PDA

View Full Version : Do you clean out your emails?

MayinJerset
February 5th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Everyone once in awhile I delete the emails I received. Somehow I never thought of the ones that I sent until this morning when I noticed I had several hundred sent messages saved going back to mid 2013! Took awhile to delete them but they are gone and good riddance.

rebeccas-sewing
February 5th, 2015, 04:29 PM
I try to keep my email cleaned up but I don't delete the ones I've sent. I guess I should do that.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 5th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I am bad about this. I have thousands of unread emails, every so often I attempt a purge, but never get too far on the task!

Sandy Navas
February 5th, 2015, 05:49 PM
I clean mine up daily. I will admit that I do file certain e-mails if I think I may need them later (addresses, receipts, etc.) but I also periodically go through those and wipe them out if they are say over six months old.

MayinJerset
February 5th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Must have deleted 20 pages w/ 35 emails on them (700) before I found the Empty button, it deleted 850 - Wow that's 1550 sent emails. Going to make sure when I delete the old received emails I also delete some of the sent ones.

Sandy Navas
February 5th, 2015, 08:13 PM
Depending upon your e-mail provider/system, you may be able to set something that prevents all the SENT e-mails from being saved. I use gmail and that is an option.

MayinJerset
February 5th, 2015, 08:19 PM
I'll search around Hotmail to see what options they offer. Might as well check my yahoo email also.

Marebear
February 5th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I seldom get rid of mine. I do delete every day, but don't go through the deleted files. My DH thinks I'm nuts. If he gets 20 emails in his Inbox he has anxiety issues LOL - I bet I have thousands :D

kimsophia
February 5th, 2015, 08:24 PM
I don't clear out my sent emails. I consider them "my diary". I do sometimes clear out the front page of my inbox from all the old Jo-Ann's emails.

shirleyknot
February 5th, 2015, 09:03 PM
I like to keep mine stripped as clean as possible, filing only the few that have info I use a lot.

Carlie Wolf
February 5th, 2015, 10:05 PM
I should but no. I use the Thunderbird email program and it annoys the life out of me that I cannot just download them to my hard drive and then pull them up in the text program like I use to. I use to download them and then delete what I didn't want from the text program. Seems you cannot do that anymore. Bummer. Soooooooooooo, they just sit there until hell freezes over.

Grandma G
February 5th, 2015, 10:37 PM
I like to keep mine stripped as clean as possible, filing only the few that have info I use a lot.

My son would totally agree with you. Since he's an IT guy he checks out my computer and updates whatever needs updating. I know I'm in trouble when he looks at how many emails have built up. That is when I hear "Mother, really???"

Angelia
February 6th, 2015, 01:57 AM
I keep my inbox clean, and I have lots of files to organize those I save. I clean my sent mail every month or so.

snippet
February 6th, 2015, 02:18 AM
I'm a zero inbox person. When I go to email, I do something with it - delete, store, or take action. It's one of the things I learned from the book, Getting Things Done. I have loved it ever since I started doing this.

I use flags and tags to keep track of where things are.

jjkaiser
February 6th, 2015, 02:42 AM
Delete sent and recd. Weekly. Yeah I know I'm a geek. But I use a kindle andtherez no delete all button. You haveto deleteone at a time. So now you know why I need to do it weekly or else!

Genny
February 6th, 2015, 02:50 AM
I clean mine out every day. I also clean out the Junk Mail daily.

Gina
February 6th, 2015, 06:15 PM
I just realized a few weeks ago that I had never emptied my trash bin on my phone. I deleted the emails as soon as I read them...Never occurred to me to dump the trash. Lol! I have had the phone for 2 years. There were1900 items in there....Took an hour to get them all deleted.

shirleyknot
February 6th, 2015, 06:40 PM
When your 'net service gets a little slow, and your mail isn't loading instantly, stop and think how many old emails you are keeping to overload the servers instead of blaming the service.

LoveMyMachines
February 6th, 2015, 11:41 PM
I either terrible or focussed on what is important. I set my inbox to delete items older than a specific date, but always have lots of unread emails. I keep different email addresses for different things. I need to stop forwarding them or reading them all in one place though. I receive so much spam, I have become talented at filtering by who it is from.

RockinLou
February 7th, 2015, 02:36 AM
I like to keep mine tidy... I've I subscribed from almost everything, especially as I don't actually live in the states, I don't need daily coupons!

Mostly I delete as they are received, but sometimes I find that I have a months worth of chat between my sisters and I all saved up, I mostly access my email from my iPad so it is harder to manage. Once in awhile I log on from a real computer and trash a bunch at once.

As for work emails, I think I have about 3000 in there, but I never like to deleted them, in teach goings sometimes come up that happened a ridiculously long time ago, and it's nice to be able to access my own trail of evidence when a sticky situation arises.