PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo I made it to Saturday!!! *warning rambling rant

lapeoples
January 31st, 2015, 08:50 AM
Reallllly long week this week. I manage a kitchen for a food service company. We are a small account with just 3 of us. Our building has 350 people but on the average day we serve 100 for breakfast and 125 for lunch. This Thursday was supposed to be a free lunch for everyone of comfort food - meatloaf & mashed potatoes, homemade chicken pot pies and home made veggie lasagna. Add dessert and it's a lot to do. Last Wednesday they came to me and said they had to move it up a day to this Wednesday. Yikes I've lost a whole prep day. Then the proposed mega storm for Pa and I think oh no I might lose another day. I worked 10 hrs on Sunday prepping stuff then worked all week.
On Tuesday I had my surprise Steritech audit -our company hires someone to do food safety audits that take 2+ hours or longer at a time. More time lost.
On Wednesday while I'm setting up for everyone to come through 2 company district managers and several others were holding a meeting in my serving area 45 minutes before everyone is expected the door buzzer ring again and as I am mumbling Pirate phrases I yank open the door to a lady that says "Board of Health - I'm here for your inspection (a month early). Yipee. As I walk here out to check on stuff my new boss says do you have a few minutes? Might have lost it a little when I say "No! Does it look like I have a few minutes?" Luckily my old boss was there and he laughed.
BOH lady says can't do this, can't do that to which I replied "Write it up then because I have to get 350 people through the lines with enough time for them to eat their food in 1 1/2 hours. I don't have time to change anything for you and move it back to the way I have it now in the 20 minutes before we open." I think I might have lost my reputation for always being unflappable.
On the plus side I got a lot of really nice comments about how good the food was. I did have to laugh when someone said we always make everything look so effortless!
Now to enjoy the weekend!

Madeforyouinma11
January 31st, 2015, 08:57 AM
Sorry you had such a crazy week, but it sounds like you handled it bravely. Enjoy your weekend!

irishrn
January 31st, 2015, 08:58 AM
OMG! What a week. You deserve a whole week of Sunday's off!,

toggpine
January 31st, 2015, 09:06 AM
That WAS a long week! At least you have all of the inspection stuff out of the way for a while!
Find some quadruple chocolate ice cream, a spoon, and put your feet up!

Jean Sewing Machine
January 31st, 2015, 09:08 AM
Put your feet up and take a day off, you deserve it!

Monique
January 31st, 2015, 09:12 AM
Now time for a glass of wine and put your feet up.

LRM
January 31st, 2015, 11:11 AM
When people say you make it look effortless take that as the highest compliment. Even if you lost your cool a bit the situation you describe would have had me losing more than that! You made it through with flying colors! Pat yourself on the back and enjoy the weekend. I hope you don't have another week like that any time soon. Congrats on your success, even if it came with lots of stress.

Sandy Navas
January 31st, 2015, 11:22 AM
If I find myself in that position my nose starts to itch and the itch can only be relieved by my tall finger . . . wonder why that is?

Susann
January 31st, 2015, 12:43 PM
A lost prep day, Steritech AND BOH?!?!?! Oh,Sweetie, you deserve a BIG raise!!!

rebeccas-sewing
January 31st, 2015, 01:02 PM
Most definitely the ol' saying "When it rains, it pours" is most certainly apropos. I feel pretty certain that next week will be much better. I can't imagine how it could be any worse than this one. I hope you're relaxing and enjoying your weekend. You surely deserve it.