PDA

View Full Version : It's Wednesday, hump day, and the last day of 2014

Monique
December 31st, 2014, 08:34 AM

Good morning everyone. Another BIG day and night here at the Atkinson house. Our last family gathering for this year. This is our big one indeed, seafood fest. YUM. Les will be going shopping later this morning for all the seafood.

Last night we all attended my nephew's 30th birthday dinner. Had a lot of fun, got to give my brother his quilt, a wall hanging he will frame, and the history of our Robillard (my maiden name) name. Both my niece and nephew got one as well. For Line, his partner, I gave her my row by row quilt. I am sure the quilt went onto the bed when they got home. We had a great time.

2014 has been a busy year, but then again, it is always busy in my life, or so it seems. I did get three quilts hand quilted which is a big achievement for me. I got to hang out here every day with all of you. I think by now, you all know how I feel about this place and each one of you. You have all touched my life and I hold a special place in my heart for you all.

I wish you ALL nothing but good health, success in whatever you do, and much happiness for 2015.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

Bubby
December 31st, 2014, 08:55 AM
Morning Everyone,

Today I will begin the adventure of getting to know my new machine. It came with so many accessories and computer programs to download and learn. Steep learning curve ahead, but I'm up for it. I will post picture when the dust settles and all the wrappings are gone.

We stay home safe and sound on New Year's Eve and seldom are awake late enough to see in the new year. If our neighbors shoot off their canon we will definitely be awake...lol! I hope that all of you who are going to celebrate have a grand time. Jeff has to work tomorrow so it will be back up at 4 am tomorrow for us.

Wishing everyone a great day...!!

shermur
December 31st, 2014, 09:26 AM
Mornin'! I didn't sleep well due to the fact my Navy daughter, Ashley went into labor Yesterday morning and still no word. I got a text that her water broke at 11:30 Last night and achieved 9 cm 3 hours ago. I didn't realize being a new granny would be so exciting and worrisome. I so wish I was there to greet this new love in my life.....hopefully soon, we'll get word that the handsome lad has arrived! My oldest son turns 26 today and will sharing his birthday with his new nephew!

grannyann
December 31st, 2014, 09:32 AM
Hope you hear something soon and all is going well with the birth.

LRM
December 31st, 2014, 09:36 AM
Congrats Sherri! What a wonderful way to end the year. I hope your daughter and baby are doing well.

Today my step-daughter and her five children (ages 1-9!!) arrive. They have been delayed in coming, so just when I thought I'd be cleaning up and getting ready to go back to work I'm about to host a houseful for the next several days. I love seeing the kids, but it is a lot of work. I'm happy that she wants to be here with her dad, but it is always a lot of stress. In spite of being married to her dad since she was 8 years old (almost 30 years) I'm not considered a "mom" by any stretch and certainly not a grandma to the kids. It is painful to me, but I am grateful that she wants to have a relationship with my husband and that he is Papa to the kids. There were times when I doubted she would ever be a part of our life. Sigh.

On the creative side, I am excited for the new year. I am up for a big promotion at work, which I'm feeling quite confident about. I still have work to do to my file (evidence I present that I'm "worthy"), but it is a big raise so it is worth the time. I'm also committed to carving out more time for crafting, sewing, and generally feeling creative this year.

If you set them, what are your resolutions?

Happy New Year!

Cathy F
December 31st, 2014, 09:36 AM
Morning all,
Not sure what's on my agenda for today yet.
Yesterday I found an Anitagooddesign I was looking for. It was the Baltimore quilts revisited. A local quilt store in Calverton had it and I took a drive out there and picked it up. This will be a new project for this year and I can stitch out all the patterns without re-hooping so I am a happy camper!
We stay in on New Years Eve, some years we're awake to see the ball drop . we'll see how we do this year! Wishing everyone a healthy and happy new year. It seems this past year just flew by, as I get older it seems they go by faster and faster.

Ginny B
December 31st, 2014, 09:52 AM
Good morning everyone. Busy day here --- tons of laundry, need to go to the store for a few things that we will need before our regular shopping day this weekend, got to make a stop at the post office to mail a game controller that one of my sons left here and then I may stop at AC Moore and see if the cotton yarn that I use to make dishcloths is on sale. I need to replenish my stock in my craft booth. I also will be back in my sewing room to continue my clean-up/organizing that I started yesterday.

I am loving being off this week. Getting a lot accomplished. DH and I will go out to an early dinner tonight at a restaurant close by that just recently opened. Then back home we will head. Sometimes we go next door to a neighbors but I'm not sure if we will tonight or not. I'm kinda feeling like I'd like to just be at home. Tomorrow we will have some cinnamon buns for breakfast and just stay in our pj's or sweats and be comfy all day. We will watch the Rose Bowl Parade, maybe some football and some HGTV.
DH is going to make chicken marsala for dinner and then we will do some more relaxing and reflecting on the year just passed and think about what may await us in the new year.

Sherri, hope you get some news soon. How nice that your grandson will be sharing his birthday with his uncle. Monique, have a wonderful time at your family gathering tonight. Sounds like fun. Barb, have fun with your new machine. So exciting.

Well, off I go to get things accomplished. Have a great day and Happy New Year to all. I wish good health and all the best to everyone. You are all such special people here and I am so glad I found this forum two years ago.

MayinJerset
December 31st, 2014, 09:58 AM
Thank You Monique for the Happy New Year's Good Wishes. I see there will be a new baby, new sewing machine adventures and hopefully new and/or better family relationships for some of us. We will be starting 2015 with a new grandson in law (DGD and he married on Monday), a new great grandchild expected in March as well as mark our 60th anniversary and many more big and small events during the year. Wishing all my forum friends a wonderful New Year with much Happiness, Love and Good Health and, of course, Happy Quilting.

MRoy
December 31st, 2014, 10:07 AM
Good morning and Happy New Year! Sherri, congrats on your new grandbaby. New year's eve will be quiet here, pretty much just another day. I feel like I may be coming down with something...sure hope it's not DH's ailment.

"Let our New Year's resolution be this: we will be there for one another as fellow members of humanity, in the finest sense of the word." - Goran Persson

ravelim
December 31st, 2014, 11:26 AM
Happy New year's to everyone. I usually feel kind of sad on this day of the year but not this year. I'm so excited about the coming year. So many new experiences and joy.

Smile .

songbird857
December 31st, 2014, 11:38 AM
Mornin all :)
Hubby and I are trying to plan out some better storage options for the room that my daughters currently share. It gets a bit tight in there with all of their stuff...
Later, I will walk my 19DD through making a zipper pouch (gourmet quilter) for her friend. It will be her first attempt sewing anything!
Sherri - a new grand :-) nice little deduction for your daughter and SIL if baby makes it here before midnight ;)
Barb - have fun with your new machine!
Hope everyone has a safe evening if you will be out and about. The seafood party sounds heavenly...
First time in 27 years we will be home for New Years Eve... no fuss, just us ;)
Have a great day (and night) all.... hugs to everyone.

tobeysmama
December 31st, 2014, 11:47 AM
Happy New Year everyone. So exciting to have a new baby in your family Sherri. I go back to work tomorrow so it will be an early bedtime this evening. Hope the day is good for all. Jan

Carrie J
December 31st, 2014, 11:53 AM
Morning All! :D And............

Cold front is in, possible sleet, more to the West of us, but gonna be cold to ring in the New Year. Looks like there area already auspicious happenings, new machines, new grandbabies, better family relations, promotions, new marriages, anniversaries........... all great portents for the year ahead!

Hubs and I will spend it quietly, wonder if we'll make it thru watching the ball drop, LOL! Otherwise just another quiet evening most likely. Cold front has arrived in all it's chilly splendor, ice to the West of us, debatable as to whether we get freezing rain/sleet or not. Going to be right chilly the next couple of days, and then warm a tad. Hope everyone has a wonderful New Year's Eve, be it quiet or not. And wishing only the best for all on this Forum in the New Year to come! Off for coffee, then hitting the sewing again. Hugs and Blessing to all, and especially those that need them!

JCY
December 31st, 2014, 01:05 PM
The mercury read -12 this a.m.! Brrr. Denver weathermen were forecasting a record breaking low temp. Haven't heard if it did. At least the sun is up. It's supposed to warm into the 20's today, which will seem like a heat wave after all these cold temps. I sewed ~90 min. yest., the first since I got sick on the 21st. Hope to do more today. I'm glad I'm feeling so much better. I have no agenda for the day other than to do some sewing.

Angelia
December 31st, 2014, 01:25 PM
Housework today--gotta get a handle on the mess!

We are always home on New Year's Eve--never venture out when the crazies are on the roads! We usually have Chinese food, but not sure this year--everything feels a little flat since my step-daughter flew home yesterday.

Best wishes to all in the new year--I am thankful for all of you. :)

Simply Quilting
December 31st, 2014, 01:45 PM
Good Morning! Yesterday was quite a day for me with the dentist. Originally, we were going to do a root canal and crown but with the cost and it being the far back right tooth, I just decided to have it pulled. It was 10 times cheaper to pull than to have the root canal. I have had some very bad experiences with dentists especially with the needles in the past but this one was wonderful. He was very calm and patient and helped talk me through all of the injections. My sweet husband's tooth took less than 30 seconds to pull out last week - of course, it was ready to be taken out. My tooth was not ready to come out. He worked with it and it did come out then he did the filling that was in the tooth in front of that one.

After surviving the dentist, I decided it was reward time with a road trip. To where else but the Missouri Star. So dh and I came home, packed the children and the dog in the van and headed out. When we got to Hamilton, dh and the children ate lunch (I didn't feel like eating) while I started shopping with my list. They finished eating then helped me finish shopping. Next we headed to Kansas City to pick up my Symphony which had been in for a cleaning job.

Today's to-do list is to organize the fabric and get it wrote into my quilting notebook. I have a couple boxes of papers and stuff to sort through. And might go to a college basketball game tonight. There are no big plans for New Year's Eve here.

Have a wonderful and safe time tonight everyone :)

RockinLou
December 31st, 2014, 04:04 PM
Happy New Year! It struck 2015 here about an hour ago and the fireworks are still going!! It's wild, but so amazing, every window you look out, you see fireworks. They started around 9 here and there but the real surge was from 12-12:45. We let the kids stay up, which was super exciting to them, but they really were soooooo good. It was a movie night for them, on the couch with cuddly quilts and pillows, while DH and I sat at the kitchen table and played Rummy 500. I won, so I got an extra chunk of the chocolate bar we shared!

Today was a nice day, we went shopping this morning and then had a really good lunch out, my 3 year old who has been driving me crazy lately was SO GOOD today, I was sure to shower him with lots of positive reinforcement too. When we got home we put some chilli in the crock pot and I got to sew for quite a good stretch whole the kids played at my feet. I was working on a skirt for myself though, not a quilt. Now I've finished the skirt, I can't decide if I should put a waistband on it and wear it as a skirt, or if I should try. To find a pattern for a dress that would work and go that route.... Decisions, decisions!

I'm hoping 2015 will bring continued peace to my nuclear family, and sobriety and healing to my extended family.

MayinJerset
December 31st, 2014, 05:14 PM
Wow, DH and I went food shopping and the supermarket was packed with people buying tons of food, difficult to get through the aisles because the shelves were being stocked at the same time. I thought there was a blizzard coming but now just everyone buying food for parties and/or NYDay dinners. Roads are also packed with cars and intersections backed up for blocks. Don't know if it will continue that way all night but DH and I will be at home with some dip and chips and a wine (me) and beer (DH) toast to the New Year at midnight - that is if we stay awake that long.

Sandy Navas
December 31st, 2014, 07:31 PM
I've been challenged to stay up past 8:15 tonight (Thanks, Pam!!!!!)

Chicken and dumplings and boring TV - the highlights of the evening.

pcbatiks
December 31st, 2014, 07:48 PM
Hey Sandy.........I'll trade my sandwich for some chicken and dumplings! :D

We will be doing good if we are still awake by 8:30.......will probably fall asleep in front of the tv. But if I am industrious.......I hope to get the den straightened & organized.......that is also my sewing area/room.

Our New Year's festivities will consist of putting our hot water heater back in place and possible the stove too.......after the new floor was put in...........wooooohooooo..............Party on Wayne! Party on Garth! :icon_rofl::icon_rofl: Please don't be jealous of our fun party plans! :D

Wishing everyone a healthy and happy new year! :)

Sandy Navas
December 31st, 2014, 09:10 PM
Al has promised that he'll set the alarm to wake us at 11:59 so we can watch the Times Square ball drop . . . and I told him not to bother.

Tomorrow is another year notched on my cane!!

Hey . . . wait a minute, I don't use a cane.

stitching woman
December 31st, 2014, 09:16 PM
Sandy if you had a cane you could play golf in the thread isle at Wal-Mart.