PDA

View Full Version : Some things just bring the tears

Sandy Navas
February 2nd, 2015, 08:16 PM
One of the very first quilting projects I ever finished was a purple lap quilt that I made for Al's aunt (Paz has moved from NYC to Southern California and just celebrated her 91st birthday). This is the aunt for whom Al made the full-size on-point purple quilt which I have bragged about. Today we ventured out into the deep snowdrifts to have a package sent to her with the new quilt. Once back home Al thought he'd best let Paz know that a 'package' was coming for her'. We discussed the conversation and decided we didn't want to tell her what was in the package, just to be available to receive it on Friday (expected delivery).

So Al calls. The conversation went like this: "Oh, Alberto, that's nice. But, I need to tell you something but only if you promise to ask Sandy to do something special for me." (Now keep in mind, she has absolutely NO idea that he has been quilting, and NO IDEA that he's made his first quilt for HER.)

She goes on to tell Al that when she was packing to move cross country that she asked her best friend to keep the lap quilt that I'd made and to ship it to her later since she didn't want it to get lost in the shipping of her household goods. So this past week she called her friend (Miriam) and asked that Miriam put the lap quilt in a box and ship it to her. Miriam reminded her that it was such a beautiful lap quilt and she'd been using it since it was cold in NYC.

Aunt Paz was embarrassed to tell Al that she gave in and told her special friend Miriam to keep the lap quilt. She wondered if she could pay me to make her a new lap quilt for her living room for when she's watching TV.

Anyone know why I have tears in my eyes? Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

This was the only picture I kept - anyone notice the gross errors in layout? There are NO quilt police.

Now to find the blues and greens she says she wants.

Nidan_07
February 2nd, 2015, 08:39 PM
Wow!! Aunt Paz is going to be so surprised to get that quilt from Al. She sounds like such a darling....you must be so happy to be making another lap quilt for her. How kind of her to let Miriam stay warm with the original lap quilt. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when she gets her new quilts.

Doloris
February 2nd, 2015, 08:44 PM
she will be soo surprised and even more so when another one shows up next week. :) Get Crackin girl!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
February 2nd, 2015, 08:45 PM
That is so special! #1 to still have her. #2 that she loves your quilt. #3 knowing how much she will appreciate Al's special gift to her

God speed, Aunt Paz! You are truly loved by many!

Midge
February 2nd, 2015, 09:03 PM
Yep, got a teeny little lump in my throat reading this Sandy. Get going on the new lap quilt. Bet you enjoy doing this one even more.

FabStripper
February 2nd, 2015, 09:14 PM
Aw what a cute story! She will love her quilts and I too wish to be a fly on her wall.

Live to Quilt
February 2nd, 2015, 09:41 PM
What a great story Sandy. She sounds like a lovely lady. The kind you want to make one for
Imagine her surprise Friday when she opens her package. You better get busy.

Jean Anne

Carrie J
February 2nd, 2015, 09:57 PM
Awww Sandy, yes I totally understand. She is going to be thrilled with the replacement, not to mention the one Al made and sent. Some things just grab your heart, this one sure did for me! :D

And nada wrong with that layout Sister! Hee, Hee! :D

ilive2craft2
February 2nd, 2015, 10:00 PM
Too sweet!!!

songbird857
February 2nd, 2015, 10:04 PM
Now that brightened my evening :)

Monique
February 2nd, 2015, 10:08 PM
Sandy you have the biggest heart.

MBCA
February 2nd, 2015, 10:39 PM
So nice to have someone who appreciates your talent and what a surprise she will have on Friday.

Sylvia H
February 2nd, 2015, 10:51 PM
What a lovely story. She is going to be thrilled with the bed quilt, and so appreciative that you are making her a lap quilt. This is the joy of quilting - giving to those we love.

GuitarGramma
February 2nd, 2015, 11:03 PM
What a wonderful story!

You know, aunts have been a recurring theme on the forum this week. Or maybe it's just that I'm tuned into aunties right now. My last surviving aunt passes away last week. She was my last link to my father. I would go stay with her every couple of years just because I loved her. Those visits are now gone forever.

Yes, Sandy, you and Al are very blessed to still have Tia Paz.

Hulamoon
February 3rd, 2015, 12:24 AM
How sweet:) What are you going to make this time?

Simply Quilting
February 3rd, 2015, 12:54 AM
How sweet. I can't wait to hear how surprised she is with her gift on Friday. And to see the new lap quilt that you are making her.

auntiemern
February 3rd, 2015, 01:29 AM
What an amazing story. I am so happy for all 3 of you. That she is going to be receiving 2 made with love quilts, and that you and Al get to provide them to her. Love you GF.

maxwellthecat
February 3rd, 2015, 03:02 AM
It gives you a chance to make another quilt for her.

rebeccas-sewing
February 3rd, 2015, 03:07 AM
That's such a nice story, Sandy. She'll be very surprised won't she? Nope! Not seeing the mistake. I'm sure it's there if you say so but I'm not seeing it. hahaha

MayinJerset
February 3rd, 2015, 03:31 AM
she will be soo surprised and even more so when another one shows up next week. :) Get Crackin girl!!!And one made by Alberto to boot! Great story.

Iris Girl
February 3rd, 2015, 06:22 AM
sweet story! She is gonna be so surprised :)

CarolynK
February 3rd, 2015, 09:42 AM
Oh Sandy, what a great story! She will be so surprised to have another lap quilt and that Al made it will be all the more special!

MRoy
February 3rd, 2015, 12:26 PM
Oh how I wish you could see her face when she gets both packages. The timing of Al's quilt arriving couldn't be better. When DH and I gave his 93 year old aunt her lap quilt, I kept thinking "please don't cry" because I knew if she cried I would too.

Quiltfreestyle
February 3rd, 2015, 12:28 PM
Wonderful story,, yes it choked me up a little. Tia Paz is going to love that quilt & it's extra special to get another from Al.

WendyI
February 3rd, 2015, 12:35 PM
awww...so sweet! She's going to be so thrilled!! You guys are awesome.

ravelim
February 3rd, 2015, 12:38 PM
Way to go, Sandy. She's going to love them.

laura44
February 3rd, 2015, 12:55 PM
Great story, I know she will be surprised twice. It's nice
to make a quilt (or two) when you know the recipient will
love them. And her friend also loves your 1st quilt!
As for your 1st quilt, I couldn't find the sewing error!

Miss Sheri
February 5th, 2015, 02:10 AM
I've been offline for a few days, and just saw this. Sandy, wow, what a cool story! I am so happy for you, and Al, and your darling Aunt. And I am so happy you shared that with us.

Sandy Navas
February 5th, 2015, 11:08 AM

This lap quilt is now on it's way . . .

Doloris
February 5th, 2015, 11:09 AM
She should be getting the first one tomorrow. How surprised she will be to get another next week.

grammakim04
February 5th, 2015, 10:03 PM
I love the colors you used in this quilt, such comforting colors. I'm sure she will love it.

BellasQuilts
February 5th, 2015, 11:39 PM
don't need much more than that! Have fun making it!