PDA

View Full Version : So today is all of those, Wednesday, hump day and Christmas Eve all rolled into one.

Monique
December 24th, 2014, 08:17 AM

Good Christmas Eve morning. I know some of you have probably been burning the midnight oil getting things made for Christmas.

Today is my last working day. I finished the quilt for my brother in law yesterday and started knitting a pair of slippers for Greg. A customer came in and gave me some home baked goodies and my boss was in with a gift as well. She really loved the table runner I made her.

Greg is home until the New Year. Phil, Jodi and the girls should arrive tomorrow night some time, weather permitting. We had freezing rain yesterday morning and this morning it is raining cats and dogs. There won't be much snow left at this rate.

I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for being part of this wonderful forum. You don't know how much you mean to me. For most of us, we have never met in person, but the bonds we have made, will last a lifetime. Thank you my friends, for letting me share my life with you.

Merry Christmas to all of you from the bottom of my heart.

xoxoxoxo

Bubby
December 24th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Good Morning Monique & Everyone,

Monique, you are such a sweetheart and I appreciate you stepping in for our Blondie when she's away. I hope you have a Christmas you will never forget this year with your family and a happy, healthy and prosperous 2015. That's great you got your quilt finished.

Today I have to make myself clean house. I ended up going to Walmart yesterday and then getting bogged down with some legal issues and emailing back and forth. At the end of the day I was running all over town looking for a notary and finally found one at the license bureau.

We were supposed to get a little snow last night but I haven't looked out to see if it happened.

I wish everyone on our form a blessed Christmas and a fabulous 2015. This forum is blessed with so many terrific members who care deeply for each other. Thank you to everyone who blessed my socks off in 2014. Love, Barb

buckeyequilter
December 24th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Jean Sewing Machine
December 24th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Merry Christmas to all of you, my dear friends! Although I have only met a few if you face to face, I am so glad to know so many of you through your daily sharing! Have a wonderful holiday!

Grandma Nan
December 24th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Good morning Monique
It is raining here in Kingston too. It is windy, mild and foggy but it is so close to the point of turning to freezing it could potentially be problematic driving but no snow. I hope Santa has pontoons/rubber tires on his sleigh as there are not many places for a regular sleigh to land. My New Year's resolution is to meet up with Monique during the next year because we really don't live that far apart.

Last minute details to prepare today for tomorrow's big meal. We will get the potatoes peeled and cook the turkey today so that we can slice it, make the gravy and clean up the roast pan before people arrive. I am also cooking a ham but I think I might try it in the slow cooker. The reno in the basement is at a bit of a rough stage but certainly good enough to have everyone down there. Our carpenter Paul worked until 9 pm last night to make sure we had a semi finished main area and a working toilet and sink for our Christmas dinner. So i am going down to do a final clean up and then we will move the tables in and I will set the tables. My Kingston kids are coming over to help and we are opening gifts and then the Petawawa kids will be here tonight for a sleep over.
The next 2 days will be full but I am looking forward to relaxing and eating left overs on Boxing Day.

I gave up trying to get my bindings done on the boys quilts. At some point you have to figure out how to manage your time without making yourself mental. I have them sitting here and I work on them for a few minutes each time I stop for a break but the kids will get the quilts and I will finish off after Christmas.

Well I have been thinking a lot about the people who do not enjoy the holidays so much and I hope each of you are able to find peace or something pleasant to focus on. This is almost over and we'll soon be on to the next story/event so hang in just a bit longer. I know it is such a long season but things should be back to a relative normal soon. For those who are ill or suffering right now, I will be specifically thinking of you over the next few days and wishing you the best during this difficult season.

I would like to say how blessed I feel to have found this group and how much I enjoy looking at the forum first thing every morning to see what everyone is doing. It has grown to be a very important part of my life. I am also so happy to have met some of the forum members at the Fall Forum Retreat.

I sincerely wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. Be safe and warm. And I can't wait to talk to everyone after the big day to see if any holiday magic happened for you.

Merry Christmas folks. Love and Hugs to everyone.
Nan/Nancy/Grandma Nan

Cathy F
December 24th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Morning all,
It's early here, looks like rain today but that's OK. Today is a prep day for the food, and a last minute straighten up around the house. My daughter and son in law will be arriving tomorrow morning for breakfast, and my son and family a little later in the day. My husband's cousin and daughter will also be coming for dinner. She lost her mother this year and it's the first Christmas without her and we didn't want them to be alone. So it will be a full house in my little house, but it will be merry!
I wish you all a very Merry Christmas, and my wish for all my forum friends a healthy coming year. I feel very blessed to have found this forum and your friendships.

Over40momma
December 24th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Monique, you pulled the feelings right out of my heart and found the right words to express them. Merry Christmas to you too, my dear, and may this be a blessed time for you and your family.

I finally finished up all the wrapping yesterday and my youngest got to play "Elf" by helping me get them all under the tree. It still gives my heart a thrill to see the excitement on my girls' faces! Today is hopefully a more relaxed day as all I have left to do is make some mincemeat pies and a pumpkin pie. Then my girls and I are going to make a mess in the kitchen whipping up whatever treats they would like. (This is one of my most favorite moments of the Christmas season as we all end up being silly and very messy.)

Now I am going to get into a bit of sentimental sap here, so bear with me. You all have come to mean so much to me and have become like a second family to me. And like all families, we may have our ups and downs, but at the end of the day, we are here for each other......encouraging, supporting, commiserating and applauding. Little did I know that a simple click to look at a video tutorial would bring so much more into my life and my heart. To our wonderful Moderators, a special thank you.......passions can sometimes run high and you keep us all firmly grounded, being forever the peacemakers in this large family. So if we sometimes forget to say it....Thank You. To the Doan family, for without you, none of us would be here today. All this because you needed to keep 'Mom' busy :icon_rofl: We have seen a town revitalized, people of all walks of life coming together, young people energized to explore the world of quilting and a whole host of giggles and chuckles while we learn at the knee of a very down-to-earth and caring lady you call Mom. Talk about the Ripple Effect!!!! Very simply, Merry Christmas to you all and thank you for just being you. :icon_hug:

Andrea F
December 24th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Good morning Monique and all,

so, today is the big day here in Germany. It is 1 pm and we will head over to my sister's place in a few hours. We are going to eat some potatoe salad and Wieners as we do every year and then the kids will go and see if Santa has been there and brought them some presents. Well, actually it is the 'Christkind' we are looking for.
I finished the quilt for my niece at around 2 am this morning and I have to say I am so glad it's done. Sometimes done is better than perfect ;) I'm going to post pictures later.

Tomorrow noon, we will go there too and have lunch/dinner (what would you call it if it is a big meal but takes place at 1pm?). On the 26th, DS#2 will come over with her family to our place to have lunch with us and in the evening we will collect DS#3 at the train station and she stays with us for a few days so she wouldn't be home alone. She lives near by but she'll drop off her little son in Munich on Friday and he's going to stay with his father at his grandparents until the new year. Christmas time is difficult for DS#2 and Ds#3 because their mother passed away two years ago.

I am so happy that I found quilting and this forum. Although I'm not around every day I really appreciate everyone here. It's such a great place with lots of amazing, friendly and caring people.

Fröhliche Weihnachten Euch allen! Merry Christmas to everyone!

Iris Girl
December 24th, 2014, 09:13 AM

Wishing everyone a Safe , happy fun filled Christmas eve. Even though I have never met any of you in person I feel I know many of you well. Thanks for being here.

Today's agenda is making some meatballs for a quick easy dinner tonight. Then a couple pumpkin pies. Then sewing. So glad I do not have to work or go out!
Weather is gray and rainy here again.

Mpyles
December 24th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Good morning, happy Christmas Eve! I am one of those that's cramming...to get things done...not projects...all those are done but to get my messy house in order and find some time to wrap gifts...dh and I and worked late into the night getting the prep work done for our annual Christmas Eve dinner of crab legs...in years past it's always been my momma and the kids friends and anyone from work who was away from home. This year DH's siblings and families are comin which added about 8 more in...and some whom don't eat crab legs so there is ham and turkey for them. I'm off to work in a bit...we are open until 3 today...hoping to slip out early...but lately things have been pretty hectic so who knows...didn't want to leave anything to chance. I swear I am sleeping into noon Christmas day!

At my restaurant..we have our very own Santa Claus....he comes in all year long...usually in red dress...but at Christmas time in full dress and any child in the restaurant ALWAYS gets a stuffed animal..you should see these kids eyes when they see Santa in the house. Mrs Claus had a stroke recently and has been in a rehabilitation home...Santa told me the other day she will be home for Christmas. Such a blessing these two are!!95706

For those that won't be around the forum tomorrow....please have a blessed safe holiday! Hugs!!

MayinJerset
December 24th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Joining in to say I've also found a home here at M* with it's every growing family. There is always someone or something of interest, someone to celebrate with or sadly, someone that needs our good thoughts and prayers so I'm Wishing You All a Happy Christmas Eve..

pcbatiks
December 24th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Merry Christmas Eve forum friends! Our day will be fairly quiet. I will make one more batch of cookies and I think maybe some soup for supper. DH & I will open gifts tonight. Tomorrow our family was invited to my aunts house for lunch.......we are having barbecue...yummy!

Sandy B...........you said it perfectly. This forum is an important part of my daily life. Merry Christmas, to all my forum friends.......old and new. You all have brought me lots of laughs, inspiration and guidance this year.

I would also like to extend a big forum welcome to all of our brand new members. I've fallen behind in saying hello to our newest members......so welcome to the forum. We are glad you all are here.

Thank you to the Doan family for making this forum available to all of us quilt & fabric addicts.

Safe travels to those who will be on the road today. I hope you all have a wonderful time this Christmas.

Sandy Navas
December 24th, 2014, 10:47 AM

The true meaning! May you have it in your hearts.

MRoy
December 24th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Merry Christmas

songbird857
December 24th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Merry Christmas everyone :)
Over40Momma - Well said - brought tears to my eyes because I feel very much the same. This year has been the most challenging year hands down - The M* forum has been a little breath of fresh air almost every day :)
Mpyles - I first read "in a red dress"... had to read it a few times to get it right :D
So, today I have a load of laundry in (mine :)) bread in the breadmaker to bring to my parents' , dishes are done - we will visit my parents today and take them out to eat, then go back to their place for a bit to chat. My FIL will go with us today - I'm hoping he will remember them since it has been quite a few years since he has seen them and his long term memory is still intact.
Ok - so now my story about the Great Macaroon Debacle of 2014!!
Last night I was making Macaroons - some for home, some for my parents because my dad loves them. First batch comes out of the oven - I put them on top of the stove (on top of some pans already on there - I thought they would be fine, honest.).
I turned my back for one second and I hear this sliiiiiiiiiiding sound - turned around in time to see the entire pan land on the floor - upside down.....
I'm so glad I mopped the floor the day before. So, I scoop them up before the dog can get to them (oh what a bellyache that would be for her!!) and decide 'Eh! How can I salvage these??' Sooooooooo... I dumped them on a plate and covered them with chocolate - Voila!!! I love the fact that my girls didn't even bat an eye when I gave them the 'full disclosure' - they were like "Oh, ok... they're fine..." truly they are their mother's daughters ;) Luckily, I had enough batter to make a dozen macaroons that did not fall to the floor. Here is a pic of my 'Macaroon Mess'
Merry Christmas to all of you wonderful, silly, encouraging, heartwarming, guys and gals!

Panda
December 24th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Thank you, Monique, for your kind thoughts. Merry Christmas to you, your family and all forum members.

Kathy

ravelim
December 24th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Monique, you pulled the feelings right out of my heart and found the right words to express them. Merry Christmas to you too, my dear, and may this be a blessed time for you and your family.

I finally finished up all the wrapping yesterday and my youngest got to play "Elf" by helping me get them all under the tree. It still gives my heart a thrill to see the excitement on my girls' faces! Today is hopefully a more relaxed day as all I have left to do is make some mincemeat pies and a pumpkin pie. Then my girls and I are going to make a mess in the kitchen whipping up whatever treats they would like. (This is one of my most favorite moments of the Christmas season as we all end up being silly and very messy.)

Now I am going to get into a bit of sentimental sap here, so bear with me. You all have come to mean so much to me and have become like a second family to me. And like all families, we may have our ups and downs, but at the end of the day, we are here for each other......encouraging, supporting, commiserating and applauding. Little did I know that a simple click to look at a video tutorial would bring so much more into my life and my heart. To our wonderful Moderators, a special thank you.......passions can sometimes run high and you keep us all firmly grounded, being forever the peacemakers in this large family. So if we sometimes forget to say it....Thank You. To the Doan family, for without you, none of us would be here today. All this because you needed to keep 'Mom' busy :icon_rofl: We have seen a town revitalized, people of all walks of life coming together, young people energized to explore the world of quilting and a whole host of giggles and chuckles while we learn at the knee of a very down-to-earth and caring lady you call Mom. Talk about the Ripple Effect!!!! Very simply, Merry Christmas to you all and thank you for just being you. :icon_hug:

Merry Christmas to all. I totally agree .

ravelim
December 24th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I am extremely sentimental this year.

quiltingtrish
December 24th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Merry Christmas to all of you. I didn't seem to post as much this past year but sure enjoyed everyone's photos and stories and am blessed that I can pray for those that need them.

The kids are all home (1 kiddo is here all the time, 2nd one is home from college for about a month, and 3rd one is home from the Marines in Florida). I suppose I should wrap gifts today - didn't go overboard but it's nice to have a few things to open. We try to keep things simple and remember what this season is for.

Looking forward to 2015 and all of you.

Christmas Hugs!!

ilive2craft2
December 24th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Merry Christmas Eve to my forum family and to the Doan family!

Today I still need to wrap some presents, but got all of the kids presents finished. I should take some pictures! Got the quilting done on my other brother's quilt, but I am not going to go crazy and try to get them both bound - I will serge the edges so that they can open them, but then have to give them back. :) Will try to get the binding on our son's quilt, but he is here through Friday and has seen it already, so it might wait until Friday morning. Sis will get her quilt top - she helped design it, so I told her that yesterday. I want to take my time on the quilting.

Our son will be home late this afternoon - hoping the snow holds off - they have changed the forecast again and now we are only supposed to get 2 inches. Just enough to make it pretty!

Holding all of my forum friends in my heart during this holiday season. I know that this time of year is particularly difficult when dealing with illness and deaths and memories - both good and bad. May the peace of this season bless all of you!

BellasQuilts
December 24th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Monique, lovely sentiments and I too can't agree more. You all have added so much to my life and I am very grateful to the Doan family on many levels. I have never been able to make it to the Retreat, but feel like I know you and have made lasting friendships here. Blessings to all and have a very Merry Christmas!

Dollyquilts
December 24th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year for all my forum friends. Bubby, especially wishing you happy tenants and mega-healing for 2015.

Dolly

Amy R
December 24th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Merry Christmas to my new sisters and brothers. I look forward to reading and typing our lives. Ups downs and anywhere in-between.
Everyone I've met so far is just awesome!!!
Have a blessed holiday season and new year ahead!
The Reynolds family

Ginny B
December 24th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Good Morning. Just stealing a few moments to say that I want to wish all of my Forum Family a very Merry Christmas and blessings for the coming year. I am so glad that I came upon this group a couple years ago. It is such a wonderful bunch of people.

Good luck to all of you with your final preparations today or, for those of you where Christmas Day has already arrived, have a wonderful day. My son and dil arrived yesterday and I had a nice day visiting with them. This afternoon, they, my sister and dh will pick me up at work and we will head into Brooklyn for tonight and then in the morning dh and I will go over to NJ to spend Christmas Day with his family. Then on Friday and through the rest of the weekend we will get back together with my crew and enjoy being with each other until Sunday.

Merry Christmas to All!

mommamarsh
December 24th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Merry Christmas and a Grand New Year to everyone here ! May those sick or hurting be blessed with healing and peace . If you are travelling ,be extra careful , please , you are precious cargo . And eat a cookie for me !

Carrie J
December 24th, 2014, 01:24 PM
A very Merry Christmas ad Happy New Year to everyone on this Forum. Monique, you put it so very well! My sincerest wish to everyone here is health, happiness, love and peace within. May we all rejoice in the small things, as they are sometimes overlooked, a hand to hold, a smile, a kind word, a loving look, a simple sigh of contentment, the comfort of a friend. And most especially this Forum and the Doan family. Without which none of us would have been able to form new friendships, sharing and support in a craft we all dearly love. That alone is a Blessing to be thankful for.

Simply Quilting
December 24th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Good Morning! I took dh to the dentist this morning - he had a root canal and one tooth pulled. Not the greatest way to spend Christmas Eve but this will hopefully take care of the pain. After seeing the tooth that they pulled - lower back right, it was easy to see why he had been in pain.

Today I have one more quilt to finish binding. Also we have gifts to wrap and a cake to bake. The evening activities are going to Christmas Eve Service at church then we drive around and look at the lights around town for a bit. Then everyone is off to bed.

I must say that I am getting very excited to open my Secret Santa gift from one of the forum people.

I'm very thankful for this forum and all of the wonderful people that I have met both in-person and on-line. What an amazing group of men and women. Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year filled with good health, true friends and beautiful quilts. :)

K. McEuen
December 24th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and hopes that your New Year is better than all the years past.

Shirley
December 24th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Merry Christmas dear friends! I enjoy reading your posts and seeing your beautiful creations. I love it that we are all here for each other. Have a wonderful evening a a very happy day tomorrow.