PDA

View Full Version : Homeward bound

Wwena
February 6th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Just a quick post to check in with you all. Typing this in front of the playhouse at hotel Cordial, Puerto de Mogan, Gran Canaria, where we've spent a great week (not all the week in the playhouse!) away from the snow and cold at home.

Internet access has been a bit sketchy to say the least, so I have a lot to catch up on here when I get back home. Speaking of home, Ive decided to go on a strict diet to lose some weight and so not to go crazy, I will have to do lots of sewing. Theres a bright side to everything, right? ;) No more of these!

100341 100342

Anyway, hope you are all doing well! :)

Monique
February 6th, 2015, 07:57 AM
I am glad you had lots of fun.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 6th, 2015, 09:03 AM
I had to Google map where Gran Canaria was, looks very tropical! Sounds like you had a great time! The food looks delicious!

Bubby
February 6th, 2015, 09:05 AM
The food doesn't look fattening to me at all. Glad you warmed up and had such a great time.

Grandma Nan
February 6th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Wow it looks like you are having a wonderful holiday. I love the looks of that sangria drink. Hope you have a safe trip home.

YellowCockatiel
February 6th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Wow it looks like you are having a wonderful holiday. I love the looks of that sangria drink. Hope you have a safe trip home.

I haven't had a sangria drink since the warm days of summer. I have an awesome recipe to make some. Maybe I'll make some to celebrate the warm 40 degree weather that we're expecting this weekend!

Anna ~ I'm sure you have a wonderful vacation, but I think your sewing machine missed you.

Midge
February 6th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Anna, what a lovely trip. Something to savor for the remaining days of winter when you return home. Yes, we pay a price to indulge in such yummy looking meals, but so worth it! Sewing makes me forget about eating too. I don't want to stop and prepare a meal or go out.

Cathy F
February 6th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Looks like you had a wonderful vacation! Ahhhh, to have some of that warm weather right about now and no piles of snow!

WendyI
February 6th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Wow...looks like you had a great time! Thanks for letting us know!

Angelia
February 6th, 2015, 04:28 PM
What a wonderful vacation spot! My husband's grandmother's family was from the Canary Islands--lovely place. :)

Wwena
February 6th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Thanks so much! The Canary islands are indeed exotic, made by vulcanoes all those eons ago, off the northwest coast of Africa. Over here they are not thought of as exotic anymore though - so easy to go to nowadays; even from our small town of Írebro there are direct flights. I think they are splendid, each of the island is unique. It's really strange that they differ so much from each other, when they are so close. Which one is your husband's realtives from, Angelia? :)

My body will find a way to make anything fattening, it seems... But I don't think it had to try real hard with that sweet (and strong) sangria or the oily bruschettas. ;) I do love em! I've not made my own sangria in ages, I'd just drink it all if I did lol.

I did miss my sewing machine and but I'm not sure it missed me... I think it might have liked its time off! Our snow blower though has rested enough - DH is prepping to go out and give it a workout now (it's just after 10 PM and we just got home), since we've had a LOT of snow and while our nice neighbours have kept the sidewalk reasonably "open" the agrden paths are really snowed over and our poor mailperson has had to get through a lot of snow to get to our mailbox lol. I'm predicting some accusatory notes in our mailbox...

Off to get the kids to bed!

stationarymom
February 7th, 2015, 02:15 AM
Glad you had a nice trip away from the snow and cold,right now I would give anything for that we have up to another 18" coming this way .

rebeccas-sewing
February 7th, 2015, 06:24 AM
Glad you're having fun! Safe journey home.

Andrea F
February 7th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Anna, looks like you had a great time and the kids had lots of fun. I can almost see and feel the sun when I look at your photos.

We went to a 'Center Park' here in Germany (wait, no, I think it was in the Netherlands) 20 years ago and that was the only time we saw a indoor playground/playhouse, DS#1 loved it, DS#2 was a baby then. Gran Canaria is such a beautiful island. Did you try some of those potatoes with the salt crust they eat there? I was to Gran Canaria once (also almost 20 years ago) and I know I had some but I can't remember if I liked them. Anyway, good to hear you got home safely and back to your lonely machine.

irishrn
February 7th, 2015, 09:45 AM
So,glad you had a great vacation!

Wwena
February 7th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Anna, looks like you had a great time and the kids had lots of fun. I can almost see and feel the sun when I look at your photos.

We went to a 'Center Park' here in Germany (wait, no, I think it was in the Netherlands) 20 years ago and that was the only time we saw a indoor playground/playhouse, DS#1 loved it, DS#2 was a baby then. Gran Canaria is such a beautiful island. Did you try some of those potatoes with the salt crust they eat there? I was to Gran Canaria once (also almost 20 years ago) and I know I had some but I can't remember if I liked them. Anyway, good to hear you got home safely and back to your lonely machine.

The playground above actually wasn't indoor (sign of how good the weather is down there!), but we have a HUGE one here in Írebro that is - we call the hotel one "mini-Lek o bus" since the big one here is called "Lek- och buslandet" (roughly translated: Land of play and mischief).

I've tried those potatoes too but that was a long time ago... Not sure I cared for them much lol. They seem to be a bigger thing on Tenerife than on Gran Canaria? Or maybe we went to more Italian than Spanish restaurants this time. :)

Andrea F
February 7th, 2015, 01:11 PM
The playground above actually wasn't indoor (sign of how good the weather is down there!), but we have a HUGE one here in Írebro that is - we call the hotel one "mini-Lek o bus" since the big one here is called "Lek- och buslandet" (roughly translated: Land of play and mischief).

I've tried those potatoes too but that was a long time ago... Not sure I cared for them much lol. They seem to be a bigger thing on Tenerife than on Gran Canaria? Or maybe we went to more Italian than Spanish restaurants this time. :)

We have some of those indoor playgrounds in many cities now, even in our small town. I wish they existed when my kids were little. But I don't think there are outdoor playhouses here, lol. I like the name of the playground in your town :)

I haven't been to Tenerife yet, so I don't know. I only remember that we took a island tour back then and they told us those potatoes were kind of a national dish. We've been to Turkey several times but after feeling so crappy there last year I'm done with Turkey for now and we need a new place to go for vacation. The canary islands are an option for sure. Or maybe Greece. We always have to consider what they serve to eat. Hubby only eats minced meat and two weeks living vegetarian is not what he's looking for... :icon_giggle:

lourixe
February 7th, 2015, 10:14 PM
I think the Canary Islands are for us Europeans, the same than Florida is for Americans, a place to take a rest from long gloomy nasty winters. One of my cousins lives on Fuerteventura island, a paradise for surfers. Last time she visited me, she fell in love with the Celtic Solstice quilt I've made after Bonnie Hunter's pattern, so I gave it to her. She doesn't need it for sleeping in that warm climate, she's using it as decor in the surf shop she owns.
I'm glad you could take a break from snow. This cold spell has been during quite a while.

Wwena
February 8th, 2015, 07:20 AM
We have some of those indoor playgrounds in many cities now, even in our small town. I wish they existed when my kids were little. But I don't think there are outdoor playhouses here, lol. I like the name of the playground in your town :)

I haven't been to Tenerife yet, so I don't know. I only remember that we took a island tour back then and they told us those potatoes were kind of a national dish. We've been to Turkey several times but after feeling so crappy there last year I'm done with Turkey for now and we need a new place to go for vacation. The canary islands are an option for sure. Or maybe Greece. We always have to consider what they serve to eat. Hubby only eats minced meat and two weeks living vegetarian is not what he's looking for... :icon_giggle:

I can highly recommend the valley we stayed in on Gran Canaria, Puerto de Mogan. Good beach, nice hotels (check out the Cordial ones) and a wonderful string of restaurants. Lots of Italian restaurants in that mix, which should mean he can eat well. :) The local bus can take you to the other valleys (every 20 mins!) and there's a direct bus to Las Palmas. We took the bus to see my parents, who were staying in San Augustin. It took some time on the local bus, but we got to see a lot on the way and knew where we wanted to go for our next excursion. There are also boats (evey 30 mins) that access Puerto Rico (and from there it's an easy walk to the beautiful beach of Almadores) and Arguineguin. We took those a couple of times as well, they are much faster than the bus but somewhat pricier.

I've not been to Turkey but DH came home with a sever stomach bug (close cousin of salmonella, but easier to treat thankfully) and while I know it's unlikely to get it, I prefer going to other places lol. (I'm also not a big fan of how they treat their minorities but that's probably not a discussion for this forum.)

Go to Gran Can! :D

Andrea F
February 8th, 2015, 08:48 AM
I can highly recommend the valley we stayed in on Gran Canaria, Puerto de Mogan. Good beach, nice hotels (check out the Cordial ones) and a wonderful string of restaurants. Lots of Italian restaurants in that mix, which should mean he can eat well. :) The local bus can take you to the other valleys (every 20 mins!) and there's a direct bus to Las Palmas. We took the bus to see my parents, who were staying in San Augustin. It took some time on the local bus, but we got to see a lot on the way and knew where we wanted to go for our next excursion. There are also boats (evey 30 mins) that access Puerto Rico (and from there it's an easy walk to the beautiful beach of Almadores) and Arguineguin. We took those a couple of times as well, they are much faster than the bus but somewhat pricier.

I've not been to Turkey but DH came home with a sever stomach bug (close cousin of salmonella, but easier to treat thankfully) and while I know it's unlikely to get it, I prefer going to other places lol. (I'm also not a big fan of how they treat their minorities but that's probably not a discussion for this forum.)

Go to Gran Can! :D

That sounds really nice. I read it to DH and he also said it sounds good, he likes pizza.

Oh no, I just googled it and now I want to go there. Now. :D

If I find someone who sponsors me, Florida would definitely be an option too...

Wwena
February 8th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Haha! Go for it!

Yeah we are taking the kids to London this summer, to get them used to city vacationing (as opposed to beach etc). My long term plan is to be able to take them to Florida and other US places once they are older! And I've saved up the money lol.