PDA

View Full Version : Oh, how I wish...

Grandma G
January 8th, 2015, 10:34 PM
... that there was a way for M* to let us know when we are placing an order if we have already purchased that same item before. Obviously not fabric or pre-cuts, etc. I'm talking about patterns and books and templates and those types of items. I know, you are probably thinking that I should pay better attention to what I am ordering but I wouldn't bring this up if I had. I received an order from M* today and when I went to put it away I came across the same pattern as I had ordered it at some point during the last year. Duh! I know when I order books from Amazon.com and I click on a book I'm interested in a notice will pop up if I have already purchased it with the date of the purchase. It has been really helpful to me since I have ordered a library of books over the years.

Anyway, just a thought...

FabStripper
January 8th, 2015, 10:54 PM
I think thats a great idea and maybe it can be added as a feature because you said something. I'm crossing my fingers for you. But of course not fabric or precuts!

laura44
January 9th, 2015, 12:55 AM
All I can suggest is you check your account and go to the bottom and see all your old
orders. This has helped me a few times. I do get what you are saying though.

stationarymom
January 9th, 2015, 03:00 AM
E bay has the same feature,if you put an item in your cart it will tell you that you already purchased that item.

Sandy Navas
January 9th, 2015, 11:08 AM
When I've over purchased notions, templates and such, I stick them in a package that I'm surprising someone with - sort of a pay it forward gift.

Cathy F
January 9th, 2015, 12:22 PM
If you go into your account you can see all previous purchases. I sometimes have to go look in there to look for the name of a fabric line I ordered so I can get some more!

Grandma G
January 9th, 2015, 12:32 PM
When I've over purchased notions, templates and such, I stick them in a package that I'm surprising someone with - sort of a pay it forward gift.

Sandy - that is what I have decided to do, too. I have a very small sewing space and to be honest didn't have it organized very well so that pattern was easily hidden. Since I had no recollection of having already ordered it, going through 50 plus M* orders to see if I had would not have occurred to me. And what a lot of time that would have taken. I spent all day yesterday re-arranging my space. Now dh has a couple of pieces of furniture to put in the attic and I have more space to work with.

When we had this house built 18 years ago we downsized quite a bit and I had no clue I would discover quilting otherwise I would definitely have taken that into consideration. Oh, well, maybe in my next life...

Judy, USMC
January 9th, 2015, 02:37 PM
I was beginning to have a problem with double ordering my pre-cuts. Luckily I have a spreadsheet program available and a dear husband who is computer literate. He formatted a spreadsheet with the collection name, manufacturer, and columns for strips, mini strips, 5"squares, 10"squares, 2 1/2" squares and triangles (turnovers.) Then he went through and inventoried everything and posted it for me .... I really appreciated the support.

And the list came in very handy during the recent sale. I avoided buying several things ~ because I knew I already had them. It was a bit more work making the list but saved money in the long run.

RiverMomm
January 9th, 2015, 03:16 PM
I do like the way Amazon will put a little notice on an item saying "You purchased this on (date)". It saves me from double buying but it also reminds me that "well gee, I must have liked it enough to look at it again and I ordered it here so why not order it again", if needed.

DebbyDE3
January 9th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Been there / done that myself.....so traded a dresden template (my 2nd) for a 1/2 Hexi. :-) Of course, this is the friend who has introduced me to MSQC just about 1 1/2 yrs ago and OMG......my 'computer room' is more 'quilting' than anything else. :-) but am having the time of my life. And isn't that what it's all about?

diane_827@hotmail.com
January 26th, 2015, 09:20 AM
good idea!

Midge
January 26th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Grandma G I feel your pain! Even though I am fairly new to quilting I have over purchased - hate it when that happens! So here's what I did to stop myself from messing up. I use Excel and record every purchase from every source in one place. I tell myself I am controlling my costs. Yeah, right. But this has helped me to avoid ordering too much fabric. Especially when I have precuts sitting and I am afraid a coordinating fabric will sell out before I get around to making it and I convince myself just one more teeny purchase won't hurt. I have different sheets for different lines, and then a sheet for miscellaneous prints and another for solids/blenders. Notions get their own sheet, so each pattern purchase is listed there. I have stopped myself from over ordering because the info is at my fingertips, literally. I also emptied out some old binders with pre-retirement work stuff in them and repurposed them for pattern storage. I use the plastic sheet covers and can store the original and any paper copies I have made of the pieces. I make myself add all new patterns to that binder as soon as they are recorded in Excel. Also helpful if you make plastic templates to keep them in sleeves. I know it is slightly screwy, but I feel good when I come up with an organization method I can actually live with.

soul60s
February 20th, 2015, 08:10 AM
I think that is a great idea. :icon_idea: I just passed my one year mark with quilting. M* has been my prime store to shop from. I have spent thousands of $$$ here in that short year. There are too many orders to go through if I want to find out if I bought it before. I have made the same mistake with precuts. I'd like to see that pop up notice with everything. It would be an excellent shopping tool, especially for those of us who buy often. :icon_whistle:

Trish04
February 20th, 2015, 11:51 AM
I agree great idea! I just spent time going thru my orders to see if I ordered a certain template before, Sure enough I had ordered it last year and the proceeded to go downstairs and find it. So that feature would be a help!

stitchwishes
February 20th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Well now I'm wondering just what I've gotten myself into by taking up quilting! I have so little at this point that I have all my inventory in my head or can quickly glance at my desk. Ya'll are scaring me! But yes, if they redesign the site it would be so nice to see if I bought a color fabric before -- and how many yards or precuts if possible.