PDA

View Full Version : Sunday After Chrstmas Slump

MayinJerset
December 28th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Kind of dragging this morning but another cup of coffee should get me going. Going to cut up the last of the Rainbow cookies for DS#3 and family. Cookies have a thin chocolate layer on top and by now I'm all chocolate out after sampling some of the many chocolates gifts we've received, chocolates after Christmas Eve and Christmas day's dinners as well as some at DGD C's bridal shower yesterday afternoon. DGD M's gift of fresh fruit is what I'll be eating today.

How are all of you doing after the holiday feasting?

aliaslaceygreen
December 28th, 2014, 10:08 AM
I am heading to work. Surprise.

But, it is a relief to know that we got everyone their Christmas gifts on time (except for the REALLY.IRRITATING.MAN, who gave me a hard time about our estimate of due date because HE was too cheap to come in earlier, blah, blah...and I got his orders--difficult ones, too, completed a day EARLY and he FORGOT to pick them up before Christmas.) Sigh.

Overall, Christmas was fabulous for us! Laylabug had 5 Christmases so far, and Santa left a few things here that she will discover tonight, so....

Have a great day, all!!!

cmhquilter
December 28th, 2014, 10:10 AM
I'm ready to eat normal again...and get back on track exercising. Think the christmas decorations are coming down today. Can't wait to get sewing again. I've been too busy this month to sew much.

kimsophia
December 28th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Are we supposed to stop feasting? lol I cooked up some butternut squash soup tonight. It's easy to cool out on the deck when it's 16 degrees F out. :P I also dinked around planning my Kaffe Fassett quilt backing. I'm going with this: Kaffe Fassett GP67-Red Fabric - QuiltHome (http://quilthome.com/product_info.php/products_id/3745?gclid=CLa5zdbq6MICFapDMgod4m0Alw)
But is it bright enough? :D

Bubby
December 28th, 2014, 10:29 AM
I've seen my last bite of chocolate for a while, too. Too much of a good thing isn't too good for us, especially when we are getting older. DD sent us a large box of See's chocolates (my favorites) and they are almost gone.

I'm excited about my sewing plans for 2015 and can't wait to get started. Last year after the holidays I went into a huge slump that took a while to climb out of. This year I will have my new machine and it should be really fun.

Thank you, May, for the darling Night Owl card!! I'm just an occasional night owl. I should start an Early Bird group!

Wishing everyone a good Sunday.

Juliet Taylor
December 28th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Today is kinda of resting day... I need it after the worst nightmare of my entire life, I was shaking when I woke up and I hope I'll never ever have to dream such horror.

Anyway tomorrow is my DH's husband, he doesn't like fancy stuff so we'll keep it simple and it will be just the two of us. Plus a couple of friends let us know yesterday they'll be here for the 31st and I'm really happy about it! So... it's definitely time to do some chores in the house and decide what to do for lunch. For dinner my DH is going to take care with take away :P we're simple in our taste PLUS I'm working 4 hrs in the morning and probably 4 in the afternoon the day of 31st so I don't have that much time to prepare that much. I'll bake a cake or some sweet treats!

pcbatiks
December 28th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Good morning everyone. Bubby, I hope you have a great time with your new machine. I was in a sewing slump most of this year.....planning to change that for 2015!

Am I old enough to be sore from painting a small utility room? Please don't answer that. :D I already know the answer.......apparently I am old enough. One more coat of paint today. Hopefully, we will have new floor in the kitchen & utility room by the end of the day tomorrow.

I'm trying to do some more cleaning today so that I can start sewing again once the kitchen project is finished.

Hope you all have a great day!

Grandma Nan
December 28th, 2014, 10:41 AM
I think I'm in a bit of a slump today too. Not sure what to do, so I'm just sitting drinking coffee-not that that isn't a good Sunday morning activity. I do have 2 hockey games to attend later today but motivation is really low right now. I need to get the decorations down I think. At some point (like now) it starts to look like the house is getting cluttered with stuff so I have to get back to my more zen environment. I can't stand clutter, even having a Christmas tablecloth on the dining room table bugs me. I like the bare table look. Before Christmas it is festive but now its clutter and time to go away for another year.

I am very anxious to get back to normal so I can sew. We have been a semi construction zone for over a month now and I am getting tired of it. Everywhere you look there is dust. My sewing stuff is in a large pile in the bedroom waiting for the sewing room. I can't find anything I need. Grrrr. But I know it will be worth it in the end. I find the contractor is not very realistic about how long anything will take to complete but I am hoping they will be done in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for letting me rant. I am getting impatient having tarps on the floor and dust everywhere.

I hope everyone has a good Sunday and as Blondie would say "smile folksies"

irishrn
December 28th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Good morning all!
I was up at 7 but I have no zip whatsoever!!!
I need to get up and out to pick up meds at the pharmacy but I'm still sitting here, on my 3rd cup of tea and not moving very fast!!
I don't get an after holiday let down, I'm more relieved it's over. But I just don't have any energy.
I slept OK, but perhaps a shower will get me more alert!
Funny how some days as just blah. Yesterday I was retired 1year and I don't really feel like I accomplished a lot.
Hopefully 2015 is my year to get the things done: like painting the kitchen and dining room the colors I picked out in August!
So I hope everyone has a good Sunday and enjoys the days we have left in 14 because 15 is right around the corner!!

Ginny B
December 28th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Good morning. Today is going to be busy. It's dh's birthday and we are heading over this morning to celebrate with his daughters, son-in-laws and grandsons. We are doing Christmas with them too. Then we will head back home and spend the last few hours visiting with ds and dil before we have to take them back to the airport this evening. We had another great family day yesterday. I made lasagna for dinner and my sister and her boyfriend came over and joined us. It is great having my boys here. I miss having my youngest too though. It's going to be hard when they all leave. But I will just start working on the list of what I want to make for the new grand baby and plan my trip to CA after the baby arrives.

Gotta get moving. Have a great day

Sandy Navas
December 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Oh, Nan! Having lived through a major remodeling that was to take a month or two and wound up to be over five - guess who has a whole lot of empathy for you? And, you are right. It will definitely be worth it in the end. That plasterboard dust is the worst.

Got up to some frost on the punkin' this morning. Brrr. They had predicted a 'dusting of snow' but it appears the snow clouds didn't get the message. May I hear a YEAH?

Hoping to finish the binding on Sam I Am and deliver it today. Al finished the quilting on the Rubber Ducky quilt yesterday so I need to trim that up and bind it, too. I started sewing all the scrap triangles (from the snowball effect on my Aunt Clara's quilt) together. Not sure how many I will be able to get put together into a quilt. If it is too small for a kids' quilt I think I have a few more scraps I can add to the sides and I've already made a binding from some other scraps.

share60
December 28th, 2014, 11:17 AM
We have feasted for 3 days and have heaps of Rib eye beef,christmas cake and christmas pud to finish off and the left overs from all the(gifts of sweetmeats)coconut ice,white xmas,rocky road and and biscuits.So most be heading for the freezer today,Do you also over cater?Its fresh fruit yogurt and coffee for me for the next few days.
the weather in Perth is hot and even hotter on Tuesday a glorious 39degrees!!
May 2015 be all that you wish yourselves and morexxxx

Racing Nana
December 28th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Hopefully I won't have to gobble any more turkey for quite a while. I'm done and so is the waistband in my pants.
We still have about 4 more boxes of chocolates to get through. Nice thing is I'm too old to get pimples anymore from over-indulgence.

Back to work tomorrow....uuugh....but it will be fun doing the commute with my new car I picked up yesterday.

Have been reading the owner's manual since about 4 this morning and it's quite intimidating. All these electronic things and voice activated phone stuff and telling the car what kind of music I want to listen to. OMG, I will probably end up in the ditch just trying to turn the wipers on.

Anyways if you all don't hear from me for a while it's because I'm still in the driveway trying to figure out the blasted car.

toggpine
December 28th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Congrats on the new car Lynn! I swear we are going to need a computer degree to get them started before long.

Christmas clutter has added to the other clutter around here. AND Hubby is home until the Monday after New Years. Which means any and every flat surface that is not already covered is fair game for anything he happens to have in his hands.
I am not the best at keeping everything in it's place, I will freely admit that. I have been working on that for 2014 as part of my "Less" campaign. Less clutter = less stuff to dust = less housework. See how that works? Yeah. We have boxes that were placed in the living room when we moved in over 10 years ago. They have turned into furniture. I have about had it. They are boxes of music, and possibly video games, or who really knows. We have several lovely end tables out in the shop from his grandparents home that would look so much better than cardboard boxes....
Ugh! OK. I'll be done with that.

On the brighter side! I did get the Big Foot darning foot on my machine and was able to free-motion practice a bit. It is going to take some time to get the motions really smooth, but it's going fairly well.

I'm going to go refill the coffee cup and do some tidying up before we have company later this morning.

Big hugs and many smiles for my quilty friends today!
Cathy

Carrie J
December 28th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Good Morning all, fast pass thru today.......coffee done, waiting for breakfast casserole to get finished. Once breakfast is over, going to visit BFF for a relaxed afternoon chat, complete with tea and scones. Holiday meal, nope didn't do that, kids won't be here til next weekend, then it will be BBQ. So no slump, just cruising thru what would normally be a hectic Holiday Season. Works for me! Cold, dreary here, yesterday it was cold AND rain.......so sewing was the main entertainment. Hard job, but someone had to do it, lol! Will heat up the cabbage and beef soup for dinner, then freeze the rest, fit the weather just perfect. Hugs n Blessings to all, especially those that need them.

buckeyequilter
December 28th, 2014, 01:14 PM
We are having another Christmas today (and a birthday)......just sandwiches, chips and cookies. It will be fun watching the little ones open their gifts (1, 4 and 8). My grandkids are 11, 13 and 16....so they are too cool to have fun :)

Then I have to get back to normal (whatever normal is) and do some laundry. I go back to work tomorrow, work 2 days and then off until Jan. 5.

Well need to get off here and get moving....have a wonderful day!

Cathy F
December 28th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Have fun reading the owners manual! I'm in the same position. DH bought me a new car for my birthday I've had it about 4 wweks and I was really intimidated to drive it! It has the voice activated commands and I failed, the person on the computer reprimanded me and told me to wait 2seconds after she says "command" before I speak! It does get better, I've got about half of it figured out now, and for anything I don't know I press the on- star button and ask them!

Hopefully I won't have to gobble any more turkey for quite a while. I'm done and so is the waistband in my pants.
We still have about 4 more boxes of chocolates to get through. Nice thing is I'm too old to get pimples anymore from over-indulgence.

Back to work tomorrow....uuugh....but it will be fun doing the commute with my new car I picked up yesterday.

Have been reading the owner's manual since about 4 this morning and it's quite intimidating. All these electronic things and voice activated phone stuff and telling the car what kind of music I want to listen to. OMG, I will probably end up in the ditch just trying to turn the wipers on.

Anyways if you all don't hear from me for a while it's because I'm still in the driveway trying to figure out the blasted car.

Sonic
December 28th, 2014, 02:15 PM
There was two days of sunshine in a row here yesterday and the day before, which is very unusual this time of year here, plus some 50 degree temps so I was a busy outside person soaking up the sun like a lizard on a warm rock while finishing the hard winter prep around the farm.
Probably won't see the sun again for at least another month so I desperately needed that. Colder, wet snow, and drizzle here toady, but I'm glad our Christmas is over and I can go back to doing what I do best...trying to play catch up on the "to-do" list.

Cathy, your place and my place are more alike than you know..... *cough* box end table *cough* ...lol
When I bought my place it wasn't a farm yet plus it needed fixing and upgrades....and it still does. I'm doing nearly all the work myself in my "spare time" which of course is nill. But it's getting there. I had to move across country from OR to here some years ago and could not afford to have my furniture shipped, so I packed up my cherished and non replaceable items and sold the rest.
It's taken much longer than I thought it would to acquire more furniture as the budget has been tight, but in the mean time it's given me extra space to work on the house (older house) and I've become pretty good at doing furniture make overs and up-cycles. As I finish one room, I get to put the "new" pieces in and decorate...then on to the next room. Wash, rinse, repeat. :D

So anyway...as soon as school starts again it's back to fixing, patching, sanding, painting, remodeling, bla...bla...bla...
I use sewing as my carrot. If I can accomplish at least 4 big things on the mile long to do list, I get to play with fabric as my reward.

Kgrammiecaz
December 28th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Are we supposed to stop feasting? lol I cooked up some butternut squash soup tonight. It's easy to cool out on the deck when it's 16 degrees F out. :P I also dinked around planning my Kaffe Fassett quilt backing. I'm going with this: Kaffe Fassett GP67-Red Fabric - QuiltHome (http://quilthome.com/product_info.php/products_id/3745?gclid=CLa5zdbq6MICFapDMgod4m0Alw)
But is it bright enough? :D

I would say yes! Great design and colors.

cyndiofthevortex
December 28th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I jumped out of bed this morning, dragged DH out with me and made him take me to a nearby clinic. Poor guy. I didn't even let him shower or eat! I felt so terrible I just cried and cried! (Now, I've had six kids naturally, so DH knows if I'm crying I must be in real pain.) It turns out I just have a bladder infection, no big deal and easily taken care of with antibiotics. Thank goodness for antibiotics!

I am so sick of French meat pie, macaroni and cheese (covered with lots of bacon) and ham. I hosted two separate Christmas luncheons so I made a ton of food and there's a lot left. It's better to have too much food for guests than not enough, right? After yesterday's party I tried to give most of it away and was only partially successful. Everyone else has too much food at their house, too!

I want my sewing room back, so today the Christmas things get put away and all the boxes that have been temporarily stored in my sewing room will be put back up in the attic where they belong. See you all in early December, lovely Christmas things!

bscuzz
December 28th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I've seen my last bite of chocolate for a while, too. Too much of a good thing isn't too good for us, especially when we are getting older. DD sent us a large box of See's chocolates (my favorites) and they are almost gone.
Wishing everyone a good Sunday.

Bubby, your comment about your favorite See's chocolates made me just have to share my funny "Sees" story! My DD, knowing how much I luv, luv, luv Sees chocolates, had called and ordered 2 1# boxes for my Christmas gift, one of which is a special order of all 'Butterscotch Squares' to which I am totally addicted!! It seems when the order arrived (they must have separated it) she only got the 1# mixed. The 1# BSs hadn't come and it was getting close to Christmas, so she called Sees and they arranged to send out the special order of BSs for quick delivery. Well, what then happened was she got a carton with 16, I repeat 16 1# boxes of the BSs!!!! Another phone call to Sees to find they could not be sent back, something about Sees' policy of not allowing returns - so basically she was told to keep the order, no charge, simply "Merry Christmas" from Sees!!

Now in the meantime I had seen my Dr. who told me to 'cut way down on carbs and sugar to ward off any chance of diabetes - which I shared with DD. Now she's in a dilemma not knowing what to do just days before Christmas and having 16 #'s of 'Butterscotch Squares' :icon_surprised: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_shake: . . . . . and wishing she had chosen a different gift!

When we visited on Christmas Eve she couldn't help sharing the whole unbelievably funny story with me even though she knew I would be 'mourning the loss of the BSs' and maybe even telling her I was lying about what the Dr. said!?!?!? Well she actually did give me a box with instructions from MM to ration me to 2 pcs. per day, then as I had tears of loss she said she would be 'handing out boxes of MY candy' to her guests and take whatever was left to a local nursing home for the folks who were able to eat MY candy!!!! :icon_cry: :icon_angry: :icon_sniff:

As for me, I am 'savoring my 2 pcs. per day and having dreams about other 'old people' eatin' my chocolates!?!?!? :icon_slap: Guess I'll just have to get busy quilting to take my mind off MY chocolates!!!

Amy R
December 28th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Lol. I am sipping on some hair of the dog at the moment. Big girls had a sleepover at their aunts so we got a little drink on. Was nice to unwind a little with the hubs. We have been stressed and distant lately.
Goal today is to watch football and get the baby quilt pieced.
Found this on fb lol96026

auntiemern
December 28th, 2014, 03:59 PM
No energy doesn't begin to describe it. The full blown attack of a uri, along with a major copd exacerbation, hit me full force 2 daysbefore Christmas. DD came to the rescue Christmas eve. She did all the cooking for the get together with the step kids. Even made the house presentable. We still spent the night at her new house, so we would be there when the kids got up to Santa's bounty. As soon as that was done dh took me home, and put me to bed. That is where I have been since. Last night I thought I felt well enough to look after the kids while dh took apart the shed at dd's old place. Wrong. I will survive til I get home, and back in bed.
The only good thing out of any of this, is I have had no appetite to eat all the goodies.

Amy R
December 28th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Awww Marilyn hope you feel better soon. :(

Cathy F
December 28th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Marilyn, hope you're up and about and feeling better soon..!

Racing Nana
December 28th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Oh Cathy F, you are toooo funny.
I tried to read your post to my DH but I was laughing so hard he had to read it himself.

At least you have OnStar.
I have "Pull over to the side of the road before you do some serious damage"

And yes, we will get there....one day....hopefully

tobeysmama
December 28th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I am among those who wish for a better 2015. I need to do much more than I accomplished this year !! Big job. Hope you all have a more energetic Monday.

Dollyquilts
December 28th, 2014, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=toggpine;654454]Congrats on the new car Lynn! I swear we are going to need a computer degree to get them started before long.

You're right, Cathy. My daughter and SIL had to go to the Acura dealer and take a class on how to operate her MDX a while back.

share60
December 29th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Safe and happy driving enjoy your new baby!!!!!xxxx

mommamarsh
December 29th, 2014, 03:30 AM
Marilyn , hope you feel better soon . New car folks , oh my , I hope they come out with a "New Car for Dummies " before I have to look for a new ride ! Glad that they offer classes !