PDA

View Full Version : Snaggly dried-up fingertips!

kimsophia
January 29th, 2015, 06:20 AM
Yecch! It's not my fingernails snagging on fabric, but the skin around my nails...so hard and peeling...what do you do?

shirleyknot
January 29th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Warm oil soaks do wonderful things.

YellowCockatiel
January 29th, 2015, 09:47 AM
I rub Vaseline into my cuticles. Helps on the elbows and knees too.

irishrn
January 29th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Get white gloves and slather Vaseline on at night and wear gloves! Hands are great in the morning.
My skin cracks at the slight touch. I made mine bleed yesterday peeling a hard boiled egg! Seriously!!
Gloves on last night!!

Blondie
January 29th, 2015, 10:02 AM
good advice above - gloves for sure with vaseline or vicks - if you can swing it, get yourself a wax warmer - sold at Sally's or even Walmart - dip your hands in a few times a day. It really works wonders for hands and tootsies.

yeeehawterri
January 29th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Real Shea butter has wonderful effects. Great for feet and elbows. The real stuff is very hard, I warm it up for a few seconds in the microwave. Makes my old skin soft as a baby's butt.

RockinLou
January 29th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Burts Bees makes a lemon cuticle salve that I love, rub it on at bedtime every night... I never could sleep with gloves on my hands!

snippet
January 29th, 2015, 11:23 AM
I'm a shea butter fan. I bought a 1 pound tub of the stuff and use it all the time. I scooped some out of the container, added a few drops of lavender and melted it a bit in the microwave. I keep it in the bedroom and use it every night.

Cathy F
January 29th, 2015, 11:39 AM
I use a product called bag balm. It was used to help milking cows be comfortable, and put on their udders. I don't use a thimble when I hand quilt and my finger takes a beating from the needle. This product really helps heal dry cracked skin. You can google it it is sold also I believe on Amazon.

Lilly
January 29th, 2015, 11:47 AM
I use coconut oil throughout the day. I put some from the kitchen into a nice jar in the bathroom. But when I'm in the kitchen I often sneak a bit from the jar by the stove.

Heather
January 29th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Before bed I rub a bit of Neosporin around the cuticles, then a nice heavy lotion. Cover your hands with those lightweight cotton moisturizing gloves, or a lightweight sock.

I use coconut oil throughout the day. I put some from the kitchen into a nice jar in the bathroom. But when I'm in the kitchen I often sneak a bit from the jar by the stove.

Can I ask maybe a silly question, but does coconut oil have a very strong coconut smell? I really dislike the smell of coconut, but I hear wonderful things about the oil, thought maybe Iíd try it but donít want to waste it if I canít tolerate it.

HandsOffItsMine
January 29th, 2015, 01:35 PM
good advice above - gloves for sure with vaseline or vicks - if you can swing it, get yourself a wax warmer - sold at Sally's or even Walmart - dip your hands in a few times a day. It really works wonders for hands and tootsies.

I'd need a Turkey Fryer for my feet Blondie! lol

shirleyknot
January 29th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Before bed I rub a bit of Neosporin around the cuticles, then a nice heavy lotion. Cover your hands with those lightweight cotton moisturizing gloves, or a lightweight sock.

Can I ask maybe a silly question, but does coconut oil have a very strong coconut smell? I really dislike the smell of coconut, but I hear wonderful things about the oil, thought maybe I’d try it but don’t want to waste it if I can’t tolerate it.

No smell nor taste of coconut in any I have had.

shirleyknot
January 29th, 2015, 01:58 PM
I use a product called bag balm. It was used to help milking cows be comfortable, and put on their udders. I don't use a thimble when I hand quilt and my finger takes a beating from the needle. This product really helps heal dry cracked skin. You can google it it is sold also I believe on Amazon.

No thimble here either. Got some pretty serious needle calluses.

bubba
January 29th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Mine get like that when I am working with batting or 987F. Sucks the moisture right out of them!

kaydee
January 29th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Get white gloves and slather Vaseline on at night and wear gloves! Hands are great in the morning.
My skin cracks at the slight touch. I made mine bleed yesterday peeling a hard boiled egg! Seriously!!
Gloves on last night!!

Yup, I agree. Vaseline at night with gloves. If you want something during the day, I'd recommend Aquaphor healing ointment. It comes in a tub like Vaseline. Good stuff.

Sewbee
January 29th, 2015, 03:49 PM
I have a terrible problem with dry, snaggly, split finger tips especially in the winter. Was recently told to try Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream, fragrance free. It works great with immediate results. It only takes a little and it absorbs immediately leaving finger tips feeling smooth. Using it twice a day has made a huge difference in my hands. It is carried at the usual drugstores and is available online. A 2 oz tube of hand cream is supposed to be over 200 applications.

AMAZON NEUTROGENA NORWEGIAN FORMULA HAND CREAM (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Neutrogena+Hand+Cream+Norwegian+Formula+F ragrance+Free+2+Oz+&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ANeutrogena+Hand+Cream+Norwegian+F ormula+Fragrance+Free+2+Oz+)

songbird857
January 29th, 2015, 04:04 PM
aquaphor is great - a bit pricey, but worth it.

Midge
January 29th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Yep, handling either paper or fabric really dries out the skin. I avoid Vaseline like the plague - it is a petroleum based product. Yuck. Things I have found that work: Solar Oil which is a manicure product. Also doesn't mess up your manicure. Coconut oil like you use for cooking - fabulous natural approach, warm a bit between your fingers to liquefy and rub in. Also fantastic overnight treatment for dry damaged hair. Real shea butter also very healing and natural nut oil

K. McEuen
January 29th, 2015, 05:16 PM
While the oils mentioned work well, you may not want to have any traces of them on your hands when working with fabric as the oils can stain. Use them for night time treatments.

On hand lotions, avoid any that contain alcohol, as that also dries the skin. Eucerin Cream is a good, non-alcohol lotion, well, more a cream like cold cream, it's thick and rubs in well with no trace. I was given some in the hospital to use on a newborn as she had chapped hands when she was born.

asta
January 29th, 2015, 05:22 PM

I too have found the wonders of coconut oil. I even use it as a conditioner in my hair, rub a bit on in the evening and wash as usual in the morning, curbs those fly aways.

Midge
January 29th, 2015, 06:15 PM

Can I ask maybe a silly question, but does coconut oil have a very strong coconut smell? I really dislike the smell of coconut, but I hear wonderful things about the oil, thought maybe Iíd try it but donít want to waste it if I canít tolerate it.

Virgin cold-processed coconut oil (the kind that provides health benefits) does definitely smell of coconut and have a coconut taste. Processed coconut oil doesn't. So if you want the great lubricating and moisturizing properties of the medium chain triglycerides found in coconut oil avoid the jars labeled virgin cold processed. If you want the health benefits, sorry, you need the virgin oil. Processed oil is much cheaper to try in case you don't like it.

Genny
January 29th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I have a terrible problem with dry, snaggly, split finger tips especially in the winter. Was recently told to try Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream, fragrance free. It works great with immediate results. It only takes a little and it absorbs immediately leaving finger tips feeling smooth. Using it twice a day has made a huge difference in my hands. It is carried at the usual drugstores and is available online. A 2 oz tube of hand cream is supposed to be over 200 applications.

AMAZON NEUTROGENA NORWEGIAN FORMULA HAND CREAM (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Neutrogena+Hand+Cream+Norwegian+Formula+F ragrance+Free+2+Oz+&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ANeutrogena+Hand+Cream+Norwegian+F ormula+Fragrance+Free+2+Oz+)

The lady that does my hair told me she uses this and has great results with it.

Lilly
January 30th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Virgin cold-processed coconut oil (the kind that provides health benefits) does definitely smell of coconut and have a coconut taste. Processed coconut oil doesn't. So if you want the great lubricating and moisturizing properties of the medium chain triglycerides found in coconut oil avoid the jars labeled virgin cold processed. If you want the health benefits, sorry, you need the virgin oil. Processed oil is much cheaper to try in case you don't like it.

I use the Virgin cold pressed and frankly I don't notice any coconut smell. I would use coconut oil and cover my hands with cheap little cotton gloves (try JCPenney) like I used to do with the vaseline - if my hands were like you describe yours. The overnight soaking seems to be really important. I also use coconut oil on my feet. I use it on my whole body after a shower. Winters are very drying in Minnesota.

Midge
January 31st, 2015, 12:07 AM
I always get Nutiva brand, which does have a faint aroma.

Deegles
January 31st, 2015, 12:17 AM
Believe it or not the best thing for callouses or dryness of any kind for the hands and feet is a good soak of warm water, epsom salt, and VINEGAR! I soak my feet once a month in vinegar and water with a bit of epsom salt. The salt exfoliates, the vinegar breaks down the callous (or calcium build up on the skin), the water just wrinkles hehehe. After a good soak of 15 min then scrub with a washcloth and soap. Rinse, dry and then moisturize with some kind of lotion. Cheap home remedy and it works! You can soak a chicken bone in vinegar and it will dissolve the whole thing (which is made from calcium). It gets rid of all those hard water build ups on the skin. The condition of the fingers being dry....I call this velcro fingers.

IBake
January 31st, 2015, 03:19 AM
I use either Nivea or Gold bond. Either one are good with gloves on over night.

toggpine
January 31st, 2015, 05:48 AM
Bag Balm with old cotton socks. It's greasy as all get out as it's lanolin based (sheep wool grease). When we start kidding/milking season, I swear my hands are always in the wash water. It does my hands in every time. I've gotten to the point I'll start pre-treating my hands.
Most places (Walmart, Target, etc.) sell it in the pharmacy section. You will pay nearly as much for the tiny green tin (2 oz) as for the bigger one. It has an odor to it, smell it before you buy it. Some folks don't like it.
I have a tin for the barn and one for the house. Excellent for chapped skin, minor scrapes, dry & cracked fingers. I have also used the fine/finishing side of a metal nail file to buff down the rough 'velcro' parts if they are really causing problems while trying to sew/stitch. It's not the best way, but I can at least work with my fingers not snagging everything.