PDA

View Full Version : Puppy is having collar anxiety

Hulamoon
January 17th, 2015, 06:05 PM
I bought him a new collar so I could put a tag on him. It's been three days and it's like his whole personality changed. I thought he would get over it. I took off a couch cushion cover to wash and while I was sleeping he tore the whole thing up trying to get it off. I have foam all over the place.

I bought a harness too but I'm afraid to freak him out by switching them out. I can't take him for walks because he is totally sulking and trying to get the collar off. It's lose so thightness isn't the problem.

:icon_sniff:

Amy R
January 17th, 2015, 06:33 PM
wow is he touchy! Is it a different material? One of my dogs had a reaction to leather from switching form regular material.

Hulamoon
January 17th, 2015, 06:40 PM
wow is he touchy! Is it a different material? One of my dogs had a reaction to leather from switching form regular material.

It's a soft nylon, but he keeps squirming all over the floor. I looked at the harness and I think it will be worse, it's a little heavy. I guess it's off to Amazon. I don't have anymore choices here.

pcbatiks
January 17th, 2015, 06:42 PM
One of dogs did the freaked out when we first introduced her to a collar. She would slump down on the floor like she was scared....then run a little ways and slump down again. We took it off of her for a little while and then put it back on. She did the same thing at first but then calmed down pretty quick one she forgot about it. Maybe you could distract her with a treat or a toy when you first put it on her.

Hulamoon
January 17th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Okay I took it off and what a change! I looked at the collar and there is an end cut part where it is heat sealed and really rough. That might be it. He was trying to bite when I went to pet him which he never did before. I'll give it another day before trying again.

Puppies are exhausting!

CarolynK
January 17th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Lorie, they are exhausting. When Haley was a pup (black lab) and I took her to obedience classes, I had to put a collar on her and she flailed around on the ground like a fish out of water! I was so embarrassed but everyone kind of understood. I took it off her and used another collar and she still wasn't happy, but she did get used to it. I think he'll eventually get used to it. Keep trying!

Carrie J
January 17th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Lorie, one reason why I never used any kind of collar/harness that wasn't leather on my pups. And my Boston's would just lay down and give me the "sad eye' all the time and belly crawl. My Shepherds were like Carolyn's Lab, roll, thrash, pitch a wall eyed fit! Don't give up, they will get used to it eventually. Positive reinforcement and using the word "Settle" eventually sinks in, and they learn the word really quickly as well. Very, very useful. LOL, they really are like little kids when first training.

Genny
January 17th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I bought him a new collar so I could put a tag on him. It's been three days and it's like his whole personality changed. I thought he would get over it. I took off a couch cushion cover to wash and while I was sleeping he tore the whole thing up trying to get it off. I have foam all over the place.

I bought a harness too but I'm afraid to freak him out by switching them out. I can't take him for walks because he is totally sulking and trying to get the collar off. It's lose so thightness isn't the problem.

:icon_sniff:

Lori did you post a pic of your new puppy? If you did I must have missed it.

HandsOffItsMine
January 18th, 2015, 11:52 AM
You do need to check all collars and harnesses for rough seams, threads ends, etc. - I had to return one of Chloe's because the way they had done the double end seam sewing on the leather by the D ring was rough. Her skin is so pink, you could see that it was rubbing against it, even the edge of the leather. I went with soft print cloth instead, she is only a 6 pound Maltese though at 1.5 years old. We rescued her two months ago.

I love Pinkaholic's harnesses - they are easy to put on, velcro tabs. Chloe pulls as she wants to go after the squirrels and the rabbits that are always, always in the yard, along our walks. You can find them on Amazon.

Do make sure you measure your pups chest for the fit. ;)

New York Sue
January 18th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I had an awful night at work recently. My boob itched tremendously, maybe TMI, but it was a pesky dog hair imbedded in my 'push me UP' padded bra that drove me CRAZY! Sounds like you've work through the problem though, chica! ;)
Did I miss the new puppy pic??
I LOVE a new puppy!...

RockinLou
January 18th, 2015, 01:00 PM
My puppy, a Shiz-tsu was allergic to the nylon collars and fleece blankets... He's so high maintenance with skin irritations that we had to leave him with my MIL when we moved here, it really could be the material. If it is an entirely new concept, I would introduce it in small chunks of time to start.

Hulamoon
January 18th, 2015, 05:46 PM
My puppy, a Shiz-tsu was allergic to the nylon collars and fleece blankets... He's so high maintenance with skin irritations that we had to leave him with my MIL when we moved here, it really could be the material. If it is an entirely new concept, I would introduce it in small chunks of time to start.

That's interesting. I discovered the high maintenance. lol I'm liking his hair shorter because he just get's dirty so fast with the longer hair. I need to get it on him soon becuase he need a cut and a snip . lol

K. McEuen
January 18th, 2015, 06:13 PM
You might want to try a rolled collar. The flat ones sometimes tend to snag and pull the hair on a dog with a longer coat. I always used one of these when I had my schnauzer.

Rolled Dog Collar - Dog Collars Boutique (http://www.dogcollarsboutique.com/Rolled-p-1-c-91.html)

quiltsRfun
January 18th, 2015, 06:53 PM
I looked at the collar and there is an end cut part where it is heat sealed and really rough. That might be it.
That could be your problem. It would be like those scratchy labels in your clothes. They drive me crazy! I'd try a different collar, something softer with no scratchy edges.