PDA

View Full Version : It's Friday and Irene is coming to visit?

Blondie
August 26th, 2011, 06:48 AM

Hidey Ho, Ladies. It is Friday! Weekend is almost here!
It sounds as if Irene will be visiting some of us this weekend. Prayers for all in the path of the storm.

I don't know how many of you like baseball, but, I love baseball and football. I don't care who plays - I love to go to high school games and little league. Hubs and I have been watching the Little League World Series. Since we have no horse in the race, we just enjoy watching the kids play. I have to admit that I was cheering for Pa last night against HB,California. Told my hubs I really should cheer for both since my middle son was born in Huntington Beach, but I enjoyed the time I lived in Pennsy more than I did CA. Sigh. What's a girl to do? Ultimately, I am tickled for each team that has risen this far in standings. I can see a baseball game on a tv screen near me for the next few days.

Off to get some coffee and I think I will re heat a muffin up. Yum

Have a great day!

quilter.martha
August 26th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Looks like Irene wants to visit us on Sunday. Maybe she'll go to church with us :).

We are going to skedaddle out of here around noon to rush our daughter out to Rochester NY for her final year of school in order to not be traveling home on Sunday when the storm hits. Thankful my DH can be flexible with his job and take off early today. So a quick 1000 mile round trip--about 18 hours in the car. We caravan out--DD has way too much stuff for her little car to hold--and then home on Saturday.

Everyone in the path, be safe. I'll catch you all after it's all over.

pisceslibra
August 26th, 2011, 07:52 AM
good morning hope everyone has a great day my day is going to be filled with all whole lot a nothing lol cant wait until i can get some more fabric what i want to use and start a new quilt but until then i have to find something else to do and thoughts are with the people in the path of the Irene

oldgurl4
August 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Morning!!!

Off to work I Goooo.....:icon_bah:

Just passed by to wish you all a Good Day....

~Pisceslibra~ :icon_stunned:Can you send a "Whole lot of nothing" This way

I rather stay home and play in Sewing Room.

Stay Dry!

bambine007
August 26th, 2011, 08:19 AM
hello everyone,

baseball isn't a common sport here in germany. But I like Basketball!
Today I'am still in vacation. I put some things together and than we'll going to go to a vineyard to stay there a few days.

On Monday I have to begin my work and holidays are over.

Have a nice day all...

donnah818
August 26th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Good luck to everyone on the East coast this weekend. Irene decided to leave SC alone. Here's hoping she will be gentle with the rest of the east coast.

NM Lady
August 26th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Good morning everyone. Will be saying a prayer for all of those in the path of storms.

Well it is the first big Football game of the season for our local HS. I haven't had anyone in school since 2008, but we try to make the game when they play the big rival team.

Everyone have a good weekend. God bless and take care.

Bubby
August 26th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Good Morning Everyone, DH is off work today and we are heading out to to do maintenance at one of our rental properties. Taking little Molly (our dog child) with us since it's much cooler this morning. She's our constant companion when the weather is nice. Our hummingbirds must be filling up for their long flight back to South America. The past few days it seems like all I do is make hummer food.

Everyone stay safe and dry. Martha, so glad you can take your trip a day early and you will be back before Irene calls. Prayers for a safe and secure weekend for everyone on or near the coast. Hugs, Barb

quiltingtrish
August 26th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Happy Friday everyone!
Off to Dads today - he agreed that I better not come on Sunday with the high winds and torrents of rain they are calling for on Sunday , and we are in the middle of PA. Hopefully it will turn farther to the East and hit the ocean to spare those on the Coast.
Looks like mowing, picking tomatoes, and a trip to the store for him when I get there.
Cleaning out the paperwork around here. It's all getting burned. I have as far back as about 2004 and there is no reason to hold onto unimportant papers that long that would eventually draw those silverfish. Yeck.
Prayers coming for those in the path of the storm.
Got to scoot!

Hugs,

twnkeyes
August 26th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Morning All!

I got up late, 7:30 and now I'm behind!!! Had a terrible nights sleep due to acid reflux but oh well, will catch up tonight. Taking the car into the brake place then home to work on bindings. I have 4 quilts that need them, seems I'm behind on a bit more than I thought!

I hope all the east coasters will be safe and sound after the weekend. It doesn't look promising but with all the prayers going out I'm sure our Lord and Master will watch over you all.

Have a wonderful day and weekend!

Granny Judy
August 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Got here early enough to check out the Daily Deal...didn't get it, but did purchase a few items for a Light & Dark project.. I Love the French General stuff so picked up more of that, too.

Hoping this week end I can get the fabrics I need to finish up another project and begin some blocks for the Floral Swap. It's my first and I'm a bit excited & fearful. I ran thru my meager stash and didn't find the right combos.. I love to fabric Shop!!

Perhaps you have caught yourself doing something automatically while at the "machine".. Like put your scissors around your neck with the lanyard and forget to remove it as you head out the door? .. line up your bobbins & thread just like you do your fabric pieces? Well, I caught Myself removing my Shoe.. from the right foot, since it is the Pedal foot for me. And when the dogs started barking I ran to the door.. One shoe on, one shoe off....good thing the postman/UPS is used to seeing me in weird get ups..they don't even notice my feet..I think they are just glad I am covered up when I answer the door and not wrapped in a towel. (another story, someday)

Stay Safe and enjoy your day.. Granny

sally
August 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM
MORNIN..."YAWN". Took mama to the bus last night. She likes to travel during the night so her bus actaully left this morning at12:15 AM. Ugghh. The bus depot is an hour drive from here so I was late to bed but still get up at my usual. My DH worked afternoons so he is still snoozing.Must be nice "YAWN"...:) My prayers go out to you who may get a vist from Irene. We don't have those stroms here. I quess an eathquake or a wildfire would be our worry.
Bambine enjoy yur trip to the vineyard! Everyone hAve a fun and safe weekend. We are off to the mountians to pick huckleberries!
Hugs, Shauna

Sandy Navas
August 26th, 2011, 11:25 AM
GOOD MORNING, QUILTY FRIENDS!!

By the time I finish reading everyone's note for the day I've forgotten who started this thread (not really). I am, however, sitting here chuckling about Judy's post. I remember about a story that appeared in the Reader's Digest years ago about a woman doing laundry and deciding to throw her clothes in the washer at the last minute. Seems there was a condensation drip from one of the pipes above the washer and she'd donned her son's football helmet to keep from getting splattered. So, standing there in her wherewithal, she was shocked to see the gas meter reader show up while she was stripping down . . .

Not sure what's on the docket for today. Probably more of the 'shelling-out' game I've been playing. I brought my rug loom home from my sister's place when we were setting up the quilting machine the other day (I've not told you about that saga). So it's still in the back of my DH's truck while we decide where we're going to put it. UGH!!! I'm attempting to make some room - think it is going into the guest room since I'm not expecting company. I just may decide to sell it at a later date though. It's one of those things that I paid way too much for - especially if you look at the results of my rug-making efforts. Mighty expensive rug I have in the mud room.

The quilting machine. The installer showed as promised, worked non-stop until it was time to hook up the platform that carries the sewing machine. There were some critical parts missing. It was either go rob a unit they have set up at the store (which would entail a couple hours travel time going and coming back) and finish that day - making him leave about 10:30 at night . . . or go home, rob the parts the next day and come back on his next 'opening' (next Monday). So, we opted for him to come back. Hopefully he'll have everything that is needed and we can be up and running on the 29th. I also was 'given' the 3 foot store model set-up (frame and stand) when I bought the quilter and we are hoping I can set it up and use with one of my other machines here so I can do smaller stuff and I'll let Sis handle all the big stuff. Not sure if that's feasible, but one can dream a bit.

I'm sending safety nets to everyone in the path of Irene. Tell her GOOD NIGHT and maybe she'll fall asleep and forget what's she's up to. Hugs and prayers to everyone in need.

SuzyQue
August 26th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Prayers for all in the path of the hurricane. Prayers for oldest son and new wife in Richmond, Va. Busy day here with little to no sewing.....again. School and painting a room and a closet. I did sneak into the sewing nook to work on a new purse for me for about an hour yesterday. Pics coming when it is done.......so cute so far!!! but then I just have the 2 outside pockets pieced and quilted. Don't expect anything finished for awhile.......I am so slow with little time to play! Be safe ladies! Have a wonderful day!

quilter.martha
August 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Perhaps you have caught yourself doing something automatically while at the "machine".. Like put your scissors around your neck with the lanyard and forget to remove it as you head out the door? .. line up your bobbins & thread just like you do your fabric pieces? Well, I caught Myself removing my Shoe.. from the right foot, since it is the Pedal foot for me. And when the dogs started barking I ran to the door.. One shoe on, one shoe off....good thing the postman/UPS is used to seeing me in weird get ups..they don't even notice my feet..I think they are just glad I am covered up when I answer the door and not wrapped in a towel. (another story, someday)

Stay Safe and enjoy your day.. Granny

Judy, I also sew with my right shoe off. So much better feel for the petal that way. I find myself walking all over the house with one shoe off, one shoe on. My daughter thinks it's really funny. So now I just take both shoes off. Not bad for summertime, but come winter I'll probably find myself back with Diddle Diddle Dumpling!

Loonwatcher
August 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM
..I think they are just glad I am covered up when I answer the door and not wrapped in a towel. (another story, someday)

Judy.....:icon_heh: ...............would love to hear the towel story!

toggpine
August 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Morning All!
I had an early start to the day. It looks and feels like fall out here! The fog has rolled in. The goat girls are all getting moody ad picking fights with each other. The goat boys are thinking more about the goat girls and less about anything else. It is supposed to get to nearly 80 today.
I have a few phone calls to make and then I have to rouse the young'un so we can head in to the big city and see if the main Verizon store can fix my cell phone. Apparently the software left, according to the satellite Verizon store guy. I have no idea how it got out of my phone or where it would go, but if you see stray cell phone software please send it home.
I've been checking the weather channel on the progress of Irene too. We may get a call for deployment to assist the Humane Society of the United States or the American Humane Association with animal rescue/sheltering if she does big damage. Here is to hoping that she decides to check out the Mid-Atlantic Ocean instead of the eastern seaboard!
You all have a good day and I'll check in with ya later.
Cathy

Lisaau
August 26th, 2011, 12:05 PM
ok for a dumb aussie what is a "Diddle Diddle Dumpling????"

janluna
August 26th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Hello everyone, I slept like a baby! No, babies wake up, I slept like my husband who sleeps through everything and talks in his sleep. He woke up about 4 A.M. and I was all cuddled up in my blankets. When he returned from his nightly run to the commode and got back in bed, he said I disturbed but still was asleep. I said as clear as day, " I looove you bed!!!!! He says he didn't know if he should laugh or be insulted. He chose laughter. So I guess I talk in my sleep too. lol And I was hogging the bed. I told him pay backs are He**! lol I feel much better this morning.
Emily donned her surgical mask and has gone to her church for a Red Cross blood drive in her name. She has done 3 bone marrow transplant drives, and 4 blood drives. She talks to the people who show up and tells them about Aplastic Anemia and sells necklaces and bracelets that she has made and then donates the money to Red Cross. She is an amazing kid. Always thinking of others. That's my girl.
Prayers for all the people in line for "Irene". And for the trip Martha is making to her daughter's college. Have a safe trip both ways sweetie.
Maybe I can get to my sewing machine today and get something accomplished. That would be lovely! Love, hugs, and prayers for everyone as they go about their day, Jan L.

janluna
August 26th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Lisa, you are not a dumb Aussie. I have no idea what diddle diddle dumpling is either except for a children's Rhyme. I can't quite remember how it goes except for the lines "my son John, one shoe off and one shoe on". Since it goes with the one shoe off to sew, I'm guessing it is that. Hugs, Jan L.

Txgrandma
August 26th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Just a quick note here to wish everyone well in the path of Irene. You will all be in my prayers. Finally taking my first two quilts to the quilter today, was beginning to think her and I would never get together. After I get back from doing that I start cooking for the big rib dinner on Saturday. I'll have a houseful of adult children who eat 24 hours a day, one who's been in Iraq since February and has already told me he is more than ready for some good home cooking. He's the skinniest of them all and eats more than all of them put together. Hope everyone has a great weekend and a safe weekend. Take care, happy quilting and will be back hopefully Sunday evening to check in.

K. McEuen
August 26th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Lisa, it's not just an Aussie thing. I had no clue, had to look it up.

Diddle Diddle Dumpling

Diddle diddle dumpling, my son John
Went to bed with his breeches on,
One stocking off, and one stocking on;
Diddle diddle dumpling, my son John.

(as far as nursery rhymes go, this one is pretty bad)

patticakes
August 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hi all,
Well this thread was an interesting read today, from hurricanes to diddle, diddle dumpling! Thought I would stop by and say hello. I have had no ambition today, fell asleep watching tv last night and woke up at 6 am to find the tv off and I had moved from the chair to the couch. Don't remember a thing but it felt good to sleep a whole night!
BF is still gone to Kansas City and I am still wishing I had went so I could have met up with Sandy and we could of had some fun, kinda like this! Maybe next time!

sally
August 26th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Patti love the picture...Made my day!

Sandy Navas
August 26th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Patti, you promised you wouldn't share that picture. Glad I had clean undies on!!!!

toggpine
August 26th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I LOVE YOU GUYS! You are always there to make me smile!

sewmuchjan
August 26th, 2011, 10:54 PM
God Bless and Keep you all on the East Coast from that storm that is (from the news I have heard) coming down on you all.
Love you All and Big Hugs<<<<<>>>> from
Me

Lisaau
August 26th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Covers here virgin eyes at the sight of sandy and pattis knickers !!!!!

thanks Karen and jan ...its hard being an aussie at times ...all that sitting your head upside down ....I was really confuzzled probably because all the blood rushed to my head hahahahaha

patticakes
August 27th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Patti, you promised you wouldn't share that picture. Glad I had clean undies on!!!!

I'm just grateful you wore some! hee hee!

toggpine
August 27th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I just came from watching our community fire department working on putting out a two story garage fire at our pastor's house. He and his neighbors kept the flames & embers from jumping to the house while the department got there. It looks like the garage will be a total loss. The family is safe, their animals are safe, the house is fine, if a bit smokey.
I was never so glad to have voted "yes" on the last fire levy. Hard to believe that there was a fire commissioner who was actually AGAINST funding for the department. Those guys were awesome. Sadly, one worked himself too hard and had to have some assistance. He wouldn't take help from me until I assured him I had my certs in first-aid/CPR and training from FEMA. (Dude, if I am an untrained person and I can see you need help, you have to be pretty bad and should take whatever help I can offer.) I was on my way over to help update the vaccinations on the family's livestock when the fire department blew by me.
So a few prayers of thanks for the family's safety and the bravery of the crews of first responders who boldly go to the aid of people they don't even know. I am sure there will be many on the scenes with Irene that can use our support too.

janluna
August 27th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Oh you guys are so funny. We got people sitting upside down and ladies showing their underclothes. Boy, could we all get together and get arrested or what!?! We could terrorize any town we decided to descend upon. What fun that would be! And of course it would have to be Hamilton, MO. What fun! Maybe I shouldn't use the word Terrorize that could be misconstrued.
Oh well. We've been vetted as our boys both went to work for government jobs at one time. They investigated everything about us, including how many times our great grandfathers sneezed on their second birthdays. They already know the Luna's are crazy, but harmless. They both got hired anyway.
Well, good night my wonderful friends. I love you all and prayers for all those in line for Irene. Also healing for all those who need it. Sweet Dreams to you all, Jan L.

janluna
August 27th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Cathy, we must have written at the same time. Good job on taking care of the firefighter. That's why I became a firefighter and an EMT. We are the dumb ones that rush into the burning buildings and crawl under a 540 volt main downed line to get to a car accident victim. I did that once. Boy did I get in trouble for that one. I was young and stupid and a little old lady was really hurt and having chest pain. I was also the skinniest person to go under the line without hitting it. You do what you got to do. Right Cathy? Thanks for your help for a fellow firefighter. Heart attacks are one of the number one killers for them. They wear 65 pounds of fire gear, that's before the air tank go on their backs. They have gained too much weight from all the fire house chow and then they go into intense situations and wonder why they have trouble breathing and having chest pain. I remember well. Hugs, Jan P.S. I loved it!!!

toggpine
August 27th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Jan, I think he was working on a good case of heat exhaustion. His face was flushed, a bit disoriented, and he was weaving a bit. His tank was sounding the alarm for no more air. I think he had been one of the ones at the top of the ladder. It was in the 70's so that didn't help either. Actually our guys & gals are really pretty fit. There were only two that qualified as "fat", and everybody passed their stress tests. The "chubby" ones are in administration
The obnoxious Fire Commissioner tried to convince the district that the firefighters & EMTs were all overweight, out of shape, alcoholic, druggies, or worse. So all of the records have been aired and they are fine, hard-working citizens. Most of them live in the communities they serve, so we know them. He had some grand plan to destroy the department and then hire in a corporate fire service. Great! Mc FireDepartment! "You-want-fries-with-that" kind of service did not appeal to the citizens so we ousted him and his henchmen at the last election. Ha! Take that!
I was a bit concerned for the over-heated guy. I started to help him and apparently the safety-officer realized that he should send over of the medics if the by-standers are thinking about needing to offer first-aid to one of the crew! When I left he was being taken care of by the neighboring district's medic team.
These men and women do a lot of good in dangerous places. A ton of thanks to you Jan, and your fellow first-responders! We'll help when ever we can.

Lisaau
August 27th, 2011, 04:58 AM
I'm just grateful you wore some! hee hee!

ooh lordy Lordy the thought of that happening.covers her eyes.Jan l think we could paint anywhere red ....and I prefer terrorzie....but l know what you mean ...

mamaquilt
August 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM
ok for a dumb aussie what is a "Diddle Diddle Dumpling????"
the same for a dumb European, or maybe I should read the rest of the answers on this threads?

quilter.martha
August 28th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Hey all: I had no idea what I would start when I mentioned diddle diddle dumpling! It's an old nursery rhyme:

Went to bed with his stockings on
One shoe off and one shoe on

I was referring to the one shoe off and one shoe on part of sewing with you peddle foot barefooted.