PDA

View Full Version : Whooohoo! Great news!

Jean Sewing Machine
February 7th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Many of you know my sewing machine sews quilts and bags only part of the time. I spend the other hours in the sewing room as a costume designer and builder.

In the summer of 2013, my friend and I costumed the show "The Wiz". While it was a lot of work, it was probably the most creative costuming job I have done ever! We costumed our 35 players, some in over 5 different costumes, with color, ethnic masks, wacky witch costumes, and of course the 4 friends, Dorothy, Lion, Scarecrow and Tin Man. Our St. Louis theatre community has a Theatre Recognition program called Arts a For Life Best Performance Recognition. They nominate all the categories like the professional awards programs, best show, director, set design, choreography, etc. and COSTUMING! My friend and I are nominated for Best Costume Design! Whoopee! I was privileged to win the award for Best Costume Design last year for my work in "The Secret Garden". Don't know if I can pull that off 2 years in a row!

The bad news is-- the big black tie celebration is the week we're going to be in Georgia on vacation. Boohoo! I'll miss the festivities!

rebeccas-sewing
February 7th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Exciting! I hope you win, Jean.

Pandabear
February 7th, 2015, 12:10 PM
I'm rooting for you Jean!

Sylvia H
February 7th, 2015, 12:17 PM
That is wonderful. Congratulations on a well deserved recognition.

RockinLou
February 7th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Congratulations!!

Wwena
February 7th, 2015, 12:28 PM
That is awesome, Jean! Are there any pics? :D How exciting!!

quiltingtrish
February 7th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Congratulations Jean! This is awesome news!

RiverMomm
February 7th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Congratulations! We all know you are a winner in all things sewing! Jean is the QUEEN!!

Doloris
February 7th, 2015, 12:38 PM
congrats Jean. You really put a lot of time and effort into those costumes and you deserve this. Is there any way you can change a few days of your trip to Georgia so you can be there?

songbird857
February 7th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Was there ever any doubt??????????? ;) Congrats.

Andrea F
February 7th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Congratulations! How exciting! I hope you win again!

JaniceR
February 7th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Oh Jean that is so exciting!! Congratulations and I'm definitely pulling for you for a repeat win!!

Divine Daisy
February 7th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Oh but Jean... The really cool people are never there. Sooooo much more showbiz to hear 'Sadly Jean could not be here to accept her award, instead she asked the Divine Daisy to accept it on her behalf' ...........crowd roars........standing ovation with calls of Jean Jean Sewing Machine.....whistles and stamps as Daisy wobbles to the stage on her stilettos trying to hold back tears of pride for her friend and desperately hoping she doesn't fall flat on her face cause she is wearing her big pants so there is no VPL.

'Jean asked me to thank you all from the bottom of her heart and her singer' (hand waves tears away) 'She so wanted to be here tonight but duty calls. She would like to thank (gets out long list that trails to the floor~) Her co designer and fellow seamstresses, her children and grandchildren, the director and ............and............and........ Music plays louder, bouncer slips onstage to drag the Divine off, but no.....she grips the podium like a pro and sobs........and her hairdresser and.......voice fades as she is finally dragged away.

Monique
February 7th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Congratulations! We all know you are a winner in all things sewing! Jean is the QUEEN!!

I second that.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 7th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Oh but Jean... The really cool people are never there. Sooooo much more showbiz to hear 'Sadly Jean could not be here to accept her award, instead she asked the Divine Daisy to accept it on her behalf' ...........crowd roars........standing ovation with calls of Jean Jean Sewing Machine.....whistles and stamps as Daisy wobbles to the stage on her stilettos trying to hold back tears of pride for her friend and desperately hoping she doesn't fall flat on her face cause she is wearing her big pants so there is no VPL.

'Jean asked me to thank you all from the bottom of her heart and her singer' (hand waves tears away) 'She so wanted to be here tonight but duty calls. She would like to thank (gets out long list that trails to the floor~) Her co designer and fellow seamstresses, her children and grandchildren, the director and ............and............and........ Music plays louder, bouncer slips onstage to drag the Divine off, but no.....she grips the podium like a pro and sobs........and her hairdresser and.......voice fades as she is finally dragged away.
Oh please! Come and accept the award for me! Forget about vacation, I want to be there to witness this! I'll wear a mustache and hat and man's suit to come in incognito to see this spectacle! You are so kind to offer your services!

Hey, that's a much better acceptance speech than I had last year! I didn't write one, and hemmed and hawed around mumbling incoherent thoughts! But you! You would come completely prepared!

GuitarGramma
February 7th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Nothing can top The Divine Daisy's wonderful offer, but I do want to add my congratulations. It really is an honor to be nominated. Now we'll all cross our fingers for the big win!

laura44
February 7th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Congratulations! I know you worked hard!

Jean Sewing Machine
February 7th, 2015, 01:50 PM
And might I add, a round of well wishes from around the WORLD! From Canada, Sweden, the UK, Germany and Kazakhstan , even the Netherlands! You all have made me feel very important! Thanks to all!

lapeoples
February 7th, 2015, 01:51 PM
How awesome to be recognized for a job well done. Congratulations!

MayinJerset
February 7th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I'm rooting for you Jean! Me too! Glad to see your wonderful creative work recognized.

Neller
February 7th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Congrats on your nomination! It's exciting having your work recognized for excellence! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Cathy F
February 7th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Congratulations on a well deserved nomination! My money's on you to do it again!

K. McEuen
February 7th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Those were some cute costumes, you should win!

CarolynK
February 7th, 2015, 02:52 PM
That's awesome! I'm sure very well deserved as well. Rooting for you.

Amy R
February 7th, 2015, 08:52 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That's quite the honor!!

Bubby
February 7th, 2015, 08:54 PM
I would be thrilled to see you win...I always knew you were a star, Jean!!

Sandy Navas
February 7th, 2015, 09:10 PM

Well-deserved!

Kgrammiecaz
February 7th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Congratulations. And I am not surprised at all. A second win is on the horizon. How wonderful to have your hard beautiful recognized. Good luck, but do not think you need the luck.

irishrn
February 7th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Congratulations on your nomination!!! We want pics!!!

marytfnp
February 7th, 2015, 10:55 PM
COngratulations ! How wonderful. You deserve it ~!

iluvbaking
February 7th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Congratulations! I bet you're still doing the happy dance.

Mom23
February 7th, 2015, 11:57 PM
You absolutely deserve this recognition, Jean. I saw pictures of those costumes and you did a fantastic job!

Hulamoon
February 7th, 2015, 11:57 PM
How awesome! Congratulations!

bscuzz
February 8th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Congrats Jean - maybe you can't make it to the "Big Celebration BUT if you make us a 'clip' of your Happy Dance, you could have them play that at the Ceremony - that's after they're able to free DD's steel grip on the podium!! :icon_rofl:

Terry L
February 8th, 2015, 12:04 AM
WOW congratulations, what a great honor. My fingers crossed!!

AuntieVic
February 8th, 2015, 12:20 AM
Congrats Jean! I am sure your costumes will win.

Grandma G
February 8th, 2015, 01:04 AM
Fantastic! Here's hoping for a repeat!!!

stationarymom
February 8th, 2015, 02:57 AM
Congrats on the nomination! I hope you win.

ilive2craft2
February 8th, 2015, 03:03 AM
Congratulations on the nomination! Hoping you get your 2nd win!

Would love to see Daisy's acceptance speech - sounds like a hoot!

Bjvarizona
February 8th, 2015, 03:12 AM
Very impressive! I saw pix of these when I first found the Forum. Congratulations, you should be a sure thing!

Grandma Nan
February 8th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Jean, you are so deserving of this honour. I remember the pictures and it was amazing work. You always give so much so it is great to see it coming back to you. I just know you will win.

Carol336
February 8th, 2015, 09:56 AM
That's wonderful Jean, I really hope you win this prestigious award. I'm sure your costumes were wonderful.

WendyI
February 8th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Wow Jean! Thats such fantastic news! And a well deseerved nomination....i remeber you posting abour working on those and you were very busy indeed! Congratulations!

auntiemern
February 9th, 2015, 02:02 AM
I have seen your work first hand....you deserve any and all accolades you receive. Rooting for you.

BellasQuilts
February 9th, 2015, 02:06 AM
Doesn't surprise me! Congratulations, Jean!

Annav
February 9th, 2015, 07:50 AM
How awesome is that? Congrats on the nomination!

Blondie
February 9th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Fingers crossed for the hardest working seamstress and quilter I know!

Ahamblin
February 9th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Congratulations. You really do deserve it. Fingers crossed you win the award.

ceiliam
February 9th, 2015, 02:02 PM
way to go congratulations