PDA

View Full Version : My family's favorite cookies

bakermom
September 5th, 2011, 05:42 PM
KiltedQuilter shared her shortbread recipe so I thought i would share my family's favorites-one is from my mom's family(Hungarian) and the other is from my dad's(Scots).
Kifli
½ lb. butter
4 cups flour
5 egg yolks
8 oz. sour cream
1 pkg. yeast ( cake or reg.) +3-4 T. very warm water
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt

Dissolve yeast in warm water, set aside. Cut butter into dry ingredients. Beat egg yolks with sour cream until lemon-colored. Add yeast and sour cream mixture to dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Divide dough into three parts, form into balls. Roll out very thin on heavily sugared board. (Dough will be very elastic).Cut into small (2”) squares. Put filling (tiny amount, maybe ½ tsp.) in one corner and roll up. Bake at 350* for 15-20 min. until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet immediately. Makes about 12 doz. if you cut them small.

Nut Filling
1 cup ground nuts
5 T. milk
¼ cup sugar
Heat to boiling, let cool.

May also use apricot preserves, pineapple preserves, lekvar.
Note: It is best to bake these on parchment paper and save yourself a lot of clean-up.

Gramma’s Cutouts
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 cup sour milk
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. vanilla
5+ cups flour

Cream together shorting and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Stir until blended. Add sour milk and baking soda alternately, mixture will look curdled. Add flour 1 cup at a time until a soft dough is formed (may take more or less flour) that is not sticky. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Divide into 3-4 portions and roll ¼ in thick on floured board. Cut with cookie cutters, place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350* 8-10 min. until lightly browned.(with a medium size cutter you can easily get 8 doz.)

KiltedQuilter
September 6th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Mmmm Those sound GOOD!
I SO wish I had more time to do more baking :(
Mind you....the baby is actually asleep now so I could....nah! I have the washing and the ironing and the stitching up a hem on the OH trousers and tea drinking to do! DO you have ANY idea how nice it is to drink a HOT cup of tea instead of a cold one(because you were dealing with the little one) is? BLISS that's what! I actually have one right now! Woo! :D LOL

Blondie
September 6th, 2011, 06:21 AM
You Kifli recipe sounds like one that our family has enjoyed since forever! We just call them Hungarian cookies - Mom got the recipe from a Hungarian lady back in the 50's who was part of the "freedom fighters" refugees back then. Only thing we don't have in our recipe is the sour cream. I will try that next.
We only make these at the holiday time. Takes me all year to walk them off. Absolutely my favorite cookie of ALL time.

bakermom
September 7th, 2011, 01:31 PM
blondie, mom only made kifli at Christmas, maybe Easter. Now the cutouts would appear for other holidays if she had time. We would all sit around the kitchen table abd decorate them with dad.
As much as the cutout cookie makes, when everyone was home i would make 2-3 batches just so I could have them last till Christmas. I would make a big bowl of icing, set out colored sugar and sprinkles and everyone would decorate. It always amazed me what little mess the kids made while doing this. you would think "disaster". I hope it's a tradition they carry on with their children.

KiltedQuilter
September 7th, 2011, 02:12 PM
^I did something similar with my friend's kid and my older one and cupcakes, they were concentrating so hard they hardly made any mess at all! (which was just as well because I let them choose the colours for the icing. They chose DEEP red and a horrid DARK green!)

mlt150
September 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Sounds very special and I will add to my Christmas cookies. Thanks, Dianne

Beach Cottage Quilter
September 15th, 2011, 08:37 PM
This cookie receipe looks yummy! I'll give it a try, thanks for Sharing!

Happy Quilting,
Paula