PDA

View Full Version : ALMOST FORGOTTEN GIFTS FOR GD'S

bscuzz
December 22nd, 2014, 04:26 PM
In all the hubbub in finishing the quilts for my GD's I almost forgot gifts that I had made a few months ago. Thought the girls might like a purse made from Poppy's ties. Also thought ya'll might like to see purses I made from MM's ties he wore for work before retiring. Kinda cute, huh?

vchale
December 22nd, 2014, 04:29 PM
Very cute and creative! Congrats on finishing the quilts and finding these gifts!

cyndiofthevortex
December 22nd, 2014, 04:38 PM
Those are adorable! I've never seen anything like them!

Sandy Navas
December 22nd, 2014, 04:46 PM
Adorable. There's a lady in our quilt guild who makes bags from men's ties - but hers are quite different. Love this idea.

Bubby
December 22nd, 2014, 05:06 PM
They're adorable and so creative....love them.

Grandma Nan
December 22nd, 2014, 05:21 PM
Aw so cute. Wish I had some pink grandkids - all mine are no frills.

Sylvia H
December 22nd, 2014, 06:01 PM
Great gifts! I think all your efforts - the purses and the quilts - will last in your granddaughters' memories, and even if your daughters don't reconcile, you may have created commonality for the next generation. Hoping you have a wonderful holiday.

bscuzz
December 22nd, 2014, 10:01 PM
A few months back my hubs and I were discussing his abundance of ties he no longer uses. Giving to the SILs wasn't an option cause none of them wear a tie on a daily basis (does anyone anymore?). At about the same time I was in my local Sew & Vac and saw this cute little purse hanging at the end of an aisle - as I was checking it out to see how it was made the clerk came over and said it was a sample of a pattern they had for sale. (Wish I could take credit for the design, I think it's so cute, but sadly it's someone else's creativity.) I figured I couldn't stand there and check it out any more , so I'd better just buy the pattern. So there ya go, 4 bags out of one pattern, guess that's not too bad! I'm confident my GDs are gonna love 'em. :icon_noob:

bscuzz
December 22nd, 2014, 10:18 PM
Great gifts! I think all your efforts - the purses and the quilts - will last in your granddaughters' memories, and even if your daughters don't reconcile, you may have created commonality for the next generation. Hoping you have a wonderful holiday.

Thanks Sylvia! If nothing else I've managed to put a lot of "Gra'ma & Poppy" into their gifts. I hope they will have and treasure them for years to come. On the purses I 'ironed a label' on the lining explaining that the ties had been worn by their Poppy for work. The situation between my daughters makes me sad and left me with no Christmas cheer this year, but I like to see my glass half full and pray that time will change their feelings for the better - that will be my New Year's wish!

Sylvia, thank you so much for your advice and encouragement and I wish you a wonderful holiday, too! Good Luck with your plans for your daughter's wedding. It could be tedious (by my experience) but on her Wedding Day it will all be worth it. My plans after the Holidays is to get busy with a dedicated quilting space so that I can continue to learn to be a quilter in 2015! :o