PDA

View Full Version : nor quilting but you all know so much perhaps you know this

Claire Hallman
December 27th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I accidently left a pot on the stove with cloves, cinnamon sticks, and orange sections in water for the whole day. We went to my sister's and I forgot it was on simmer.:icon_rolleyes:
Needless to say it burned to the pot bottom. :(
I have soaked it with water then with ammonia and it still looks awful. Does anyone have a suggestion to save this stainless 45 year old pot?
It is a favorite of mine and I hate to lose it.

Granny Fran
December 27th, 2014, 02:38 PM
A paste of baking soda to scrub it? Or barkeepers (I think that is the name)?

Dollyquilts
December 27th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Claire, bring some water to a boil in it and put baking soda in it and the burned on stuff will start floating to the top. All is not lost. If that doesn't work, put a layer of water in the pot and put a thick layer of dishwasher detergent covering the bottom. Glad you didn't have any more serious repercussions.

Dolly

Carolyn
December 27th, 2014, 02:47 PM
At the hardware store or Lowes, Home Depot, etc., you should find sanding sponges. These are about 4"x6" and 1/4" thick. Purchase the ones for glass. I believe they are 320 grit. These are what I use for my stainless steel. Works very well for removing burnt items from the bottom of pans and should work just fine for the inside. I also use them when the pans start to look a little white inside or I just want to spruce them up a bit. Some times I cut them into squares so they last longer or I only want to use it on certain pans. Like the dog bowl.

kaydee
December 27th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Bar Keepers Friend.

I love that stuff. I use the powder. I'm not as found of the liquid.

When my kids got their own college apartments, I bought many pots and pans at garage sales. I used Bar Keepers Friend, and they all came out like new. That stuff is amazing. It might take some work, but I think you can get it off your pan with this stuff.

shirleyknot
December 27th, 2014, 03:20 PM
The easy way is to spray it with oven cleaner and heat it in the oven. Remove handles first, if they aren't oven proof.

Carlie Wolf
December 27th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I was going to suggest baking soda too. That barkeep stuff seems to be mentioned a lot of places. It's something I'll need to try sometime. Not sure where you get it though LOL

bubba
December 27th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I recently burned a pan really bad and MM took it out to the garage and took a metal wire brush to it that hooks into the drill. Came out looking like new! Of course, if it is a pan w/any kind of Teflon finish, you can't do that. My mom used to put her pans in the oven w/the oven cleaning cycle turned on.

Marcine
December 27th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I always put the cinnamon and cloves with water in the microwave. Makes the microwave and the house smell good, and helps me not burn anymore pans. I ordered two new ones last time just in case. Ha!
Good luck!
Marcine

Claire Hallman
December 27th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the baking soda boil but only had it of success, the pot sides are better. I did a bit of scrubbing with a brillo pad. not much luck with that. I will try the dishwasher soap shortly and then buy some bartender's friend if it still needs more. Our only wire wheel is too big to fit into the pot.
I will keep you posted. MY DH said we could afford a new pot but I have had this one so long and it is perfect for a few things I cook so woud like to rescue it if possible.

bubba
December 27th, 2014, 05:23 PM
If all else fails, spray it with Easy Off and leave it in a garbage bag over night.

Learner quilter
December 27th, 2014, 05:32 PM
I use cheap brand cola. Put a small amount in the pan and boil.. Then scrub.... Hope you save your pan.. X

Dollyquilts
December 27th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Claire,

Keep trying. A favorite pot is worth its weight in gold. We are still using Club Aluminum pots that are over 50 years old.

MartinaG
December 27th, 2014, 06:33 PM
The easy way is to spray it with oven cleaner and heat it in the oven. Remove handles first, if they aren't oven proof.
That's what my MIL had to do to one of hers. That and a lot of elbow grease.

RiverMomm
December 27th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Hot water and dishwasher detergent (the stuff that you put in the dishwasher) in the pot. Leave overnight. Do it again if needed. I have save several pots this way. ALWAYS works.

Claire Hallman
December 27th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Hot water and dishwasher detergent (the stuff that you put in the dishwasher) in the pot. Leave overnight. Do it again if needed. I have save several pots this way. ALWAYS works.

The soda helped a little, perhaps a good bit since the burned on stuff was fairly thick. It is now soaking with dishwasher detergent.
I do think I will eventually get it all off.
I will need to go to the store for the next experiment if this doesn't do it.

EDIT: I am so glad I didn't burn down the house.:(

Sandy Navas
December 27th, 2014, 07:34 PM
You know, Claire, Dawn used to make something called Power Dissolve (they quit making it because it WORKED). When I contacted them they told me to 'try Dawn Platinum - and I've used it successfully on some burned on things - don't give up on your favorite pot (BTDT).

Grandma Nan
December 27th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Claire you could try some vinegar in the water when you are boiling. I have had some luck with that plus the BarKeeper's Friend is a must in every cupboard. I use the liquid but I did see someone on here say the powder is better. I guess I should look for some powdered. But give it a try.
I am so happy it didnt burn your house..

Vonnie
December 27th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Here's another cleaner that is similar to Barkeepers Friend: Bon Ami (http://www.bonami.com/)

In case you can't find Barkeepers.

Pandabear
December 27th, 2014, 08:20 PM
As others have said, Barkeep's Friend is what I would use.

As in clicked the General chit-chat tab to see what's new the thread titles lined up like this:

Spam is not funny!
Nor quilting but perhaps etc....
Happy Saturday!

It made me chuckle.

mommamarsh
December 27th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Pumie Scouring Stick : Can't remember what got burned in pan , but I tried everything and saw this at Walmart or Lowes and thought why not . It took some effort , but all of the gunk came off . Still using that pot , and have 3/4 of the stick stored under sink,
just in case !

lourixe
December 27th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Boiling vinegar ot bleach works well for burnt or stained enamelled pans, but I think this trick should not be used with stainless steel pans.

ravelim
December 27th, 2014, 10:24 PM
I was going to suggest baking soda too. That barkeep stuff seems to be mentioned a lot of places. It's something I'll need to try sometime. Not sure where you get it though LOL

Grocery store.

grannyann
December 27th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Bar Keepers Friend. Try that but use your finger wet to rub it on the pan. I have burned my Salad master pans a time or two and have had them over 30 years . Try it and see if it helps.

Pandabear
December 27th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Bar Keepers Friend. Try that but use your finger wet to rub it on the pan. I have burned my Salad master pans a time or two and have had them over 30 years . Try it and see if it helps.

I use a wet paper towel when using Bar Keeper's friend.

Also, I didn't like the liquid version of it. The powder is the only type I'll use.

bakermom
December 27th, 2014, 11:27 PM
we have boiled vinegar then added baking soda. It usually causes whatever is burned on to peel right off

FabStripper
December 28th, 2014, 02:25 AM
I like Barkeeper's Friend because it doesn't scratch and doesn't break my arm to use it. I use a soft dishrag and not a scrub pad. The soft dishrag that is damp with the Barkeeper's Friend does the trick every time for me. I find it at Wallmart and even just saw it at Lowe's for the same price. At Wallmart it is in the cleaning supply row near the Comet cleanser and at Lowe's it was up on the top shelf of cleaning supplies at the front of the store by the cashiers.

Carlie Wolf
December 28th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Grocery store.

Thank you. It's now on my list for when I go grocery shopping next week :-)

bubba
December 28th, 2014, 01:40 PM
We got ours at Safeway, the grocery store. I'm sure they carry it about everywhere. When we bought it, it was to use on our old stove, which was a glass cooktop model. It worked great on that!!

jjkaiser
December 28th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Yes. Barkeeper's Friend powder. I am never without it. It is amazing stuff. I have 40 year old stainless pots with copper bottoms (Revere Ware) and they look like new. Husband burned cream of wheat numerous times, made with milk, and every burned on scorched flake came off. Just use lots of really hot water. You don't want a real thick paste and use a regular kitchen sponge with a scrubbie side. I think a wire brush would scratch the hell out of your pan. And you might need to repeat more than once if it is really bad.

Claire Hallman
December 28th, 2014, 02:25 PM
It worked, it worked. The dishwasher soap plus Dawn soaked overnight and the crud was gone this morning.
I am so glad I didn't give up and got all your helpful advice.
Thanks bunches

Mpyles
December 29th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Pancake batter.....I know sounds crazy...but it's what we use to clean the sides if our grills at work..but some in there and let it "cook" to dry...don't burn it..haha...then scrape it out.

Sandy Navas
December 29th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Pancake batter.....I know sounds crazy...but it's what we use to clean the sides if our grills at work..but some in there and let it "cook" to dry...don't burn it..haha...then scrape it out.

Now I'm intrigued . . .

katibeth
December 30th, 2014, 04:02 AM
I've also heard vinegar & baking soda. Good luck!