PDA

View Full Version : It's Friday and Boxing Day.

Monique
December 26th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Good morning everyone.

I hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday with family/friends or just by yourself.

Christmas has come and gone for another year. Time to plan for next year. (Just kidding). My brother-in-law was VERY happy with his quilt and were everyone else. I pretty well got what I had asked for and then some.

The girls arrived last night, so we got to watch the girls open theirs. Maizyn loves her 'dress up' clothes. She had to wear the princess dress and shoes.

Today we off to my sister-in-law's for our annual Boxing Day fondue. I will be the driver (as usual). I will feel better tomorrow because of it.

Have a great day everyone. Take a little time for yourself now as I know you all have been busy little beavers getting all your Christmas gifts done.

Bubby
December 26th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Morning Everyone,

Yes, another Christmas has come and gone. We had a nice dinner, a few calls from and to family and some good time with Dottie and Olive.

I like the new tutorial...I think I'll start one and see how long it takes to fill up.

Wishing everyone a great Friday!

shirleyknot
December 26th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Is it finally over?

Sandy Navas
December 26th, 2014, 10:13 AM
It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings . . .

irishrn
December 26th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Morning all!
Yes it is over and I can finally get back to my sewing room!!! Left the last few days before Christmas to clean, cook and do some visiting with the neighbors so I'm sooooo ready to sew!
Love the little dog bed tut! My CASEY was the only one who didn't get a bed this year as I made 16 for gifts and the rescue farm.
So I think that will be the first project! I have 3 food shopping bags of fabric scraps saved so it should go quick!!!
Not sure if he will enjoy it as much as he has claimed a spot on the sofa and in our bed as "his" spot! We'll see??
So I hope all of you have a great Friday and if your off a great 3 day weekend!,
Happy Boxing Day to all our Canadian friends!!!

JCY
December 26th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Morning, Day after Christmas ~ It's 22 deg. & snowing. It has been snowing since 1 p.m. yest. It looks like at least 6" on the picnic table. Our "snow angel" from church probably will be by some time today to shovel for us. A neighbor shoveled our driveway last night--twice! All covered again this a.m.

It was a quiet day yest.--just the 2 of us. I've been recovering from that nasty virus since Sun., so haven't had much energy. I haven't sewed all week. Not sure if I'll have enough energy to sew today or not. I've been saving my energy for just what has to be done.

I looked over the sales items today. Was tempted, but I'm trying to shop my stash. I'm sure I have more than enough fabric on hand to last me the rest of my life. lol

Have a good day!

Juliet Taylor
December 26th, 2014, 11:50 AM
What is Boxing Day? never heard of it before!
BTW I'm glad Christmas is done, of course I'm still in the happy Christmas mood I'm usually around this time but like some of you I'm thinking about sewing A LOT!
And I baked two loaves of bread and they smelled and tasted delicious! I'm happy! DH too! :D

MayinJerset
December 26th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Juliet, I'm not sure but I think Boxing Day started in England and it's the day after Christmas when everyone opens their presents (boxes). I'm sure our English and Canadian forum members will have some comments to share with us.

It's close to 11 am and I'm finally having my first cup of coffee and some toast. Was up earlier and while the coffee was brewing I sat on couch to watch TV and next thing I knew it was after 10 am. Christmas day was a long one for DH and I but we enjoyed opening our gifts to each other in the morning and then later on at DS#2's for gift exchanging and a late Christmas dinner. Will spend some time this morning to open and look at all my gifts again. DH gave me on nice purse that had a few gift cards inside of it and DGD C gave me a big candle with a base that I want to display in our living room. Lots of bags and boxes to go through to fully enjoy the gifts we received. Did get lots of little boxes of home made chocolates and think I need to hide them, they are delicious and I can't stop eating them which is very bad for my waistline and even worse for my stomach. I'll hide them in different parts of my sewing room because as we know a little piece of chocolate makes the sewing go faster.

I see that Juliet is thoroughly enjoying her new bread kneader and has already baked a few loaves of delicious bread.

Juliet Taylor
December 26th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Juliet, I'm not sure but I think Boxing Day started in England and it's the day after Christmas when everyone opens their presents (boxes). I'm sure our English and Canadian forum members will have some comments to share with us.

I see that Juliet is thoroughly enjoying her new bread kneader and has already baked a few loaves of delicious bread.

I see! Here in Italy it's common to open the gift at Christmas's Eve after midnight or in the morning of the 25th (after Santa arrived)!

Yes yes yes I DID! Just forgot to take a nice pic because it tasted SO good that we started eating at lunch :D I'll take a pic tomorrow or I'll bake more tomorrow and take good pics of untouched food!!

Monique
December 26th, 2014, 04:46 PM
This is what google said:

Boxing Day is a holiday for many Canadians on December 26. It gives people the chance to take part in the post-Christmas sales or watch ice hockey games. (hahaha, the Juniors are playing hockey and the sales are supposed to be so great.

Dalronix
December 26th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Boxing Day (Dec 26th) is a holiday in Australia too. Here are its origins:

"Boxing Day is a holiday traditionally celebrated the day following Christmas Day, when servants and tradesmen would receive gifts, known as a "Christmas box", from their bosses or employers"

Boxing Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day)

Navy Wife
December 26th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Boxing Day started when the lord of the manor gave presents to his servants. They were busy preparing the feast on Christmas Day, and couldn't take time for presents. When we lived in England we gave a bonus to the milkman, postman and our maid/babysitter. The garbage men (dustmen in England) came around about 2 weeks before Christmas, rang the bell, and I was greeted by a hand held out and a loud, "the dustmen wish you a Merry Christmas"! Fortunately I had been warned and had my envelope ready! We are so alike, yet so different! Happy Boxing Day to our Canadian, British and Australian quilters!

Juliet Taylor
December 27th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Thanks for explaining it to me so well :D