PDA

View Full Version : Migraines are not for wimps

RiverMomm
February 4th, 2015, 09:08 PM
I don't normally get migraines often. Maybe one every 3-4 years. Saturday I ended up with a doozy. Once it was over, I felt better until today. Yep, #2. And why is it that my body aches after a migraine? I mean, it's in my head, not my body. Anyway, I figure I should be migraine free for at least the next 8 years.

On a weirdly positive note, the visual effects that preceded the pain were beautifully vibrant half square triangles.

ilive2craft2
February 4th, 2015, 09:10 PM
They are awful and some of the after affects are doozies, too! I don't get any auras, but yours sound beautiful!

bubba
February 4th, 2015, 09:17 PM
I feel for you!!! I had one all weekend. I attribute it to not having any popcorn recently. When I worked, I ate it every morning for breakfast. I was in a bad car accident where I had a head injury that led to amnesia and migraines. Well, nothing worked for the headaches, and then one month I read in the readers digest that eating popcorn helps them (I was getting several a day then). So, I started eating popcorn every morning and after a couple months, they stopped! I try to eat it it at least a couple times a week, but I think it had been about two weeks since I had any and it was bad!!! Won't be doing that again!

Lightwriter
February 4th, 2015, 09:21 PM
The migraine "hangovers" can make you feel like you have been run over by a big truck....and then it stopped, backed up, and ran over you again. I think it is the brain clearing itself of all the junk that goes on during a migraine. I have migraines chronically and wouldn't wish them on ANYONE. Hope it is truly 8 years (or more!!) before you have another.

Mpyles
February 4th, 2015, 09:30 PM
I feel for you!!! I had one all weekend. I attribute it to not having any popcorn recently. When I worked, I ate it every morning for breakfast. I was in a bad car accident where I had a head injury that led to amnesia and migraines. Well, nothing worked for the headaches, and then one month I read in the readers digest that eating popcorn helps them (I was getting several a day then). So, I started eating popcorn every morning and after a couple months, they stopped! I try to eat it it at least a couple times a week, but I think it had been about two weeks since I had any and it was bad!!! Won't be doing that again!
That's very interesting! Who'd da thought that! I know msg triggers migraines for me...but haven't heard of anything to eat to prevent them. Thanks!

MomGram
February 4th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Wow I'm going to try the pop corn. I love it so a couple times a week will be fun. I think the muscle aches come from us tensing up during the migraine.

Doloris
February 4th, 2015, 09:48 PM
when my Dr put me on a low dose of blood pressure medicine to regulate my heart rate she asked me if I got migraines. I told her yes, at least once a month. She said the blood pressure medicine would help that too. That was many years ago and I don't remember the last migraine I had. I always knew one was coming because I would have a blank spot in the center of my vision.

lourixe
February 4th, 2015, 10:05 PM
I didn't know about popcorn helping prevent migraines, but it's worth giving it a try. I know there are certain things you should avoid, like some types of cheese and white wine.

RhondaRae
February 4th, 2015, 10:11 PM
My mom and I and one of my sons had terrible migraines. the no sound no light awful nausea kind with terrible pain. My son started getting them at the age of 5(he's now 38). We now have a chiropractor in the family and as long as he keeps the neck in place and you don't skip eating we have all been migraine free as long as we go see Ben regularly.

With working on the computer and quilting I put alot of strain on my neck. It is always out when I go to see my son in law Dr Ben

Jean Sewing Machine
February 4th, 2015, 10:54 PM

My new bathroom curtain, rug and towels--makes me think of a migraine aura! I'd better not stay in there too long!

Carlie Wolf
February 4th, 2015, 11:08 PM
I'm fortunate as I don't seem to get that horrible pain so many people do. It's only been maybe the last three years that I do get the blank spots in my vision. I don't think I get auras because they are in black and white not color. I have no idea what prompts them although I think in my case it is stress related. Chocolate milk might occasionally get one started too but I'm not sure. If I lay down and take a nap it takes care of it but for the most part they don't last more than a half hr and fortunately little or no pain. I'm very lucky.

Simply Quilting
February 4th, 2015, 11:21 PM
I hate getting migraines. There are several things that will trigger mine that we know of (some of which like weather I have no control over) and a few times, I've not figured out what the trigger was. I use to be able to go to the ER for the most severe ones (maybe once or twice per year) and get a couple of shots to knock me out so that I could sleep and it would get better. But ER is too expensive to go to and the doctor's office does not consider them important enough to be able to get in or go to the walk-in clinic. So I just try to go to bed and sleep the most severe ones off.

The day after, I am just exhausted. I think it is because the body has been trying to fight the pain.

snippet
February 4th, 2015, 11:22 PM
I'm a migraine sufferer and hate them. After it's over I feel so worn out - like a wet noodle. My trigger is weather changes, the barometric pressure actually. When my doc put me on blood pressure medicine it nearly eliminated them. I just have to remember to take them regularly.

That's so interesting about the popcorn! I would have never thought of that. I drink Big Red soda and eat tortillas for mine, but it just makes the migraine milder.

RhondaRae
February 4th, 2015, 11:29 PM
My DD had spinal migraines when she had her dd. The dr told her to take caffeine pills for it. She also drinks alot of chamomile tea for the pain also.

Quiltfreestyle
February 5th, 2015, 02:21 AM
I have so much sympathy for all you Forum folks who suffer from migraines. One of my old friends use to suffer terribly from them. She not only had the pain but light & sound was unbearable & she would get nauseous from it. She tried all kinds of things, drugs & diet changes & homeopathic stuff. Nothing helped for long but she said she finally grew out of them when she went thru menopause.
Hope you all can find some relief..

Amy R
February 5th, 2015, 10:25 AM
I woke up with one this morning. Yuck.

WendyI
February 5th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I get tension headaches which are almost as bad...the nausea is not fun. I don't have aura's but the pain is excruciating. My sister suffers terribly from migraines...has to go the hospital to get a shot of something to help calm them down quite frequently. Migraines and tension headaches are def. not for wimps. Glad yours has passed. xox

Vonnie
February 5th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Nothing but time helps mine. Woke up with one this morning about 1 am. Read Bubba's post about the popcorn. Tried it. Was delicious but still have the migraine. I also take blood pressure medicine - does not help. The pills the doctor gave me I don't take anymore because the side affects can be worse than the migraine. On the far side of "the change" so can't look forward to that. Mine are mostly weather related. :(

A couple of years ago had a strange experience. Vision problems. Looked like ragged lightening. Would last for 15 - 20 minutes but no pain. After it happened the second time DH insisted I go to the doctor. He said it was octular migraines and are usually painless and nothing will help it. Asked him what I should do if I'm driving when it hits and he said just to pull over and wait it out. Luckily for me the only time this happened my oldest son was in the car with me and I pulled over to let him drive. It's been a while since I had one and do not know what brings it on. At least there is no pain with them.

Over40momma
February 5th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Barometric migrainer here too. Mine started when I was near 16 and both my mother and her mother suffered from them. I have learned to just try to ride em out in a dark room and pray for either sleep or death. The only other pain I can ever remember hitting that level had to be childbirth. But I think the migraines last longer.

kaydee
February 5th, 2015, 01:42 PM
I have only had one in my life. I was 18. It hurt so bad I thought I was dying, and I didn't even care! When someone who has a headache says they have a "migraine" it actually kind of annoys me. They have no idea . . .

I didn't get a beautiful aura. My vision was impaired such that when I looked at something, I could only see half of it. I got it as I walked home from school. When I got home, my mother was lying sick in bed and told me I had to go to the drug store to pick something up for her. I did it because there was no denying my mother. I actually drove there with that visual impairment. The pain started while I was at the store. When I got home I pretty much collapsed in pain. (I had a history of passing out, so my mother actually paid attention at that point.)

Funny, it was a long time ago, but I still remember it. Traumatic. I hope it is indeed at least eight years before you get another one. They are horrible, and I feel sorry for anyone who gets them repeatedly.

Take care.

Snip Snip
February 5th, 2015, 09:46 PM
I get those ocular migraines too, I am so thankful they are not painful. You have my sympathy. Caffeine is said to help lessen the migraine, so I would think coffee or Mountain Dew would be helpful. I wonder if people have body pain the next day due to being all tensed up during the pain of the migraine. Tension for 24 hours all over your body could really make you sore.