PDA

View Full Version : Meeting Jenny in Tampa

dwil23
February 6th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Good Morning, all!

What a great time we had last night! Deborah and I arrived at the hotel where the event was held at 6:15. (Meet and greet was scheduled for 6:30). We spotted Jenny and Ron arriving at the same time. When we got inside, the room was already packed, so we didn't get the best seats in the house, for sure.

Her show was wonderful! She talked about how they got started, about each of her kids, told us the broken foot story and quite a few others, both about M* and family. She had the audience laughing all the way through. Ron held up her quilts for her and helped her demonstrate different layouts on a flannel board.

I have to say, the thing that surprised me the most was that a huge number of the audience didn't seem to know who she was! They just came for a trunk show - but I am sure they left as Jenny fans! The gasps when she showed how simple blocks were and then Ron held up the finished quilt were deafening! They clearly had not seen any of her videos :)

After the show, we waited in line for the second Meet and Greet. Unbeknownst to Deborah, I had made an 8 x 10 picture of "The Beast" for Jenny to sign for her. "The Beast" as she calls it is an enormous queen plus size bedspread (goes to the floor) that Deborah made and sent to M* for quilting. Jenny was so impressed with it, she posted a picture on Facebook. When I first introduced Deborah to M* tutorials, being the personality that she is, had ordered charm packs, a jelly roll, a layer cake, turnovers, you name it in the Benartex Rustling Leaves line and proceeded to make one square from every tutorial that Jenny had done to date. Then having all these blocks began joining them into a huge sampler quilt. It is absolutely beautiful. Just as we were approaching the front of the line, Deborah whispered to me "Do you think I should say "I'm the one who made "The Beast"? UGH. Don't spoil your surprise now!, I'm thinking. So, I quietly took it out of my oversized purse and stepped up to Jenny and said "Do you remember this?" She was so excited! and asked if I was the one who did it - "No - but she is - pointing to Deborah".
Jenny said she had been looking for the picture and could she please keep that copy - yes! She also asked Deborah for her info to get in contact with her.

We had a great time. Just as everyone has said, Jenny and Ron were lovely people. I highly recommend that if you have the chance - go to one of her shows. She did say they were going to be cutting back on her travels because people travel to the store expecting to see her and are disappointed if she is not there, which I can totally understand.

I looked for AnnieBQuilter, but, based on the description she gave me, I don't think she made it. I hope she is okay.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 6th, 2015, 10:00 AM
What a great story you have to tell! I'm so glad you got to meet Jenny and Ron in person. That is shocking that people came who had no idea who Jenny is! Of course we are biased, we know her so well through the tutorials! We have about 20 new forum members on today, I'll bet some came from your event! Thanks for sharing the story!

Shirley
February 6th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Great story! I agree, they are great people!

dwil23
February 6th, 2015, 10:15 AM
What a great story you have to tell! I'm so glad you got to meet Jenny and Ron in person. That is shocking that people came who had no idea who Jenny is! Of course we are biased, we know her so well through the tutorials! We have about 20 new forum members on today, I'll bet some came from your event! Thanks for sharing the story!

I was thinking last night that the forum membership would grow in this area today!

Sandy Navas
February 6th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Wow, Donna - just WOW. And we all want to see the picture of "The Beast"

dwil23
February 6th, 2015, 10:33 AM
And another take-away from last night, for me personally. Jenny said that 70% of quilters begin quilting because of some loss in their life - death, divorce, job, etc. At first, I thought, well, that's not me. I wanted to quilt for years, and then when I found out I was going to be a grandma, I started looking for quilt ideas for DGS. That is how I found Jenny and the famous JRR tutorial.

Reflecting on that statement later, I realized it was me. Thinking back to when I started collecting a stash with the idea that I wanted to start quilting in the 90's was when I had just unexpectedly lost my Mom. Then, while I had the happy experience of becoming a grandmother, during DIL's pregnancy, we were going through a very difficult time with DD precious doggie that had cancer and we lost him. It was a heart wrenching time, not only because we loved Dash so much, but I was so fearful of loosing DD over that, too. On top of that, my dear, dear cousin was diagnosed with cancer and her outlook was not good. I spent many hours just reading the forum and watching the tutorials. I am happy to report that my cousin is doing fine now and is planning on doing some quilting with me!

WendyI
February 6th, 2015, 10:36 AM
I want to see a pic of this "Beast" too! Sounds like an amazing time. What a great story!

ellietow
February 6th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Yes, please... A picture of "the beast" !!

Kgrammiecaz
February 6th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Donna, I am so happy to hear how much fun you all had. Now where is the "beast"........

dwil23
February 6th, 2015, 11:02 AM

Deborah, Jenny and me (on the right with the really bad hair day)and
The Beast"

Simply Quilting
February 6th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Neat quilt. I am glad that you had fun. I was wondering if I could find you in the pictures that were posted last night of the trunk show on facebook.

dwil23
February 6th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Neat quilt. I am glad that you had fun. I was wondering if I could find you in the pictures that were posted last night of the trunk show on facebook.

Thanks! I looked and didn't see any pictures from last night, can you tell me where?

AnnieBQuilter
February 6th, 2015, 01:29 PM
I was at Jenny's trunk show - just not the same one as Donna. We could have looked forever and not found each other. Both my husband and I were looking at all the name tags looking for you, but decided we just missed seeing you. The one my husband and I attended was at the Italian American Club in Ybor City (YIKES!! - not the greatest part of town in Tampa, but it was okay during the day. Not so safe at night - didn't stay there).

The one we attended was just as awesome and we both enjoyed it very much. We also were able to meet Jenny and Ron and chat with them a bit. I was amazed with the awesome quilts and recognized all of them from the tutorials. The only one I wish she would have had that she didn't was the Jacob's Ladder in the Little Gatherings fabric (because I bought that fabric to make my own), but I didn't even think about that until later. I was surprised how many people there didn't know she has tutorials!! What the . . .!! I'm not sure why someone would have been there if they didn't know Jenny Doan equals Missouri Star Quilt Company equals awesome tutorials.

It was wonderful and a good time was had by all.

Sorry we weren't at the same one, Donna. It would have been great to meet someone else from the forum.

Annie

dwil23
February 6th, 2015, 01:41 PM
I was at Jenny's trunk show - just not the same one as Donna. We could have looked forever and not found each other. Both my husband and I were looking at all the name tags looking for you, but decided we just missed seeing you. The one my husband and I attended was at the Italian American Club in Ybor City (YIKES!! - not the greatest part of town in Tampa, but it was okay during the day. Not so safe at night - didn't stay there).

The one we attended was just as awesome and we both enjoyed it very much. We also were able to meet Jenny and Ron and chat with them a bit. I was amazed with the awesome quilts and recognized all of them from the tutorials. The only one I wish she would have had that she didn't was the Jacob's Ladder in the Little Gatherings fabric (because I bought that fabric to make my own), but I didn't even think about that until later. I was surprised how many people there didn't know she has tutorials!! What the . . .!! I'm not sure why someone would have been there if they didn't know Jenny Doan equals Missouri Star Quilt Company equals awesome tutorials.

It was wonderful and a good time was had by all.

Sorry we weren't at the same one, Donna. It would have been great to meet someone else from the forum.

Annie

Are you serious? We didn't even know there was another one here!!! You are right - not the best part of town, but much closer to where we both live. We left my house at 4 in Plant City and it took us almost two hours to get to that side of town. Jenny even complained about the traffic! Who sponsored that one? Happy Apple Quilts in Palm Harbor - a really nice store, by the way, sponsored the one we went to.

Sorry we missed you, but I am relieved to hear you did get to meet Jenny and all is well! Maybe we will get to meet another time.

AnnieBQuilter
February 6th, 2015, 02:14 PM
The one we went to was sponsored by Keep Me In Stitches. I've never been there - I just found out about Jenny's trunk show on the internet. They invited everyone back to their shop which wasn't far, for desert (and an offer for everyone to buy fabric - imagine that!), but we didn't go.

Jenny was actually a bit late to ours - they were stuck in traffic (it was raining somewhat heavy off and on), but her presentation certainly made up for the delay. She really is in person just like on the tutorials.

Should I even say (do I dare?) that there was a drawing for a Babylock Sophia (I think that was the model), but I didn't win it. I really can't say that I'm disappointed because I have a very nice Janome 6600 that I love for my piecing and we just bought a Janome 9900 for embroidery - so I am really set, most likely for the rest of my life.

Annie

dwil23
February 6th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Oh, yes. KMIS. Very high pressure on the sewing machine sales, I have found.

"No Thanks, not interested in buying a $5000 machine, mine is just fine, - just need a couple of yards of blue fabric, thank you"

Midge
February 6th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Donna, how nice to hear your story of the trunk show. It sounds as delightful as I imagined it would be. I too am rather surprised so many people would turn out to a trunk show without knowing about the presenter. And I'm also surprised that once they agreed to go they didn't get on the internet and find out who she is. Guess everyone still isn't computer literate. I tend to forget that at times. Not at all surprised to hear Jenny and Ron are as nice and personable in real life as on the web. There is just a genuineness in those tutorials that shines through.

Jess1377
February 6th, 2015, 02:41 PM
What an exciting time you had!! I just love your surprise for Deborah, it was so very sweet!!!