PDA

View Full Version : MY TALE OF WOE - ROUND 2

bscuzz
January 27th, 2015, 10:47 PM
FIRST, let me thank each and every one here on the Forum who posted me well wishes. They sure lightened my spirits and made me feel better. To pick up from my recovery after eating the ill-fated Italian Canoli - and I must repeat it was so, so yummy, without regard for the aftermath. I knew the Drs put a lot of emphasis on eating more bland foods which is why I was embarrassed to return to ER when I relapsed from the Canoli.

However, moving on, as I got out of bed this morning I was feeling not at all well, shortness of breath, wheezing and my Mr said that my face was all swollen, my joints felt stiff, so this time he says we're calling the Dr. The Dr asked questions, decided that something was happening that needed to be looked into at the ER . . . . . . . so back we go to ER!!!
--------------------------------------------------------
As a preface to the latest ER array of treatment . . . . when I was undergoing the initial appendectomy the Dr wasn't happy that my blood pressure was low - - I had told him meds I had been taking, two of which he categorized as blood pressure meds - (one of the two was a combo which by chance also included a diuretic) - so he says NOT to take the BP meds till I visited with my family Dr.
---------------------------------------------------------
OK, with that in mind, now ER does another EKG, a chest X-ray and finally a dye infused CT Scan (to rule out a blood clot in the lung!!!!). All this scared the 'dickens' outta me as I'm wheezing and all but gasping for breath . . startin to think about things that need to be said, scaring my Mr! In the midst of this morbid mind frame, one of the young techs was asking me about the meds I had previously been taking, which brought up the Bisoprolol/HCTZ, which contained the diuretic. She then ponders about 5-6 days w/o the diuretic and fluid retention! Aha, me thinks she's on to something here - fluid retention, that reminds me my feet were swollen, couldn't get my shoes on, my hands are swollen and my 'now-zippered' tummy is as taut as a Patriots football before the 'deflation' - - matter-of-fact I needed their deflation. So when they come back with results of the CTScan and no blood clot in the lung, the Doc and I discuss the 'fluid retention' as a result of no diuretic - we come to a mutual agreement. Gave me a shot of Lasix (sp) for starters, then several fast trips to the 'john' to already see the changes in breathing and wheezing and hallelujah, praise the Lord, he sent me home!!

I apologize for the TMI of my bodily ails and functions, but somehow I feel it's OK to share. More than anything it feels so reassuring to be able to breathe and not make the weird wheezing noises. My final observation now that I've had a good look at the aftermath of the appendix, it kinda looks like one of the mini (correction . . maxi) zippered pouches everyone is making!! My Mr says it's a joy for him to see me on the computer! Mostly I think I'm back to me!

bubba
January 27th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Yikes!!! Do you get to celebrate w/another cannoli??

Hoping you continue to feel better!!

MRoy
January 27th, 2015, 10:54 PM
My goodness, you've had a time of it! I'm glad you're feeling better and breathing easier. Scares the dickens out of a person when you can't get your breath good...

laura44
January 27th, 2015, 11:04 PM
How scary! I'm so glad you and the doctors figured out the solution.
Please take care of yourself!

Sandy Navas
January 27th, 2015, 11:07 PM
So glad that you had a doctor who paid attention to what you felt was causing the problem. Sometimes those things slip by and can cause us so many problems.

Send all your cannoli this way, okay?

ilive2craft2
January 27th, 2015, 11:25 PM
What a time you have been through! Hoping you are feeling good enough to eat all of the cannoli you want very soon!

Sylvia H
January 27th, 2015, 11:28 PM
Glad to hear there was no blood clot and you know what caused the swelling and breathing problems. I hope this will be the last of your ER visits, too.

Carrie J
January 27th, 2015, 11:44 PM
Wow B, you've certainly been thru the medical wringer, but sounds as though you've rounded the corner. Glad that things have settled down and you're truly on the road to recovery! :D

RiverMomm
January 27th, 2015, 11:47 PM
So glad you are feeling better. How scary for all involved!

Ok, so now here is a rule for you: No more woes. You are not allowed to be sick again. Time to get back to computers and quilting. :)

bscuzz
January 27th, 2015, 11:50 PM
Thanks again folks for the well wishes, I needed them . . . . and bye,bye ER!

Just thought I'd share some Canoli with everyone . . . I can tell you it was the 'bigger' one I feasted on!!

99548 99547

I think it might have been May who gave the most 'mouth-watering' description of the canoli . . . I know it made me want to have another one!!! So enjoy and let me know if you like it as much as I do!!

Kgrammiecaz
January 27th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Wow, thats all crazy. So sorry you had to go through that. Very good to hear you are now really on the mend.

Mpyles
January 28th, 2015, 12:20 AM
Oh goodness!! Glad you are feeling better!!

Claire OneStitchAtATime
January 28th, 2015, 12:29 AM
Sheesh. No round 3 for you, my dear -- that is enough drama for now.

Simply Quilting
January 28th, 2015, 01:33 AM
That is the last trip to the ER you get for a long time. Hoping you will be back to yourself very soon.

JCY
January 28th, 2015, 01:38 AM
Not TMI for me. I'm a nurse. Hope you're well on the way to recovery now!

BellasQuilts
January 28th, 2015, 01:41 AM
Glad you are getting back on your feet! That is wonderful news. Yes, I like Cannoli too!

ozziepuppy
January 28th, 2015, 01:55 AM
So glad you are better!

Bjvarizona
January 28th, 2015, 02:44 AM
WOW, I miss a couple of days of the chit chat on the forum and you have all of this excitement without me! I had missed seeing your delightful observations but you didn't have to go to such extremes to have interesting tales to tell. Just updates on your sewing space would have been enough. So glad all is on the upswing, no more scares for us or your Mr. It wasn't your time and we on the forum are glad. You are a gift to us all!

stationarymom
January 28th, 2015, 02:48 AM
I'm glad to hear that they found your problem and that it was not anything difficult to fix.You need to be careful when dealing with Dr's ,some don't listen very well and it seems the more hands in the pot the more problems you can have.I hope everything goes smooth from here try to rest.

MayinJerset
January 28th, 2015, 03:14 AM
Hey B, Glad you are all checked out and feeling better.
Yes it was me who described a delicious cannoli but Remember no cannoli! Have a little instead!?

dlsnaples
January 28th, 2015, 03:23 AM
Oh my goodness! You have had enough drama for the entire year! Very happy to hear you are feeling better. I hope you continue to improve and can get back to your fabric therapy soon.

Amy R
January 28th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Oh my so glad everything came to pass. I hope this is it for ya for a while!! Phew!

Eriepatch
January 28th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Wow, I've never had a Canoli but it is now on my bucket list! :)

WendyI
January 28th, 2015, 02:49 PM
That sounded so scarey...so glad you are feeling better.

Now where am I gonna find cannoli's around here!?

bscuzz
January 28th, 2015, 06:47 PM
So glad you are better!

Thank you Marci . . and I am feeling better . and lucky! Ya never know what's in store for you out there? I'm looking forward to your post to tell us all you've finished the race . . . and soon thereafter to be celebrating being a "Cancer Survivor"! Sweet Lady it's oh so close, take baby steps, till one day you'll be striding full out! Lots of thoughts and prayers out here for you!

bscuzz
January 28th, 2015, 07:11 PM
WOW, I miss a couple of days of the chit chat on the forum and you have all of this excitement without me! I had missed seeing your delightful observations but you didn't have to go to such extremes to have interesting tales to tell. Just updates on your sewing space would have been enough. So glad all is on the upswing, no more scares for us or your Mr. It wasn't your time and we on the forum are glad. You are a gift to us all!

Thanks Bev, you remind me so of my childhood friend fm NC, and we always enjoy a little 'hubbub' as we call it . . . just prefer it not be scaring me silly gasping for breath. Thank the Good Lord the breathing is much more normal but I gotta tell ya, the 'wheezing' is starting to feel like my best friend, I speak, she speaks and on and on and on. Hopefully at the post op appt the Dr can find a way to 'shut her up'!!

Oh, and my poor neglected 'sewing space' and all those slacks I was in the midst of 'deboning' . . . the quilt for my Mr waiting to be pieced - means I better get on the stick! In my daddy's lingo, he'd say, "girl, ya gotta straighten up and fly right - 'n make hay while the sun shines!!!" This Forum has become my sanctuary. :icon_noob:

bscuzz
January 28th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Wow, I've never had a Canoli but it is now on my bucket list! :)

Eriepatch, I know your mid-West but I gotta believe there's a few 3rd or 4th generation Italians round your neck o the woods that make these divine, mouthwatering pastries, as May so teasingly described in great epicurean detail! Ya need to find an Italian or European bakery 'n mark this item off your 'bucket list' - course you'll go back again and again . . and again. There are many others, my Mr favors the SFOGLIATELLE (pronounced much different than it's spelled), it's shaped like a shell with somewhat different cream inside the philo dough. See here, I'm just making myself hungry!! Hey, I know, go online for a recipe . . . if you're a baker, ya just might make one. Our food market carries the crispy shells packaged . . not the best, but I'd eat them. You'd only need to make the cream filling.! I feel bad, everybody should enjoy a canoli!

bscuzz
January 28th, 2015, 07:54 PM
That sounded so scarey...so glad you are feeling better.

Now where am I gonna find cannoli's around here!?

Wendy, I'm thinking you can't be all that far away fm Toronto and my Mr tells me back during his working years he enjoyed an Italian meal in Toronto equal to any of his haunts around NYC . . 'n if they make good Italian food, for sure they make pastries. Google 'Italian Pastries' . . I bet you'd find 'em. I can't imagine anyone not getting to enjoy a good, creamy, luscious canoli!! You'd be so glad you did!!