PDA

View Full Version : It is a Wednesday kind of day today.

Monique
February 4th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Good morning friends. Blondie is away at a family funeral in case you did not know. So I am filling in today.

Listening to Daisy's song as I type this. It is a really nice song.

I haven't accomplished too much this week. I do have one bin cut into workable pieces. That is a big one for me. Today I go shopping with Bonnie.

Yesterday I had developed a cough and last night I realized it turned into a chest cold. UGH!!! The only problem is I cough myself a headache. I will live through it, I am woman after all. LOL!!

Other than that, there really isn't much to report.

Have a great day everyone.

irishrn
February 4th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Good morning all! Hope it is a good day for so many who have so much going on in their lives!
I have finished the reprinting and declutter of the laundry room over the weekend. Finally rehung the closet doors yesterday!
Just waiting on the carpenter to bring the new shelving/cabinet to finish putting the things away!
Decided to take a break before starting the redo on the kitchen and dining area. I haven't been in the sewing room since last Wednesday and I need some sewing time! Have to finish up in the guest room as my DH's DGD will be coming on the 16th for a quick visit! I enjoy her visits as she is such a sweetie!!
It has been so cold here and I don't do well in this weather, so it is a struggle to keep up. Joint/muscle pain gets to a screaming pitch in the cold! My hands are especially painful right now and I seem to need to use them all the time!! LOL!
I hope everyone is safe and warm! Take care all!

Ginny B
February 4th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Good morning and Happy Wednesday. Just listened to Daisy's song. Our Daisy is sure a woman of many talents. Amazing. The gentleman singing it, Ian, has a wonderful voice.

Hoping for a nice, calm day today at work. The last two mornings I have had to cover the front desk for about an hour or so because the person who works there had trouble getting into work each day because of the weather. Hopefully today it will be smooth sailing for her and I can start off my day without hopping back and forth around the corner between her desk and mine. It is much easier for me to cover though because I am so close. The other two admins that do coverage are through a door and down the hall.

Monique, sorry you have a cold. Rest, drink lots of fluids and get well. Have a wonderful day everyone

Jean Sewing Machine
February 4th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Good morning everyone! Monique, thanks for starting the morning post, but I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. We are supposed to get some snow this afternoon. I have an appointment to get a clip and dip (color and cut) at the hairdressers, hope the snow doesn't come til I get home!

I'm on a bag/tote tear right now, I have quite a nice little collection of ones I've made, each one a little different! Having a ball making them!

Have a great day!

auntiemern
February 4th, 2015, 10:08 AM
So sorry you aren't feeling well Monique. At the surgery center waiting for them to start on DD's first of 2 foot surgeries. Next one will be in 4 wks. Thiking this is gonna be a long day. Lala is coming to help til Fri., which I am very thankful for. Prayers will be appreciated.

LRM
February 4th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Good morning! Today I'm just going to say 'Thanks" to all of you. I'm grateful for the community that exists here and the kind words that are shared to each who needs it. When someone takes the time to PM a kind word, a caring thought, or support it is just amazing to me. So thank you all. Have a beautiful, safe, happy day.

Panda
February 4th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Good morning everyone! Not much going on today. It will be much warmer today, but just for today then back to cold. Monique, I hope you feel better soon. Marilyn, you have my good thoughts and prayers for your daughter, and for you also.

Kathy

Bubby
February 4th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm ready to leave for the hospital to attend the discharge meeting for Jeff. I guess they will discuss the date of release and help plan his follow-up care. I met with the Occupational Therapists yesterday and got my questions answered. IMO Jeff isn't quite ready to be released quite yet. He's working hard on his pt.

I thought my new sewing machine (Jewel) was broke because she would only sew straight stitches. A quick chat with a Janome tech and I realized I had the straight stitch needle plate on Jewel and she's smart enough to know I would break a needle if I zigzagged. It's a new world for me having such a smart machine!

Monique, feel better soon.

I'm off to head out for the morning. Hugs to everyone....Barb

MayinJerset
February 4th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Morning everyone, for a change, no snow today - I hope. Hoping we can get past the thick ice on the end of our driveway this afternoon as we're supposed to meet my BFF and her DH for lunch. Post office drop before lunch and after a BIG Food and Sundry shopping as lots of snow predicted tomorrow and many days next week. Yuck!

Marilyn hope all goes well with DD's surgery
Monique - hope that cold doesn't get worse
Eileen - darn cold really is doing a job this winter on me too

Ginny, your having to cover the front desk reminded me of the time I was working at a county park and receptionist asked me to cover for her as she had to go home. As soon as I sat at her desk I realized snow was falling very heavily and believe me I got a Park Ranger to take the desk and high tailed it out of there as soon as I could. The Rangers all had houses in the park plus 4 wheel drives so they had no worries about getting home. Usual 20 min drive home took 2 hours and all the while I was also worrying because DIL MJ was in the hospital delivering DGD Catherine. DS had to sleep in the hospital because the town was snowed in. That was the Blizzard of 1983 and DGD turns 32 on the 11th.

Midge
February 4th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Morning all! Didn't get much accomplished yesterday, bad day for the neck. My arms and hands have been numb and tingling, and that's a sign to chill out for a while. It should resolve in a few days if I am careful about what I do and pacing myself. Monique, sorry to hear you have a cold. Put a pot of chicken soup on the stove and keep up your hydration! Ginny, I hope you can stay off the front desk and get the real work done in short order! And Jean, you Wonder Woman, you. No one better step between you and your sewing machine! OMG!

Condolences to Blondie and her family. And Barb, I hope the discharge planning conference goes well. Lots to think about and plan for. So glad you learned about why Jill was behaving the way she did! I LOLed thinking Jill had better sense than you. Read that manual, girl! Just kidding, I would be likely to do the same thing.

I'm going to shop online for drapery material to amuse myself while my neck pain resolves. Since I moved it's looking bare, and time to turn my attention to the living room windows. My old curtains don't fit, so time for new. And I do enjoy making window treatments if I can find something I like out of the many home dec sales online and the home dec bargain stores here in town.

More snow on the way! Grrrr.

MRoy
February 4th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Good morning! Monique, sorry you have a cold...I feel like I might be coming down with one too. I haven't been out lately except to go to the pharmacy and sit-n-sew on Monday...might have picked up a bug then.

Barb, can you get home health to come out and help Jeff with PT at home? It might help him and take some of the load off you.

I'm quilting the baby shower quilt today. I started yesterday with gray thread, decided it was too dark for the quilt top, and switched to white on top with gray (matches backing) on the back. I hope it works out okay.

We're supposed to get a light snow tonight. Happy Hump Day!

Sandy Navas
February 4th, 2015, 11:15 AM
I have laryngitis so I'm whispering this morning. Trying to save my voice so this is short.
Sending warm wishes, straight stitches, freely moving joints, positive outcomes, and lots of hugs.

ravelim
February 4th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Hi

I thought my new sewing machine (Jewel) was broke because she would only sew straight stitches. A quick chat with a Janome tech and I realized I had the straight stitch needle plate on Jewel and she's smart enough to know I would break a needle if I zigzagged. It's a new world for me having such a smart machine!

I hate having a smarter machine than me......but thank goodness I do..

Monique, get better. Colds are icky.

Prayers for all.

Tried to make that so Bubby quote stuck out by itself. Once again, a smarter machine than me.

Cathy F
February 4th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Morning all,

Slept later than usual today. Looks like the weather forcast is for cold and more snow over the weekend. Yuck!
Not much planned for today, maybe a short trip to the grocery store. Hopefully some sewing time too. I'd like to get the borders on my Baltimore Album quilt, and finish the Irish chain.

I signed up for a class at my local quilt shop for next week. It should be fun. We're doing Kimberbell's mug rugs in the hoop. They should make some cute gifts.

Monique- feel better.
Jean- happy bag making!
Barb- glad to hear your machine was not broken.
Marilyn- healing thoughts for your daughter.

Off to get my coffee so I can put some hustle in my bustle!

Amy R
February 4th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I hope everyone feels better soon, gets comfort for their grief. You all definitely have my prayers hugs and support to count on.

It's so good being home, Soph is back to her normal little feisty self although she woke up a lot last night per hubby. I didn't hear a thing I was rewarded a night's full sleep in the bedroom. I fell asleep about 7pm on the couch and woke up to my sweet alarm clock at 9am. I'm so glad she's ok. I know there's way worse happenings, this is the sickest she's ever been and I can't even imagine what parents go through with children that are long term sick and injured badly.

Going to log off and watch my little princess watch her shows and dance with her little stuffed Olaf her daddy surprised her with during her stay.

Hugs and prayers

Tina W
February 4th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Hope you feel better soon Monique. Blondie my prayers go out to you for your loss. I got some sewing done yesterday, starting to put my quilt together working on a jump ring quilt. No snow today I think we are in for some tomorrow UGH! I am so sick of snow I told my sister who lives in SC I will be moving in if we get any more snow here. Well time to finish the laundry, take a shower and then I will work on my quilt, that is if my furbabies allow it. Every one have a great day.:)

Iris Girl
February 4th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Morning all.
My day off today. Hope all that are a tad under the weather feel better soon. Did 3 loads of laundry so far. Working on my Margo bag. Also made a cherry chocolate cake yum. Hugs to all that need them.

Bratbear
February 4th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I have laryngitis so I'm whispering this morning. Trying to save my voice so this is short.
Sending warm wishes, straight stitches, freely moving joints, positive outcomes, and lots of hugs.

I almost couldn't read that small font. Hugs and hope you feel better soon.

I don't normally post things on the forum but would like to ask everyone to say a prayer for safe travels for Jean Anne as she heads to Texas to see her new grandson. Thank you

Carrie J
February 4th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Good Morning All! :D Weather is easing up here for a couple of days, but another Arctic front coming in (of COURSE it is!). So a short reprieve, and back to cold again. This up and down stuff is a booger! Today is an all day sew day here, which is fine by me! Sending prayers for Bubby, Jean Anne especially, and for those that are under the weather. Off for coffee, and the material! :D

WendyI
February 4th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Monique and Sandy, sorry you are under the weather...hope you both feel better soon. Marilyn, best wishes for your daughter and hoping all goes well. Louise, i agree with you completely...I don't know what I would do without this forum and all it's lovely members. Barb hoping Jeff's recovery speeds along and he gets to come home when he's ready...glad you are taking care of you. Amy so glad to hear Sophie is home and feeling better...such a worry when our little ones are sick.

Today I am at work with a very bad headache...might have to go home after lunch and take some tough drugs as the advil is not working. I had a pretty bad meltdown last night...started crying on the way home and couldn't stop until about 8 p.m. Likely why I have such a bad headache today. Every stage seems to bring the reality of my situation home a little harder and selling the house is a big stage. I feel hollow today which is better than what I felt yesterday I guess.

Our house inspection happens on Saturday. My house is only 11 years old and anything that could go wrong has already gone wrong and been fixed in that time so I'm sure it will be fine....then I can start packing for the next stage.

Sending love and hugs to all those who need them. xoxoxox

Over40momma
February 4th, 2015, 01:43 PM
To all my sick quilty friends, sending you hugs and prayers of healing. For our Miss Blondie, deepest condolences and prayers for her and her family. Wendy, it's ok to feel numb, you're mind and spirit have been on overload for such a long time, they need a wee rest. You'll get through this sweetie and will come out the other end stronger and, I pray, happier.

Lots of snow shovelling here the last few days. I found muscles I didn't even know I had! :lol: Today I intend to head to my machine and do a bit of work on whichever of my WIP's yell the loudest. As hubby looked after taking something out of the freezer, I even know what I am cooking for dinner tonight. There are times I think I would be wandering around a field if it wasn't for that man. Take care all, stay safe and warm. Hugs,

RockinLou
February 4th, 2015, 02:11 PM
I feel like I'm really getting to know you all, I check in on this thread as part of my bedtime routine every night.

Amy, I'm so glad Sophie has bounced back and you got an awesome night of sleep!
Barb, so glad the machine knew not to break that needle and that Janome was so helpful on the phone, makes it well worth it to buy a quality product when you get quality support like that.
Blondie, travel safe.
Monique, feel better. Colds are no fun!
Wendy, you are in a tough patch of life, keep reaching out to us, we're pulling for you!!

I went to work today and things went well, lost of loose threads to tie up having missed 4 teaching days in 2 weeks. We thought we would all be back today, but my daughter woke up with a fever, again. She has an autoimmune disorder so a relapse to fever after a tough illness isn't totally uncharacteristic, I just feel awful for her. Her birthday party was scheduled for Friday, I am moving it to the 20th. It will be MUCH more fun for us all then anyway!!

My friend recently had her baby at 28 weeks, he is getting so strong and doing so well though he remains in the NICU. He is 3lb, 5oz. Right now and developing well. She has a blog and in his update today I saw a little knit hat on his head. She mentioned that they were donated by a women's club. I mention it because I see the generosity of so many quilters and crafters of every kind, and this little item meant so much to her. It's not just a hat, it's that he has no leads to his head, so he can wear a hat, and it's a hat that fits him, in a world where nothing fits him. It's fibers that the hospital can allow, and he isn't allergic to them and they aren't absorbing germs, these little ones are oh so precious and fragile, it's nice to know his first piece of clothing was made by hand.

Granny Judy
February 4th, 2015, 03:00 PM
I'm late getting started today.. but that is alright. So much snow is coming down right now, it's hard to see the street in front of our home. A good day for sewing!!

My thanks to Monique for starting the thread and hope you feel better soon.

It is strangely quiet with Sandy not being able to talk..except in whispers. Hope there is No pain involved other than being ignore.. LOL.

It's not a fun place to be in for you, Wendy.. Just remember it is OK to cry and feel sad. You have big changes going on in your life and not those of your own choosing.. so go ahead and grieve. We are here and sending hugs & healing your way.

Barb, I gotta get me one of those Smart Machines... or invest in the needle factory. I broke 3 needle trying to sew one short patch.. again the zigzag thing and wrong foot.

Happy to hear Sophie is on the mend... Amy, you need to recover, too.

I know I've forgotten many of you in naming you here, but know that I loves ya all and want only the best things coming into your life. And that is what I pray for. Let only the good stuff in and throw out the bad.

toggpine
February 4th, 2015, 03:20 PM
I haven't read anything yet. Just popping into say "Hello!" and "Have a good one."

I'm off to see if we can rehome a livestock guardian dog from the shelter. Our guy is showing his age and this girl got bored being a porch dog and kept getting off of her tie line. This last time she managed to find some mischief and got herself arrested. Her owner surrendered her instead of dealing with the fines.
We'll see if she's got the right stuff for our family. If she wants to eat the goat I am bringing along, she will need another home.
So far, from the conversation from the 'arresting' officer and the shelter worker, she should be OK. We'll just have to see what her prey drive is like.
Wish us both luck. We need a trainee dog and she needs a home.

Simply Quilting
February 4th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Good Afternoon! We have had snow today. The public school called for an early out so there is no church tonight. And dh took the children to piano lessons so I get to stay inside again today. Wow, three days in a row. I've gotten where I just don't like to get out when it is yucky out. Although I love to watch the snow falling and making everything a beautiful white from the living room window.

Last night's Mom's meeting went great. We had several ladies here and a great discussion.

This afternoon I have several projects to get done on the computer. There are several other things that I need to get done so I'm not sure if I will get any sewing done or not. I might get out a jelly roll if nothing else as it gives me a chance to sew without dragging out a ton of stuff.

Prayers for those who are traveling - Blondie, Jean Anne and anyone else.

Prayers for healing Monique, Sandy, and RockinLou's little girl, Marylin's daughter, Barb's husband and daughter.

Praying for anyone else in need.

Have a safe and wonderful Wednesday everyone :)

bscuzz
February 4th, 2015, 04:39 PM

Sandy, sorry about your laryngitis . . but your post gave me a special laugh. A few years back, a friend of a friend wrote a book with characters we both knew, one of which always spoke very, very softly. The printing of her portions of the book were very similar to your post -which was so visually representative - just reminded me of the book, which had a lot of humorous content!! :lol:

bscuzz
February 4th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Just want to say thank you to all for sharing; I've read them all and forgotten most names already. Blessings for all that need them - be well for those not feelin' good - and toggpine, I'm learning so much about what you do on a farm, but must admit that I often use my imagination cause some of the lingo requires it - all in all just a fun place to take part in!!

Sandy Navas
February 4th, 2015, 04:51 PM
The voice is back. The head hurts from the glare of sun on bright white snow (another couple inches this morning - but we are lucky as it was all north of us. Sorry friends).

Ran out and picked up some white strips for our guild Opportunity quilt - came home and got 18 blocks made for a Jacobs Ladder. Hope they get enough - but if not I'll just do more. They bought the white so everyone would use the same color of white.

Finished Al's aunt's lap quilt. It's in the washer as we speak. Al stepped in and put the binding on so he could say "And I helped." He also took pictures but since he's in charge of the photos I don't have any to share as yet. I doubt that I'll do a JRR quilt again any time soon. Learned a lot on this one. The JRs I used are both by Moda (several years ago) - one is Evening Mist (I kept telling myself it was Morning Mist) and the other is Kashmir III.

Ah, photos just arrived.

WendyI
February 4th, 2015, 04:53 PM
That quilt is beautiful Sandy! Glad your voice is back! Hope your head feels better! xox

bscuzz
February 4th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Sandy, such a beautiful quilt! Help me confirm if I'm learning anything, the quilting on this quilt is a more open relaxed quilting (by comparison to dense and tightly quilted), which I personally love. It's such a complimentary look and pleasing to the eye in this quilt. If I'm wrong, I'll have to chalk it up to inexperience - BUT to me this quilting is exactly what I'd aspire to do!

Also, glad your voice is back to 'full size' volume and your headache is short-lived.

Cathy F
February 4th, 2015, 08:08 PM
The voice is back. The head hurts from the glare of sun on bright white snow (another couple inches this morning - but we are lucky as it was all north of us. Sorry friends).

Ran out and picked up some white strips for our guild Opportunity quilt - came home and got 18 blocks made for a Jacobs Ladder. Hope they get enough - but if not I'll just do more. They bought the white so everyone would use the same color of white.

Finished Al's aunt's lap quilt. It's in the washer as we speak. Al stepped in and put the binding on so he could say "And I helped." He also took pictures but since he's in charge of the photos I don't have any to share as yet. I doubt that I'll do a JRR quilt again any time soon. Learned a lot on this one. The JRs I used are both by Moda (several years ago) - one is Evening Mist (I kept telling myself it was Morning Mist) and the other is Kashmir III.

Ah, photos just arrived.

Beautiful quilt Sandy! Colors are very soothing!

Sandy Navas
February 4th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Sandy, such a beautiful quilt! Help me confirm if I'm learning anything, the quilting on this quilt is a more open relaxed quilting (by comparison to dense and tightly quilted), which I personally love. It's such a complimentary look and pleasing to the eye in this quilt. If I'm wrong, I'll have to chalk it up to inexperience - BUT to me this quilting is exactly what I'd aspire to do!

Also, glad your voice is back to 'full size' volume and your headache is short-lived.

B, the quilting was done on our long-arm quilting machine and is a pre-programmed Open Meander - we adjusted it to cover about a 10 inch block size so it is a looser quilting. We like it looser - makes the quilt a bit softer after washing, and crinkles nicely.

The quilt is winging (should say crawling since it's going by truck) its way to California right now.

bscuzz
February 5th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Sandy, I must admit I know nothing about the function of a LA quilting machine - but repeat that I love the quilt (a lucky Aunt will receive) and in particular the 'open-meander' quilting - I guess the softer crinkly look is the kind of quilting that appeals more to me. :icon_noob: