PDA

View Full Version : Still in the hospital

redcaboose1717
January 29th, 2015, 06:43 AM
I am still in the hospital here in Ann Arbor MI......at the U OF M Hospital. I am in room 6127 bed 2.
I have been in the hospital since Dec 5th ( I was in the hometown hospital from 12/05 to 12/18 and then transferred to the U OF M. I was then admitted to the hospital 12/18 until the 4th of January when I was re-admitted.
I was told that my kidneys were not working ( my left kidney is very small and not working at all. The right kidney is larger, to compensate for the small left kidney )

I was told that my kidneys are "asleep", and the Drs feel that my kidneys will wake up. I am doing dialysis here in the hospital's dialysis unit for 30 days and hopefully the kidneys will wake up ! Once I am discharged I will have to return to the hospital dialysis unit for 30 days. Then if the kidneys have not "woke up" by that time, then I will go to a dialysis center close to home ( we live 46 miles from the hospital )
What I want to know is if any of you have experienced this.....or if you know someone that has had their kidneys "go to sleep" and then wake up later(?)

I am experiencing severe nausea when the dialysis first begins. The nausea lasts through out the entire dialysis treatment. I have tried not eating prior to the treatment,yet this doesn't help.

in closing, due to my other illnesses, having to be told that my kidneys aren't working ( and no, the Dr has no reason WHY this happened to me.....it just did.
I am on a low sodium Renal diet. While I don't mind the diet the fact that I have had to use the diet makes me feel really down at times.

If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know.

Smiles!:icon_wave:

Simply Quilting
January 29th, 2015, 06:50 AM
{{{Hugs}}} No advice but hugs and let you know that you will be prayed for.

Jean Sewing Machine
January 29th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Oh, you poor dear! My prayers are for an improvement in your condition so you can leave the hospital and feel better soon!

Carol336
January 29th, 2015, 06:58 AM
oh Sugar, I wish I had some advice. All I can do is pray for you and send {{{BIG HUGS}}}} your way. Surely there must be some way to wake those lazy kidneys and get them working again. Hang in there girlfriend......

Learner quilter
January 29th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Oh you poor thing. Wishing you a speedy recovery (((hugs)))).

MomGram
January 29th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Oh, I've never heard of this. I'm praying for a speedy and full recovery. When my mom was ill our family went on a reduced sodium diet with her. Now I can taste salt very easily so don't need as much. Often foods are too salty to me now that where fine before.

Suzette
January 29th, 2015, 07:55 AM
I am sorry I don't have advice or experience with what you are going through, but know that you are in my daily thoughts and prayers for peace, comfort and a full recovery. Hugs!

Iris Girl
January 29th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Sending healing thoughts and hugs for a speedy recovery and that your kidneys will wake up soon.

Monique
January 29th, 2015, 08:33 AM
I have nothing to offer but my prayers that you will recover fully from this. Keep us posted when you can.

Cathy F
January 29th, 2015, 09:07 AM
I'm so sorry to hear all you've been through. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for a recovery for your kidneys and the strength and positive outlook to get you through this. Wish I could make the time fly for you so you could get home.

MaryD
January 29th, 2015, 09:09 AM
I haven't heard of the term 'asleep' or 'waking up' with reference to kidney failure. But I do know that some kidney failures which are caused by food poisoning, infections, or drug use (not necessarily illicit drugs) can cause temporary kidney failure. If the doctors are not sure why your kidneys have failed and the onset of your renal disease has been sudden and unexpected, there may be a good chance that your kidneys will 'wake up'.

Twenty per cent of kidney failure is of unknown origin. Mine is. About fifty per cent is because of diabetes. So if anyone is diagnosed as being pre-diabetic PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take notice of it. It's not hard to take steps to reduce the risk.

I have been on dialysis for four years now, and for some unknown reason my kidneys are improving to the extent that my nephrologist is conferencing with a few others tomorrow to work out if it's possible for me to cut back on dialysis - I'm hoping that I will be able to give it up altogether.

You have been in hospital for an awfully long time. I would be screaming to get out by now. I do peritoneal dialysis rather than haemo dialysis, so I have no suggestions for your nausea. I've been wondering how you are going. Have you checked out the 'I Hate Dialysis' discussion board yet? They are very supportive, and I'm sure you'd find some helpful suggestions there.

Meanwhile - {{{Hugs}}}

TRLSRL72
January 29th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Praying for a speedy recovery.

WendyI
January 29th, 2015, 10:44 AM
I have no advice but do wish you a very speedy recovery....hang in there! (((HUGS)))

Granny Judy
January 29th, 2015, 11:46 AM
I, too, am praying for a better quality of life for you. Not much is known about your condition... and thus not much is known how to treat it. It's understandable that you are feeling really low. But hang in there.. we here are sending our best thoughts and prayers for your recovery.

auntiemern
January 29th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Oh Sugar, so sorry you are going through all of this. I have no words of wisdom, but I can and will say prayers for a speedy recovery, and understanding.

Grandma G
January 29th, 2015, 05:09 PM
I am like most of the others - no helpful advice but wanting you to know you are being thought about. I have never heard of sleeping kidneys. Please stay strong. Prayers headed your way.

HandsOffItsMine
January 29th, 2015, 06:56 PM
((Jacqueline)), prayers for you that they will find a way to progress in helping you with your illness. Being in the hospital that long has to be tiring. I would take Mary's suggestion and check out that Forum group, not only for support but for the possibility of finding others with your same condition.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing, we're here for you.

Huggers, Ruby

lyric
February 5th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I, for one, am relieved amongst a host of other emotions relative to your health. I have written, I have called, I have prayed, and find on a humble, stopping in here that you are fighting this situation. Still, I am glad to know you are still with us, Sugar.

With love and respect,

Lyric

ETA: PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can do, can send to you, or something that perhaps I have not even mentioned.

Carol336
February 6th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Never heard of sleeping kidneys, but I'm praying that your's wake up very soon. I know you're anxious to get home to your loved ones and start back doing the crafts and quilting that you enjoy so much. We're all praying for that too Sugar. Hang in there sweetie, and please keep us posted on your progress.