PDA

View Full Version : Flooring Problem Question

pcbatiks
January 1st, 2015, 10:15 PM
We had new flooring put in our kitchen, utility room and small hallway that joins both of these rooms. It is Nafco Permastone Luxury tiles.......it is a top rated vinyl tile. The installed it Monday......the tile are glued down. By mid-morning on Tuesday most of the tiles around the outer edge of the utility room were coming loose (up to 4 or 5 inches from the wall). Most of the tiles in the little hallway were loose......as in, you can press on them and they move. And some of the kitchen tiles were loose.

I called them back Tuesday & they sent the guys out to re-glue those tiles. Tuesday night we could still see a little give in some of those same tiles.......so we put weights on all those areas and left the weights down until this afternoon...............some of the tiles are still loose.

The utility room floor is concrete with a 30 year old vinyl flooring on top........the glue has held all these years. The hallway was concrete and the kitchen has a plywood subfloor..........they pulled up the old vinyl sheet flooring.

We are worried about what could have been done wrong or what the problem could be. Has anyone else used the Nafco Permastone? Did you have good luck with it? Has anyone has problems with floor not staying glued down? Any info would be appreciated and thanks for letting me vent. :icon_rolleyes:

K. McEuen
January 1st, 2015, 10:18 PM
How warm is your slab? If the concrete was too cold the glue won't stick. That's the biggest problem with laying vinyl tile or flooring in the winter. When we had the house built in Texas they had to bring in big heaters to warm the slab and the tiles still popped loose in a few places. Once we had moved in and the heat was on all the time (February) the guy came back and fixed those loose ones. They stuck just fine once the slab had heated up completely.

Carrie J
January 1st, 2015, 10:23 PM
Oh Pam, I'm so sorry to hear this. And unfortunately I don't know anything about Permastone. My first question would be is the Contractor certified in installing/laying this type of product, and secondly did they follow the manufacturers recommendations for the glue, floor prep and it's application. I surely hope this company was bonded and insured for y'all's sake! Hope this gets resolved to y'alls satisfaction and soon!

Sandy Navas
January 1st, 2015, 10:25 PM
Pam, Karen may be right on key with this - I'd definitely keep the installers and suppliers on alert that this was not acceptable. If they don't solve it . . . there's always Judge Judy.

bubba
January 1st, 2015, 10:44 PM
My guess would be that they used the wrong glue for the type flooring they laid. We used exactly the brand they called for, because of the warranty, and never had a problem with any of them coming loose or moving around. I would google your flooring and see the type of glue it calls for and then ask them what they used. If they didn't use the right stuff, make them redo the entire floor. Flooring is not cheap and neither is having to replace it because the warranty is voided because of poor workmanship.

Jean Sewing Machine
January 1st, 2015, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry about your installation issue. I have a similar product in my kitchen, it is wonderful! I hope you can get your flooring installed securely, because you are going to love it.

pcbatiks
January 2nd, 2015, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The owner of the shop we bought from came out today. He pulled up a few tiles in the utility room and we found out that the workers had not taken up the loose ragged edges of the old vinyl sheeting.......even after they were told to & I ask them if they had done that on there 2nd trip to our house. That is part of the reason the tiles sticking is a problem along the walls........that along with the fact that they didn't do a good enough job with prepping the floor......according to the owner.

We think part of the problem originally was the glue. They re-glued the loose tiles in the kitchen with a new glue batch & it seems to be holding. The hallway has an issue all its own. He pulled up a few tiles & said that they will need to put down a moisture barrier. Soooooo........he ordered more tile for those 2 areas & they are going to completely re-do the hall and utility room. They have us scheduled to for the re-do next Friday..........keep your fingers crossed that this takes care of the problem.

It's always nice to have the support of the forum..........even on annoying home improvement issues. Thanks! :D

ilive2craft2
January 2nd, 2015, 08:57 PM
Pam, so glad that they came out and figured out the issue and are fixing it promptly. No fun living in a construction zone and just when you think it is finished, it has to go back to being a construction zone! Hoping everything is great after next week!

Carrie J
January 2nd, 2015, 10:18 PM
Pam, so relieved for y'all, and I'm sure there were some "burning ears" when the Owner got back to the shop! Oh well, at least he seems to be doing right by y'all. Will say a quick prayers for you though, never hurts! :D

Sandy Navas
January 2nd, 2015, 10:25 PM
We recently had a case (in the Kansas City area) where a homeowner had installed a camera on the front of his house - not because of problems, but because he was just curious as to what happened in the neighborhood. One day he reviewed the camera after receiving a bill on his door from his lawn care service - and guess what? He wasn't home, so the tech went to his truck, wrote out the bill and taped it to his door, returned to his truck and drove off. Guess who was looking for work the next day?

alliek
January 2nd, 2015, 10:27 PM
It;s nice to hear that there will be a satisfactory resolution! I wouldn't have wanted to be any of those guys that laid that tile when that owner returned! I know he lost a lot of money on this. i hope they learned not to short cut a job and do it correctly the first time.

bubba
January 2nd, 2015, 10:48 PM
I would be so annoyed!!! At least the owner is doing right and fixing it!