PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Handbag

GlendaM
February 5th, 2015, 03:31 PM
I just ordered a Concealed Carry Handbag and hope I am going to like it. Does anyone here have one, and if so what kind??? What are your likes and dislikes??

Jean Sewing Machine
February 5th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Is this a ready made item or a pattern? I never heard of these, but I don't carry a weapon either.

Amy R
February 5th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Oh!!! If mama ever gets her license switched I will have to get her one!

K. McEuen
February 5th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Shirley has one.

GlendaM
February 5th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Is this a ready made item or a pattern? I never heard of these, but I don't carry a weapon either.

Jean it is a ready made. This is the one I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JL2C650/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jean Sewing Machine
February 5th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Interesting! Since my city has the dubious distinction of being the most dangerous city in America, maybe this would be of interest to future customers of mine. It would be easy to build these compartments and use a luggage lock to lock it. Gives me the chills to think of carrying a gun.

PS. Love the matching underwear in the Amazon ad!

K. McEuen
February 5th, 2015, 04:04 PM
That is a nice looking CC bag, a lot are not. Jean, they used to have a line of CC carry underwear called Thunderpants.

GlendaM
February 5th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Interesting! Since my city has the dubious distinction of being the most dangerous city in America, maybe this would be of interest to future customers of mine. It would be easy to build these compartments and use a luggage lock to lock it. Gives me the chills to think of carrying a gun.

PS. Love the matching underwear in the Amazon ad!

I am almost 60 years old and have used guns all my life for hunting. I grew up and still live in the country. I was raised with guns and taught to respect them. The way things are these days I would rather be safe than sorry.

bubba
February 5th, 2015, 04:24 PM
I have a pattern to make one, but I have yet to do so. They also sell those purses at Cabella's if you live near one.

K. McEuen
February 5th, 2015, 04:30 PM
It would be easy to build these compartments and use a luggage lock to lock it. Gives me the chills to think of carrying a gun.

If you make one - line the outer gun compartment with fabric that doesn't have any type of lint. Not good to have the barrel of your gun get all linty. Also, nix the luggage lock idea. The purpose of carrying a concealed weapon is to have ease of access to it at all times. On the purse on Amazon you will notice that the compartment has a zipper on either side, this is so they don't have to sell right and left handed versions of the same purse. You would need to make sure the straps and where they are connected are reinforced well since a gun, even a small one adds quite a bit of weight to a bag.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 5th, 2015, 04:50 PM
If you make one - line the outer gun compartment with fabric that doesn't have any type of lint. Not good to have the barrel of your gun get all linty. Also, nix the luggage lock idea. The purpose of carrying a concealed weapon is to have ease of access to it at all times. On the purse on Amazon you will notice that the compartment has a zipper on either side, this is so they don't have to sell right and left handed versions of the same purse. You would need to make sure the straps and where they are connected are reinforced well since a gun, even a small one adds quite a bit of weight to a bag.well, I agree that locks would impede you getting to your weapon, but the one Glenda posted has a lock and key on it. I heard just recently of a little kid getting into his mom's conceal carry purse and took the gun out, fired it and killed himself. So, are the guns supposed to be locked up or not?

bubba
February 5th, 2015, 04:52 PM
There was also, in Idaho shortly before Christmas, the little boy who got his moms gun from a purse like this, while at Walmart. He pulled the trigger and shot and killed his mother.

GlendaM
February 5th, 2015, 04:58 PM
well, I agree that locks would impede you getting to your weapon, but the one Glenda posted has a lock and key on it. I heard just recently of a little kid getting into his mom's conceal carry purse and took the gun out, fired it and killed himself. So, are the guns supposed to be locked up or not?

I choose this one because of this, I have 3 young grandsons that are with me often. That way when they are at the house it will be locked. All my other guns are in a gun safe, always locked!

meliswan
February 5th, 2015, 05:03 PM
This is the one that I have, School Girl Satchel (http://thewellarmedwoman.com/ccw-purses/school-girl-satchel).

I love it. It has a slash proof strap and is big enough that I can put my ipad in the main compartment (that does make it VERY heavy though). It was a little pricey, but I think it was well worth it. I have had it over a year and have no complaints, other than it can get heavy when I cram a bunch of extra stuff in it. I looked around for a pattern to make one, but decided to purchase for my main purse. If I find a patter I like I may make a "weekend" purse.

bubba
February 5th, 2015, 05:11 PM
I'll pull mine out when I go upstairs and let you know what it's called.

meliswan
February 5th, 2015, 05:11 PM
I have a pattern to make one, but I have yet to do so. They also sell those purses at Cabella's if you live near one.

I didn't like any at any of the sporting good stores because most of them were light pink, teal, or tan and had those black pointy studs all over and large "chains" as the straps.

meliswan
February 5th, 2015, 05:16 PM
I'll pull mine out when I go upstairs and let you know what it's called.

sounds good, I have made lots of simple tote bags. I have not tried anything complicated yet. I do have two patterns for duffle bags that I'm afraid to try. When I get brave enough I may have to send you a msg for advice! All that tissue paper scares me!!

Jean Sewing Machine
February 5th, 2015, 05:17 PM
There was also, in Idaho shortly before Christmas, the little boy who got his moms gun from a purse like this, while at Walmart. He pulled the trigger and shot and killed his mother.
Oh, that's the one I was talking about. I think there was one where the kid killed his sibling, and one where the kid shot himself. It's very scary. I had two guns when I lived in the country. I was ready to get lessons on how to shoot when our lives were interrupted by brain cancer ( my husband's) so I sold the guns to move to the city. Here's where I probably need them!

K. McEuen
February 5th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Duh, yes, they can be locked when they aren't in use. I was thinking of when you are actually carrying them.

We just recently had the same thing happen out here - kid in a shopping cart, I think he was 3 or so got hold of mom's gun and shot her, dad, etc. Luckily no one was killed. One rule when carrying concealed is to keep your weapon on you. That purse should never be set in a cart if it contains a weapon.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 5th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Karen says to use a non linty lining. What constitutes a non linty lining? Ultrasuede? Would that work?

I can't believe I'm involved in this conversation! I'm supposed to be making quilts!

K. McEuen
February 5th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Ultrasuede might be ok and still have enough weight to it to hold up. Most blended fabrics have a lot less lint than 100% cotton.

cyndiofthevortex
February 5th, 2015, 05:24 PM
There is never a lack of interesting things to read about on this forum!

K. McEuen
February 5th, 2015, 05:26 PM
There is never a lack of interesting things to read about on this forum!

Cyndi wants hers done in batiks.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 5th, 2015, 05:26 PM
This is the one that I have, School Girl Satchel (http://thewellarmedwoman.com/ccw-purses/school-girl-satchel).

I love it. It has a slash proof strap and is big enough that I can put my ipad in the main compartment (that does make it VERY heavy though). It was a little pricey, but I think it was well worth it. I have had it over a year and have no complaints, other than it can get heavy when I cram a bunch of extra stuff in it. I looked around for a pattern to make one, but decided to purchase for my main purse. If I find a patter I like I may make a "weekend" purse.

That was another question I had, does the compartment have a holster? Or are the guns just supposed to fit rather snugly in the zipper compartment? I see your leather one has a holster in the compartment.

K. McEuen
February 5th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Some have rigid holsters, like the one in Meliswan's purse. Some have gun shaped pockets (for lack of knowing what else to call them) inside the compartment to keep the weapon in the correct position to be able to reach in and grab it easily.

GlendaM
February 5th, 2015, 05:52 PM

Melissa, Do you mind sharing where you purchased your bag, who makes it??? Love it!

I would love to make one as well! Thanks

K. McEuen
February 5th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Melissa, Do you mind sharing where you purchased your bag, who makes it??? Love it!

I would love to make one as well! Thanks

Click the link in her post - School Girl Satchel

Liberty
February 5th, 2015, 06:06 PM
I have a Concealed Carrie brand purse. I love it!

I picked mine up at a gun shop, Element Arms in MN. :)

GlendaM
February 5th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Click the link in her post - School Girl Satchel

Thanks Karen, I just missed that. It's that being over 50 thing!!! :)

bubba
February 5th, 2015, 06:25 PM

Here is the pattern info......I would think you could use some heavy ripstop nylon for lint free fabric. That is what holsters are made of.

meliswan
February 5th, 2015, 06:35 PM

Here is the pattern info......I would think you could use some heavy ripstop nylon for lint free fabric. That is what holsters are made of.

How funny, when I was looking at patterns this is the only one I was seriously considering! I had forgotten all about it. I think I may have to go ahead and get it.

meliswan
February 5th, 2015, 06:43 PM
I just ordered a Concealed Carry Handbag and hope I am going to like it. Does anyone here have one, and if so what kind??? What are your likes and dislikes??

When you get your purse let us know how you like it. I'm curious if you lose space in the main pocket when you have your gun in it. I had heard that this was a problem with softer purses, like they share the same amount of space. Does that make sense? That is another reason why I choose the style I did, because of the external pocket. I also just really like the cross body style. I hope that you enjoy it.

GlendaM
February 5th, 2015, 06:50 PM
When you get your purse let us know how you like it. I'm curious if you lose space in the main pocket when you have your gun in it. I had heard that this was a problem with softer purses, like they share the same amount of space. Does that make sense? That is another reason why I choose the style I did, because of the external pocket. I also just really like the cross body style. I hope that you enjoy it.

I will let you know, I was concerned about that too. I what enough room but not so heavy.

Sandy Navas
February 5th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Jean it is a ready made. This is the one I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JL2C650/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't care what you have in it, that is one gorgeous bag (I have a weakness for leather . . . no comments, Carrie).

I'd say you probably could stash a flask, too!!

Sandy Navas
February 5th, 2015, 06:57 PM
That is a nice looking CC bag, a lot are not. Jean, they used to have a line of CC carry underwear called Thunderpants.

. . . I can think of several other reasons for that name . . .

Amy R
February 5th, 2015, 07:28 PM
**giggle** at Sandy.

This is on our list of to do's, not sure if I will carry I have no offense to it whatsoever just depends on if we get 1 or 2.

buckeyequilter
February 5th, 2015, 07:35 PM
Here is one of mine, I have 2 or 3. When I'm carrying, I don't lock it.

Cathy F
February 5th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Just saw this thread and had to read through it. Gotta tell ya I got a good chuckle when I saw the "thunderpants" in the Amazon link!

Carrie J
February 5th, 2015, 07:51 PM
I don't care what you have in it, that is one gorgeous bag (I have a weakness for leather . . . no comments, Carrie).

Moi?!?!?!

EVERY gal need some leather in her life.....................!!!!!

Carrie J
February 5th, 2015, 08:01 PM
It's a state of mind here in Texas, and everyone in my family has a CCP. But, then we all were taught how to handle firearms from a young age. These purses are great, and the "Thunder Pants", OMG, showed DH those and we both died laughing!!! I'd get 'em just for the name of the product!

GlendaM
February 5th, 2015, 08:25 PM

Sandy you are so funny, I LOVE leather too!!! Hadn't thought about the flask!!!! :)

GlendaM
February 5th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Here is one of mine, I have 2 or 3. When I'm carrying, I don't lock it.

Love your bag Shirley. Do you have a favorite of the ones you have???? Likes and dislikes???

kimsophia
February 5th, 2015, 08:30 PM
This thread makes me think of the movie "Nine to Five" when Dolly Parton says "I shot a hole clean through my purse!" :D

Jean Sewing Machine
February 5th, 2015, 09:17 PM

Those kitties are deceiving as to what this purse is carrying! Cordura nylon is the heavy weight stuff I've seen holsters made if. ( oK, I was looking for a prop for a play!)

buckeyequilter
February 5th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Love your bag Shirley. Do you have a favorite of the ones you have???? Likes and dislikes???

I like the one in the photo....it's a heavier leather so the gun doesn't print. I carry a featherweight revolver, some of those guns can get heavy real quick with that purse on your shoulder.

I try my purses on for fit, you don't want it too low or too far from your hand. You also want to make sure you can reposition the holster because if you need that gun you need to be able to get it quickly, without searching around for it.

I was at a festival and a guy was selling leather CC purses. He looked around to see if anyone was nearby and told me I could try my gun in it, if I had the gun with me. So I did.

meliswan
February 5th, 2015, 09:49 PM
This thread makes me think of the movie "Nine to Five" when Dolly Parton says "I shot a hole clean through my purse!" :D

I don't remember which website it was, but one site said that if you had to shot through your purse they would replace it for free.

bubba
February 5th, 2015, 09:54 PM
If you live near Cabella's, go look at theirs....they are beautiful! I think Bass Pro Shop carries them as well.

GlendaM
February 5th, 2015, 10:22 PM
If you live near Cabella's, go look at theirs....they are beautiful! I think Bass Pro Shop carries them as well.

We don't have Cabela's in FL. We do have Bass Pro but, I have never seen them in the one nearest to me which is an hour away.

Bubby
February 5th, 2015, 10:46 PM
When I carried regularly I used a shoulder holster because I wore a jacket most of the time and my hands could be free. I liked the idea of being able to draw down on someone without looking away to find my weapon. When I needed to carry in a purse, I preferred a satchel style.

LoveMyMachines
February 6th, 2015, 12:47 AM
A thread I didn't think I would see here!
I have a CC purse (or two... Have to have more than one color!), but carry in holsters most of the time. I find summer clothing as not as conducive to concealment, so I do have a purse for the time needed. Mine are cross body, heavier leather, with removable, repositionable (with industrial Velcro) holsters. Access is everything.
They do feel heavy.
I've honestly only ever used the locking mechanism when I was visiting friends homes, especially with children. While carrying, I never take my purse off. If I come home, they are locked up., never left in the purse. I have two children and have taught them safety and gun awareness, but do not take any risks.
I'm curious how the soft leather will hold up and if it tends to rub over time. Let us know how you like it!
Since I've had children, I haven't spent as much time at the range. I used to take classes and participate in some practical shooting groups, even an all ladies "club".

bubba
February 6th, 2015, 12:48 AM
I have no CC, purse or anything! Just MM....wherever he is, his gun is!

snippet
February 6th, 2015, 02:24 AM
I don't have my CCP yet, but my cousins do. They just keep them in their cases in their purses and take them out and set them in the car middle section when they drive. I'll have to check out the purses at Cabela's though.

Vonnie
February 6th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Why am I thinking of Granny from Beverly Hillbillies? :icon_rolleyes:

I had to carry a gun for a while for one of the jobs I had. That gun gets heavy if you have to carry it around all day. Luckily I only ever had to fire it at the firing range.