PDA

View Full Version : such a dolt.....

bubba
February 4th, 2015, 02:17 AM
Yep, that's me!! I have been very happy with Jill except for the fact that the backstitch did not work. Was trying to figure out when I could get her into the shop for repairs before my class on the 19th and had decided I would take her over after the class.

Well, tonight we were leaving Costco and there was the gal who works in the shop that helped us that day we bought her and Jack. I told her my problem and she said......Well, there is one straight stitch where the back stitch just sews in place for when you are quilting and then there is another on the next page that actually backstitches.

I came home and checked....why yes, yes there is!!! Will make my bag sewing so much easier!

Bjvarizona
February 4th, 2015, 02:44 AM
I can feel your excitement that nothing is wrong with your machine! I've known that feeling.

kaydee
February 4th, 2015, 02:59 AM
Don't feel bad, Bubba. I once took my very basic machine in for a repair b/c the needle was not centered. Turns out I forgot the needle position is adjustable. :(

Oh, well, my machine really needed a cleaning, so it wasn't a total waste.

But I definitely deserve the "dolt" label.

irishrn
February 4th, 2015, 09:35 AM
You are not alone! So join the DUH club! I had my machine for years before I figured out I could move the needle position!

Sandy Navas
February 4th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Yep, that's me!! I have been very happy with Jill except for the fact that the backstitch did not work. Was trying to figure out when I could get her into the shop for repairs before my class on the 19th and had decided I would take her over after the class.

Well, tonight we were leaving Costco and there was the gal who works in the shop that helped us that day we bought her and Jack. I told her my problem and she said......Well, there is one straight stitch where the back stitch just sews in place for when you are quilting and then there is another on the next page that actually backstitches.

I came home and checked....why yes, yes there is!!! Will make my bag sewing so much easier!

I keep telling Al: READ THE &^&$%@$$& MANUAL.

Doloris
February 4th, 2015, 11:45 AM
:icon_tape: :icon_evil:

RockinLou
February 4th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Sandy, you make me laugh!! I got a new machine about a year ago here in KAZ. A Bernina 330. Not nearly as many bells and whistles as my older Artista that I have back in the US, but close enough in character that it feels like home when I sew. I disregarded the manual because it is written in Russian. Turns out the automatic buttonhole is impossible to guess my way through and after lots of pirate talk, I eventually found a PDF of the manual in English.

Next time you are in Almaty, Kazakhstan and need a buttonhole, I'm your gal.

These stories remind me of Christmas (approximately 1987) when my parents bought us a Nintendo Entertainment System, and my dad was trying to set it up so it would be a surprise. My room was upstairs from the family room and I came down to see why my mom was crying, and him grumbling. They'd spent a lot of money, and a good number of hours inline at a store for this thing that would not work. What was wrong? They had wired the TV to Game System directions perfectly, but the power button would not click on. Eight year old me says 'But Daddy, did you plug it in to the wall?' Nope!! What a dolt!! ...

... And there began the end of them doing anything with technology without running it by their kids first. My mom still needs a sticky note on her tv remote!!

Over40momma
February 4th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Don't worry about it Pat, we all have those "senior moments" no matter what we do. But glad it got figured out and Jill is not needing the sewing hospital.

bubba
February 4th, 2015, 02:37 PM
To the two Sandys......believe me, I have read that *#!@#$% manual several times and could find nothing in it about this other button!!

And now for the other Sandy.......I'm not a senior yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't you know I'm a sweet young thing?

bscuzz
February 4th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Isn't it funny how much smarter you get as you age. I clearly remember in my youth ignoring the 'assembly instructions' or 'Owners Manual' for new things . . . to find so often extra work when the 'genius' I thought I was proved 'wrong'! Now that I'm "older" and don't 'jump right into any new purchase', I usually sit down to rest (I'm tired even before I get started) and "read those unnecessary instructions or manuals" and am always surprised at what I learn to eliminate the missteps that I surely would have made had I not "read the instructions"!! :icon_confused:

asta
February 4th, 2015, 02:59 PM

Why read when you can play?

Carrie J
February 4th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Novel concept, NO?!?!?! And qualified for my "DUHHHHH!!!!!" TShirt many moons ago.......:D

bubba
February 4th, 2015, 03:22 PM
When I go upstairs today, I'm looking again to see if the manual shows this, because just by looking at the pictures, I sure could not tell! Maybe I need new glasses......

WendyI
February 4th, 2015, 03:55 PM
We all have those moments. Glad it wasn't anything serious wrong with your baby.