PDA

View Full Version : Nifty Notions Rulers

Michael Holmes
September 3rd, 2011, 11:50 PM
Does anyone else use these? I'm been quilting for a little over a year and half and these were the rulers my LQS carried and I learned on them. I really love them, some of them are really specific but the Half Square Triangle, Quarter Square Triangle, Bias, and the bg strip ruler are my favorites.

I recently watched a flying geese tutorial with a ruler and couldn't BELIEVE how much you have to do!!! Cut this sewing this cut this again, square this up, cut this. With these rulers you can cut your pieces, sew them togeher, and BOOM you have a flying geese unit.

So anyway, anyone else out there use these? Luckily I learned on them and so I don't know any other way...but after seeing some of the specialty rulers out there, I'm kinda glad I found these first. :)

So what are your opinions?

HandsOffItsMine
September 4th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Can you post a photo with your entry. Would help the newbies. ; )

K. McEuen
September 4th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I don't know that I've ever seen those rulers before.

mrswindy4
September 4th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Are these the rulers you're referring to, Michael? http://www.kayeengland.com/rulers.aspx

I just got a flying geese ruler from Eleanor Burns and I love it!! I've tried making them your way, but they never came out right. By doing it Eleanor's way, you're getting 4 units each time to cut and sew. I find it just as quick, if not quicker than making them one at a time, where you still have to cut and sew.

sharonaust
September 4th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Hi I use rulers to make my flying geese too, I use two different companies... jsut sstarting to learn to use Marti Michell rulers... takes a bit of adjusting after using another brand, but I love using the Easy angle with the campanion angle ruler www.ezquilt.com. so much easier using rulers than trying to calculate and saves on so much wasted fabric...

quilter.martha
September 4th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hi Michael: I'd never heard of Nifty Notions rulers before, but in looking at their web site I find that I have similar rulers, just different brands. I've had a half square triangle ruler I bought ages and ages ago for a specific project and then never used again until just recently. I don't know why I haven't been using it more! Typically I do everything with my straight rulers and my square rulers, but I have started buying some more specific type rulers such as the Dresden ruler and, most recently, the EZ Star and Geese ruler. I thought about getting Eleanor Burns flying geese templates, but decided I wanted something that would offer more sizes than just her 2 per template set. To each their own, I guess!