PDA

View Full Version : So, who got fabric for Christmas??

debinmalaga
December 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM
My sweetie, Mike, made me one of his special "gift coupons". I've gotten them to garden centers for Mother's Day and to other stores at other times. This time it was to the fabric store of my choice, and if I chose a local store, he'd even come with me and browse for fabric. A gift indeed :-). I'm sure he was pleased when I headed right for my favorite internet site.

I have two orders on their way already :-) and enough fabric "money" left for at least two more. It was a frugal Christmas for us, and you have to admit, your money goes a long way with the daily deals and excellent shipping.

I'm trying to use two "True Blue" charm packs to make a throw. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards a 4-patch, or something equally non-stressful. I have jelly rolls in cream and black, also a "Flag Day Farm" jelly roll.

I'd love to hear about others who got fabric. I enjoyed Quilt Vader's gift of 2 yards of fabric picked out by a grandson.

toggpine
December 29th, 2009, 03:04 AM
It appears that my sister and I each fed the other's obsession. I knew she was wanting a set of beautiful wooden interchangeable knitting needles, so I got her those and a knitting pattern book that I thought was too cute to pass up. (She has made some adorable soft toys for my daughter, so I thought some more ideas couldn't hurt!) I also found some "refurbished" yarn at our local farmers market. The woman buys natural fiber garments from thrift stores and garage sales, washes them, and then unravels the knitting or crocheting. She then winds up the yarn into balls for sale. I thought it was a fun way to knit "green". The price was really reasonable too for natural fibers.

In return Sis bought me a few fun quilting notions. I am now the proud new owner of a Clover mini iron, a rotating cutting mat, and a cone thread holder for my sewing machine. I did not get actual fabric, but I did get a gift card for the fabric store. I am going to see how much of a dent I can put into my stash this year, so that card may be able to last quite a long time! I think that I will have to feed my fabric addiction by continuing to watch the daily deals and snapping up the ones that I just can't live without!

stitchywoman
December 29th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I did not get fabric this year! Jealous! But I'm excited for you guys!

I'm trying to use two "True Blue" charm packs to make a throw. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards a 4-patch, or something equally non-stressful. I have jelly rolls in cream and black, also a "Flag Day Farm" jelly roll.

Deb I think a 4 patch sounds great especially when going for low stress! I'm not sure how the measurements come out but you could try mixing it up a little doing half 4 patch and half hourglass style. I know the girls have (or maybe had) a beautiful large quilt made like that with a scallop or wave style border. I don't remember exactly, but it was pretty!

quiltingtrish
December 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM
One of my sons gave me a gift card to a local fabric store which I can double the value with their weekly coupons. The other son gave me a pair of laser-guided scissors which I haven't tried yet - they look interesting though.
Sure could have used some fabric though! haha!
I also got a week off of school to get some projects done - yeah!

Hugs,
quilting trish

emailjeanie
December 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM
My stepdaughters got lots of fabric for Christmas. Hubby and I don't exchange gifts and we tell the kids to save the $$ and bypass us on gifts... I got them each about 20 FQs, some precuts (Quilter's Daily Deal finds) and some small 1/2 and 1 yard cuts I found in my travels.

I can't wait to see what they come up with!

mrswindy4
December 31st, 2009, 12:16 AM
I got lots and lots of fabric from my sister!

She has the hook-up when it comes to fabrics. A friend's husband works for a garbage company (I know, you're thinking....ewe!! but its really ok!!) and on his route is a quilting shop. The ladies at the shop save all their extra fabrics (most is last seasons goods) and gives it to him, he in turn takes it home to his wife who shares with my sister. I'm not talking scrap pieces, I'm talkin' full bolts of fabrics! The ladies said they have way to much fabric at home, (how can that be???) and not enough space for more so they let him have all he wants. You'd think they'd just try to sell at a huge discount, but they dont. (Not that I'm complaining...free fabric is always the best!)
My sister cut about 50 yards of different fabrics and sent it to me...I've been scouring the internet trying to find the perfect patterns to use (I'm leaning towards a log cabin pattern since they look fairly easy enough for this beginner)
We'll be taking a trip to visit my sister in June...I know I'll come home with even more fabrics!!

BTW...the fabric is never put in with the regular garbage,always in boxes by itself and the ladies flag him down when they have a stash for him.

shell.scraps
December 31st, 2009, 02:46 AM
I got lots and lots of fabric from my sister!

She has the hook-up when it comes to fabrics. A friend's husband works for a garbage company (I know, you're thinking....ewe!! but its really ok!!) and on his route is a quilting shop. The ladies at the shop save all their extra fabrics (most is last seasons goods) and gives it to him, he in turn takes it home to his wife who shares with my sister. I'm not talking scrap pieces, I'm talkin' full bolts of fabrics! The ladies said they have way to much fabric at home, (how can that be???) and not enough space for more so they let him have all he wants. You'd think they'd just try to sell at a huge discount, but they dont. (Not that I'm complaining...free fabric is always the best!)
My sister cut about 50 yards of different fabrics and sent it to me...I've been scouring the internet trying to find the perfect patterns to use (I'm leaning towards a log cabin pattern since they look fairly easy enough for this beginner)
We'll be taking a trip to visit my sister in June...I know I'll come home with even more fabrics!!

BTW...the fabric is never put in with the regular garbage,always in boxes by itself and the ladies flag him down when they have a stash for him.

You are a lucky lucky girl!!! Color me :mrgreen: with envy......

njlewis
December 31st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Here is a link to an easy pattern using charm packs.
http://sew-fantastic.blogspot.com/2009/ ... orial.html (http://sew-fantastic.blogspot.com/2009/09/disappearing-nine-patch-tutorial.html)

Happy New Year to all!

quiltingtrish
January 1st, 2010, 01:43 AM
Wow - Mrs. Windy - I've never heard of that before. You ARE one lucky lady! I'd be excited to visit with my sister too if she had that much to give away.

Hugs,
Trish

Rosie
January 2nd, 2010, 11:44 PM
Ooohhh you have a Flag Day Farm Jelly Roll? I just finished a quilt for my son with the same thing. I'll post a picture soon. I asked for some fabric for Christmas but didn't get any because it wouldn't have shipped on time. I'm going to get some with my Christmas money.

jrchapman
January 4th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Here is a link to an easy pattern using charm packs.
http://sew-fantastic.blogspot.com/2009/ ... orial.html (http://sew-fantastic.blogspot.com/2009/09/disappearing-nine-patch-tutorial.html)

I'm just finishing a quilt using this disappearing 9-patch and it's been really quick and fun. Super simple for a beginner and looks fab. I'll stick some pictures up soon - I'm just binding it now.

I didn't get any fabric but I got a fantastic book of 365 foundation pieced blocks from my big sister. I haven't attempted foundation piecing yet so I'm really excited

FunkiQuilter
January 8th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I didn't get any fabric for Christmas, but I got money. :D

Now, guess what that money turned into.......

Fabric, Fabric, and more Fabric :D
Also, a new rotary mat, some templates, some template gripper stickers, buttons to cover in fabric, quilting books, and more and more sewing and quilting supplies. :D

I am a happy, happy girl! :D