PDA

View Full Version : Shortbread 1

KiltedQuilter
September 5th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Granny Anderson's Shortbread.

She uses the 6:4:2 ratio.

6oz plain flour(think that's "all purpose" to you guys)
4oz butter soft
2oz white caster sugar

Preheat oven 180c/ 350f/gas 4

Beat the butter with the sugar until combined and smooth.
Next add the flour, and work until a smooth dough.

*at this stage you can choose to roll it out(1cm) and use cutters or, press it into a tin(this is what Granny did). Her tin generally was a small one 8 inch I think. Then she would use a fork and make fork marks around the edge, Then using a knife cut into 1/2 then 1/4 and so on until you get the amount of "triangles"(called "petticoat tails" here) then prick it all over with fork to make little holes(so it doesn't rise too much).

Bake in the oven for about 15-20 mins if making shapes and putting them on a baking sheet.
If you use a tin then bake for almost double that time. Check after 20mins and if getting too brown put some aluminium foil over the top. Shortbread should be a pale golden colour.
If you cut shapes then leave on sheet for a min or so then transfer to rack to cool. In the tin, leave it in the tin to cool.

mithun86
September 5th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hey!
Your recipes sound delicious!! Thanks a lot for sharing with us :)

KiltedQuilter
September 5th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Great, thanks mithun glad you like the sound of them! If any of you have any culinary "gems" I would love to read them.

bakermom
September 5th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Thank you! as soon as things calm down around here I'll be trying both of these out! Gramma used cutters with hers.

csarina
September 5th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Thats the same recipe I use but I replace an oz of the flour with either cornflour (cornstartch in the US) or rice flour. Mark the same way, cook for around 45 minutes, then take it out of the tin sugar the top and put it back in the oven without the heat on for about 10 minutes for it to crisp up. Leave it until its cold before breaking it up, thats if you can wait that long.

For a special dessert I used to roll it out thinly and cut into a round, you can get 2 rounds out of the mixture, bake and then then put whipped cream mixed with cut up strawberries or whole raspberries on the first round, top with the second round then pile strawberries or rasps on the top and surround with piped cream.

I also have made small heart shapes using a cutter to go with cranachan............

janluna
September 5th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Excuse me for being ignorant but what is Castor Sugar? Sorry for not knowing.

KiltedQuilter
September 5th, 2011, 12:02 PM
^oops janluna it's superfine sugar. I think that's what you call it.

bec
September 5th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the recipe. I have a recipe that I make occasionally for my grown son who loves shortbread cookies. I'll try yours and see which ones he prefers. I'm always looking for better recipes. :)

ILove2quilt
July 2nd, 2012, 12:27 PM
Can I ask what caster sugar is?

Granny Anderson's Shortbread.

She uses the 6:4:2 ratio.

6oz plain flour(think that's "all purpose" to you guys)
4oz butter soft
2oz white caster sugar

Preheat oven 180c/ 350f/gas 4

Beat the butter with the sugar until combined and smooth.
Next add the flour, and work until a smooth dough.

*at this stage you can choose to roll it out(1cm) and use cutters or, press it into a tin(this is what Granny did). Her tin generally was a small one 8 inch I think. Then she would use a fork and make fork marks around the edge, Then using a knife cut into 1/2 then 1/4 and so on until you get the amount of "triangles"(called "petticoat tails" here) then prick it all over with fork to make little holes(so it doesn't rise too much).

Bake in the oven for about 15-20 mins if making shapes and putting them on a baking sheet.
If you use a tin then bake for almost double that time. Check after 20mins and if getting too brown put some aluminium foil over the top. Shortbread should be a pale golden colour.
If you cut shapes then leave on sheet for a min or so then transfer to rack to cool. In the tin, leave it in the tin to cool.

janluna
July 2nd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Ginger, she said it was superfine sugar. Hugs, Jan L.

Jenny Mulhall
July 2nd, 2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks Kilted Quilter - I absolutely ADORE petticoat tails and will try this out on Wednesday. Yummy! :)

ILove2quilt
July 9th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Sorry after I read it again I saw it. Thanks a bunch. Hugs to you to.

Ginger, she said it was superfine sugar. Hugs, Jan L.