PDA

View Full Version : Mondays are another day of starting over

Blondie
August 29th, 2011, 06:46 AM

Good Morning Sisters!
Yep, it's Monday Morning. Let's pretend it is last Monday and start that week over! I mean, I could've done without the earth shaking my house, the anxiety of worrying over more weather for those I love, including me! Since we've said Good Nite Irene and can't turn back time, let's make the best of it.

Wassup today? Clean up? Cat naps? Be sure to mingle some fun stuff in with the drudgeries. And oh yeah, Smile too. It makes even the worst chores seem like a good idea.

Loonwatcher
August 29th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Good Morning. Clean up time across Vermont. We've been declare a state of disaster. Dozens of towns flooded. Many towns still flooded. One death. couple historic covered bridges washed away. First day of school cancelled for many. Ours was not on the list but I think they weren't scheduled to start until tomorrow anyway. They say it's the worse flooding since the flood of '28 (a very famous event around these parts). Don't know yet if I'll be able to make it to work. We did okay at home. Only lost power for about an hour in the middle of the night.

well if I can't get to work I can get to some sewing! :)

have a great day. Be well,

Just learned that I won't be going to work today. It's a "you can't get there from here" thing. Route 100 (the main scenic highway that from through all of VT from border to border) is just gone in one part. DH went out to have coffee with the boys but all the stores where they meet are closed. He said the devastation is amazing. Govenor is saying stay home, state offices closed. He says we can replace property but we can't replace lives. Stay safe. That is so true. with all the damage and loss we've only had one death. A woman was washed away in front of her boyfriend while they were out observing the flooding. Why do people do that? We went out too but stayed far away from the danger. Need to make calls and see how camp fared.

bec
August 29th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Good Morning! Not much going on today. I've quilted the choo-choo trains on the border of the baby quilt. They are on two opposite sides and I'm doing train tracks on the other two sides, today. Then railroad signs on the corners. I'm not totally happy with it, but it will have to do. My niece's baby was due yesterday! The doctor is going to let her go until Wednesday and then they will discuss inducing.

My daughter got back from Vancouver, Canada safely. She went for an interview, but doesn't know if she got the job (post-doc) yet. Competition is very stiff. I'm saying a prayer for her.

Oh, shoot! I just remembered, I'm suppose to can a few hot peppers today. Guess I'll be doing that this morning.

You ladies have a wonderful day. I'll be looking on you later. :)

quiltingtrish
August 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Off to school I go!
Prayers for those waiting for the waters to subside and the clean-up. Sis here is without power. Power lines down all around her neighborhood from the winds. When she calls the electric company, she gets a recording that tells her to "push #1 if you want a wake-up call". Too funny.

I'll check back in after school. Have a great day everyone.

Hugs,

oldgurl4
August 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM
MORNING!!
Woww.... Another Week Over.... That one will stay with us for a While...
But like everything else it's>>>

"HISTORY".... Bye-Bye- Now!!~

~Blondie~ I rather leave last Week where it belongss......I THE PAST!!...LOL
I'm Happy to see You Shinning this morning.

~Nancy~ - I'm sorry you're town got hit hard....I just saw one of the 100+ yr old bridgebridges in Vermont being swept by a river.....Wowww!!
And some guy "JET-SKYING" on the flooded street in his neighborhood...NOW! that's a new one for Me.
Just take it one day at a time.

~Bec~ Glad your Daughter made it fine....can't wait to see your Choo-Choo Quilt.

~TRISH~ Have a Gr8 1st Day!!..... BEHAVE! NOW!!...LOL

Well.!!
I OWE...OWE....So Off To Work I GO!

TTYL

NM Lady
August 29th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Good morning everyone. Prayers for all trying to clean up and get to running again.

Finally finished by Dresden plate for Aunt Grace Circle of Friends. Now just to make all those little flowers....

Hope everyone has a wonderful week! Good bless and take care.

Monique
August 29th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Good morning everyone. Nancy, sorry to hear about the destruction. Thankfully you are safe. Yes material things can be replaced, but lives can not.

Having a hard time deciding what pattern to use for the floral swap. Found one fabric, now I need a coordinating one. I might have to make a trip to Fabricland.

Our big fair is coming up, starts Thursday and runs until Monday. I have volunteered to help the jugdes on Thurs. and on Fri. I will help with the school kids, and my day will end helping the Lions Club serve up hamburgs and fries.

Philip and Jodi and the girls are coming as well. So I need to get this house in somewhat decent shape before Thurs.

Yesterday, I quilted a little more on my black and white quilt.

The sun is out today. Laundry time I think.

Have a wonderful Monday and stay safe.

bambine007
August 29th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Good morning everyone,

Time here in Germany: 3.30 pm
Wether: a little sunshine and 19 C / 66 F

I'am so glad that you're all save. I watch the US-News here in germany and I prayed for all your safty.

Today is my first day at work after my vacation. It's so hard not to think about home and how wonderful it is there :-)
Yesterday I could finish my Housequilt finally. And hopefully I'll finish my green babyquilt today.

Just 1 hour to work than I can go home and do the fun stuff :-)

Have a great day!

Sandy Navas
August 29th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I share with everyone the sigh of relief that everyone in Irene's path is safe and sound. Take care - the road ahead is quite long. I know how long it takes to clean up after an disaster. Just be safe!!

Al FINALLY listened to me yesterday (why are men so stubborn?) and went out and bought new batteries for our lawn mowers. Now, I ask you, why did he wait all summer to do this and why did I have to listen to him bellyache because he had to get out the battery charger to get them to turn over at all? MEN! So, we did get the front yard mowed before the property was condemned. I must say I wish I had a herd of goats in here. We've got enough hay to feed them all through three winters, I am sure.

While I was waiting for him to get the mowers up and running, I ran off to the sewing room and got all of the blocks (replacements) for my local guild's BOM cut out - including the 12 placement blocks. Now I can just sit at the machine and sew and sew and sew and get them all put together. I figured out while cutting that the reason I haven't made more progress is because when I'm cutting my lower back starts aching and instead of hanging in there I give up and go rest. It's the cutting, ladies, it's the cutting. Now I realize why so many say they hate that aspect of quilting. Wonder if I could justify an Accu-Go? No way, Jose.

Headed to Li'l Sis's today where the technician will hopefully have all the parts and finally get our quilting machine set up and running. I'm getting so excited. Ran across a couple of ancient tops that I picked up at a second hand store that need to be quilted. Also woke this morning wondering when my cousin is going to deliver the Sunbonnet Sue quilt pieces - I need to go get those, I guess. And then there's the quilt I started before I actually started quilting (ever been there, done that? How much I have learned - I hope). I also pulled out the fabric that I bought when we were on the bus tour and will start cutting those pieces - maybe tomorrow.

Hugs and prayers where needed.

bakermom
August 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM
i hope recovery goes well for those dealing with Irene. glad you're all safe.
Sandy, the guys played the battery game with mom's mower for years(we mow for her). Finally wised up and kept two, one in the mower and one on the charger"just in case". why are men like that??
I'll be digging around for backing for a couple tops i have upstairs. They really need to be finished. I found some for a crib top Sunday and got it basted, two more to go. my goal is to get those finished before I start anything else. Yeah, right.

csarina
August 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Monday, Monday......cleaning day for me, raced round with the duster mop and hoover, bedrooms and bathroom respectable now. Kitchen and sitting room will get done on Friday.

Had a spectacular failure with Jenny;s way of making 4 HST with 2 x 5" squares, not sure what I did but have ended up cutting them all down to 5" finished blocks to put together. I will have another go another day. Had to go and collect OH from bowls, he rang to say he was not well....so a quick trip to fetch him. he is in bed just now, will be ok in an hour or so. Guess supper will be late tonight.

I am concerned I have not heard from a quilting friend in Chesterfield, Virginia I cannot find out if there are power outages and she is unable to use the computer.....I'll just have to hang in there. Last time they had a power cut it was 9 days before they were re-connected.

Glad that everyone is safe, so sad that people have been killed and such terrible damage from the wind and floods.

patticakes
August 29th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Good afternoon,
Just popped on to see how everyone survived. Sorry to hear of all the damage but relieved to see no real bad news.
Went to JoAnn's and picked up an additional black/orange fabric for the table mat I am making for my daughter. She doesn't want anything too large so I might just do a dresden circle. I got the backing pieced for the second Surfer Girl quilt. This one is taking me soooooo long! I am ready for it to be done, but I absolutely hate the basting part. Just bought some new cans of the spray basting stuff that I use and it seems more sticky/tacky and when I used it on a table runner it was much harder to deal with. Can't let that be my excuse for procratinating even more because I really need to get this done!
I am hand embroidering a label for a friend who received a quilt made for her new baby. Hand stitching while watching tv is one of my favorite things to do.
Have to go pick up BF at the airport tonight. Dreading the drive into Chicago but looking forward to seeing him.
Take care all!

toggpine
August 29th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Patti, I tried the fusible batting and it seems to be holding well. The project has been stalled at the quilting part, but the sandwich is still holding together well. I'm not sure I'd use it again on a full sized quilt since I had to iron it on the floor, but it did work. I think it will be fabulous for smaller projects.
I am still catching up on paperwork around here. Just goes to show that you shouldn't let ANYTHING go for too long. I have had a pretty serious case of apathy for the goat business for the last few years. The girls are being well taken care of, but I haven't been giving the whole picture the same level of dedication I did even 5 years ago. At one point I even thought about selling all of them. I have been breeding them to meat goats and crossbred bucks just to keep them in milk for our own use. After some serious talking to myself, I have decided to keep them and get back to it. The right way. I think I burned myself out. I wasn't having fun with any aspect of the project, and I began to dread going out to the barn. I have cut the numbers way back (9 instead of 32 to milk!) and can actually enjoy having them again. Now I am catching up on the paper work to register the few that I did breed for replacements and milk records. Ugh. BUT, I am doing it so I can go forward with everything neat and tidy. This is kind of like washing a JellyRoll and then trying to untangle it. A huge mess, but worth the effort to salvage the material you spent good money on!
Today is also Kindergarten Open House! Em will meet her teacher and see her classroom! Next Tuesday is the Big Day! She is looking forward to going back to school. As much as she pushes my buttons, I'll miss having her here.
Thanks for taking the iced-tea break with me from the paperwork! I love having you all as close as the computer!
You all have a great day!
Cathy

newbiequilter
August 29th, 2011, 06:13 PM
A day of cleaning up the yard here in NJ. Five carts full of twigs and branches hauled away so far. They seem to still be falling down. Also slowly dumping the saved water in case the power went out and we would need it for flushing. Thankfully my side of the street didn't lose power, but the neighbors across the street did.

Sandy, let me tell you about my friend's two goats. They were so spoiled they wouldn't eat the grass while it was growing, she had to go into their pen and weed-whack the stuff, THEN they would eat it.

Finished a crocheted afghan for a local girl who is doing a Girl Scout gold project, the ghan is a giant granny square with extra rows top and bottom so it will fit someone's lap.

janluna
August 29th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Hello everybody,Emily had a blood test today. We are waiting to see the results. Praying that the levels went up. I did laundry all day, and read a good book this afternoon. I should have mopped and vacuumed but I'm saving it for tomorrow. Wednesday I'll wash sheets and towels.
Bec, I will pray for your daughter to be picked for the job!
I will be praying for all the victims of the hurricane and I am so sorry about the floods in Vermont. It is such a beautiful state and the bridges that got wiped out were so pretty. Somewhere I have pictures of a lot of them from when Joe and I went to Vermont for our 19th Anniversary. Long time ago, we will be celebrating out 46th in September. I heard they verified 2 deaths and are looking for a third person now. My heart and prayers go out to the families all along the path of "Irene"that have lost a loved one. As of this afternoon they have verified 25 people have lost their lives from this east coast horror. Hugs, Jan L.