PDA

View Full Version : My turn... What a morning!... (warning: rant ahead)

Sonic
January 30th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Ok, my turn to rant and it's a bad one...

Wow, it’s not even noon and I’ve already had quite the day…
First, with so much sleet and freezing rain overnight, then fresh snow on top, school was delayed this morning. That is always a challenge as I have a farm and have to really hustle on these mornings because of the schedule flip flop.

Ok, bundle up like an Eskimo, feed critters, shovel new snow path down to road, it’s really snowing and blowing…brrr…-2 F wind chills, and ouch my back is already hurting from shoveling all week. Rush inside, unbundled, pack lunch, holler “com’on kiddo… get a move on!!” (he’s slow as molasses.)
Bundle kiddo and myself back up and do the slippy slide down to the road, get nearly blown away in the wind, then breathe sigh of relief after kiddo is off to school.
Do the slippy slide back up the driveway and think to self…“I’m going to snuggle in and sew today!“

Get inside, get unbundled (again) and it’s 9:45. Time for more warm up coffee, thaw fingers and toes, then settle in with sewing machine. Microwave whirring, heaters running…normal sounds.

A few minutes and only one coffee sip later, I hear strange banging noises from the back of the house. Huh??
Hmm, maybe UPS is here and thumped the package down on the porch? But he never does that. Look out the side window to see if brown truck is in driveway…
No, it’s not. Weird.
Intuition says something is going on, so I go to the kitchen (back of the house) look out the back door…
WTH???
Big white box van stuck in my backyard!!! (yes, backyard, not driveway)
W.T.H???

Grrrr….
Quickly grabbed coat, boots, and gloves, but no time for extra layers because he’s on one of my flower beds. Plus he’s headed towards the barn. Oh no…he’ll accidentally let the chickens out!!! Crap!! (that’s not what I actually said though)

Now I will say I did very well not to yell at him at all, but did ask why he would pull into the yard?? “I don’t know.” he says.
Even thought I’m trained to deal with high pressure situations and people who are not overly burdened with intelligence, my hands still start itching.
It’s rather clear, even in the snow, where the plowed driveway is, and where it isn’t….. because of deeper, unplowed, and untracked up thick snow in the yard (ie: no tire tracks... nor hint of traffic....nadda) coupled with the sharp 90 degree angle he had to make from my straight as an arrow, obvious driveway.

So I spent the next hour digging, stuffing hay, pouring cat litter (thankfully I have [had] some even thought I don’t have cats) digging some more, and otherwise getting wet, dirty, and cold (temp is 12, windchill still around 0) trying to get him unstuck. He did some digging to, but his attempts to get out were making things worse!
He did not know how to properly rock a vehicle (we are in snow country here) and the more he tried the more he slid into the trees, flowerbed, and yard. At one point we was making some good progress backwards (nowhere to go forwards except more stuck in deep snow) then steered right into deeper, non-driveway snow and just stopped. **head/desk**
You don’t stop once you have momentum going…you keep going!! Especially when there is plenty of room!!!! Grrr…

I can back my extended cab truck, hitched to my 16 foot livestock combo trailer, in way worse snow than this, up and down my driveway with my eyes closed…it’s not a difficult place to get in or out of.
UPS, USPS, Fed Ex…they all do it all the time.
Logging trucks, tree trimmers, tri-axle dump trucks, a 32’ professional livestock hauler rig, and even a semi truck and trailer have been in and out of here….

Eventually we did get him out and he did apologize profusely and offered to pay for any yard damages, which was nice. I will have to wait until thaw that to see how the flower bed fared as he nearly took out the Rhody bush and a rose. Hopefully the perennials were unharmed. The one tree lost a few limbs but will be ok, and the yard..well, it’s a country yard. Handful of grass seed come March and it will be good as new by fall.
Sigh.

Now I have a headache from exhaust fumes and am chilled to the bone as I only had on half the amount of clothing needed for these temps. Still shivering a little.
I really don’t think I should attempt to sew unless I want to doing a whole lot of froggin’…probably need to just curl up on the couch with a blanket and take a nap…

Why was he here in the first place? He is a driver for a medical company that delivers prescription nutritional supplies for my son. (long story)
He had been here before when there was no snow, so I still cannot fathom why in the world he chose today to think he was going to have an off road adventure in my back yard!!

It looks much worse in person.
The destruction starts about 25 feet to the right of the first picture- he was nearly out here.
All together the mess/stuck area is probably 30 to 40 feet long right into the yard... towards the picnic table.

Sylvia H
January 30th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Oh no! If anyone deserves a "do over", it would be you. I hope you get warm, and calm, and can eventually do some quilting.

Over40momma
January 30th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Take a deep breath, no one was hurt (I admired your restraint), and get yourself into a warm shower. There are some folks that just do not know what to do with winter driving. Hugs to you sweetie.....the day can only get better from this point on!!!

bubba
January 30th, 2015, 03:41 PM
I think he was up to no good. I would have called the police and let them deal with it. They could have called him a tow truck and let the driver worry about that bill. You are a much braver woman than I am!

Sandy Navas
January 30th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Me, too (seconding bubba here). We had a UPS driver do something similar and I let him borrow the snow shovel. He miscalculated - he can dig out. I would have offered him a shovel and maybe (just maybe) a cup of coffee . . . and the name of a good driver's education school.

Kgrammiecaz
January 30th, 2015, 04:07 PM
My help - heck NO. I too might have offered a shovel - possible something to drink - but that is it. Dumb enough to pull in like that. My words would be totally unprintable.

Sonic
January 30th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Oh I did stand back....at first, and tried to let him do it on his own.
Until it became abundantly clear he didn't know what to do and was making things worse. Very worse, and taking plant life with it.
My first clue was the attempt to off road in my yard to begin with. ;)

I did ask him to call a tow truck. I'm pretty sure he was worried about loosing his job and wouldn't do it.
No way on this green earth I was going to invite him in for something warm to drink while we waited up to 2 hours for police to arrive. I'm in the boonies and there is usually only one county person for the non-town areas.
(been through this before)
Yeah, um no.
I'm a tough cookie, but I'm a cautious tough cookie. I'll keep you outside where I have the upper hand.

Leah53
January 30th, 2015, 04:18 PM
I hate to be a thread stealer but I had it much worse this week, sorta.

To preface this story, I live in South Carolina, no snow on the road, a nice bright sunshiny day. My granddaughter was on her way to he college and was sitting at a red light, looked in her rear view mirror and saw a car come behind her with no sign of slowing down on a 55 mph road, it finally did stop right in the back end of mine/granddaughters car. Amazingly no one was injured but both cars are totaled. The woman said the sun was in her eyes but since she showed no signs of slowing down I would venture to guess she was texting, she obviously was not paying attention to the road. She's from the same town as I am so she surely had to be aware there was a traffic light there.

I am now on my way to buy another vehicle. Still waiting to hear what her insurance company is going to give me for mine. She has Nationwide and I will say they have been pretty good, even got me a loaner.

Sonic
January 30th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Oh no Leah...is your GD ok???

HandsOffItsMine
January 30th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I agree, way too nice helping him dig his way out of that mess. A shovel, me back inside, waving from the living room window where it's warm and toasty. lol After 30 minutes, I might bring him some coffee...just maybe.

You deserve to have someone drive that course and bring you 2 large pizzas and a salad for dinner, if you're brave enough! :D

Amy R
January 30th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Oh dear I so worry when people are home alone. Regardless of gender. Yeesh! I'm glad it was a real delivery and not some crazy.
Hopefully they send someone better equipped for snow next time.

Leah53
January 30th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Yes Sonic, GD is fine thankfully, thanks for asking.

Carrie J
January 30th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Wow Leah!!!!myour tale of rashafrsahas FAR exceeds mine of yesterday!!!!! With you on the OH HECK NO BUB!!!!, you're staying outside and getting it done! Don't get the "unable to handle the truck OR the dig out, and that would be even more incentive for me to help get him OUTTA there!!! Gut feelings should be listened to, and know you are more than capable of handling yourself, kudos GF! So sorry you had to put up with that, and hopefully he knows next time, he won't be handled so kindly, and a tow truck/phone call will be made. Hope you've warmed up, and settled back in and down, LOL! Naps solve lots a things!!! :D

Sandy Navas
January 30th, 2015, 07:41 PM
I'll keep you outside where I have the upper hand.

And a shovel in her hand:

CarolynK
January 30th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Good Grief!!!! For crying out loud, what was he thinking???? Geez, you had way more patience than I would have. Kudos for helping him (or just doing it yourself because he clearly left a good part of his brain behind). Warm up girl!

SuzyQue
January 30th, 2015, 08:11 PM
I so understand your problem with rural life! Yes, you did the right thing to help him get out of there as soon as possible with the least amount of damage to your yard. Yes, it might seem rude, but I wouldn't have offered a chance for him to come in and warm or get a cup of coffee. Living in the country teaches you to just do things that you wouldn't attempt if you lived in the city. Listen to that small still voice of intuition and be safe. Meeting them outside generally puts you at the advantage. I am sorry you had such an eventful morning. Things like this never come at a convenient time! or a warm one!

Sorry about the car accident and glad your GD is ok. Hopefully she didn't tense up when she saw the car coming at her. How scary!

Sonic
January 30th, 2015, 08:22 PM
And a shovel in her hand:

Bwaahhhahahaaa.....I actually keep shovels, pitchforks, and tools strategically placed around the farm.

Sonic
January 30th, 2015, 08:32 PM
..... and hopefully he knows next time, he won't be handled so kindly, and a tow truck/phone call will be made. :D

Forgot to mention once the van was unstuck and I grabbed the delivery, I lectured him for the next time he comes out (about a month or so) where he could, and could NOT drive. I wasn't rude (maybe) but I am used to giving orders...lol.
He quipped that perhaps he should just park at the road and walk the packages up, but I told him if he could pull in straight, and straight only, stopping here (showed him exactly where) and back straight out, he should be ok.
(It really is totally straight...I can't even draw that straight)
I'm beginning to think I really should have offered him the name of a traffic school.

rebeccas-sewing
January 30th, 2015, 09:21 PM
That was quite an unpleasant event! Hopefully, when spring comes you can get you're yard back to square one. I'm glad he offered to pay for the damage. Some folks wouldn't even bother.

Simply Quilting
January 30th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Wow. And I thought I had dealt with some crazy drivers.

laura44
January 31st, 2015, 12:39 AM
I have to give it to you, you are one tough woman. I probably would
have been yelling at him in frustration. Glad no one was hurt.
Sometimes I am glad we don't get snow.

toggpine
January 31st, 2015, 06:03 AM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that leaves 'tools' about.

Your patience and restraint is admirable!