PDA

View Full Version : Tuesdays ain't bad . . .

Blondie
August 30th, 2011, 06:59 AM

Happy Tuesday Ladies

I perservered and finally finished the big quilt yesterday. The next one will be completed soon. I also was able to get a little bit of work done on other stuff - why I even made dinner!

It fits the top of my queen bed nicely although I didn't make it for me. Those are my sister (Cat) and DD, (Sarah) holding it up. Can you tell my daughter is the shorter one? LOL. I believe my middle son will be thrilled with this. And it is made to LAST.

Now that this one is done, and the other mostly done just need to finish the binding, I have already set my sights on another scrappy one. The next one will be all shirt scraps. I really should do something with all my UFO's but that requires too much thinking. And planning. I am really a fly by the seat of my britches kinda gal.

Off to see how much coffee is left.

Keep dry, Nancy. I feel so badly for everyone that has been left with the aftermath of Irene.

RFREE
August 30th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Good morning Blondie and all my other quilting buddies. Blondie your quilt is beautiful. Your son will be thrilled with it. I am very hurt this morning.MY help at work started yesterday. New nurse barely out of nursing school( no experience whatsoever) and was hired in making almost $3.00 more than i make. I have been a nurse for 17 years and have been with the school system for almost 5 years now.
I honestly think somebody screwed up not intentional but you couldn't have spit in my face and got a worse reaction when i heard this.My feelings are hurt and I am insulted. I am talking to the principal when I get to work and see who I have to talk to to get this straightened out.I am just sick.Hopefully they will see they have messed up.Somebody needs to look at the pay scale and fix it on my end.I work to hard to let this go.Of all the people in the building the principal knows just how hard I work hopefully he can help me. We will see.
You guys have a great day.

quiltingtrish
August 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Beautiful quilt, Blondie - your son will love it!!!!
(If he doesn't, or even just squicnh just once - send it my way where it would get lots of lovins'.)

That is a kick in the pants, Rhonda and I hope you get someone to listen. 17 years and you know those kids like the back of your hand at that - truly, my prayers are with you.

Well, have to scoot. The kiddos are waiting here too. I was so tired last night, after a quick visit with a friend down the street, I promptly came home and dozed in the chair until 1 AM and then crawled into bed. So, I did get lots of sleep hours in. They plumb wear me out. Wasn't a normal day as they threw me in with a one-on-one kid. The aide that is supposed to be with him just called off for the first 6 weeks of school. Well, we'll see how this pans out. The kid can be violent - was even thrown out of school last year for it, so I keep my distance. I am hoping they are looking into a sub like they are supposed to do in this situation - plus, my classes I'm responsible for get tossed for now. That's not right either. Well - anyways - off to see what the day holds. I am grateful I have a job.
I will SMILE today - may as well make the best of it!
Hugs,

pisceslibra
August 30th, 2011, 08:43 AM
well i have been offline line for a few day hurt my wrist so i couldnt type or do much at all but feels much better today i am really thinking about getting a part time job so i can buy more fabric lol but i dont know if my husband can handle the kids by himself because i know i am ready to pull my hair out some day but i dont want to miss out on anything with either so i dont know but it something what i been thinking about

Shirley
August 30th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Blondiie, Your quilt is beautiful!!!! Great job and I bet your son will just love it! What is the pattern?
Rhonda, so sorry to hear about your problem at the school, I sure hope they will make it right and give you what you deserve. It sure isn't right and it happens alot.
Today is my day to volunteer at the hospital, so off I go,
Have a great day ladies!

Blondie
August 30th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Good morning Blondie and all my other quilting buddies. Blondie your quilt is beautiful. Your son will be thrilled with it. I am very hurt this morning.MY help at work started yesterday. New nurse barely out of nursing school( no experience whatsoever) and was hired in making almost $3.00 more than i make. I have been a nurse for 17 years and have been with the school system for almost 5 years now.
I honestly think somebody screwed up not intentional but you couldn't have spit in my face and got a worse reaction when i heard this.My feelings are hurt and I am insulted. I am talking to the principal when I get to work and see who I have to talk to to get this straightened out.I am just sick.Hopefully they will see they have messed up.Somebody needs to look at the pay scale and fix it on my end.I work to hard to let this go.Of all the people in the building the principal knows just how hard I work hopefully he can help me. We will see.
You guys have a great day.

Rhonda, that absolutely must be a clerical error! My heart sank when I read this. Knowing what a hard worker you are and the faithful heart you possess, I cannot believe anyone would/could slight intentionally. Hoping to hear later that this has been resolved.

Pisceslibra, good to see you back with us. You need to keep that wrist flexible for sewing for sure! I think all men should be able to handle their own children. Period.

Trish, I thought of you so much yesterday, wondering how the first day went. Makes me wonder just how many schools offer this type of special treatment, education for their children? You're a better trooper than I would be. How is hubs?

Shirley, the quilt pattern is called Pineapple Blossom. I was inspired by the Block Lotto (http://blocklotto.blogspot.com/)block swap I did several months ago. It is a Bonnie Hunter (http://quiltville.com/pineappleblossom.shtml)Pattern.

ElaineP
August 30th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Love your quilt and always look forward to your daily posts! Good luck with the next project, I'm sure the UFOs can wait :)
Elaine

quilter.martha
August 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Good morning! It is so good to be back on the forum! Gosh, we were without power for 36 hours from Irene but it felt like a lifetime! I think I have an addiction to the internet. Couldn't do any sewing either and boy was that hard! Goes to show you how much we take for granted having something like electricity. I'm very thankful to have it back!!! So I have some catching up to do here. I'm gonna try to take it slow as I have lots of other things to catch up on as well.

Rhonda, so sorry about your job situation. We'll pray you have it all straightened out real soon.

Blondie, LOVE the quilt! If you son doesn't want it, send it here!

Bubby
August 30th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Blondie...What a gorgeous quilt...real purdy! Did you machine or hand piece it? Onward to your next creative challenge. Rhonda...Your situation is a real kicker. I'm sure they will see the error of their ways and raise your pay accordingly....I'm praying on this for you....let us know how it turns out.

We got some sad news from our vet yesterday...Molly's body has built up a resistance to insulin and there is little that can be done. So we're doing our best to make her comfortable as long as she isn't suffering. Jeff and I have no children, so our little black scotty is like our baby. My big hunk of a hubby's eyes fill with tears just as the thought of losing Molly.

We saw so much footage on Vermont's damage from Irene on CNN last night. Some of the old bridges were there one second and gone the next. Very tragic. I pray for everyone having to deal with the aftermath, which will take months if not years to clean up. We are still cleaning up from our tornado in 2009.

I wish all of my quilty friends a good Tuesday...it's supposed to be really hot here the rest of the week. Hugs, Barb

stitching woman
August 30th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Blondie. I just had to jump in here and tell you how beauitful your quilt is love the colors.

Bernice

oldgurl4
August 30th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Morning!!!...
Luv the Quilt ~Blondie~ Came out GORGEOUS!
Yeaahhh...They do look like little Pineapples...Thanks for the block info.

~Rhonda~ Wow!... sorry you are going thru this... Hope it gets fixed. Hang in THERE! Don't let this discourage You.

~Trish~ -- Glad you had a good Day.... Sorry your Body got use to that Looonnnggg VACACATION...LOL
You'll be Back! in No Time!..... Ohhh! Don't forget your Gloves todayyy...your RED gloves!!...LOL

~Martha~ Welcome Back!..... I was just thinking about the movie "Fiddler on the Roof" when the son inlaw (Tzeitel husband who is a young Jewish Tailor) gets a Brand New Top of the Line model sewing Machine for his Home business(tailoring). It turned out to be a Hand Crancked one.... Boyyy!!,,, was everyone in the Neighborhood excited to see this New Invention!...LOL
Woww.. How much we have Evolved!! ...LOL

~PiscesLibra~ Glad U-R feeling Better......Welcome Back!

Have a Good Day Everyone

LynneLeavell
August 30th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Blondie your quilt looks wonderful.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

bec
August 30th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Blondie your quilt is fantastic. I love the colors. The recipient is very lucky.

Rhonda, I feel so bad for you. I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Trish, I hope they find a sub so you can get back to your classes. Hang in there and be careful.

Today I'm going to do some errands...have to do that sometimes though I'd just as soon stay home. Nothing else much going on here, but I love hearing about everyone else's days.

K. McEuen
August 30th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Great job on the quilt, Blondie. Looks like it's ready to be snuggled into.

Sandy Navas
August 30th, 2011, 12:16 PM
well i have been offline line for a few day hurt my wrist so i couldnt type or do much at all but feels much better today i am really thinking about getting a part time job so i can buy more fabric lol but i dont know if my husband can handle the kids by himself because i know i am ready to pull my hair out some day but i dont want to miss out on anything with either so i dont know but it something what i been thinking about

Get a job in a fabric store . . . heavenly. You won't get a paycheck, but look at all the benies.

debinmalaga
August 30th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Blondie, your son's quilt is a BEAUTY. Wonderful job! Looks like a lot of love and time went into it.

Rhonda, good luck with getting your pay situation straightened out! Thinking of you.

Barb, such sad news about your little Molly. Hugs to you.

Martha, welcome back after your time without power. What a storm, eh? We had one fatality in our county, a young (20 years old) woman who decided to try to get to her boyfriend's house during the worse of it. She drowned in her car on a downtown street - really sad.

It's a stunner of a day here in NJ, bright sunshine and cool temps, only going to get to 81 today. Supposed to have a week of this glorious weather and I'm so glad, even if I'm stuck inside at work till six.

Warmest thoughts to all my quilting buddies, and comfort to those in need of it.

Sandy Navas
August 30th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Echoing everyones good wishes, glad tidings, happy thoughts, welcomes, prayers, and just overall HELLO THEREs.

Have a note to write to a friend here and then I'm off to the sewing room. I'm thinking of telling Al that I'm going on a three day retreat and that I'll see him for the weekend . . .

Hugs, prayers, health, wealth, and happiness to everyone~!!

janluna
August 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Good Morning Ladies, Blondie, your quilt is scrumptious! Love, Love, love it! You do such good work.
Rhonda, I will say prayers for you. That is so not right! Why do they do that to people. You would think they would reward the nurses that have dedicated their lives to the same place for 17 years. Not to mention all the patients that you have served and/or saved! Then they wonder why nurses get burned out and leave the profession.
Trish, the same goes for you. If this kid is violent he doesn't belong in school in the first place.
I'll pray for protection for you so he doesn't hurt you. And for energy! lol
Bec has your daughter heard any good news about the job? Still praying.
Emily's blood tests came back with a rise of her levels across the board. Thank you Lord! And thank you all for your prayers. It was only a couple of points, but at least they are headed in the right direction. Please keep praying as she is still too low but at least it's going up! I don't know if she will start going to school or not. They haven't made up their minds about that yet.
Her sister, Sarah will be celebrating her 5th birthday on the 5th of September. She wants to go to Chucky Cheeses and Emily can't go there so I will spend the day with her. We can work on her doll quilts she is making. I bought her a sewing machine last year. She is really good at it.
She has so much talent! All three of the girls do. They sing like angels, and in harmony. They have sung in church and at our WMCA's talent show. They always get ovations when they do.
Especially Sarah because she is so young. Emily does the violin and key board, Laura the drums and Sarah says she hasn't decided yet what she wants to play. Em also plays guitar. We bought her one for her birthday one year and she does well with it but I think its time we upgrade it for her. Her birthday is in January.
Have a great day everyone! Prayers to those who need them. And for those who are flooded in NY and Vermont. My son Joe, is on call to be deployed to help all the victims. They just haven't decided to what state or county here in NY. He is a firefighter and paramedic. Emily's Dad.
Love and Hugs, Jan L.

patticakes
August 30th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Blondie - nice to see a full pic of the beauty! Your son is gonna love it. Has LL comes to terms with not keeping it?
Bubby - Sorry about your Molly. Pets are like our children and the loss of one is dramatic.
Rhonda - Gosh that must have been a hurtful shock! One of my best employees was also the lowest paid because she was hired before the freeze on pay raises was put into effect, plus we were asked/told we had to take a pay cut. After that I made sure to hire people at higher wages because I knew they were never going to get a raise. When I worked in banking we joked how we never got paid what we thought we were worth unless we went somewhere else. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" as they say, and you have nothing to lose by talking to them,good luck!
Jan - I am so happy to hear good news about your Emily! Tell her to keep up that good work! Your babies sound so talented!! It must make you so proud to hear them perform.
Sorry to anyone I missed. Once I read down and start typing I am in short term memory loss!
I'm sorting through important paperwork hoping to get rid of some that is really not so important. Trying to get rid of some clutter before we settle in for the fall.
Hope you all have a love-filled day!

quilter.martha
August 30th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Jan, great news on Emily! We'll keep praying those numbers continue to rise.

mamaquilt
August 30th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Happy Tuesday Ladies

I perservered and finally finished the big quilt yesterday. The next one will be completed soon. I also was able to get a little bit of work done on other stuff - why I even made dinner!

It fits the top of my queen bed nicely although I didn't make it for me. Those are my sister (Cat) and DD, (Sarah) holding it up. Can you tell my daughter is the shorter one? LOL. I believe my middle son will be thrilled with this. And it is made to LAST.

Now that this one is done, and the other mostly done just need to finish the binding, I have already set my sights on another scrappy one. The next one will be all shirt scraps. I really should do something with all my UFO's but that requires too much thinking. And planning. I am really a fly by the seat of my britches kinda gal.

Off to see how much coffee is left.

Keep dry, Nancy. I feel so badly for everyone that has been left with the aftermath of Irene.

Sure love that quilt. Did you use all scraps? I still have so much scrap fabric. Might be an idea to use them up this way. Did you have a pattern?

mamaquilt
August 30th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Sorry Blondie, I should've read the whole thread. I could've known it's a Bonnie Hunter quilt. Anyway, just love it!! Thanks for sharing

Blondie
August 30th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Hi Ladies

Thanks for the comments/compliments on the quilt. And yes, Patti, hubs says he has a few months to admire it before Christmas giving. He does want another quilt just for him. Sigh. I made him that HUGE string one last year.

Barb, I machine pieced the blocks and then did the quilting by hand. I used #8 Perl cotton embroidery thread. Thicker stitches and a bit heavier than regular embroidery floss. I am grooving on the variety of colors I used on the blocks. I am sorry to read that Molly isn't responding. My big arms are around you and your sweet man. You know I know how you are feeling.

Jan, I am sitting here rejoicing over the news of Em's good reports. Thank you for the updates!

I am hoping to read that Rhonda came home with good news and that our Trish is going to have someone rub her feet and head. Those two gals have all my respect for dealing with not only the students but with the parents. Good grief, some parents are worse by far than the children. One can understand how some children arrive with discipline and or/health issues.

Michele, you know how crazy I am over Bonnie Hunter's stuff. Suits me to a "T". There are never enough scraps.! Think of all the pincushions, sachets, pillows, crazy quilts you can make with them!
Okies, folksies, off to finish dinner. Just plain old hot dogs - but with homemade chili and slaw!

Loonwatcher
August 30th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Blondie - love your quilt. It's beautiful.

Rhonda - I can't believe it. It's got to be a mistake. Hopefully they will correct it in your favor ASAP.

Trish - hope everything works out for you at work too.

I usually get to Blondie's string much earlier in the day but I'm so busy at work I don't know which way is up. Both bosses have been out for 2 days, partly dealing with their flooded properties and partly with work and personal stuff. We also had one job site at the state office complex and that whole complex got flooded. But everyone is working very hard, helping each other. Many of the road are now opening up (at least one lane) except for one town where the bridges at both ends are out. It is awesome to see how everyone is coming together. Renews ones faith in God and your fellow man/woman. We will come through this and be stronger for it. School was supposed to open today but it has been delayed a week except for that one town that can't set an open date yet.

"I love Vermont because of her hills and valleys, her scenery and invigorating climate, but most of all because of her indomitable people. They are a race of pioneers who have almost beggared themselves to serve others. If the spirit of liberty should vanish in other parts of the union and support of our institutions should languish, it could all be replenished from the generous store held by the people of this brave little state of Vermont." -Calvin Coolidge (former president of the USA from Vermont) after the floods in VT in 1927

I'm someone has rightly said the same about all the other states that were stricken by Irene. I'm proud to be an American.