PDA

View Full Version : Working and quilting don't go together.....

shermur
January 29th, 2015, 05:31 AM
My projects are so behind....UFOs too many to count and the sewing area disorganized to try and complete anything.

Do you ever have days your creative flow is moving faster than you can keep up, yet life is too fast to let you creative flow live?

I so wish I could go into business for myself; as of late the company I have been temporary working for has shown it's true colors. In the beginning of starting my temp position, I would have taken an offer for a permanent position. I don't think I would now.

It's a long story; I just know, I can't be myself. I cannot prove myself any better than I already have. I cannot be around people who are narrow minded and too proud. For the first time since my family has moved to the Fort Smith Arkansas area, I'm disappointed. I guess that what I get for moving to the Bible-belt and the grass isn't as green as I thought.

MomGram
January 29th, 2015, 06:14 AM
Sherri, I'm sorry things aren't going well at work. You do need to find some time to create it will lighten your spirt. Try to craft at least 15min a day you will feel much happier (I believe).

shirleyknot
January 29th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Welcome to Arkansas. It's a different world.

Iris Girl
January 29th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Sorry things are not working well atm. Wish I had more time to quilt. my attention span is short and on a day off when I could sew uninterrupted because hubby is at work. I hop around a lot. from computer games, surfing the web, forum, to sewing, watching tv, cooking and baking. So not a lot of anything gets done.

shermur
January 29th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Welcome to Arkansas. It's a different world.

Yes, it is. don't get me wrong people are nice, but.....when it comes to finding a stable, permanent job, it's been very difficult. And trying to stay structured for the special needs daughter and all the other chaos with attempting to work....UGH!

Amy R
January 29th, 2015, 10:50 AM
It's culture shock I'm sure. I do have a lot more I would like to do everyday and can't keep up most times. Just try to relax your mind and imagine your projects and don't fret too much about the actual completion, one day at a time, one stitch at a time.

RockinLou
January 29th, 2015, 10:53 AM
I work full time, definitely don't get much time to quilt....

I have an aunt in Ft. Smith, AK though I've never been there myself.

shirleyknot
January 29th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Yes, most people are nice..................to your face.

Eriepatch
January 29th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Sherri, I'm sorry you're at a bad place. Were you able to find a church family ?
If not I hope you do soon and maybe you will feel better.
You sound overwhelmed at the moment and hopefully you can get some rest this
weekend to restore you physically, emotionally and spiritually.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
January 29th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Yup, the day job gets in the way of quilting for sure. I moan about that too. But for me, having a job falls in the category of "good" stress; I'm fortunate to be employed, and there are plenty of other people who would love to have my job. So I should try to recognize that what is causing me stress isn't really much of a problem. My standards for "bad" stress are pretty high, though, higher than most people's! So I may not be a good role model. :)

I hope things start to shift in a better direction for you soon. Taking care of a child with special needs is what I call "extreme" parenting. I've done some extreme parenting myself, and it's so hard. Everything is more complicated than it is with a child who doesn't have health or developmental problems. So -- in my opinion -- parenting, good stress; our kids suffering, bad stress.

shermur
January 29th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Sherri, I'm sorry you're at a bad place. Were you able to find a church family ?
If not I hope you do soon and maybe you will feel better.
You sound overwhelmed at the moment and hopefully you can get some rest this
weekend to restore you physically, emotionally and spiritually.

No, we have yet to find a church of the same like faith and order of what we're used to, And I know that would help....and yes, I am over-whelmed. I need to bring money into our home and temporary work is so uncertain.

Eriepatch
January 29th, 2015, 04:40 PM
(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

Altairss
January 29th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Deep breath, think of this as a filler job. One to help make the ends meet while looking for something better. Do some networking, try out a church or two to see if any of them fits better then they sound. I spent one whole summer trying out churches when I was young and found some that I thought would not fit actually did once I went. And sometimes you just need a visit to His house :)

Take a few minutes for yourself even if its only 10. Moving, stressful job and trying to find that new church while raising an exceptional child that is a lot and you need to feed your emotional well being so you can be there. Deep breaths you can get thru this and we will help you however you need.

Blondie
January 29th, 2015, 06:13 PM
You know, dear girl, that you have not had too many moments to really sit back and catch your breath with all the upheavals in your life recently. you are being far too hard on yourself. besides, jobs are always a pain in the tush and second guessing ourselves. It may take a bit more time but i am certain that you will find yourself more content when you are better situated in the new surroundings. It took me a good long year to get used to living back in NC all those years ago. Not so easy with three young ones grousing about school and being the new kids in the hall.
Take Anita's advice and spend 15 minutes a day to yourself for sewing. Or at least thumbing through magazines,, running your hands lovingly over the stash and promise you will return to it soon enough.
Now here is a big squishy hug - you will look back on this and see someone else's footprints in the sand.

My projects are so behind....UFOs too many to count and the sewing area disorganized to try and complete anything.

Do you ever have days your creative flow is moving faster than you can keep up, yet life is too fast to let you creative flow live?

I so wish I could go into business for myself; as of late the company I have been temporary working for has shown it's true colors. In the beginning of starting my temp position, I would have taken an offer for a permanent position. I don't think I would now.

It's a long story; I just know, I can't be myself. I cannot prove myself any better than I already have. I cannot be around people who are narrow minded and too proud. For the first time since my family has moved to the Fort Smith Arkansas area, I'm disappointed. I guess that what I get for moving to the Bible-belt and the grass isn't as green as I thought.

shermur
January 29th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Great advice quilty friends...thank you and hugs back to all of you!

We have been visiting churches that we think might be a good fit and then, we're disappointed. I need to pray about it more. And there may be good news about our former home selling....crossing my fingers hard for that miracle to happen.

Now the upheaval later on in today....I got a call out of the blue to start another temp to hire position that fits my qualifications and more money. But...the staffing company wants to start this position on Monday, the 2nd. I had to say no, because....Ashley and the baby will be here from the 8th through the 13th. I had to put family first, not a temp job. I suppose, if I'm patient something will come along later down the road. I hope you all don't think I'm nuts?

bubba
January 29th, 2015, 08:14 PM
I used to think that....I know for a fact I used to get more tops done when I was working than I do now! I delivered Libby's purse this morning, then the black and white purse to a gal from work after. From her, I got two more orders, oh and I need more business cards! I was at the hospital this morning and all the nurses want totes like mine (Seahawks bow tucks)!! She handed out every card she had and wrote it down at least a dozen more times she said.........

Claire OneStitchAtATime
January 29th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Great advice quilty friends...thank you and hugs back to all of you!

We have been visiting churches that we think might be a good fit and then, we're disappointed. I need to pray about it more. And there may be good news about our former home selling....crossing my fingers hard for that miracle to happen.

Now the upheaval later on in today....I got a call out of the blue to start another temp to hire position that fits my qualifications and more money. But...the staffing company wants to start this position on Monday, the 2nd. I had to say no, because....Ashley and the baby will be here from the 8th through the 13th. I had to put family first, not a temp job. I suppose, if I'm patient something will come along later down the road. I hope you all don't think I'm nuts?

No, I don't think this is nuts at all! Sounds to me like you have your priorities straight. Hang in there.

Eriepatch
January 29th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Yes, it was a difficult birth and afterwards....you NEED to be there for them and of course the baby breath
and snuggles will make you feel so much better! Just hang in there
Praying for your house to sell! That has to be hard with it hanging over you for so long.