PDA

View Full Version : Sitting here tapping my foot.....

bubba
December 31st, 2014, 10:23 PM
and patiently waiting to hear how everyone's enjoying their new children today. By children, I mean sewing machines! I know of at least four who got one yesterday and Lorie said she was picking one up today.....so what's up? Are you busy having fun? Did they tell you their names yet??

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Sonic
December 31st, 2014, 10:29 PM
I know...right?
Tappin' here too.

Hulamoon
December 31st, 2014, 10:41 PM
Well i might have to wait for a real sale and not just a courtesy discount. I went and looked up prices and hers was HIGH! But no big loss. I have my Babylock Ellegante, the harp is 9''. I just have to adjust from using it as an embroidery machine to a regular one. Which dummy me never took advantage of. So it is sort of getting a new machine.

So I'm happy still :)

Jean Sewing Machine
December 31st, 2014, 10:59 PM
My Singer S16 got a light workout today. I made another charm tote bag for a friend I was meeting for lunch. It is speedy, that's for sure! I pieced the charms, but had to go to the regular machine to insert the zipper, as there is no moving the needle from side to side. It has some similarities to my longarm in the way it threads ( two tension mechanisms) and the bobbin case has an inner spring like the longarm does. So far, so good. You know when you cut thread, it is pretty loud. Need to set up a practice quilt sandwich to see how it FMQs, that's why I got it. Wow, in the days when I made draperies, this would have been the machine to use, because it straight stitches so fast. (1600 SPM). Ok, who else has a report? I doubt we'll hear from Bubby in the near future because her daughter is very ill, she will be concentrating on her daughter now.

Keep tapping the foot, Pat!

No name yet.

bubba
December 31st, 2014, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the update Jean! You can feel free to name it after me :) Princess Pat....hahahahah!!

Papa
December 31st, 2014, 11:18 PM
Just sitting here playing with my new toy. I was having trouble with the thread tension so I got rid of the Coats and Clark and put on some Mettler . I was using an 80 needle with the Coats but had to switch to a 90 to use the Mettler. The tension problem went away as soon as I got rid of the Coats. The machine would skip stitches with the 80 needle and the Mettler. I put a 1/4 inch foot on it today and have been playing with sewing scraps together. I haven't tried all the accessories yet but that will happen someday. I thought this 221 would make a nice companion for my Singer 301.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 31st, 2014, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the update Jean! You can feel free to name it after me :) Princess Pat....hahahahah!!
Well, since you acquired Jack, you got my thought processes twitching again for a straight stitch machine, so I will put that name on the "short list". Thinking of the male gender thing for this, as you did, and was leaning toward Sam the Singer.

sewlucky
December 31st, 2014, 11:41 PM
Well i might have to wait for a real sale and not just a courtesy discount. I went and looked up prices and hers was HIGH! But no big loss. I have my Babylock Ellegante, the harp is 9''. I just have to adjust from using it as an embroidery machine to a regular one. Which dummy me never took advantage of. So it is sort of getting a new machine.

So I'm happy still :)

Order up some new fabric with the money you've saved and to practice with, of course!

Hulamoon
December 31st, 2014, 11:49 PM
Order up some new fabric with the money you've saved and to practice with, of course!

I know! I'm going to do some of the layercake ideas that have been floating around. My little Rose does really nice applique but that was on childrens clothes. I hope the Babylock does as well. That's going to be my first test.

bubba
December 31st, 2014, 11:52 PM
Papa, your machine is very pretty! I look forward to using my featherweight, whose name is Cookie, more this year. I've really only just played around w/it so far.

Grandma Nan
January 1st, 2015, 12:55 AM
Just sitting here playing with my new toy. I was having trouble with the thread tension so I got rid of the Coats and Clark and put on some Mettler . I was using an 80 needle with the Coats but had to switch to a 90 to use the Mettler. The tension problem went away as soon as I got rid of the Coats. The machine would skip stitches with the 80 needle and the Mettler. I put a 1/4 inch foot on it today and have been playing with sewing scraps together. I haven't tried all the accessories yet but that will happen someday. I thought this 221 would make a nice companion for my Singer 301.

I so love these little machines. I am really anxious to buy one but I have decided it has to be a good deal.

K. McEuen
January 1st, 2015, 01:00 AM
I so love these little machines. I am really anxious to buy one but I have decided it has to be a good deal.

What do you consider a good deal? There is one on Craig's List here in town ...
Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine (http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/art/4769290531.html)

RiverMomm
January 1st, 2015, 01:15 AM
Still feeling the "aaahhhhh" sigh when I look at my machine. I am actually taking the time to read the manual. Well, maybe only some of it but I have looked it over.

He (she?) is all snug and happy in the sewing cabinet as of this afternoon. Sews very fast and very smooth. Now all I have to do is figure out all the buttons for the stitches. Of course, I will be using the straight stitch 99% of the time but it's nice to be ready for those wild moments of stitch frenzy.

Papa
January 1st, 2015, 10:45 AM
Papa, your machine is very pretty! I look forward to using my featherweight, whose name is Cookie, more this year. I've really only just played around w/it so far.

Thank you. It is a 1952 model in really good shape and came with a lot of accessories to play with. I will make some kind of quilt with it just for the fun of it. I made a quilt with my 301 so it wouldn't be right not to do so with this one.

Sandy Navas
January 1st, 2015, 11:14 AM
Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine (http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/art/4769290531.html)

If it runs and hums then that's a great deal. So, are you now the proud owner?

Claire Hallman
January 1st, 2015, 12:27 PM

That sounds like a pretty good deal. The paint looks a little rough, like it has been used a lot and loved. I paid $300 for mine without the buttonholer. Just make sure it has its bobbin case, I would see if they would take less but that is just my style.:icon_rolleyes:

K. McEuen
January 1st, 2015, 12:36 PM
If it runs and hums then that's a great deal. So, are you now the proud owner?

Oh no. I already have one, but since Nan was looking ...

Quiltfreestyle
January 1st, 2015, 12:41 PM
Just an FYI.... Someone in another post mentioned Shopgoodwill.com. I checked it out & they had several Featherweights for sale. It looks to be kind of an auction type thing. But they have a lot of good pictures of the machines & a lot of details
Worth a look if are really in the market...
I love mine & plan on using it more ...

Bubby
January 1st, 2015, 02:39 PM
My Janome 12000 Horizon has been named Jewel. I'm enjoying learning everything she can do. I hope I can keep up with her!