PDA

View Full Version : I was shocked!

Cathy F
January 30th, 2015, 03:21 PM
I had a spacesaver under the cabinet mount electric can opener for over 30 years. It was maybe $25.00 back then. The can opener broke the other day. I went to get another one was I shocked. They don't carry that model in any stores by me so I went online to Amazon. I thought they made an error in the price, they were anywhere from $200-499.00 depending on whether a used or new one. Have I been living under a rock, I would never pay that for a can opener. I will find space on my counter in my small kitchen for one that sits on the counter for $20.00! Now I know why I didn't see one in the store.

Iris Girl
January 30th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Isn't that crazy. We were in need of a new can opener and my son suggestion a space saver for under the cabinets. So off I went to amazon to check them out. boy was I surprised. I told him no way he didn't believe until he looked and saw for himself. He ws as shocked as I.

bubba
January 30th, 2015, 03:33 PM
We use nonelectric hand crank ones!!! Did you check on Ebay? I have found brides that sell duplicate wedding presents rather than trying to return them and got a brand new Kitchenaid hand mixer for $6!! It is a $90 mixer!!

Midge
January 30th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Yep. Ridiculous price for something rarely used. I switched to the Oxo hand can opener. Good even for people like me with arthritic fingers. Another piece of clutter off the counter, too.

Jean Sewing Machine
January 30th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Hand crank works for me, cheap and reliable.

K. McEuen
January 30th, 2015, 03:54 PM
I gave up on electric can openers a long time ago. They just never worked that well. I use a hand crank one and it is great.

Carolyn
January 30th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Our toaster went after several years, have you seen the price of new ones? I was thinking around $30-40. No, you can't touch a really good one for much less than$100! Some are $400. For a toaster. For that it had better make the bread and bring it to me buttered!

Kgrammiecaz
January 30th, 2015, 04:00 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-CO100B-Traditional-Multi-Purpose/dp/B001QVQ6IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422644328&sr=8-1&keywords=under+counter+can+opener

found this one - I think those prices are incorrect and nobody has caught it yet or something. I am quite sure no one would buy at those large prices.

K. McEuen
January 30th, 2015, 04:04 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-CO100B-Traditional-Multi-Purpose/dp/B001QVQ6IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422644328&sr=8-1&keywords=under+counter+can+opener

found this one - I think those prices are incorrect and nobody has caught it yet or something. I am quite sure no one would buy at those large prices.

Ha, you didn't notice that the $30.00 one is the only one out of stock?

Sandy Navas
January 30th, 2015, 04:04 PM
It all goes back to supply and demand - but obviously someone is making way too much money.

Dollar Tree sells a hand-crank for . . . $1.00.

toggpine
January 30th, 2015, 05:54 PM
We have a hand-crank can opener and it's just fine.
We inherited a "Lids-Off" electric jar opener when the grandparents passed. I kind of resented the space it took up on the counter for a while. I don't use it often, but when I can't get the stupid jar lid off because my hands won't grip or hold the lid/jar, that thing is worth the counter space. Small hands + early arthritis = more use of it in the future.

MayinJerset
January 30th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Always used old fashion can openers but arthritis is effecting my hands so going to try electric one or the Oxo Midge mentioned.
Recently I've had DH open cans for me but he's not always around when I need a can opened.

Dollyquilts
January 30th, 2015, 09:02 PM
As far as toasters, I've always said, "They can put a man on the moon. Why can't they make a decent toaster?" I got the last one at Tuesday Morning. My daughter bought the same one, a Cuisinart, $50, and theirs is already malfunctioning.

Deegles
January 30th, 2015, 09:09 PM
I must be under a rock too......geeeeez

kimsophia
January 30th, 2015, 09:37 PM
We got an electric one when my tendonitis was so bad that I couldn't use a regular can opener. This one doesn't require any hand squeezing gripping motion. http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-76606Z-Smooth-Opener/dp/B000R4J8PC/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1422664538&sr=1-1&keywords=can+opener+amazon&pebp=1422664540286&peasin=B000R4J8PC

It cuts from the side, which takes some getting used to. My tendonitis is gone but I still like it :)

Genny
January 30th, 2015, 10:19 PM
I've never had much luck with electric can openers but with arthritis in my hands I used them until my daughter had a Pampered Chef party and the dealer demonstrated their hand can opener. It works perfectly and has never hurt my hand. It cuts the cans from the sides leaving a smooth (not sharp) edge. I've had mine for over 3 years and use it many times a week and it still cuts like new. The link below will take you to it.

Smooth-Edge Can Opener - Cook's Tools | PamperedChef.com (http://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Cook%27s+Tools/Smooth-Edge+Can+Opener/2759#Overview)

Grandma Nan
January 30th, 2015, 10:21 PM
I have a Pampered Chef hand can opener and it is the best ever. It turns easily for anyone with arthritic fingers and there are absolutely no sharp edges on either the lid or the can when you use one and it is guaranteed for 3 years. I highly recommend all their products but especially this one.

Cathy F
January 31st, 2015, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the recommendation on the Pampered Chef one. I have an old hand crank can opener but this sounds like one I'd like to try. I love their baking sheets.

You can bet if I had $499.00 it would not be spent on a can opener but I guess some have cause they've posted their reviews on their purchase.

Kgrammiecaz
January 31st, 2015, 12:19 AM
Ok hanging head in shopping shame. No I did not notice out of stock temporarily. Duh to me. Sorry to all. Lol

I did see there are a handful of used on ebay for reasonable prices. Now I am thinking of getting one. But it is crazy to be in the hundreds. Does it have gold inside. It is no different than a standing one except it goes under the counter. Seriously. Some Microwaves are way cheaper.

auntiemern
January 31st, 2015, 12:45 AM
I use a rechargeable Gizmo from Black and Decker. I love it. DH isn't always around and I can no longer use hand crank ones.
Ok now I am shocked...I am going to hate having to replace mine if it stops working. I just priced them on Ebay. I think I got mine at WM for $15.

Hulamoon
January 31st, 2015, 12:56 AM
I wish I had an electric one right now. I can't even get the hose off the vacume cleaner. :(

JCY
January 31st, 2015, 01:10 AM
Toaster: I shopped around. Finally found what I wanted at Lowe's, but had to order it as they didn't have it in the store. It's a stainless steel 2 slice toaster, which retailed for about $25.00. Had to pay shipping, but I'm very happy with it. Can Openers: I found a very efficient hand held one at Ace Hdwr. of <$10.00. I know these aren't an option for those of you with arthritis. Prices going up: The real shocker is medications. I have one Rx, which used to cost me ~$17. co-pay. Now, with Medicare D plans, this Rx is not covered on the less expensive plans. This year we have a $320. deductible to meet, so my Rx cost out-of-pocket was $263.56! It probably costs them only 5 bucks to make the stuff. It's a rip-off. Once the deductible is met, this Rx is a Tier 3, so I'll still have to pay part of the cost.