PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated!

ozziepuppy
January 28th, 2015, 04:07 PM
I probably have two more chemo cycles. I have an extreme nausea/vomiting reaction to chemo. After the first cycle they lowered the dosages and added a whole bunch of anti-nausea meds and infusions that have controlled it (have not had to go in for additional IV's for anti-nausea meds and hydration). Two of the meds are in patches that go on your skin. I have developed a fairly severe skin allergy to both of them (red, itchy blisters). On Tuesday the nurse said I may just have to come in for additional IV infusions instead of using the patches. This is more difficult than it sounds because it usually involves a lot of vomiting and weakness, which makes the trip to get the IV very hard. I have pills but tend to have reactions to those also (had to stop taking two of them). I was so pleased with the skin patches because you don't have to swallow them (good when you are nauseated) and they release medication 24 hrs/day. One is changed every 3 days and one every 7 days. My next chemo session is next Tuesday and I am really anxious about it (and the following one). I see the doctor on Friday and maybe he will have a solution. Yesterday the nurse said we could try my back instead of arm but I am also having a reaction behind my ear (in addition to my upper arm) so I doubt that will help. Right now I am not wearing either of them and using steroid cream on the rashes (this is OK because 3rd week of cycle) but NOT happy about this latest development on top of putting up with all of the other side effects.

The doctor said he MIGHT stop at four cycles (last time I saw him) because of the problems I was having and I don't want this to push him over the edge to doing that (don't want the cancer to come back because of stopping chemo too early) and I am afraid if I overreact to this he will just stop chemo. On the other hand the first cycle was horrendous (before the lower doses and the patches). I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place.

OK, done venting. It is just very frustrating. That's all. :(

Claire OneStitchAtATime
January 28th, 2015, 04:15 PM
That's a rock and a hard place if ever I heard one. Thinking of you xxxx

Amy R
January 28th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Yuck, I'm so sorry you have to go through this.
Vent as much as you need!

K. McEuen
January 28th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Hopefully they can work something out for you. It is a trial and error process as each person reacts differently to the medications. I don't think I could tolerate the patches as I have an adhesive allergy. If there were some other way to stick them on ...

I know my mom had issues of all different kinds when going through chemo and I'm not sure she ever made it through a full 6 week cycle. They just kept on starting up again with her, until she finally got fed up with it all. Mom had a different cancer than you and they were just "keeping it in check" rather than working as a cure. She finally decided to go for quality of life rather than quantity.

Vent away, it probably does you a world of good.

Sylvia H
January 28th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Vent away! I think you need more discussion with your doctor. Perhaps the last treatment isn't really necessary. You know how we often do something "one more time" just to "make sure". But your doctor should be able to tell you this. If it is necessary, then I am hoping that you will find the stamina to deal with it. You have come so far in your recovery. It is my sincere wish that you will come out of this happy and healthy.

Divine Daisy
January 28th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Marci........big hugs!

Your experience sounds so like my first go at chemo. the high dose then being lowered. The nausea and shakes, additional meds and developing an allergy to adhesive materials. (I remain allergic btw~)

Ok...........takes a breath... from my now extensive experience of chemo .....this is your hardest week. Facing that last two treatments is the biggest hurdle you have to face. It is known as the Everest week at the HODU I attend, but once this week is over, you only have ONE to go!!!!! that feels so so good Marci I promise you. You have done so well, come so far. It is nearly done and the end is in sight. Then you can eat the things you have been denied. Will get the energy to do the things you have missed. Be able to think about something other than when you have to next have to go.

It takes so much courage to go to a place where they frankly poison you. It is what they do and even though you know it is to make you better it is an almost impossible thing to make yourself do. You are a star. You WILL make it through. Try to dig just a tiny bit deeper for this week .

My darling friend Jenny who was my chemo buddy used to say......when this is over we will be able to sing without feeling sick, dance without pooping our pants and life will be about us again and not about cancer.

She was right and it will be the same for you............ soon......very soon now.

stay strong

Grandma Nan
January 28th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Oh Marci- I think that Daisy has said it better than anyone. If you haven't been there it is hard to imagine but Daisy is being a great coach. But even if i haven't been there dear one you can yell at me as much as you want because this is about YOU and you will be back stronger than ever very soon. Hang in there sweetie.

Midge
January 28th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Oh Marci, don't apologize for venting. And I hope that writing all this down helps. It sounds like you have really hit the wall at this point but you must balance the dread with the knowledge that you have an end in sight. Please don't be afraid to talk frankly to your doctor. You must be partners with your treatment team with everyone on the same page. Be clear if you really don't want to stop and you want to push through this. I'm so sorry about the allergy to the medication adhesives. This is commoner than you think. I wish they could develop another product for people with the allergy. There are so many warm thoughts and prayers being directed to you as you face the next round of chemo.

bscuzz
January 28th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Hi Marci, good to see your post even with hurdles to go. Like others have said, Daisy has said it so completely and with great wisdom . . . and you are such an example of strength to us all. I'll look forward to the time we'll be celebrating you as "A Cancer Survivor"!!! God be with you just a little bit longer!

MaryD
January 28th, 2015, 06:32 PM
What Daisy the Divine said.

I had to really push myself to go to chemo no 5, and I only went to chemo no 6 because I looked and felt so revotling, I thought they would take one look at me and send me home (or admit me). They didn't.

Hang in there and {{{Hugs}}}

Sandy Navas
January 28th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Those of us who have not experienced the agony you are going through still have lots of feelings for you and what you are facing. It is great that our Divine Daisy can share her experience. We may not be there in person, Marci, but in spirit we'll be with you. Share all with your doctor and perhaps they can find another way to stick those patches on. I cannot imagine the pain - but I also react to that sticky stuff - and it sure isn't fun with the blisters and open wounds.

laura44
January 28th, 2015, 07:41 PM
I'm so sorry you have to go thru this. I have you in my prayers.
Vent anytime, we are all here for you.

Jean Sewing Machine
January 28th, 2015, 07:56 PM
May God be with you as you continue down this incredibly difficult road. Hang in there!

Monique
January 28th, 2015, 08:02 PM
I will echo what everyone else has said. Hang in there, it is almost over.

Angelia
January 28th, 2015, 08:05 PM
I'm thinking of you.

Simply Quilting
January 28th, 2015, 08:07 PM
{{{Marci}}} Hang in there. You have a huge group of quilters from all over the world rooting for you.

HandsOffItsMine
January 28th, 2015, 08:13 PM
(((Marci))),

Vent away, so many of us have been through the big C battle. I never thought that after surviving uterine cancer that I would be struck with BC. How's that possible?!? Yet, one goes through it the same way, fighting as hard as the first time. It sucks just as much, you have to dig deep just like Daisy said. You will make it through this next course, we're here to support you and root for you.

Some of the gals here were my cheerleaders, some had been down the same road and knew what it meant when I said I felt like a classic car being hoisted up into the air on a rack for my biopsy. I use humor to get me through, we all are different.

Please continue to keep us up to date, vent and please, please have a heart to heart with your doctor as other brands of patches that might have less of a reaction for your skin.

Know that you can PM me anytime or PM for my phone/email.

Huggers, Ruby

ozziepuppy
January 28th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Wow.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all.

And Daisy, THANK YOU. That is SO helpful!

Sigh. You are all awesome.

marytfnp
January 28th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Marci,
You are a champion, you are nearing the end and will heal! Listen to Daisy! Prayers and hugs

MBCA
January 29th, 2015, 01:00 AM
Marci, vent away, that is what we are here for. I know from all of your post of this journey that you will hang in there and celebrate when the last session is completed. As Daisy said you will then regain your strength and energy to take on the world again. God bless you our prayers are with you.

GuitarGramma
January 29th, 2015, 01:41 AM
Marci, my heart goes out to you. I want to share with you a possible, natural, wonderful way to stop the nausea.

Background: My daughter went through six sessions of very strong chemo and never once threw up. We have a wonderful man to thank, Lisle Babcock, who heard someone praying for my daughter at church. Lisle is a citrus grower who specializes in unusual varieties of citrus.

Lisle grows Palestine sweet limes which stop nausea. These limes have been used for generations in India to help with morning sickness, and more recently with the nausea from chemo. You mix the juice of one lime with an equal amount of 7-Up. My daughter says it's like a light switch, the nausea goes away completely.

(I once gave her the juice of only half a lime--I don't know why. Practically in tears, she said, "It's not working." I mixed another drink using a whole lime and her nausea went away. I share this because I think it's proof that it works.)

Here is an article about Lisle: Partnership keeping small producers growing - Parksville Qualicum News (http://www.pqbnews.com/business/140636023.html) . He provides the Palestine sweet limes FOR FREE to anyone undergoing chemo. It is a ministry for him, so please do not offer to pay him.

To: Lisle Babcock
Phone: (559) 333-8226
Fax: (559) 535-2907 -- You will need to fax your address to Lisle, so you may want to figure out how you can do that before you call him. If you don't have a fax machine, PM me and I'll fax for you.

Please call Lisle ASAP. He uses Fed Ex to ship the limes, so there is a good chance you'll have them before your next chemo session if you call right away.

JaniceR
January 29th, 2015, 04:28 AM
Marci, my heart was hurting for you as I read your post. I am so very sorry you are having all of these problems and are feeling so sick. My heart was also touched at Divine Daisy's post. She has been there and knows exactly what you are feeling. I know it must be so helpful to receive advice from someone who truly understands. I just read the post about the limes to help with the nausea and I very much hope you are able to try this and that it helps you!! May God continue to give you strength and healing.

Sheena
January 29th, 2015, 05:37 AM
Marci, I've not been where you are but it sounds like you're having a dreadful time right now. The limes sound good so I hope you get some ASAP. chin up, girl. You'll be back quilting soon. :)

ozziepuppy
January 29th, 2015, 03:41 PM
GuitarGramma / Toni,

I just talked with Lisle and he is sending the limes FedEx and he would not let me pay for them. They will arrive tomorrow. Thank you very much!

Although the link did not show up in the PM it did in your post. I am so happy to know that they are organic as well!

What a wonderful ministry and nice person. Thank you again for the information!

Divine Daisy
January 29th, 2015, 04:43 PM
That's ok Sweetheart! They don't call me the one tit wander for nothing yanno....................actually, that's one of the nicer things they call me!

pcbatiks
January 29th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Wow.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all.

And Daisy, THANK YOU. That is SO helpful!

Sigh. You are all awesome.

Marci.....my eyes filled with tears when I read this post from you. I can here the relief in your words. We have a wonderfully supportive group of friends on this forum....so glad Daisy, Toni, Ruby, Monique and others were able to give you the encouragement you needed. My heart goes out to you.....hang in there and know that you are in our daily prayers.

GuitarGramma
January 29th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Lisle Babcock is such a giving, faith-filled saint for our world! Marci, I'm so glad you were able to contact him and get the limes sent. I'm sorry that the link didn't work in my PM to you, but I'll try again here: Partnership keeping small producers growing - Parksville Qualicum News (http://www.pqbnews.com/business/140636023.html).

When your energy returns after this next chemo session, please let us know how things went.

Carrie J
January 29th, 2015, 10:21 PM
Marci, if you need to vent, then by all means do it, and never apologize, we're here for you! Divine Daisy put things very eloquently, and I'm sure that helped you very much! Prayers continuing for you! May God Bless you an yours.

quiltingtrish
January 30th, 2015, 01:49 AM
Marci - my prayers are still coming sweetie. Never heard of the lime and 7-up before, I will pray it helps you too. It sounds awful what you are going through - I'm so sorry to hear this.
Soft HUGS,

auntiemern
January 30th, 2015, 03:20 AM
Oh Marci, I feel so bad for all you are going through. Daisy said it best, and you couldn't ask for a better coach or buddy to get you through all of this. You are stronger than you think you are hun. You are almost at the end of this terrible chemo trip. Hang tough, and you will get through this.

Live to Quilt
January 30th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Marci you have my prayers, so does Daisy that she stays healthy. Her words were so comforting even to me, that you are almost at the end of this rough journey. Please keep posting when you can and we will all be hear for you

Jean Anne

sewbizzy
January 30th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Praying for you Marci...you deserve a break!

HandsOffItsMine
January 30th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Toni, I remember this and I don't know why I didn't think how this could help Matthew with his Crohn's treatment. His infusion every 6 to 8 weeks is a chemo base medication and he always deals with nausea for 2-3 days afterwards. Many times the Zofran doesn't help, he's been on the IV on and off for over 15 years.

Hopefully Lisle will allow Matt to purchase them from him before his next treatment. He also takes another medication during flare ups that makes him nauseas, having these on hand would be great.

Thank you for sharing this information again.

Huggers, The Schmers/Stegers

Over40momma
January 30th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Keeping prayers and good thoughts for you Marci. It's a wretched treatment to be sure, but I hope those limes help with the nausea.
Chemical sensivity actually increases with chemo treatment progression. Every person is different, so it reacts differently to a degree. I am sure the doctor can find alternative delivery methods or a way that minimizes the worst of the rashes.

Ruby, they should also be of help to Matthew because of the chemicals being used on him.

WendyI
January 30th, 2015, 06:19 PM
I am so sorry you are experiencing this! I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said having never been in your shoes. My heart goes out to you. Sending a big warm (((HUG))) your way. xox

ozziepuppy
January 30th, 2015, 09:42 PM
I saw my oncologist today and he is planning on extra IV sessions for administration of anti-nausea drugs since I am having problems with the patches and several of the pills. Chemo will be next Tuesday and he has scheduled IV sessions for Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and he said I could come in Monday or any time after that that I need to. However, the nurse said they are discontinuing Saturday infusions so I may need to go to the hospital instead. She said we could decide next Friday but then said that she is not working on Friday. Hmmm.

Maybe, maybe, maybe the Palestine limes will make the difference and I won't need to go in. My oncologist was very supportive of me trying them so I am really looking forward to seeing / tasting them! He wants to know if they help; he said that limes in general are somewhat helpful for nausea (I didn't know that either) but he had not heard of the Palestine lime.

Obviously we did decide to continue with the last two cycles. ("There's good news and there's bad news. The good news is that we are going to continue chemo and try to zap all the stray cancer cells. The bad news is that it is possible that your 23 side effects will continue for 6 or more weeks." Yes, 23. I made a list to go over them with the doctor and then decided to count them. Probably not that good of an idea.

Thank you for continuing support and prayers. :)

Angelia
January 30th, 2015, 11:30 PM
You will get through this--you can do it! I wish there was something I could do to help, but be assured my thoughts and best wishes are yours.

IBake
January 31st, 2015, 03:24 AM
I have a pain patch that I was using, until I developed a rash and an itch from it. My doctor told me to put it on a different spot and see if that helped. I found that if a moved the patch to another area the patch worked again without the rash and the itching. You might give it a try somewhere....on your thigh, your hip, wherever.

maxwellthecat
January 31st, 2015, 03:55 AM
I am so sorry that you have to go through that. Big bear hugs on there way. Also, vent away because that's one of the reasons why we are all here.

Divine Daisy
January 31st, 2015, 06:48 PM
I saw my oncologist today and he is planning on extra IV sessions for administration of anti-nausea drugs since I am having problems with the patches and several of the pills. Chemo will be next Tuesday and he has scheduled IV sessions for Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and he said I could come in Monday or any time after that that I need to. However, the nurse said they are discontinuing Saturday infusions so I may need to go to the hospital instead. She said we could decide next Friday but then said that she is not working on Friday. Hmmm.

Maybe, maybe, maybe the Palestine limes will make the difference and I won't need to go in. My oncologist was very supportive of me trying them so I am really looking forward to seeing / tasting them! He wants to know if they help; he said that limes in general are somewhat helpful for nausea (I didn't know that either) but he had not heard of the Palestine lime.

Obviously we did decide to continue with the last two cycles. ("There's good news and there's bad news. The good news is that we are going to continue chemo and try to zap all the stray cancer cells. The bad news is that it is possible that your 23 side effects will continue for 6 or more weeks." Yes, 23. I made a list to go over them with the doctor and then decided to count them. Probably not that good of an idea.

Thank you for continuing support and prayers. :)

Only 23! Come on Marci, you can do better than that!!

Do you glow in the dark yet? Does a bus swerve out of the way of your nausea omitting flumes? Can you make an entire room of teenage boys pass out when you pass wind?

No? Pah.....call those side effects!

(keep going pet lamb, you will get there)

Preeti
January 31st, 2015, 08:21 PM
You are in my thoughts. Sending good vibes, hugs and best wishes to you!!!

ozziepuppy
February 1st, 2015, 12:29 AM
IBake, good idea, but have moved them around already & have 5 rashes in various states of healing, unfortunately.

Daisy, interesting that you should post that tonight, LOL. I had just been saying that I should be grateful that there was one side effect that I had NOT gotten, and that was that my fingernails and toenails had not turned gray and fallen off! Some folks have had that happen!

MaryD
February 1st, 2015, 08:21 AM
I had just been saying that I should be grateful that there was one side effect that I had NOT gotten, and that was that my fingernails and toenails had not turned gray and fallen off! Some folks have had that happen!

Mine developed pink and white lines, but did not fall off.

I hope your limes are working for you.

ozziepuppy
February 1st, 2015, 05:14 PM
Mine developed pink and white lines, but did not fall off.

I hope your limes are working for you.

They have not arrived yet, but I am hoping they will arrive tomorrow (Monday) since chemo is Tuesday. I am excited to try them, especially since my oncologist was very supportive and interested when I saw him on Friday.

ilive2craft2
February 1st, 2015, 05:26 PM
Continued hugs and prayers from here, too!

ozziepuppy
February 2nd, 2015, 09:06 PM
The limes arrived today. :(

Chemo #5 is tomorrow.

Will update when I can.

Shirley
February 2nd, 2015, 09:26 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you will soon be feeling better.

MaryD
February 2nd, 2015, 09:28 PM
My fingers are crossed for a nausea-free chemo session. And then there is just one to go!!

MBCA
February 2nd, 2015, 10:45 PM
Glad to hear you received your limes today, praying that they take care of you tomorrow. Thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow. Hugs!

Shirley
February 3rd, 2015, 11:02 PM
Marci, so happy you got the limes. I hope they help you.