PDA

View Full Version : It's Monday, It's February - SMILE (extra pic warning)

Blondie
February 2nd, 2015, 08:13 AM

Hello Folksies!
Let's all welcome Monday and February with a thankful heart. Thankful that there are that many less days of bad weather and dangerous conditions for those who must be out and about in it.

February. Heart month. I think I will do something neat for hubs for Valentines this year. I don't know what; don't have much time to think and plan - any suggestions? I have been haunting Pinterest and haven't found exactly what tickles my fancy yet. Perhaps you have one old tried and true smile maker?

As promised here is the Smky Mtn Stars finish that will be Middle Son's b'day gift.

It is made mostly with shirts and I decided on the piano key style border. It's not perfect but it's done. Loads of mistakes because it wouldn't be mine if there weren't.

Here is also a pic of the quilt for the DD's MIL, here on out just called Lois.

I hate the pic is so dark; will try to take another one. The blocks that look so dark are actually another star with brown cornerstones. The paisley in that star is a brown tone as well. I am really liking the way this is looking.

Hoping everyone has a super duper day. I understand there are happy people in New England today and those in Seattle promising next year will be different ending. I didn't care exactly since I didn't have a dog in that hunt. I do love football and have nothing to say about the game last night except, wow.

Prayers for each one with a special need, matters of the heart and in general, need some cheering up. Here is a pic of a smile banner I made for the shop. It helps me smile.

shirleyknot
February 2nd, 2015, 08:34 AM
And it's ground-hog day.

auntiemern
February 2nd, 2015, 08:36 AM
Ha ha. I can't believe I am the first one responding. That is because I haven't been to bed yet. Prednisone has taken over my life once again, but instead of letting it send me into some psychotic lunatic, I have channeled the ill effects into energy. Oh yes. Today, well actually yesterday, I had hubs help me drag out my enormous amount of fabric storage totes, and I managed to refold, reorganize, and categorize everything. So now that 99% of it is finished, I just have to wait for DH to carry the, he doesn't want me lifting them, back into the spare room. I even reorganized my ever growing stash of precuts. Now that I have a handle on it, since it was a mess from ALL of the fall and winter holidays...I can finally get to actually making quilts again. First on the agenda is to finish up the tops that some of the wonderful people here have given me.
I am also going to finish up a COC quilt that I got the top done a while back, and give it to Pheonix's mom. My heart just aches for her.
I will probably be dragging my machine back and forth between here and DD's after Wed. She has to have surgery on both of her feet from tarsal tunnel, and blocked nerves. Poor baby ha really been suffering with them the past several months. They will do one, and then 4 weeks later do the other one. She will be off work for 12 weeks. Thank goodness her disability insurance will pay 100% of her salary while she is off.
Guess I should try to get some sleep so I can finish all of this up tomorrow. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayer for those that need them. Some of our dear members need them terribly bad right now. To much heart ache and illness in this world.
OK, so Shirley just didn't have as much to say, lol. So I am second.
BTW...the quilts are loverly.

MomGram
February 2nd, 2015, 08:46 AM
Good morning all, having trouble getting to sleep myself. Watched the game last night and both boys where here. Both in good moods and both sat and watched the entire game. We set up the family room furniture in this U shape so we could keep the grand baby in view. She had a blast running back and forth between her daddy and uncle. By the end of the game she was out for the night.

Blondie, love the quilts. I like all the colors in the stars one.

Still dark out here so will try and get myself to rest a bit. Nothing planed for the day so will just see how it goes.

pcbatiks
February 2nd, 2015, 09:30 AM
Good morning everyone!

Blondie, your quilts turned out pretty! Yesterday we had the windows open and today we are back to mid 30's in this morning with highs in the mid 40's.

I'm off to sort books again today........we have even more waiting for us than we did in the picture I posted last week!

Hugs and prayers to all those in need today.

Bubby
February 2nd, 2015, 09:36 AM
Morning Everyone,

We got some bad weather last night. We have a thin layer of ice with a dusting of snow on top. The wind is blowing about 25 mph and it's bitter cold. I just took out the trash and let me tell you it's c-o-l-d. I was up all night with Dottie. She seems to have a tummy ache and diarrhea. It may be something she picked up when she was boarded. I will call the Vet this morning since Pepto and Imodium haven't helped. We were outside literally every hour.

Blondie, both of your quilts are gorgeous! Josh is going to love his birthday quilt. The star quilt is really gorgeous, too. It's only February 2nd and you have two finishes!

Yes, today is Groundhog Day and if I was the GH I would go right back into my hole in the ground for a few more weeks.

My new sewing machine is broke or maybe I just pushed the wrong sequence of buttons. A call to the dealer will be a priority this morning. I didn't get to see Jeff yesterday because I've been running a fever and I don't want to carry anything to him. I need to drive to Cuba today to see apartment #5 after the tenants were evicted. It could be a nightmare.

Wishing everyone a good Monday. Hugs, Barb

Monique
February 2nd, 2015, 09:37 AM
Good morning. Blondie, your quilts are beautiful.

I can't really say I had a productive weekend. For those who don't know, I lost my Aunt on Saturday and I also attended the wake for my friend. It has kind of put me into a little bit of a funk. I did get into my sewing room yesterday and cut up a bag of scraps I had. That felt good to get those out of the way.

Hubby is in a curling bonspiel so we were late getting home last night. A little tired today and a nap could possibly be in my future today.

We are getting a little snow this morning. We may head into Ottawa today, not sure.

Anyway, have a great day everyone.

Mpyles
February 2nd, 2015, 09:47 AM
Good morning!

Beautiful quilts!! Love love them! Wonderful work!

I too had no stake in the game..DH was pulling for Seattle...so that's where my root root went...like blondie....wow!

Did puxatoni Phil see his shadow??

I worked yesterday...end/first of month inventory...it was an early long day and I refused to take a nap when I got home. So I too organized. With out the prednisone...I remember it well though..get all you can done...but don't overdue! Going through all those scraps. Swear...not keepin them in the future...too much to go back through...gonna sort and send off as I go!

Off to work for me...blustery cold here this morning! Everyone have a great day!!

Amy R
February 2nd, 2015, 10:21 AM
Morning!!!
Monique, my heart is broken for you. I'm so sorry :(

Blondie, those quilts are beautiful!!!
Bubby, hope you feel better and Dottie too.

I just can't believe the ending to the game last night!!! Holy smokes!

Today will mark a year since we've had Niko come into our lives. What a difference from a 13# pup that could curl up on my lap to a 120+# big boy. I'm going to try to sandwich his quilt and get some quilting done on it today But I doubt I'll get much done if anything. All depends on Soph. He has been quite the task master, if I stopped too long for a break yesterday he'd start getting antsy and pace around me until I got back to the machine. Yup, I just can't make this stuff up.
Hubby was extra attentive this weekend, helping to pull up the carpet and the slats with the nails around the perimeter, he even put my quilt rack up in the living room. He says he wants to do more man stuff at home. He even started eyeballing back splashes for the kitchen and bathroom at home depot AND asked the guy helping us with floor preservation questions about that stuff too.
Don't get me wrong he is absolutely NOT lazy whatsoever, just doesn't know much about home improvement stuff. It's awesome to see him want to learn.

I'll have to check and see if the furry little bugger saw his shadow or not. We have a local ground hog at the children's museum named Rosie, she's supposed to do her thing around noon.

prayers hugs and happy thoughts.

MRoy
February 2nd, 2015, 10:37 AM
Good morning! The wind howled here all night and is still blowing hard. But we've not got snow or rain so it's okay.

Blondie, your quilts are great! I'm sure they'll be loved. I was in the studio at 5:30 this morning sewing D9P blocks for a baby quilt. I finished the blocks & will take them to sit and sew later today and lay out the quilt top on the big table there.

Barb, I hope Jeff is doing well, Dottie is okay, your machine isn't broken, and your apartment isn't in bad shape. You've got a lot on your plate.

Marilyn, wouldn't it be nice if you could bottle that energy (without the drug) and distribute it! I could use some.

Monique, I'm sorry for your losses and hope you're feeling brighter soon. (((HUGS)))

Jean Sewing Machine
February 2nd, 2015, 10:44 AM
Good morning all! Blondie, I love your quilts! So pretty! Lovely gifts!

Barb, the troubles just won't leave you alone, will they? I'm so sorry you and the doggie aren't feeling well, plus the tenant issues. You deserve a break!

I have a question. Is there a reason we need to warn about posts having a lot of pictures in them? I see a lot of people post that warning, I just didn't know why.

My team lost. They were winning, and I nodded off for a few minutes, when I woke up, the other team had won, wow! At least I got to see the play that won the game 100 times after the game, as it will go down in history as the most bonehead play call in history.
Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory! There will be a lot of blaming to go around for a long time!

I worked on some new purse ideas this weekend? I ordered two bolts of St. Louis Cardinals fabric, first time in 8 years that Major League Baseball has licensed cotton fabric. It will come in April. I already have three of Michele's friends ask for totes with Cardinals fabric, hope I can get some customers for some totes and purses. The Seattle area is covered with Seahawks purses, thanks to our Bubba. Hope to saturate Cardinal Nation with red purses!

My daughter had to make the difficult decision to put one of her dogs to sleep. She came home from work every day to him laying in a puddle of poop. He can't walk because of some problem in his spine. Shots and therapy wasn't helping. This whole thing comes on the heels of their old cat passing away last week. I've got some sad grandkids. They do have two other dogs, so they do have other fur babies to love on.

Hope you all have a good day!

Cathy F
February 2nd, 2015, 10:46 AM
Morning all
Half watched/ half slept through the game last night. Couldn't keep my eyes open until 2 am, then they were wide open. So went up to the sewing room and worked on a UFO from "I don't remember when" cause it's so old. An Irish chain with a pieced border. It had 2 borders on when it got put away and now I know why. There was no pattern for the borders I just did my thing. Well all these years later I can' t remember what "my thing" was! I had to take a piece of the border off to get the measurements of the pieces. I got the third border cut, pieced, and sewn on and have part of the last border pieced. Maybe I get to that today as the weather will be keeping me in the house.
Had a little snow last night, enough to put about 2" in the driveway. It turned to rain and now we have a driveway with a big layer of slush. If the weather drops we I'll have an ice skating rink out there. Husband is saying he has to clear it but I'm saying no. Its too heavy and wet for shoveling.

Blondie: love your quilts! The star one reminds me of the board of my favorite game as a child, Chinese checkers. I played that forever when I was little.
Auntiemerm- hope your feeling better soon. Don't overdo
Barb- continued prayers for you both and stress free days. I hope poor Dottie feels better soon and your new machine was just the push of a wrong button and nothing serious. Hang in there girl!

MayinJerset
February 2nd, 2015, 11:04 AM
Getting a slow start this morning, 100008

Blondie, Love that Smile banner and quilts, especially the stars. Made a scrappy blue, brown and cream one years ago and thinking to make another scrappy one as I have too many scraps. In Dec. I made up 4 scrap bags to sell at guild's January garage sale but couldn't make meeting. Resolved that I won't keep them so will donate them to guild's stash room. Next I'll attack my Retro scraps to make a donation baby quilt or some dolly quilts.

Don't know if Jersey has a groundhog but if we do he won't see his shadow today as the sun isn't out. Not too sure what it is doing outside but we didn't get the inches of snow predicted because sometime during the night it turned to rain. Hosting my small group tonight but we'll see what the roads are like later today - we can always reschedule.

Lots of problems, sad happenings and worries for some of us Keep Smiling guys - helps us the through our difficult days.

Midge
February 2nd, 2015, 11:20 AM
Morning all! It's all that stinkin' groundhog's fault. We got socked in this big storm with about 8" of snow and this morning the wind chill is -5 deg. It was a very quick walk for the dog, needless to say. His poor toes developed some big iceballs even with a short walk. Sharing the Superbowl disappointment here. At least the coach took responsibility as Jean said for the most bone-headed play in superbowl history. Everyone I know was rooting for Seattle (Belichick is one of the woeful Cleveland Sports Fan's long history of people we love to hate) and couldn't believe what happened.

Monique, Jean, all whose hearts are heavy today, know that your stories have touched our hearts too.

ravelim
February 2nd, 2015, 11:21 AM
Blondie, those are beautiful quilts.I'm thinking I would love to try one out making but just not good enough at quilting....yet.

About done with my Valentine table topper in an altered block pattern. Practicing everything on it. Getting better at it. I used the kiss kiss charm pack I had. Next challenge quilting some UFOs.

Prayers for all.

Sandy Navas
February 2nd, 2015, 11:31 AM

Six weeks from today, regardless of what Phil has to say, Spring will arrive!

Sending lots of hugs to all our forum friends who are going through difficult times. Know that you are being thought of kindly.

Spent yesterday doing a stitch-intensive embroidery on my machine - turned out fantastically well, in spite of running out of black thread right in the middle of the sewing machine pattern - hardly noticeable with the switch - all black threads are NOT the same. Then I managed to get my Thanksgiving banner (from last year, right!!) put together and appliqued. Will try to get that one quilted today. Guess I can't plan on doing much of anything else since schools are closed, the roads are slick and dangerous, the pantry is full and I have no reason to spend valuable time trying to clean house. Oh, and I managed to get more flannel pieces cut for the backing on the homespun quilt I'm making.

Sprinkling some happy dust here - keep smiling because Blondie says!! (Loving her new quilted projects, too). Feel better everyone and rest assured you are being thought of.

Navy Wife
February 2nd, 2015, 11:36 AM
Florida is a bit cloudy and warm this morning. Rain expected later with a cold front.

I put this in my post about Grace, but will say it here also. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. We were prepared for her passing, but you are never really prepared for death. She will always be remembered and loved.

We have to go shopping today to get DH something to wear to the memorial in Atlanta. I told him to bring something, but he didn't. I hope there are still some sweaters in the stores here in Tampa!

Then I will start back to work on a quilt for Matthew, our great grandson expected in May. My four grandchildren are all about the same age, and they are popping babies out like crazy. One says she's not having any, but she's 29 and has time to change her mind! Life goes on!

I hope you all have a good day. I have hugs and prayers for those who need them.

Linda

rebeccas-sewing
February 2nd, 2015, 01:09 PM
Today is my first full day back in the Netherlands. Interesting weather here. This morning I came downstairs to sit at the kitchen table as I usually do. The sun was shining, then clouds and snow, a bit later sunny skies, then clouds and rain, now it's beginning to clear again. WOW! I'm bundled up since the mister only has the heat up to 64 degrees in the house. Yesterday, he was walking around with what appeared to be a fleece skirt. To keep warm he takes a small fleece blanket and attaches it to himself like a skirt. What a weirdo!!!

I'm so sorry to hear all the troubles some of you are experiencing. I hope your days improve soon. Jet lag is beginning to hit me but I simply must stay awake until bedtime. A tall order so I'm indulging in another cup of tea.

Blondie, lovin' the quilts! Hang in there. Spring will be here before we know it.

Carrie J
February 2nd, 2015, 01:30 PM

I'm always amazed, being from Upstate NY, whistle pigs were the bane of farmers everywhere! How I learned to shoot thanks to my Irish Grandpa! Couldn't help with this picture. My thoughts on Winter, yeah it's a Season and a pain, but consider the alternative. We fuss, we moan, but if you look at it, how much more quilting do we get done, as opposed to Spring and Summer? Exactly! :D It takes more facial muscles to frown than it does to grin, so I choose to :D! Cold here, you betchya 27 F outside and Miss Mags did her tour of the yard in record time! Sitting here with the first cuppah, and it's Heaven. My wish for everyone today is humor, smiles, thankfulness and gratitude for another day that started fresh and new, and the chance to make it what we want, need or desire!

Blondie, beautiful quilts, both!! LIke you, had no dog in the fight, but what a ?!?!?!? ending!!!!
Shirley, no doubt Punxsutawney Phil will give us bad news............
Pam, didn't have the windows open here, too chilly and damp, temps dropped all day, and this morning ice in the ditches, geesh!
Barb, certainly hope your day improves, both health wise and your new machine, wow!
Monique........{{{{Hugs}}}}
Amy, made a bed pillow for our Bostie, Hubs said, "Eh, she won't like it." Put it on the floor and she hasn't moved from it! LOL, they KNOW!!! Good deal on the Hubs, sometimes it takes just one project and they're off!

CarolynK
February 2nd, 2015, 01:48 PM
Good Morning!

Love, Love your quilts, Blondie. They are beautiful and really love the stars.

More of the same stuff here, work, work, work.

Monique, thinking about you and holding you up in prayer as well as Bubba and Jeff and others who need comfort and prayer.

Carolyn

Eriepatch
February 2nd, 2015, 01:52 PM
Blondie, love the quilts and know you are happy to have them finished!

To everyone having sadness or sickness I just want to say I'm sorry.
So many of you I don't know other than from reading your posts but
I do care about your problems.

We are dealing with losing DH's mother (96) Don't know how much longer
she can hold on but it can't be long now.
DH is an only child and very close to his mom so it's going to be hard even
though he knows it will be a blessing to have her out of pain and suffering.

At least Spring will be here in six weeks no matter what Phil says.

RockinLou
February 2nd, 2015, 02:48 PM
Greetings!! I'm finally out of the flu-turned-pneumonia induced fog that took over our lives last week. I'm struggling to sleep from the steroids they gave to get me breathing, but my kids were back to school today, my husband and I will be back to work on Wednesday, and we have a wonderful, supportive community of friends here taking care of us.

I had a new desk delivered, so I look forward to straightening up my space and tidying my things tomorrow morning while the kids are at school. I haven't gone back to sewing yet, but maybe the re-arrange will give me a needed kick in the rumpus regarding that!

I hope you manage the weather well, spring will come, and in a few months we'll all be upset by the summer heat!! ;). I actually sew more in the summer, because of time allowances, but I'm probably in the minority there.

Blondie, I love the quilts! Thanks for kicking of the day with something cheerful!
Barb, I hope you and Dottie feel better soon, and that Jeff is well tended to. Good luck with the apartments, they seem to be the source of great struggles recently, I'll keep you in my prayers.
Monique, hang on there, beautiful, trying times though these are, I'm sure the loved ones lost want you to spend your days full of joy, you can get back to yourself and do something lovely in honor of them.

Goodnight from KAZ

RockinLou
February 2nd, 2015, 03:13 PM
I have a question. Is there a reason we need to warn about posts having a lot of pictures in them? I see a lot of people post that warning, I just didn't know why.

Back in the internet stone ages, when most people were on dial-up, photos could really really slow down how long it takes a post to load. This is also why avatar images are so small. It is considered good forum etiquette to forewarn if a post might take a long time to load due to high data content like photos :)

Simply Quilting
February 2nd, 2015, 04:01 PM
Good Afternoon. We have sunshine after the snow and blowing winds. I finished up some pillowcases yesterday and worked on getting all the sewing stuff put away. I've got some ladies coming over tomorrow night for a meeting which means all the sewing stuff has to be put up since the sewing area is a corner of the living room. Today is working on laundry and getting the house ready for company. Some people in town loss power yesterday for a while, thankfully, ours stayed on.

I also need to work on a presentation for tomorrow night. And figure out what kind of snack that I want to make.

Hugs to those who need them.

Have a nice Monday everyone :)

Juliet Taylor
February 2nd, 2015, 06:33 PM
Hello everybody!

First of all I want to send hugs and happy thoughts to everybody in need. I see there has been some difficult days for a lot of people and I want to send you some love!

Now I want to share my day with you all :)
I woke up from nightmares, put in the oven the chocolate buns and the bread I left rising during the night, then I slept another hour side by side with DH. Then I started feeling a panic attack rising and I was freaking out, even though my sister was coming for lunch and I was happy about it.
Gladly DH knows me very well so he made me dress and get out of the house as soon as my sister arrived, and after 20 minuts by car... snow in the mountains! Oh my! I was so happy and so was she! And we played a lot in the snow while walking, made a snowball fight ( I love them) and then... my sister's FIRST SNOWMAN!
I can't believe it! I never really realized she never had the occasion! And we did it togethere!!! I was so happy. Since she's 18 and I'm 28 she has always been half a sister and half a daughter for me :)
Then back home and I finally managed to make her favorite dish! Gnocchi with butter and sage. Pretty easy maybe, but I wanted to nail it and after a few tries in the last two months I made a great dish! So happy! How useful is to have sage and rosemary in my garden!

Now bad thoughts are away from me... maybe tomorrow they will come back, I have no idea, but I have a lot of joy because of today and some good news... so for today I can smile happily and sweetly!

bscuzz
February 2nd, 2015, 07:36 PM

Hello Folksies!
Let's all welcome Monday and February with a thankful heart. Thankful that there are that many less days of bad weather and dangerous conditions for those who must be out and about in it.

February. Heart month. I think I will do something neat for hubs for Valentines this year. I don't know what; don't have much time to think and plan - any suggestions? I have been haunting Pinterest and haven't found exactly what tickles my fancy yet. Perhaps you have one old tried and true smile maker?

As promised here is the Smky Mtn Stars finish that will be Middle Son's b'day gift.

It is made mostly with shirts and I decided on the piano key style border. It's not perfect but it's done. Loads of mistakes because it wouldn't be mine if there weren't.

Here is also a pic of the quilt for the DD's MIL, here on out just called Lois.

I hate the pic is so dark; will try to take another one. The blocks that look so dark are actually another star with brown cornerstones. The paisley in that star is a brown tone as well. I am really liking the way this is looking.

Hoping everyone has a super duper day. I understand there are happy people in New England today and those in Seattle promising next year will be different ending. I didn't care exactly since I didn't have a dog in that hunt. I do love football and have nothing to say about the game last night except, wow.

Prayers for each one with a special need, matters of the heart and in general, need some cheering up. Here is a pic of a smile banner I made for the shop. It helps me smile.

Blondie, first both your quilts are truly gorgeous! For me, I am in love love love with the Smky Mtn Stars quilt . . . the quilt itself, but the name also - since it's such a perfect depiction of your quilt! No more special place on earth that I have ever seen! Not that I think I could quilt it myself, but perhaps I could accomplish the piecing one day . . . can I ask the pattern you used? Your middle son will treasure his quilt, I'm sure.

I've read all the morning posts and feel sad for those who are sick, sad, grieving or just down for whatever reason . . . . I'll add prayers for everyone. I'm usually a "cup half full" kinda person, but my aftermath of surgery (right outta the blue) has overshadowed my 'sense of humor' 'n I ain't liking that too much! So my prayers will be to lighten our spirits so we can 'pick ourselves up and smile' as we quilt!!!

FabStripper
February 2nd, 2015, 10:14 PM
I LOVE your quilts! I am trying to get shirts gathered to start the Smokey Mountain stars quilt. I hope I can make mine half as beautiful as yours is.

ilive2craft2
February 2nd, 2015, 11:37 PM
Blondie, both of your quilts are fantastic (as usual!)!! But, I have to say, I just love love love the Smokey Mountain stars. That one is on my to do list. Just love Bonnie Hunter patterns and you nailed it GF!

Hugs and prayers to all! 6 more weeks of winter or just 6 more weeks until spring!