PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a serger?

zenkitty
September 6th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I'm beginning to look at sergers, and the prices vary so much. It should at least have the differential feed on it. For those of you who have and use one, what are the most important things you like/dislike about it. Is it possible to get a good used one?

Biglucyfan
September 6th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I have a brand new brother serger that I have never used. I have no idea why I bought it I think I was in one of those moods where I thought I just had to have it. I don't sew clothes only quilts so my regular sewing machine does just fine for me. I am thinking of putting it on Craig's list because I don't use it, but like I said I am just into quilting. I know they are hard to thread, but that is probably because I don't sew, you will probably do great with it.

Sandy Navas
September 6th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I have a HuskyLock s25 which I bought about a year ago. I definitely have not used it as much as I should - took a class and then my 'instructor' got sick. The other classes are all held at a time that isn't convenient for me. I have made pillowcases and pajama bottoms on it and know how to thread it (not as difficult as I first thought) and use it when I can think of a good use. However, I know there are thousands of other things I could be doing with it - it all takes time and this old brain doesn't retain info as well as it used to.

Smfidler
September 6th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I just bought a new singer perfect finish combo, came with the machine and a serger. I absolutely love it. The thread lines are color coded! Makes it so very easy to use. I've only made one shirt with it since I bought it last week but its my first serger and I love how professional everything looked! I definitely recommend one if you do a lot of clothing projects like me.

Bubby
September 6th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I've had a serger for years and the only thing I have made on it are rolled edges on dinner napkins....and who really uses cloth napkins anymore??? I would rather spend my $$$ on fabric to make quilts! One might be useful if you are sewing a lot of garments.

bakermom
September 6th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I have had one for years. At one time I used it a lot, when i was garment sewing for my kids. Now not so much.

I think you should think about the type of sewing you do before you buy. If you make more things than quilt you would probably enjoy having it. I'm glad i had one to use all those years but doubt if I would buy one now.

jingleme
September 6th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I agree with bakermom....you do need to consider what kind of projects you will be doing. I've used several sergers over the years. Right now I have a 5 thread huskylock that I bought used about 5 years ago. I love it. Haven't had any problems with it at all. Like my Bernina which I also bought used. They're both dinosaurs, but they're made well. I use it for clothing, tote bags/purses etc. & stuffed animals. Even made a quilt -as-you go baby size quilt. You can whip up t shirts & shorts really fast. The new ones are expensive, but pretty fancy. They thread themselves. they ruffle, they have decorative stitches etc. If you decide to get one, it would be worth it to learn how to use it. Like most sewing machines, they can do WAY more than most of us ever take the time to learn & use.
A good dealer is pretty important too.
happy hunting.

zenkitty
September 7th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks. I never used anything made by Husquavarna. I want to use it for making yoga gear, and some camping clothes...pillowcases for the kids with terminal illnesses, that sort of thing. Brother makes a nice little inexpensive one. While the upper-end machines do all that self-threading, I don't think I need all the bells and whistles. Just differential feed and easy-to-follow threading.

toggpine
September 7th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I love my BabyLock Imagine. I sew some clothes on it. I have used it for making hooded towels for babies/kids, totes, diaper bags, and pillow cases for things right off the top of my head. The rolled hem feature is great on napkins, table cloths, flannel receiving blankets, skirt hems, and lettuce edging for making T's from the boy's department into girly t-shirts. The ruffle foot has made ruffles on bed & crib skirts, but haven't tried it on clothes yet. I have also sewn in elastic for crib sheets and diaper covers. I use it to put on my first side of the quilt binding for the quilts I know will be used & abused in the wash. Some folks even assemble their quilt tops with it. I plan on using it for the quilt I'll make with the bundle of silks I won, when I decide which pattern I want to use! I use it on the narrowest single needle seam and a longer stitch length to keep my cut edges from fraying when I pre-wash my fabrics. (I do use the cheapest thread for that purpose though since I'll either pick it out or trim it off.)
My BabyLock has an air-threader feature, which I like and it really doesn't take any longer to thread than my regular machine, if you figure you'd have to thread two needles. The lady at the Viking place tried to tell me that I'd be sorry once the bellows thingie wore out on my air-threader, because then I wouldn't be able to thread and use my machine. I told her I don't use it anyway, so it ought to last a long time. I just tie the old thread & the new one together and pull it through. The dealer told me that it was faster to do it that way and wouldn't hurt the machine in any way. Mine will even handle thicker threads like pearle cotton or pearle rayon to make a pretty overcast edge on a fleece blanket.
I do agree that if you get one, take the instruction class. I bought a workbook to learn all of the features since the classes were not at a good time for me. I have yet to make it through the book, but it has helped a lot in getting me to use it for more than PJ bottoms & halloween costumes, which it is great for by the way!
I'd try to find one used if you can. Check the sewing machine dealers, they get trade-ins AND this is the time of they year that they will have booths at the state fairs. Check to see if they have the sample models available for sale after the show. Check now, before they are all sold during the fair!
Happy serger hunting!

zenkitty
September 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Craigslist has a Babylock Imagine for $900. Is that a good price? I would ask for less, of course. It comes with CD, etc...and I think it's the Wave model.

toggpine
September 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
It looks like the Wave model is a step above mine. I think I paid $1200 less a trade-in for mine. I'd say that if all the pieces are there and it works, that would be a good price. Check with a dealer that carries BabyLocks though. They could tell you what warning signs to look for in a used machine. If it has the air threader option I'd make sure it works before you give them the $$$ and take it home.
Mine came with teepee-shaped cone supports, dust cover, dust brush/needle holder, and a few odd little tools. Make sure the thread hanger thingie telescopes all the way up (for sewing) and down (for storage/transport). It's kind of like a radio antenna and I imagine that if it got kinked it wouldn't work as well. Get the instruction manual and the easy reference card too! You could probably order one from Babylock if the owner can't find it.
Good luck!

Quiltin Gammie
October 10th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I have a brand new brother serger that I have never used. I have no idea why I bought it I think I was in one of those moods where I thought I just had to have it. I don't sew clothes only quilts so my regular sewing machine does just fine for me. I am thinking of putting it on Craig's list because I don't use it, but like I said I am just into quilting. I know they are hard to thread, but that is probably because I don't sew, you will probably do great with it.

You can make quilts with them too. I saw it on Fons and Porter just recently. It was a really nice looking one...

SuziC
November 5th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I have a new Brother Serger that i just LOVE. It's super easy to change threads and i have quilted with
it too. I make a lot of home dec stuff and kids PJ and sweats. It saves me so much time, i would be lost without my serger

zenkitty
November 15th, 2011, 09:50 PM
SuziC...I just saw your post and thanks! I have been looking at the Brother serger because it seems to be the right price and good reviews. Maybe Santa will drop one off under the tree this year.

Sharon G
November 15th, 2011, 10:10 PM
You might like to check out Allbrands.com for machines at good prices. Would have to consider the freight also.
Happy shopping! :icon_wave:

Laura87
November 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM
My sister is a former seamstress and sews for her hobby now but she swears by her Serger...she has a brother and loves it! She told that she seldom even uses her sewing machine and uses the Serger instead...

I happy with my Brother embroidery/combo machine that I use for everything at the moment. I don't have my own space to work in so I have pack it up and unpack it all whenever I want to work. Someday I will get my own space and then I will get a Serger.

zenkitty
November 16th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I wasn't sure if I would use it very much but....listening to everyone here and wanting to try something new, it sounds like fun. I found a shop that has several serger classes making all sorts of things. I will check out Allbrands and some other places to get some decent deals.
Like you, Laura, I have to pack/unpack things when I am working on a project, but that's a good thing. Makes me clean up after my mess!

zenkitty
November 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
BTW...any info on the Project Runway Limited Edition by Brother?

zenkitty
November 22nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
Ok, so I bit the bullet and ordered the Brother 1034D serger from Amazon, with free shipping. They had a better price than Allbrands and other places. I didn't need all the so-called freebies ( they really aren't if you add it up) and it has a 5 year warrenty. I can't wait til she arrives! I have no idea what to make, though! :icon_happy:

InGodzHndz
November 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
I also have a Babylock Imagine---I used my mom's for years and then was finally able to get mine out of layaway this last January. I just used it a little while ago...the headphones for my computer are having some flaking issues--the big earpieces that have the plastic coating on it is flaking off onto our ears. SO, I used a wide stitch, 3 thread and serged around the edges of some muslin and set in the itty bitty elastic inside the serged seams.
It will work, though it ain't purty!
I haven't used it as much as I thought I would, though.
Perhaps when I'm tired of the way store bought clothes fit, I'll make my own....
This machine is super easy to use and can take crochet thread stuff. (the stuff older women use to make doilies..lol)

quiltaholic
December 9th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I use a serger for all my quilt seams. They are much stronger - no more worrying about split seams.