PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Hellos

Blondie
January 28th, 2015, 07:50 AM

It's Wednesday, Folksies!

The house is a bit chilly, I need to clean out some ashes and make a new fire in a few. I am sitting here, shivering, sipping coffee and thanking the good lord I am not in New England. I know there must be some happy kiddos up there with official snow days. And it seems that some folks were officially let off the hook to go to work as well. Betcha they were happier than the kids!

I finally finished piecing the quilt for DD's mother in law. I have already been hand quilting parts of it. You know me; I like to quilt in sections, join the units and then quilt over those joined sections. Works for me and my shoulders. On Sunday I went with DD to a Joann's in the next town over in Virginia. I had not been inside that store in I don't remember when. It is not my favorite place. It seems they are expanding their store. They will close in February and reopen in Sept. So, almost everything is rock bottom. Why are things always on sale when I don't have any money? lol. I did find some quilt backing for the MIL quilt for $3. a yard. Great haul. Not much left on the bolt, but I have enough to finish her quilt and a bit left for Coc's. Also, my favorite thrift iron bit the dust so I hit up the Goodwill in the same shopping area and found me a "new" one for three bucks. If it lasts as long as my last one, I will be a happy presser. I read all the reviews about irons. And the question and answers here about them as well. Why do I when I KNOW I will be forever happy with hand me downs? The only prerequisite I have is that they feel good in my hand and put out the heat.

Glad to read Barb's post last evening about our Jeff's surgery going well. Prayers on The Hill for both of them continue. For each one here, special prayers being said for good health and happy hearts.

Smile at least once today. Below is one to get you started.

Renate
January 28th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Reading your Wednesday Hellos dear Blondie, I thought by myself, I would be happy if I were snowed in, no Telefon is working, no possibility to work aso. . I would sit at the open fire place and sew. Nobody would disturb me, all Trouble would be unimportant for that day... what an idea.

But no circumstances like that actual and that means, I can visit the UFO evening at our LQS, happy to meet all my friends, sew and chat, having a glass of champagne, something delicious to eat ....

enjoy a beautiful day all together, big hugs from here

songbird857
January 28th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Hope everyone has a great day today!
I need to finish up the baby quilt for the shower on Saturday. I finished cutting out the flowers and leaves for the applique last night, and the geese rows are sewn, so I'm hoping to get the top completed today and quilt it tomorrow. I may chicken out and just do straight line quilting instead of FMQ. We'll see....
Hugs to all :)

Monique
January 28th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Good morning. I had a busy day yesterday. Tagged along with friends. Did a little grocery shopping. I did catch the chipmunk after all from my back room. It is a good thing to get it now before it has babies. I also had a surprise visit from my brother. He stayed and had supper with us. He also fixed my little drink cooler. It was making terrible noises. WD40 works so well.

I have been up for quite a while. Hubby thought it was because I am worried about the biopsy. I have been thinking of my friend Kathy. You see, she is terminal. I think I will bring the two quilt tops I made last week to show her, maybe lift her spirits up. What do you say to someone who is terminal? I have not been back to those rooms since my mother died in one in 2007. Well I will let you know how it went later.

Have a nice day everyone.

Ginny B
January 28th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Good morning and Happy Wednesday all. Of course, no work yesterday -- well, we didn't have to go to work but dh and I did a lot of work with that white stuff out there yesterday. Our neighbor and his sons using their shovels and snow blower did a lot of work out there but we still had the cars to work on and some of the sidewalk. We took our time and while we are a bit sore today, neither one of us felt like we over exerted ourselves. I slept real well last night though for sure.

Back to work today -- and it's already Wednesday so a short week. Have a great day everyone. Be careful out there.

Madeforyouinma11
January 28th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Good morning everyone..We survived the blizzard..I did not step foot outside at all yesterday. Hubby and SIL did all the the snowblowing and shoveling. DD helped with cleaninng the cars off.
Hubby was feeling better yeserday. His cold is just about gone. I am a day or two behind him so felt crappy all day yesterday. I had an entire day that I could have been in my sewing room and didn't go in until after dinner to make 2 hats for an order that hubby was delivering today. Well, I think I'm feeling better today so hopefully I will get something accomplished. No Julia today either because my daughter doesn't have school today. Poor thing just started back to college last week and has 2 days off this week...lol
Well hoping everyone is safe and warm and sending good thoughts and prayers out to everyone, especially Barb and Jeff.
Have a good day!

By the way Blondie...The Neverending Story was one of my kids favorite movies. We used to watch it alot when they were younger.

Mpyles
January 28th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Good morning! We are to have beautiful 60 degree weather here today...before turning colder again tomorrow. Getting ready to get myself off to work.

Monique, I am so sorry for your friend. I am sure she will love to see your quilt tops. I will say a prayer for you that you can be of comfort to her. I understand how hard it will be for you to go with so many sad memories there. She will appreciate seeing you.

Many prayers and hugs to all!

MayinJerset
January 28th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Good morning - DH cleared our driveway and cars yesterday and next door neighbor cleared our sidewalks, he was doing his sidewalks with his heavy duty blower and just continued onto ours - Thanks Mike. Haven't been out since Sat. so we'll get some things done this afternoon as roads seem clear to the highway. I have to stop at LQS to pick up pile of pillowcases dropped off there for my guild's ConKerr Cancer Pillowcase Project.

Before we go out I need to press side borders on queen quilt and add top and bottom ones and get the quilt ready to send to quilter. In the future I need to use Blondie's system of putting quilts together in sections as moving this quilt is very cumbersome and tiring since it's so big and heavy.

Monique, so sorry about your friend and think your visit with the quilts will make her happy.

Hope we continue to hear good news from Barb about Jeff.

Amy R
January 28th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Monique, I'm so sorry. I have no idea what the right words are to say, to your friend. My guess is that she will enjoy your company and your friendship. Your visits mean more than anything right now I'm sure. How heartbreaking :(

Nothing really to "write home about" today.

Prayers, hugs and good thoughts for everyone continue.

Grandma Nan
January 28th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Good Wednesday to all
Just had a Skype call with my DD and 2 GS's in Petawawa, Ontario. They live in a military base town and my sil is in the Air Force. They are about 3 hours away from us but its the closest posting they have had since they were married so it is kinda nice to have her and family closer to us. I think she lives relatively close to our Monique and definitely not far from Denis and his new quilt shop. I just have to find time to get there soon and introduce myself to Denis.

Its very sunny and bright here so I am guessing it is freeze your butt off cold outside. I haven't been out yet but sixty years of experience tell me that is what is happening on this January morning. Speaking of that, January is almost over and you know what that means? Ground Hog Day- have you done your preparations? Its a big holiday here. Trees, gifts, big family dinner.
(Just kidding) I don't want someone sending the men in white coats and butterfly nets to capture the old coot in Kingston.

Well I have another busy day ahead so not sure if I will get any quilting done today but tonight is the cousins night so I will definitely get some thread out and lots of laughs. Sometimes we don't do a lot of quilting but we always do a lot of laughing. Hope you all have a good day. Blessings to those who need it and healing prayers for those facing health challenges.

Have a smily day.
Nan

Iris Girl
January 28th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Morning all. This is my scheduled day off. Yesterday was off because of store opening late and I work morning shift. We were spared from the storm with a few inches only. Its very cold 18 degrees and wind is whipping today. Not much to report. Made a bag yesterday but its too small for me , but was a good test of the headliner from joanns (works same as soft and stable). Think I will do the Margo bag next. gota choose some fabric first. Hugs to all that need them and healing thoughts and wishes to all that are in need.

Sandy Navas
January 28th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Good morning.

Sending special vibes to Monique as she visits her friend Kathy. Share those special memories with her - that's about all you can do. Laugh a lot - it's healing. Maybe in this case more for you than for her, but I guarantee it will make her feel better.

Finished my bag yesterday (pictures in my album), also made a mug rug (not yet pictured), have another one ready to sandwich and bind. Al has one more seam to put in his quilt top and then he'll relocate to the quilting machine and maybe I can get my chair back. He's had stacks of labeled pieces all over the place. It has been very difficult to cut or press anything!! Too cute. Just a warning if you are/or live with a Class A personality. WHEW.

Nothing exciting happening around here so I'll do my usual warm wishes, happy thoughts, prayers to those in need (aren't we all?) and hope you whistle a happy tune!!

Midge
January 28th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Good morning quilty peeps! It's a brrr brrr brilliant day today in Ohio. Out with the dog in -7 deg wind chill, but the gorgeous blue sky makes it seem warmer. Came back to my second cuppa and showered/shampooed. When I came out of the bathroom I discovered that little rascal Tucker had torn open his very favorite plushie and poly fiberfill is everywhere. He really gave that poor frog a beatdown. Not sure I can repair that sadly deflated green frog again, even though I do have poly I can refill it with. Better get busy cleaning up because I'm meeting a friend for lunch and heading to the Art Museum after for a lovely afternoon.

ravelim
January 28th, 2015, 11:39 AM
I agree with Amy. I'm so sorry Monique.
I have nothing to write home about either.

So bye.Prayers for all.

Monique, I'm so sorry. I have no idea what the right words are to say, to your friend. My guess is that she will enjoy your company and your friendship. Your visits mean more than anything right now I'm sure. How heartbreaking :(

Nothing really to "write home about" today.

Prayers, hugs and good thoughts for everyone continue.

irishrn
January 28th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Morning all! Today is the last day in the sewing room for a while. Need to finish my rag quilt and put things away!
Went out yesterday and picked up the paint for the laundry room, kitchen and dining room. So I start getting the room cleaned out and prepped for painting! It will be several weeks of work as I also have to take down all the kitchen and laundry room cabinet doors for another painting. I dread working behind the washer and dryer but it has to be done!
So I hope all have a great day! Stay warm and dry!

RockinLou
January 28th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Hello Friends,

I've missed you this week, though you have all been in my thoughts! We had such a great weekend last weekend, out with friends Friday night (Romanian couple whose girls babysit for us!) and an Uzbek couple, we ate at a Georgian restaurant and had a wonderful time. Saturday morning while I was at a Korean family's apartment for my 3 year old's play date with his best buddy and an American family we know called and asked if we wanted to swing by for dinner. All our kids are the same ages, so why not?

What does all this have to do with me being MIA? As we were leaving the home of the American family DS coughed a cough that made DH and I say 'uh oh, he's going to be sick by morning' and sure enough, he was the first one to fall, we have been dominoes falling in line since then, him, then DD, then me, now DH, we have the FLU and it is misery. Yes, we had flu shots, they did us not an ounce of good.... So we've either been managing deliriously ill children or becoming deliriously ill ourselves. As teachers it is super-inconvenient to be sick. I plan on going in to work tomorrow, but I'm worried that I won't make it through the day!!

Anyway, I have been reading about you all but hadn't mustered up the energy to post anything. Tuesday was my daughters birthday, she turned 6 with absolutely zero fanfare. She did go to the doctor for antibiotics for an ear infection, but that's all she managed... I feel so bad for her, it should have been a special day and it wasn't. I hope I have the energy to make it up to her this weekend...

The only perk of the flu is that I managed to finish off some handwork on a counted cross stitch that I started in 2013, it was only outlining so it went quickly and didn't require too much precise counting, so I was able to manage it in my state of delirium!

I missed you all, I'm beat... going back to bed....

Navy Wife
January 28th, 2015, 12:22 PM
My week has not started off very good. My granddaughter's SIL lost her 5 month old to SIDS on Sunday. This morning our long time friend and former neighbor died. We lived next door in Memphis for 23 years. His wife died last year. I hope this is all the bad news this week. I dread Friday when tiny Grace will be born. They are hoping she will weigh at least 3 lbs.

I finished shopping for the baby quilt for great grandson. I decided I needed 2 more colors for the sailboats. Then found a bright print for the lining. I think I might make the sails for one of the boats out of it too.

Have a great day all. I'm so glad our quilters are all safe from the storm. Stay warm.

K. McEuen
January 28th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I'm just trying to figure out when Sandy made the trip to New Mexico to take a picture of my sewing room ...

WendyI
January 28th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Monique again I am so sorry to hear about your friend. You are sweet to visit her...I'm sure you will brighten her day. Was happy to hear Jeff's surgery went well.

I forced myself to get out of the house last night after dinner. Went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought myself a new lunch bag, picked up some prescriptions and then headed to the grocery store for a few plants to spruce up the house as I had to throw my poinsettias out. Nice to have some spring time plants in the house. Then spent the evening with Liam beside me reading while I watched a documentary on my iPad. Nothing too exciting but better than what I've been doing that's for sure.

Wishing everyone a great day. (((HUGS)))) xox

alliek
January 28th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Well, my DD is SNOWED in, in Rhode Island, they did get a bit of snow! My son on Long Island also has a bunch, but not so bad as he is in the western part of the island, he has to make it to work in the city. At least for all of them, the power stayed on. This was my prayer. You can weather the storm as long as you have some power or alternate heating source (which neither have). When we lived on Long Island and the south shore, kind of in the middle of the island, we had a wood burner that would heat the entire ranch. If we had put it in the basement with heat vents it would have done the whole house. I never worried about winter then, as I do now. That Vermont Casting stove was/is a gem. I don't know if the present owners of our old home still have it. As long as you maintain the safety and inspection you have a wonderful piece of equipment. I miss it. It looks like minimal damage from this massive storm, for that I am grateful. God Bless all.

Simply Quilting
January 28th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Good Afternoon. It is a nice day here so we are going to meet some friends in the park this afternoon. I did manage to get fabric cut out for some pillowcases yesterday. And after evening church tonight might get started on them. Other than that, there is nothing going on around here.

Prayers and hugs to those who need them.

Have a nice day everyone :)

HandsOffItsMine
January 28th, 2015, 03:04 PM
((Monique)), I'm sorry to hear that your dear friend is terminal and I know this hurts in your heart. Sharing time with her with your quilt tops, remembering things you have done together, sharing a laugh and a tear will be good for her and you. It can be uncomfortable at first but you can do it. Sadly I've walked that path before, my two friends spouses told me that they enjoyed those times we spent together, tears and all.

I will say a prayer that she will go with as little pain as possible and will as little fear as well. Strength to her and her family and friends.

Huggers, Ruby

Sandy Navas
January 28th, 2015, 04:15 PM
I'm just trying to figure out when Sandy made the trip to New Mexico to take a picture of my sewing room ...

Mike was being very nice to me . . .