PDA

View Full Version : First Day of Retirement

Quiltfreestyle
February 3rd, 2015, 12:07 PM
Well, here it is,, my first day of retirement! What do I do?? Get up at O Dark Thirty just like usual!! I imagine that will change soon, maybe I'll sleep in till 6 o'clock :)
It was bittersweet leaving yesterday., there are so many people I'll miss seeing each day. There are even a couple of clients that have become real friends, I'll miss them too..
The company was very generous to me which I really appreciated it. They gave me $500 in gift cards as a retirement gift (LQS here I come) AND told me if I worked one day in February (yesterday) I could have an extra month of the company health insurance. That was really nice, now I don't have to scramble to find new insurance.
So first on the "to do" list is spend the whole day in my sewing room,,, YAY!!

KnitWitRosie
February 3rd, 2015, 12:16 PM
Enjoy your day!!! Sounds like you worked for a wonderful company!

WendyI
February 3rd, 2015, 12:18 PM
Well congratulations!! How exciting for you! Enjoy your day!

MRoy
February 3rd, 2015, 12:19 PM
Congratulations! You will develop a new routine, but it may take awhile after getting up at 0 dark thirty for years. But now you can do what you want, when you want, IF you want.

The Yarnarian
February 3rd, 2015, 12:21 PM
Retirement is awesome! Enjoy!

Midge
February 3rd, 2015, 12:51 PM
Wishing you a wonderful new lifestyle in retirement! It sounds like you worked for a generous company - rare in today's world. Smell the roses for a while and figure out how you want to spend your time later. And alarm clock be ****ed whether internal or sitting on the nightstand!

Quiltfreestyle
February 3rd, 2015, 12:54 PM
Thanks. I don't have an alarm clock by the bed. I'm working hard to reset my internal clock so I can get up at the crack of noon if I want to.

laura44
February 3rd, 2015, 12:56 PM
Congratulations!

Grandma G
February 3rd, 2015, 01:06 PM
Congratulations on your retirement!! I see your inner clock didn't get the memo that it was to retire, too. lol Before retirement I had to get up at 3:40 every morning and now after nearly 3 years I still wake up way too early.

Have fun in your sewing room. I am excited for you!!

Monique
February 3rd, 2015, 01:12 PM
Patt congratulations on your retirement. It may take a while to get used to the thought that you don't have to get and go to work.

Eriepatch
February 3rd, 2015, 01:14 PM
Congrats and yes you will get better at sleeping in. When my DH retired he just knew
he would keep waking up at 5:30 but within a week he was sleeping until 7 and
sometimes after that! :)
Enjoy your new life.

Genny
February 3rd, 2015, 01:21 PM
Congratulations on your retirement! If you're anything like me you're going to love it. As far as sleeping till 6:00...I now can actually sleep till 7:30....this took me about 6 months but I too was use to getting up very early(4:30am) every day. I haven't worked for 15 months now and LOVE it!

As my dh says ...every day is Saturday!

SuzyQue
February 3rd, 2015, 01:24 PM
Enjoy your new lifestyle. Give yourself time to readjust. It is a bit of a shock to the system, but you will get there.

Granny Fran
February 3rd, 2015, 01:34 PM
So happy for you!! It will take more than just sleeping in to get used to. The decisions of what to do all day sort of overwhelmed me a little at first. I felt guilty at first having so much "free" time, but DH helped me out with that. Told me to relax and enjoy. So now I am the one easing him into retirement (he retired 3 weeks ago and going thru the same transition). We planned all our lives for this day and now that it is here, we just can't believe it's actually here. Sorta like a vacation without an ending date. LOL

Enjoy the freedom. Make each day as you want it to be and be quilt happy.

songbird857
February 3rd, 2015, 01:43 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy your time :)

Nene
February 3rd, 2015, 01:54 PM
Congrats on your retirement! Your company sounds like it was a great place to work. Enjoy your new lifestyle.

Carrie J
February 3rd, 2015, 01:54 PM
Patt, Congratulations! And it won't take long to realize you DON'T have a time schedule! Your inner clock, ehhhhhh, not so much, lol! There will be plenty of days when you can just snuggle back in, and tell that inner timekeeper to shut up so you can snooze!

Learner quilter
February 3rd, 2015, 02:12 PM
Congratulations.. I am soooo jealous. :icon_wave:. No more early rises.. I have 7 years to do, sounds like a jail term...

Cathy F
February 3rd, 2015, 02:27 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy your retirement, no strict schedule to follow, it's wonderful! Been retired for 17years, I still can't believe it's been that long!

bubba
February 3rd, 2015, 03:27 PM
Congratulations!! It took me about three months before I slept later than I did for all the years I would get up at 0600. Slowly it got later. Now I told myself I have to start going to bed earlier so I don't sleep so late!!!

Have fun sewing!! Pretty soon you are going to be thinking how you had time to sew while you worked, because it seems it's hard to find time now!!

Iris Girl
February 3rd, 2015, 05:12 PM
Grats on your retirement!

MayinJerset
February 3rd, 2015, 05:57 PM
Good retirement - relax and enjoy it.

Simply Quilting
February 3rd, 2015, 06:18 PM
Congratulations on your retirement :) Enjoy your sewing room.

LRM
February 3rd, 2015, 07:47 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy your new-found time to sew and create. Sounds like you left a great job with good people. That is such a blessing.

MBCA
February 4th, 2015, 12:51 AM
Congratulations!

Juliet Taylor
February 4th, 2015, 03:30 AM
Congratulations! And enjoy your time :) Surely you'll soon be able to sleep more and sew as much as you want :D

irishrn
February 4th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Congratulations!! Retirement is highly recommended! You will love your new employer...., YOU!!

rebeccas-sewing
February 4th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I remember when my sis was debating retirement. She noticed all the retired folks she knows had smiles on their faces. That helped her make the decision and she's never regretted it. You'll discover lots of benefits to not going in to work every day. Enjoy yourself and congratulations on the next faze of your life.

TRLSRL72
February 4th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Enjoy your retirement!!! I am so jealous.

bscuzz
February 4th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Thanks. I don't have an alarm clock by the bed. I'm working hard to reset my internal clock so I can get up at the crack of noon if I want to.

Patt, Happy Retirement! Just had to say how I love your "crack of noon" wake up time. Being retired some 7 years, now and again I hit the snooze till noon just to see how it feels! A little warning, since it happened to me a few times after retirement - occasionally when I'd get in the car for some errand or shopping trip, I'd find myself halfway to work, just outta habit . . . a little scary thinking how mindless you can drive a car! :icon_confused: Anyway, enjoy your leisure!

Quiltfreestyle
February 4th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Thanks B. I'm still waking up too early & thinking I have to go to work in that split second before I'm fully awake. Today I decided to roll over & go back to sleep. It was great. LOL
I slept until almost 7 am. Haha

cmhquilter
February 4th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Enjoy your retirement!

Neller
February 5th, 2015, 01:52 AM
Oh congratulations!!! I have to wait until May to retire and every day is torture going to work when all I want to do is sew! I hope you enjoy every minute of retirement!

Quiltfreestyle
February 5th, 2015, 02:05 AM
Oh congratulations!!! I have to wait until May to retire and every day is torture going to work when all I want to do is sew! I hope you enjoy every minute of retirement!
Well, I was supposed to work 2 more years before is retired but my DH health required me to quit early. I am not complaining, I was ready to quit even though my company was great. I just couldn't take the job stress & family stress anymore. One had to go..
I highly recommend it :).
Hang in there, May will be here before you know it...

snippet
February 6th, 2015, 02:37 AM
Oh happy day! Congratulations Patt!

A few weeks of the new routine will probably cure you of waking early, hopefully. I've been retire 3 years now; I have the blinds open and wake to the sunshine - or later :)

I love love love grocery shopping during the weekday! This took a lot of getting used to - I'm still making my grocery list and thinking about going on Sunday after church. I have to stop myself every time and wait til Monday.

I saw a guy from work at the store this week. He asked about what I've been up to. My favorite line is "I do whatever I want to" and I do. Travel, volunteer, visit family, etc.

Retirement is good.