PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Nummys

toggpine
December 27th, 2014, 06:06 AM
I just made a batch of chocolate spritz cookies. Oh my!

They taste very much like the chocolate cookie part of an oreo. I can't eat many of them, but they do seem to take care of the chocolate craving I was having. Spritz cookies are always a favorite at Christmas, and now I'll have to make these too.

I didn't get any sewing done today. I did get three batches of banana bread/muffins made. Two batches of the spritz and dinner made. All but one load of laundry is done. More Christmas gifts were put away. I even snuck in a 20 minute nap on the couch with Emily's new elephant. (She even covered me up with her blanket.)

We are a little concerned, My aunt is in the hospital with two bleeding ulcers. They are watching her blood counts. If they fall any lower she will have to have a transfusion. Not liking the sound of that. Our Christmas with them is obviously on hold until she feels better. I'm going to have to freeze these cookies, or hubby will eat them all before we get together.

My question for any of you checking out the Night Owl Tree - Did you try any new dishes the last week or so that you will be making again? Any that were on the 'No Fly' list?

Kgrammiecaz
December 27th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Just got to love a good cookie and a good nap. Sorry to hear about your aunts health troubles. Prayers for a speedy recovery. I am not a baker of goodies. My daughter loves to make anything that screams calories, but they are soooo good. We had light meals for Christmas this year. And just picked on some of the candy gifts.

Cathy F
December 27th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Hope your aunt's health makes a complete recovery.
I did try 2 new recipes this Christmas. The first was for a roast pork. I made a paste out of olive oil, garlic, fresh rosemary, onion, salt and pepper. Was very tasty, I rubbed it all over the pork and let it marinate for about an hour and a half. In the bottom of the roasting pan I sliced an onion, put about a cup of chicken stock, and a cup of white wine put the pork on a rack in the pan and let it cook, adding more stock and wine as needed. It made a nice gravy when thickened.
Second new recipe was for an almond cranberry, dark chocolate biscotti. Very good reviews from the family. They've been eating them with their morning coffee, dunking them away!
Haven't been in the sewing room since Christmas hoping to get in their today and do a good cleaning of the Christmas frenzy that took place in there. Want to start off the new year on a clean foot in there!

MayinJerset
December 27th, 2014, 07:10 AM
This Night Owl was food and goodied out at the end of Christmas Day and very tired too so today I rested and napped the day away with very light meals and just a cookie for two with tea around 4pm. A few bits of chocolates found their way to my mouth also, a gal needs a sugar boost every once in awhile. My biggest activity today was to wrap gift for DGD's bridal shower. DH didn't do much either and he was on his own for meals, good thing there were leftovers in the fridge.

Almost 5am and I've been up for an hour with a cup of tea and have to get some more sleep as today will be a busy one. Around noon I'll be taking off for DGD's bridal shower scheduled for1pm.

Cathy those chocolate spritz cookies sound wonderful - I love the Oreo chocolate cookies all by themselves as I removed the center because I find it too sweet. I did try a new dish for Christmas dinner. I was asked to bring a green veggie and made petite peas and pearl onions in a light cream sauce. Everyone gave it a thumbs up so it will be added to our list of holiday foods.

Hope your Aunt is better. DH had a bleeding ulcer a few years ago caused by the meds he was taking, ended up in hospital for a few days and was good to go after 2 transfusions.

Juliet Taylor
December 27th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I hope your Aunt will have a fully recover soon :)

This day should be a working day but two months ago I asked the day off thinking we'll go somewhere but we are just to tired and we'll stay at home! This morning I went out at 9.30 AM to buy eggs to try a whole new recipe for me, they are called "krapfen" and they're very similar to donuts but no whole in the middle. We are craving to try this recipe!!

I also went to a quilt shop and it was closed! Darn! so I went to another one I really like 'cause they have a lot of fabrics with cute designs (especially music-themed that I'll need for a future project) and I would buy everything they have... I behaved myself and bought only two pieces of fabrics and only because I needed it!!!

For lunch I'll try gnocchi for the first time! I'll let you know how did it go :D

Here it's 11.27 AM btw :P I'm a fake Night Owl LOL

kimsophia
December 27th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Toggpine, add my prayers to the list for your aunt's health.

Since the Christmas dinner around here is pretty bland, DH rubbed oil on the skinless breast and sprinkled it with lemon pepper, which added a bit of zip to some bites. I have a system down to make up our holiday meal in an hour, although it requires peeling and quartering the potatoes the night before. So I bang out everything in the oven and on the stovetop: turkey breast, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, Stovetop stuffing and gravy from a jar. :) Oh, DH opens the can of cranberry jelly and slices it into nice circles and arranges it on a plate--another of his jobs is to pull out that chicken breast and take its temperature :)

Sandy Navas
December 27th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I could never claim being a night owl, but since DeeOGee woke us twice in the middle of the night to protect us (his imagination) then I do pop in and see what's up in the night tree (as opposed to the night train . . . )

Wanted to let Cathy know I put her aunt on my list of those needing special prayers!!

toggpine
December 27th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Thank you all for the prayers/good thoughts for my aunt. She will appreciate them. From the sounds of things, she is in good hands, both at the hospital and in your prayers!

The pork roast sounds very tasty! I bet the gravy from it was delicious too.
KimSophia, are your meals bland for a health/medical reason or just because? I have found that the Mrs. Dash seasoning blend is very nice as a spice rub without adding a lot of salt. We buy the Costco brand of the Mrs.Dash. and it is just as good. Remember to rub it in to all surfaces. The bottom of the meat needs as much seasoning as the top!

I'm not sure if I've had gnocchi or not. I guess if I did, it didn't make much of an impression! Juliet, I hope it is tasty.

As far as 'official' night owls, we are not that snobby here in our tree! We welcome all of our friends to stop in whenever they fly by, wether they be Night Owls, Early Birds, Day Larks, or Evening Grosbeaks. Some of us just keep different hours than the early birds and we thought we'd start an evening edition of the daily thread with fun questions to answer. (When we can think of them.)

Juliet Taylor
December 27th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure if I've had gnocchi or not. I guess if I did, it didn't make much of an impression! Juliet, I hope it is tasty.

As far as 'official' night owls, we are not that snobby here in our tree! We welcome all of our friends to stop in whenever they fly by, wether they be Night Owls, Early Birds, Day Larks, or Evening Grosbeaks. Some of us just keep different hours than the early birds and we thought we'd start an evening edition of the daily thread with fun questions to answer. (When we can think of them.)

You're so much fun I adore your posts :)

Btw I just wanted to update you, I'm proud and happy to say that my first time with gnocchi was amazing! DH and I had a delicious lunch! Sorrentina Gnocchi!
gnocchi, tomatoes and onion, some parmesan freshly grated, some mozzarella and right into the oven...
it was delicious! finally I know how to make gnocchi, it's my sister fav dish and I really wanted to learn it!

Cathy F
December 27th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Juliet, that looks delish!

pcbatiks
December 27th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Hey Cathy........could you pass me a chocolate spritz cookie!? Thanks! :D They sound yummy!

The only new recipe I tried this year was the Cheese Nip Mix..........which is super easy and "Slap Ya Mama" good! :icon_rofl: I made 2 batches. It makes a nice little gift or add on gift.

Like Cathy said........you don't have to be a night owl to stop in and post on the night owl thread. It's just for fun and helps keep the regular and occasional night owls busy with something fun to read. :)

kimsophia
December 28th, 2014, 05:20 AM
KimSophia, are your meals bland for a health/medical reason or just because? I have found that the Mrs. Dash seasoning blend is very nice as a spice rub without adding a lot of salt. We buy the Costco brand of the Mrs.Dash. and it is just as good. Remember to rub it in to all surfaces. The bottom of the meat needs as much seasoning as the top!

Toggpine: It's not medical, it's just that I find the "traditional" Thanksgiving/Christmas meal kind of bland. I suppose I could choose to make something zippier but DH seems to want the same thing, so if I'm going to make something else I do it on days that aren't holidays. I use a spice mix in my meatloaf similar to Mrs. Dash! Also I put a pinch of cayenne pepper in it! :D

I was hoping to get a lot of sleep as I fell asleep by 7 but I woke up at midnight. I can keep watching the free quilt backing class on Craftsy. It never occurred to me to turn my fabric sideways to make the width big enough!

toggpine
December 28th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Kim, for the backing, if you are 'close' on width with a single WOF piece, but just don't quite have enough. I have split it lengthwise and added in a column of blocks made from scraps from the top, a banner with the name of the recipient, or a set of strips similar to a border. Any of these will work to give you that little bit extra you need without having to buy extra yardage.

I have used the sideways run plenty of times! I have found that I like to make the back like a surprise second quilt. Then no matter how it gets tossed on the bed or couch, it still looks good.

kimsophia
December 28th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Kim, for the backing, if you are 'close' on width with a single WOF piece, but just don't quite have enough. I have split it lengthwise and added in a column of blocks made from scraps from the top, a banner with the name of the recipient, or a set of strips similar to a border. Any of these will work to give you that little bit extra you need without having to buy extra yardage.

I have used the sideways run plenty of times! I have found that I like to make the back like a surprise second quilt. Then no matter how it gets tossed on the bed or couch, it still looks good.

I will probably have to add lengthwise strips. I am changing the size of this quilt. The directions are for a smaller quilt and I want to increase it to queen size. I guess I will be adding extra blocks but I don't know how big that will make it. I don't know what I am doing, as usual! :/

katibeth
December 30th, 2014, 04:37 AM
Hope your aunt is better very soon!
I really screwed up this last time shopping. I accidentally picked up two incorrect items. Hubby & I go to our niece's house for Christmas every year. I have been making cookies the last few years. Normally I'll do a batch of Toll House Chocolate chip cookies and a batch of something else. Last year, the 2nd batch was the same Toll House recipe but with Hershey's cinnamon chips. They were a huge hit. So I wanted to repeat them this year. But instead of buying Nestle's chocolate chips, I accidentally picked up chocolate chunks. That I could still use. But instead of cinnamon chips, I somehow picked up Special Dark Chocolate chips. No way! So I improvised. To the same cookie dough recipe, instead of adding any chips, I added 1/4 cup of cinnamon plus a little more. There's already 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and 3/4 cup of brown sugar in the recipe, so I didn't want to add any more sugar. I was delightfully suprised at how good they turned out.
For so many years, I've been melting frozen butter (2 sticks) to use in the cookie recipe. I can't seem to get the hang of using softened butter. I don't care how mushy the butter is, as soon as I add it, it clogs up my mixer. I have an old fashioned 23+ year old Sunbeam. I tried it again this year, having the butter sit out for hours. Same result and the cookies spread out too much on the cookie sheet during baking. I've also tried melting refrigerated butter. It doesn't clog the mixer, but the cookies still spread out too much. Also, they are crunchy vs. soft and chewy. My best result is by melting frozen butter. Let is cool slightly and then pour it in with the rest of the ingredients.