PDA

View Full Version : BEEN MIA - MY TALE OF WOE!

bscuzz
January 26th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Haven't been on the Forum for 4 or 5 days because in the wee hours last Wed I began experiencing what I thought was a severe stomach ache . . excruciating pains continued all day Wed and thru the night. My Mr kept insisting I should go to the ER . . . and finally Thurs morning he hauled me into the car to our local ER. Initially they said either gall bladder, kidney stones or appendicitis. After a CT Scan they settled on appendicitis - that worthless, unnecessary , good for nothin' little organ that causes lots of trouble. After a couple of hours I was whisked into the OR and out that little 'buggar' came!

In my highly medicated, muddled state, I thought "good riddance"to this little unnecessary organ - now I can get back to normal!!

Boy was I wrong! 4 days in the Hospital, med ports up and down my right arm, bags of meds hanging from the tall sassy wheelie woman . . . she had to go with me everywhere I went. even to the john = geez! On top of that 3 days of liquid diet - yuk, yuk, yuk!

What my Mr. didn't tell me for a couple of days was the good doc told him had I waited another 12 hours it would have ruptured, then there'd be some disastrous problems, so I should consider myself lucky!

Finally on Sunday morn was given a normal diet with the promise of release if all went well - which it did.

Yesterday was finally released and back home celebrating with family on hand and flowers and, a special favorite of mine from my youngest DD, an Italian Canoli (the Trenton area has the yummiest Italian pastries!).

Why I didn't have the good sense NOT to eat that Canoli is not a mystery (I am foolish when it comes to a great Italian pastry) and this one was delicious!!! Unfortunately within an hour I felt like I was having another attack of appendicitis . . . horrible pain, throwing my guts up, including that Canoli - - gross, disgusting and nothing anyone should suffer.

My Mr. was ready to take me back to the ER, but I was embarrassed, so I tried to hobble around to walk it off, then lay in bed squirming in pain. Finally, as a last resort I got in the shower, stood with nice warm water for awhile. Then redressed, got back in bed still tossing in pain, but seems eventually I fell asleep and woke this morn feeling much more comfortable. What a relief!

So the moral of my story is, Forum Friends, especially those of my age, if you are faced with an appendectomy, take it very seriously, do what the Dr. says . . . . and most importantly don't go eaten' an Italian Canoli!!!

It's good to be back 'n see what's happening' with everyone here!

Midge
January 26th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Oh dear, B. So sorry to hear about your surgery and I sure hope that your recovery is uneventful from here on out.

bubba
January 26th, 2015, 09:17 PM
I hope you are feeling better soon! I will admit, the Italian cannoli part gave me the giggles....

bscuzz
January 26th, 2015, 09:25 PM
I hope you are feeling better soon! I will admit, the Italian cannoli part gave me the giggles....

Yep 'n I ate the WHOLE thang, it was sooo delicious. Next time I'll think twice . . . maybe??? My DD is feelin' awful knowing it wasn't a good idea . . . told her I loved every bite!

Sylvia H
January 26th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Oh B! You give lie to the adage that it is only men who refuse to seek medical care! But I am very happy that your MM got you to the ER in time, and that after those days in the hospital you are back home to tell us the tale. Now, take care about what you eat for awhile......there will always be another canoli!

Amy R
January 26th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Oh dear, so glad you are ok and on the mend.

alliek
January 26th, 2015, 10:14 PM
So happy your healing, the canoli part made me cringe. You must have felt just awful. Glad to see you can write about it with grace and humor! God Bless

laura44
January 26th, 2015, 10:15 PM
I would have ate it too! Hope you feel 100% soon!

Carrie J
January 26th, 2015, 10:18 PM
B, glad that all turned out well, ummm except for that canoli, Lordy! Hope you're 100% soon! :D

Sandy Navas
January 26th, 2015, 10:22 PM
I would have been a very bad recuperating patient, too. Give me some true cannoli and my mouth waters - no matter the consequences. No problem, that ugly worm was taken out mistakenly when I had mesenteric adenitis as a kid.

Glad that you have survived such a painful ordeal and more happy for you that you didn't wind up back in the hospital.

Take care and heal well!!

Hulamoon
January 26th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Your story was so en-grossing. lol Glad your feeling better!

Grandma Nan
January 26th, 2015, 11:07 PM
I definitely would have gone for the canolli. I would never think it would cause a problem. Hope it was worth the consequence but i would have been there with you.

Hope you feel better.

Mpyles
January 26th, 2015, 11:28 PM
Wow! What a story! I would have never associated the appendix with a stomach ache...I thought it was a much lower pain. Glad you are ok!!

songbird857
January 26th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Glad you're on the mend - I hope you feel 100% soon!! :)

rebeccas-sewing
January 26th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Just glad you're okay. What a story! I don't quite understand why eating that cannolli would give you so much pain, though. What does it have to do with removing the appendix?

Live to Quilt
January 26th, 2015, 11:41 PM
B Was wondering where you were. Was missing your great post. Hope you are on the mend finally. Have to admit have never had a true Italian cannoli.
Glad your able to post.

Jean Anne

Cathy F
January 27th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Sending well wishes for a zpeexy recovery.

quiltingtrish
January 27th, 2015, 12:05 AM
Glad you will be ok now that the little bugger is out. Take it easy while getting back into your routine of things.

stationarymom
January 27th, 2015, 02:43 AM
Glad you're better now,I hope you heal with no further problems.

Kgrammiecaz
January 27th, 2015, 02:48 AM
So good to hear you got through all that. I would of ate anything sweet too, especially italian. The appendix is a bad little bugger for sure. During the Hurricanes in 2004, or was it 2005, anyway 3 over a few days, while cleaning up the mess. We finally laid down to get some rest in the hot house, no electricity yet and I wak up with a pain in my stomach, thinking I just pulled a muscle. Took some extra ibuprofen, zero help. Finally woke up my teenage daughter and said I need to go to the hospital, it was ugly pain. Yup, surgery ordered and by the next afternoon headed home. Only about a week to heal and back to work. Cant ignore it, it does not like being ignored. I am so happy you got in there in time. But no wonder you were so sick. The. Your poor body just was not ready for that cannoli. Take care of yourself, take the time to heal.

MayinJerset
January 27th, 2015, 03:33 AM
Hey B, So glad you're on the mend but fully understand how a fresh cannoli with its crispy shell filled with a delicious sweet ricotta cheese filling can make us throw caution to the wind. Was the filling plain or with little mini chocolate chips in it?

Simply Quilting
January 27th, 2015, 05:38 AM
I'm glad that you are on the mend now. By the way, if anyone ever has to have their gallbladder taken out, NEVER eat a banana after you get out of the hospital. From past experience, I can tell you that you will think you are having another attack and get to go back to ER.

Iris Girl
January 27th, 2015, 05:47 AM
Glad everything worked out well and you are feeling better.

ozziepuppy
January 27th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Glad you are better and that you got to the doctor in time! Hope the rest of your healing is uneventful and that you can eat cannoli without repercussions soon!

Blondie
January 27th, 2015, 08:13 AM
So sorry to read this, B. Lucky for you that you got it out in time. Scarey bizness. I am squirming in my chair just reading it. How happy I am to know that you are much better and getting better by the day.
Blondie

irishrn
January 27th, 2015, 09:21 AM
B I am so sorry to hear about your appendix adventure! I know just how sick this can be for so many.
Glad to know its behind you and you are on the mend!
A good rule of thumb for the future: When returning from a hospital stay, anything that looks that yummy is definitely NOT your first food choice. We often advise. " start off slow or back you go! "
Take care and let your body tell you what you need!
HUGS!

HandsOffItsMine
January 27th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Dear B,

Thankfully Mr. dragged you by the hair (lol) and all ended up well.

I'm with you on eating the canolli, even if we know we're going to pay the price. I did the same one time after surgery but with my favorite Thai dish with steamed rice. The after visit was just as gross in the bathroom.

Glad you're feeling better today, rest, cruise the internet, play some games, pin some fun projects for when you're up to it. :)

Prayers and healing light heading your way.

Huggers, Ruby

Granny Judy
January 27th, 2015, 02:58 PM
I'm so glad to hear of your survival.... Not fun to go thru, but in a few days, you will be so much better. You may have to watch what you eat, but that will go away, also. Hugs and grateful you are back.

amartin24
January 27th, 2015, 03:05 PM
So glad you got to the ER in time! I had appendicitis when I was 5 months pregnant! Boy, that was an ordeal! Thank God, all turned out well though. When I get to heaven, I'm going to ask God what he intended the appendix for? Maybe Only to send us through a trial/tribulation!