PDA

View Full Version : New machine nerves

RiverMomm
December 30th, 2014, 04:25 PM
So, the new machine arrived and it sat there waiting. Waiting for me to get over a bad case of "new machine nerves." I read the manual (ok, well sort of) and I was ready.

Last night I filled the first bobbin, threaded the machine and started sewing. All I can say is . . . "Aaaaahhhhhhhh" (with a deep happy sigh).

Let's hear it for Santa!!!!!

bubba
December 30th, 2014, 04:35 PM
How fun!!! I can't remember though...what did you get?

Wrenmuzz
December 30th, 2014, 04:45 PM
I recognise that sigh! Santa brought me a new Singer XL 400 - I must have been a saint never mind good!

RiverMomm
December 30th, 2014, 04:47 PM
It's a Singer s-18. Made by Janome and the same as a Janome 6500. Very easy to use. Or maybe it just seems easy because my first sewing machine I bought over 30 years ago was made by Janmoe (ggessshh, was it that long ago?!?)

Kgrammiecaz
December 30th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Awesome - a new toy is always a good thing. Cant wait to hear more about it.

pcbatiks
December 30th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Vicky, you must have been very good this year! :) Have fun with your new machine.

Bubby
December 30th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Congratulations on your new machine. So glad to hear you're happy with it so far. You must have been angelic this year!

Carrie J
December 30th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Vicky, good for you and WOW you musta been REALLLLLL good girl! Enjoy! :D

Jean Sewing Machine
December 30th, 2014, 06:13 PM
So glad to hear that AHHH, I'm hanging by the door for my UPS guy, hope I can wrestle the box down to the sewing room by myself! I guess if I can wrestle a longarm, I can manage this.

shawnan
December 30th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Congrats on the new machine. Have fun with it!

Nancy

GrammaBabs
December 30th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Congrats... that "first" stitch trip is always a little nerve wracking... I know what you mean,,then you tell yourself,,, What was I worrying about???:)

GrammaBabs
December 30th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Now Jean,,, i'll bet it not the weight you worried about... where the heck will it sit?? LOL
I'm guessing you have a nice big house right!!!!
So glad to hear that AHHH, I'm hanging by the door for my UPS guy, hope I can wrestle the box down to the sewing room by myself! I guess if I can wrestle a longarm, I can manage this.

FabStripper
December 30th, 2014, 06:45 PM
So, the new machine arrived and it sat there waiting. Waiting for me to get over a bad case of "new machine nerves." I read the manual (ok, well sort of) and I was ready.

Last night I filled the first bobbin, threaded the machine and started sewing. All I can say is . . . "Aaaaahhhhhhhh" (with a deep happy sigh).

Let's hear it for Santa!!!!!

All I can think of is this reminds me of one of those Booking-dot-com commercials where the man drags his family on a vacation and they all think it's going to be another bust but then he opens the door to a magnificent hotel suite. Enjoy your gift from Santa!

RiverMomm
December 30th, 2014, 06:57 PM

I opened the box in the dining room and put the machine on the table. So I was only bending once to get to the machine. Then I carried just the machine upstairs (yeah, I could have waited and asked DH but I couldn't wait!). It's pretty easy to take out of the box. If you pick it up by the handle with your right hand and wrap your left arm under the throat in the center, it is easier to carry. Don't move the box all by yourself. It's too big and awkward.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 30th, 2014, 06:59 PM
I opened the box in the dining room and put the machine on the table. So I was only bending once to get to the machine. Then I carried just the machine upstairs (yeah, I could have waited and asked DH but I couldn't wait!). It's pretty easy to take out of the box. If you pick it up by the handle with your right hand and wrap your left arm under the throat in the center, it is easier to carry. Don't move the box all by yourself. It's too big and awkward.

Did it come with an extension table?

RiverMomm
December 30th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Did it come with an extension table?

Yes it did, but I won't be using it. Larry cut the opening in my sewing machine cabinet so it fits into that instead.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 30th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Now Jean,,, i'll bet it not the weight you worried about... where the heck will it sit?? LOL
I'm guessing you have a nice big house right!!!!
I moved the embroidery machine to a new perch, and have cleared off a very old but quite functional sewing cabinet for this machine. My daughter took my treadmill ( dust and all) with her when she left Sunday, so now I have a space for another machine and table. I need to get a dedicated table for it, which costs more than the machine! Need to save up for that!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 30th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Yes it did, but I won't be using it. Larry cut the opening in my sewing machine cabinet so it fits into that instead.
That is so cool! Take a picture and let us see the new kid on the block!

Sandy Navas
December 30th, 2014, 08:44 PM
You gals are having waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much fun!!

Live to Quilt
December 30th, 2014, 09:04 PM
So happy Santa was so good to you congrats and enjoy

Jean Anne

Bratbear
December 30th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Congratulations!!!!! Enjoy your new toy. I get all giddy every time a story about a new machine is told. One day I will be sharing the exciting story about a new machine. Until then, I share the excited feeling you all get when they arrive.

Madeforyouinma11
December 30th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Congratulations on the new machine! Wow, this was the year for many getting new machines. Hope everyone enjoys them! :)

RiverMomm
December 30th, 2014, 10:07 PM
I wasn't totally in the market for a new machine. It was on my wish list but I knew I couldn't afford a big upgrade. Then Amazon showed me a price I just couldn't refuse. (Amazon did the same thing for Jean).

I think I got a very good machine for a very good price.

Carlie Wolf
December 30th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Congratulations! I got mine today too and have started playing after a long nap. The wait just knocked me out LOL