PDA

View Full Version : Fusible Interfacing?

quiltingtrish
December 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Happy Dec. 30th!

Anyone use the fusible interfacing to do applique? I have used the one-sided fusible to keep my fabric from stretching and then have hand-sewn down the piece to a background fabric.

My question is when using the double-sided fusible - well, just how the heck do you use that? I mean, I know that it will stick to the back of the applique piece and then the applique will stick to the background piece - but what are the steps in doing that? If I fuse the double sided fusible to the applique piece, won't the applique stick to the ironing board? I was hoping to be able to fuse the applique piece to the background piece to hold it there while I am hand sewing it down and not have to use pins to hold it there.

Maybe the double-faced fusible has a piece of paper on it that you peel off just before you press it down to the background fabric and then it wouldn't stick to the ironing board? Maybe I have to check that out when I go to the store.

Just wondering how you gals do it? I know there are some appliquers out there.

Thanks.

quilting trish

emailjeanie
December 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Happy Dec. 30th!
Maybe the double-faced fusible has a piece of paper on it that you peel off just before you press it down to the background fabric and then it wouldn't stick to the ironing board? Maybe I have to check that out when I go to the store.

I've done two small applique projects and the double-sided stuff does have paper. Make sure it's the appropriate weight for your use and is sewable (if you want to stitch the outline). Just follow the package directions and have fun. :D

Oh, and post a pic of what you did. I'd lobe to see it! I'm a beginner and seeing other people's work is a great teaching tool for me.

Happy new year!
Jeanie

quiltingtrish
December 30th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks Jeanie! Maybe I'll pick some up today while I'm out. Certainly don't want to run out of projects when it starts snowing tomorrow - :lol: (UFO Queen here.)

I have to play with the photo thing cause I have tried before but think I need to resize them first and haven't had a chance to sit and figure that out yet - maybe I'll get a chance over the weekend.

Hugs,
quilting trish

Vicki
December 31st, 2009, 09:57 AM
I used to do a lot of machine applique and my favorite fusible is Wonder Under because it doesn't gum up the needle. Here's my process if you are using regular quilting weight fabrics:

~Cut a piece of the applique fabric slightly larger than what you will need.
~Apply lightweight interfacing to the back. This keeps the background fabric from bleeding through.
~Apply your fusible (Wonder Under in my case) to the back of your interfaced piece.
~Cut the desired shape for the applique piece.
~Remove the backing and fuse to the foundation fabric.
~Stitch down along the edges with your choice of stitches. I'm a satin stitch girl:)

This is cotton applique on a t-shirt:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/meandmygirlsboutique/play5.jpg

Cotton on cotton on a t-shirt:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/meandmygirlsboutique/pen2a.jpg

I hope this helps a little:)

emailjeanie
December 31st, 2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the tip on adding the interfacing to keep the background from showing through... never would have thunk about that...

quiltingtrish
January 1st, 2010, 01:36 AM
Thanks you guys!
I did buy some double-sided wonder-under Wednesday at Joann's. She said I was lucky to get any cause they sell out very fast with that stuff. I got 2 - 1 yard pieces. And I have some interfacing left over from another project. So, when I get the time, I'm good to go.

Thanks again and also for the photos.

Hugs,
quilting trish