PDA

View Full Version : "Words" for 2015

toggpine
January 2nd, 2015, 03:12 AM
Last year I tried choosing a 'word' to help shape my year. I threw the idea out here in the James &the Giant NightOwl post if you want to go check out the thoughts of the other players.

It was a good exercise, and I did try to think about it more than just in January. Last year the word just kind of came along, this year was a bit more of a struggle to find one that fits. I may change if this one doesn't work.

The idea is to choose a word or short phrase that has meaning for you. Some folks used it as a goal, others as a guide. No one 'owns' a word and they can be used by anyone. I figure that we'd all apply it differently even if we all had the same word!

You can give us your thoughts on choosing you word, or not. It is a personal thing and if you don't want to share, that's OK.

I think my word for the year is going to be "Balance".
It was that, or "Enough". Enough seemed to be the better choice, but the more I thought about it, the more worry it seemed to bring with it. Have I given enough? Do we have enough to get by? Did we plant enough? Etc.
Can you see how that brings a dose of concern with it?
With Balance, I can have enough, but not too much.
If I do have more than I need, then I can share or trade with someone. I can balance my budget of $, time, and fabric.
I can balance my diet. (No, not a cupcake in each hand!)
Hopefully, I can manage to balance the farm and a part-time job too.

If you want to join in, please do! I know some of you already have given this some thought and had started to list on the other thread. Please add your words here so we can keep track of them for review at the end of 2015!

shawnan
January 2nd, 2015, 03:32 AM
Balance is a very nice choice and will be a reminder when it comes to make a decision about something.

My word is going to be resilient. I need to have that be my reminder always and I'm frequently not very good at it. I spent 2014 addressing some health/vision issues and it will be more of the same in 2015. I took quite a hit (emotionally) in October and it has taken me almost 3 months to get over it. That is not acceptable.

Here is the definition I'm working with: "able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions." I think the Serenity prayer will go hand in hand with my word

Happy New Year to everyone.

Nancy

Hulamoon
January 2nd, 2015, 03:52 AM
I think I'll pick moderation. Oh that's the same as less. lol. I'm a TV junky, that will be hard to break , so I'm going to cut down, as least during the morning and just record my favorites.

Okay that's it for now. Back to the Walking Dead. :lol:

snippet
January 2nd, 2015, 06:16 AM
My word is REDUCE

weight, stash, clutter

In the fall I had this feeling that I needed to move somewhere. That feeling has diminished a bit, but it did make me think about all the stuff I have. I need to get rid of it all.

LRM
January 2nd, 2015, 09:22 AM
This year my word is create. I have committed to do something creative each day (or organize my creative stuff!). I have let myself get very caught up in my day job work and to think that I don't "deserve" to work in my creative space if there is undone career work. NO MORE! I need the outlet and will have to make it work. Forget exercise, I need creative time!

Sandy Navas
January 2nd, 2015, 10:52 AM
Give it up!

(that means declutter/downsize/get it out of here)

Angelia
January 2nd, 2015, 01:06 PM
Mine is "Calm." I need to remember to take a deep breath, step back, and look at things with perspective not anxiety.

toggpine
January 2nd, 2015, 02:46 PM
Good choices for good reasons!

pcbatiks
January 2nd, 2015, 03:47 PM
As usually.........I still thinking on my word. I could say patience.....but I'm not going to. We all know what happens when you pray for more patience. You get tested in a big way about 3 seconds after you say...amen. :D So I am still thinking. I do enjoy this thread......I believe all of the word choices help us all.

MRoy
January 2nd, 2015, 03:59 PM
Mine are - De-clutter (mental, emotional, home and studio all need decluttering) and reduce (reduce stress and I need to lose weight...AGAIN!)

quiltingtrish
January 2nd, 2015, 04:02 PM
I have been mulling over this since you posted last years and I read over those. Then I went to a thesaurus to look for ideas and nothing hit me. Then I pulled out a book or two that I have been reading and 2 ideas came to mind.
One is 'Dare'. You dare yourself to get things done and that could work for me - but knowing me - only for awhile.

Then I read 'What If?' What if I was kinder to so and so who really grinds me the wrong way? What if I turned the computer off more than on and spent that time creating something in my quilt room? What if I add another $10. to such or such bill?
What if ..........I can see it touching just about everything I do or say, so even though it's two words, What if is what I am choosing.

If you say it really, really fast - it sounds like one word 'Whatif'. :)

lourixe
January 2nd, 2015, 10:36 PM
I think mine is going to be "to ration". I must learn to keep my breath for the long runs, and not speed up from the start and then break down before the end.

Hulamoon
January 3rd, 2015, 01:03 AM
I thought of two more. Breakfast.. really bad at eating, so I'm adding that to my day. Lists...much better at spending when I make them.

I'm still watching Walking Dead, so I'll start everything tomorrow. :D

toggpine
January 3rd, 2015, 01:33 AM
No worries! Phrases are OK too!

Cathy F
January 3rd, 2015, 01:35 AM
I worry over everything, ( I know, worrying about something doesn't change it or make it better) it's just the way I'm programmed. So my word for the new year will be tranquility.

ilive2craft2
January 3rd, 2015, 01:45 AM
Lots of good choices so far! I have also been pondering this since last year. I really like balance - I think I can apply that in many different ways - balancing work and home, balanced meals, balancing the scale, etc......

Grandma Nan
January 3rd, 2015, 02:50 AM
I will be focusing on reducing this year in multiple ways. Stress, weight, and my stash are only a few of the things I will look to reduce in 2015.

snippet
January 3rd, 2015, 05:04 AM
I have been mulling over this since you posted last years and I read over those. Then I went to a thesaurus to look for ideas and nothing hit me. Then I pulled out a book or two that I have been reading and 2 ideas came to mind.
One is 'Dare'. You dare yourself to get things done and that could work for me - but knowing me - only for awhile.

Then I read 'What If?' What if I was kinder to so and so who really grinds me the wrong way? What if I turned the computer off more than on and spent that time creating something in my quilt room? What if I add another $10. to such or such bill?
What if ..........I can see it touching just about everything I do or say, so even though it's two words, What if is what I am choosing.

If you say it really, really fast - it sounds like one word 'Whatif'. :)

I like Dare too. I've been pondering a solo trip this year. Don't know where or when I'll go, but I'm going to dare myself and go.

Hulamoon
January 3rd, 2015, 05:27 AM
I like Dare too. I've been pondering a solo trip this year. Don't know where or when I'll go, but I'm going to dare myself and go.

I love that word and would love to take the challange. Everyone thinks it's so cool to come to Hawaii and it's actually boring. It's a tourist trap. I can't believe I lived here this long.

toggpine
January 3rd, 2015, 06:01 AM

My guess is nearly anywhere you go, you would be able to meet up with someone from M* and have a good time! What interests you, besides fabric? Oh! They used to have quilting cruises, or you could plan a trip around one of the big quilt shows or markets!

snippet
January 3rd, 2015, 06:07 AM
My guess is nearly anywhere you go, you would be able to meet up with someone from M* and have a good time! What interests you, besides fabric? Oh! They used to have quilting cruises, or you could plan a trip around one of the big quilt shows or markets!Well that's why I've gone to the M* retreat. So I guess I've been daring myself for two years. But on those trips I knew I'd meet people I had been chatting with. This other daring trip will be just myself solely to see the US.

I love that word and would love to take the challange. Everyone thinks it's so cool to come to Hawaii and it's actually boring. It's a tourist trap. I can't believe I lived here this long.I have an ex-bf that moved to Hawaii just after I retired. He has always dreamed of living there and he tried to get me to move with him. I wouldn't but he did anyways. He's now hoping the lava flow doesn't get his house!

LizTheScot
January 4th, 2015, 01:38 AM
Originally my word was going to be Forgiveness - of others, myself, for hurts and slights real or imagined, for not doing enough - and I still need that one. But I also need to remember Now. Instead of thinking of what has been or what might be, I really need to take time to think about Now and to be wholly in the moment and focused on whoever or whatever is in front of me right now. And maybe - I don't know, crazy thought time - maybe even disengaging from the computer and the phone and the TV for long enough to really engage with the person I'm talking to. Maybe my third word should be Unplug. Just, not the sewing machine....

LRM
January 4th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Liz, this is so beautifully written! I agree that forgiveness and now are two very important words. Thank you for your post. It has really caused me to ponder other ways to enjoy the present and find joy in what is right in front of me (which might not be this forum!). Happy new year to you.

Ginny B
January 4th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I have been thinking about this and came up with so many different words or phrases but I just kept coming back to Balance or Moderation. Those two seemed to cover all the things I feel I need to work on this year such as spending, both time and money, food choices, getting rid of "stuff" - keep the things that are truly useful or meaningful and pitching or donating the rest.

I think I will choose Moderation as my word. If I work towards that, I believe things will become balanced.