PDA

View Full Version : It is Tuesday, 2 more sleeps until the BIG day.

Monique
December 23rd, 2014, 08:53 AM
Good morning friends.

They are still calling for freezing rain possibly for this morning but luckily no sign YET!! It can wait until after I get to work.

I had a wonderful lunch yesterday with a friend. We reminisced about my Mom and other things. It was just grand. I did some last minute quilting on the BIG quilt and I will continue today at work.

Greg arrives sometime today and will be here when I get home tonight. YEAH!!!!!

Not much else to report.

Have a wonderful day and safe travels to those who are traveling for the holidays.

qcquilter
December 23rd, 2014, 09:09 AM
Monique,
I had to smile when I saw your thread title. My sons who are now adults used to measure every special event by how many sleeps were left. We sometimes still use that as a measuring stick. Thanks for the early morning smile.

Madeforyouinma11
December 23rd, 2014, 09:14 AM
Good morning Monique
We will have rain here too until Friday. I guess it's better than snow but it's still messy and not quite as pretty. Well, this year is a first..I am all done shopping and wrapping! I have one more delivery coming today so I will wrap that when it gets here. I have shopped for Christmas dinner and have everything I need to bake today and tomorrow so I don't have to leave the house until after Christmas! Hubby works today and when he comes home we will put Julia's grand walk in kitchen together. I am so excited about Christmas this year with her.
Hoping everyone has a great day!

irishrn
December 23rd, 2014, 09:24 AM
Morning all!
It is foggy and rainy and cold here too! This kind of weather happens to be great for my dry eye but not so festive for the holidays!!
Our dinner will be Christmas Eve early as the DD and her BF are coming for a late lunch. We will be quiet and happy on Christmas day! Everything done except: cleaning the kitchen, last minute groceries and delivering two gifts!! When we get out to pick up DH's car from the shop I'll get the groceries and deliver the gifts, the home to cook veg casserole and clean!

So I hope all have a restful; stress less; good nights sleep till the big day!
And wishing all the very best of this season!
I think this year we really need a large dose of PEACE, LOVE, AND JOY!!!
AND HEALTH AND HAPPINESS TOO!!!

Bubby
December 23rd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Morning Monique & Everyone,

I woke up with a cold this morning, heckfireshoot! I have to go to Walmart so I will pick up some Zicam and see if it will help.

I was going to clean house today but I doubt I will have the energy for that task. I would so much rather retreat to the sewing room and make some potholders. I bought some mini charms that I think will be perfect for the project. These will be for my neighbors along with a batch of cookies. I can surely knock out 2-3 potholders in a couple hours.

We may get snow tomorrow night and wake up to a White Christmas. That always thrills me when that happens. The last Christmas my husband Mike had he was wishing for a white Christmas but there was no possibility of snow according to the weather people. Mike said that was okay because he was praying for snow. We woke up Christmas morning to about 1 inch of snow...just enough to make everything white. Mike's prayer was answered in a big way that affirmed his faith in the possibility of all things.

I hope all your preparations for Christmas are taken care of. Today would be a nice day to slow down and enjoy some Christmas carols. Wishing everyone a blessed day.

Grandma Nan
December 23rd, 2014, 09:56 AM
Oh Bubby, I so agree that today would be a good day to slow down. I had sort of bittersweet news last night. My daughter sent me a text to say her shifts were cancelled for the next 3 days. She is a new part time hire so felt she had to work Christmas this year plus they could use the money so they and me had settled that they would not be here for Christmas. Well at the last minute yesterday she found out that they didn't need her so they are coming for Christmas. Happy day for me. Better get busy tho cause I thought I had a few extra days to finish DGS quilt.

KathyCrofoot
December 23rd, 2014, 10:11 AM
Good morning. Dropped hubby off at airport and made it back home despite the tears and fog. Have plans for this week - taking a friend to PT, working on a quilt, finish binding Mary's Quilt to take to the Family Advocates shelter along with some other goodies I have made. I might even find the tree and put it up...

MRoy
December 23rd, 2014, 10:27 AM
Good morning! It's rainy here, the weather sort of matches my Christmas spirit. DH is still sick with upper respiratory crud and he's on antibiotics. It appears OTC meds may have also increased the effect of his Coumadin because his blood is too thin now. He's off the cold meds and goes back for a blood check in a couple of weeks. I'm ready to get past another sick Christmas and move toward a new year. Ho, ho, ho!

MayinJerset
December 23rd, 2014, 10:41 AM
Had a surprise this morning while having my first cup of coffee, a phone reminder that the furnace maintenance is this morning! Jumped into some presentable clothes as he'll be here soon.

Baking cookies today, have 3 different batches in the fridge all mixed up and ready to go and also mixed dry ingredients for cranberry breads to bake tomorrow. Cleaned up the kitchen counters, appliances and floors last night to remove all the flour dust.

Only hectic thing I need to do today is go to Costco to get salmon for tomorrow's dinner. Plan to be there when they open so I can jump on one of their battery operated carts and whiz in and out in a flash - I hope.

Hope you ailing gals feel better it's a bummer feeling sick with so much to do.

pcbatiks
December 23rd, 2014, 10:55 AM
Good morning everyone. We spent this past weekend at my brother's house in Tennessee. Our parents were there too & we had our family Christmas together. Our son & his GF could not be there so we sent them a couple of goodie boxes with homemade cookies and gifts. They were munching on cookies when I talked to him Saturday. :) I got several quilting magazines as one of my gifts.......woohoo! :D We spent the rest of the weekend visiting and eating waaayyyy too many cookies, fudge and cheese nip mix! Our fur babies sure were happy to see us when we got home. We had to board them at the vet's office.

It is dreary looking here today but will be clear and cold for Christmas. Hope to lots of cleaning and straightening done today.

I saw yesterday on the morning thread......that songbird mentioned baked french toast. Songbird could you share the recipe......it sounds good. :)

Special hugs, thoughts and prayers to our forum friends who are battling serious illnesses right now..........and to those who have lost friends & loved ones recently. Quite a few of you are going through stressful situations......please know that you are in my prayers & thoughts.

I hope this video will bring peace all of you. Beautifully done song.......so calming and peaceful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sme8N2pzRx8

ilive2craft2
December 23rd, 2014, 11:00 AM
Good Morning all! I have several sewing projects to finish today. The kids embroidered hooded bath towels are all embroidered except for the last 3 spots on the ladybug. I got tired of listening to the machine work last night, so I stopped and hung out with dh for awhile.

Went and got my mom yesterday and we had a late lunch. Had her "shop" through the stuff for the niece and nephew as to what she wanted to give to them for Christmas and birthdays, so now I can wrap. DH did a bunch of wrapping yesterday, so we are getting there. While the embroidery machine was running, I got the quilting done on one brother's quilt - mom was fascinated by both processes. It was fun to have her hanging out in my sewing room.

Figured out the backing for the other brother's quilt, so I am going to get it together and on the frame while the last of the embroidery is going today. Once the hooded bath towels are sewn together, I will just have my sister's quilt top left. I need to get the binding on our son's quilt yet, too. I think the siblings will be getting quilts without binding for now and then get that step done after Christmas. I thought they would just be getting quilt tops, but they are farther along than I thought they would be at this point.

Once I finish up this cuppa, I will be off and running! It might sound hectic, but it is not, I am having fun with my time off and doing what I love - sewing for family! What gets done, gets done, no worries.

Merry Christmas to all!

Sandy Navas
December 23rd, 2014, 11:06 AM
I truly believe the calendar is WRONG. It's wet outside - too warm for snow, no holiday feeling. EXCEPT - oh, the grocery store. Al and I made a quick run yesterday to pick up milk, bread and eggs. We normally shop at a little home-town grocery because it's easy to get in and out, the prices are great, they bag your groceries and even take them to the car for you (eliminates carts running all over the parking lot). Anyway, they were jam packed to the gills! Glad I don't need to go back out.

Al and I have three items on our list of things to do this week - those that take priority, at least. One is to make his favorite dessert - flan or creme brulee. And then I'm teaching him to make oatmeal bread - but that may take a back burner since I just picked up a loaf at the store yesterday. Thirdly - he insists on making pasta (not sure what we'll put on it, but probably seafood . . . shrimp).

Al quilted a batik quilt for Li'l Sis to give to one of her son's for Christmas. I have three tops lined up for him to do - and may have a fourth by the end of the day. I've been spending time doing labels for Miss Blondie's COC quilts while I painstakingly trim up the blocks in my LC & JR quilt.

Guess the day is going to be a good one, the sun is shining and the high today is predicted in the 40's. LIfe has to be good.

songbird857
December 23rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
Mornin' all :) Merry Christmas Eve Eve...
Yesterday was productive - got the floor mopped, rug vacuumed, birdcage cleaned, and presents all wrapped :) Oh, and we decorated the tree last night too...
Today I will grocery shop, pick up a few last minute gifts/gift cards, and maybe make some biscotti!
Hope everyone has a great day :icon_hug::):icon_happy::icon_wave:

Carrie J
December 23rd, 2014, 11:32 AM
Mornin' All hard to believe it's only two more days til Christmas, seems like this month just flew by! Raining here, and will be most of the day, but Thursday will be bright and sunny. Guess I'll be starting to organize all the cut material and plunge into sewing while I can. All errands done and ready for anything the rest of the week requires. Will be going to visit the GF's and deliver Christmas presents Wednesday as the majority of them still work. But what better day to do it? Off for first cup of java, and hope everyone is settling in for a wonderful Christmas. Hugs and blessings to all, and especially those that need them. :D

JCY
December 23rd, 2014, 12:38 PM
Hi, Everyone ~ I'm still trying to recover from this virus. Fever is down. No more nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. Appetite is off, & I feel weak. I won't be doing much today. Just the bare essentials. It's cloudy & 35 deg. here. The mts. got 12-28" of snow in the past 48 hrs., so the skiers are happy--if they can get up there. I-70 W. of Denver near Vail & Georgetown was closed off & on for avalanche mitigation, etc. Driving conditions were bad, & they were advising people to stay off the roads. It will be a quiet Christmas here with just DH & me. My son & family safely arrived in Holland yest. a.m. to spend Christmas with her family in Spakenburg.

BobW
December 23rd, 2014, 12:54 PM
Yesterday was a long day but fun at a couple of points. I got up and went to meet the friends for coffee at McDonalds (we meet at McD's on Monday and Hy-Vee Grocery Store on Friday). This was the first time Ines was able to make it to coffee since she fell. My aunt picked her up and brought her. She walked in under her own steam, although using her walker. We spent almost two hours laughing and catching her up on what she has missed.

Then I picked up the Nit-Wits at six and we went out and looked at Christmas lights. We picked up our former neighbor Margaret (who challenged me to make a quilt top). She is in assisted living with early Alzheimer's. We enjoyed the lights and then ended up stopping at McDonalds for hot fudge sundaes.

Not much on the agenda for today. I need to do a couple of loads of laundry and do a little cleaning. I find myself in an unusual situation. The Nit-Wits without anywhere to be Christmas day are coming to my house for lunch. They all divided up the menu and are bringing everything. I don't have to cook anything. This is a first for me. Maybe my cooking isn't what it used to be. LOL

The sky looks blue so far this morning here. Hopefully the sun comes out.

Bratbear
December 23rd, 2014, 01:00 PM
Good morning everyone. Delivered one quilt today have another one to sew. Then cut and wash. By the way, these are rag quilts. Both twin size. I will be soaking my hands tonight for sure. Looks like I will be alone for Christmas. Oh well, just another day around here.
Sending love and hugs to all of you. Have a safe and very Merry Christmas!

bscuzz
December 23rd, 2014, 01:17 PM
Good morning. Dropped hubby off at airport and made it back home despite the tears and fog. Have plans for this week - taking a friend to PT, working on a quilt, finish binding Mary's Quilt to take to the Family Advocates shelter along with some other goodies I have made. I might even find the tree and put it up...

Kathy, I was thinking about you being by yourself for "C" - being by yourself isn't being 'alone'. If you enjoy your own company, you're all you need! I've always felt like I could have fun in a closet all by myself!! Shucks, guess that says a lot about me! But back to you - put that tree up, pour yourself your beverage of choice, sing Christmas carols real loud, a little dancin' won't hurt. After that settle in to the quilting you want to do and make some fun plans for when your Mr. gets home! Merry Christmas Kathy!

Genny
December 23rd, 2014, 01:17 PM
We're having our Christmas on Saturday this year. As our girls are getting older and with their work and families its getting harder every year to get everyone together. Our 22 year old granddaughter has been sick for the last 4 days and hopefully she'll be better by Saturday and no one else gets it.

For the first time in weeks it was sunny here...for about an hour. By the time I cleaned the bathroom the sun had disappeared :(

Have a great day everyone!

MayinJerset
December 23rd, 2014, 01:59 PM
Very nice and peaceful arrangement of Silent night.

Back from Costco, easy to get into the store as DH dropped me off in front. Got a cart and entered the store and that's when the fun began. No whizzing around and picking up what I wanted and whizzing to check out, wagons and people all over the store mostly buying tons of fresh meats and fish. Did pick up some delicious fresh baked breads, a multi grain one and the other a 3 cheese Italian loaf which is delicious as I'm eating a piece right now.

Eriepatch
December 23rd, 2014, 04:02 PM
Bob,
You are truly a good man to be so involved with others.
Thank you for being there for your friends.

RockinLou
December 23rd, 2014, 04:50 PM
What a day!

My daughter, will be 6 in January, had her first ice skating lesson. I asked her afterwards, it was all in Russian, I guess she knows more of the language than I do!!

The US Consulate had a special event today, so we motored to a movie theater as soon as skating was done. We saw The Grinch and Miracle on 34th in English, in theaters! It was great fun, but neither child lasted through the second film.

After the movie we saw a LEGO exhibit, and due to the movies the mall was teeming with ex-pats, so it was fun for me to catch up with other moms in the same boat.

We explored the grocery store in this new shopping center, and the kids went crazy for rainbow goldfish crackers and I spent way too much on a bag of Milanos. Pepperidge Farm? In Kazakhstan?? Lots of Americans were also in the grocery, looking for Dr. Pepper and Cheeze-Itz which were both just rumors :)

My 3 year old had a colossal fit when I insisted he go to the bathroom before we got in the car. After his fit I stopped to get him a water at a coffee shop, he wanted mini-muffins, so I treated myself to a yummy latte. While I paid the bill he fell off his chair, into the store's display, broke it, Mall security was all upset, the barista put all our things in a bag and got me out of there quickly! I needed her kindness at that moment, to retain patience with my 3 year old, as well as retaining patience with the language barriers here.

After my husband fought brutal traffic to get us home, he realized he'd lost his iPhone at the movies!! So, as soon as kids were in bed he went back... Thankfully, it was there!! While he was gone, I did get to sew some on my daughters dress... Getting so close to finishing!!

It's almost 2 am here, well past bedtime as the 3 year old will wake by 7:30!! Happy Christmas Eve from Kazakhstan!! :icon_wave:

Simply Quilting
December 23rd, 2014, 06:05 PM
Good afternoon. Yesterday the children and I went to Kansas City to pick up a few last minute presents. The crowds were thick even with the rain which attributed to several fender benders. Thankfully, we were not in one but came close a time or two.

The Lego set that I had planned on getting the oldest one was out of stock at the Lego Store. The manager said he over 50 sets on Friday and they flew off the shelf on Saturday. He also said that it has been busier at the malls than it has been for several years. On Saturday one of his employees arrived 45 minutes early but by the time he found a parking spot, he was 15 minutes late to work.

My quilter was done quilting my quilts yesterday. I cut and sewed the binding into strips last night and will finish the binding and hopefully get the binding on all three quilts today. Since dh is having a root canal tomorrow, I don't know how my day will being going tomorrow. Once the quilts get done, the only other thing to get done is wrapping the presents which we always do together.

Have a great evening everyone :)