PDA

View Full Version : wowzer!!

bubba
December 21st, 2014, 11:55 PM
We had to go get some screws at the hardware store today and while there, I was looking at the Christmas stuff as I also needed 30 blue bulbs for my memorial star. Here it is.....

I hang it every year on the 21st to honor my good friend, Deputy Kent Mundell, who was shot five years ago tonight. He sadly died on December 28th.

While there, I saw a cute little prelit tree and all trees were 50% off. I asked MM if he would like one of them instead of hauling out the big one and he quickly agreed! When we went out to grab it, they had an even little one, so we got that instead!!! Now we have are little tree up (3' tall) on the coffee table which we pushed over in front of the window. Only decoration on it is a star. I may cut some snowflakes out on the scan and cut, but haven't decided yet.......

Just before going to this store, we stopped by the cemetery to see Kent's memorial and I cleaned it off....last time there was a lot of bird poop...this time only leaves and pine needles - phew! Anyway, I was feeling pretty mopey, so when Santa walked out of an aisle at the store I went over and gave him a big hug, wished him a merry Christmas and sent him on his way. He was just what I needed!

Altairss
December 22nd, 2014, 12:09 AM
Sometimes a little good cheer goes along way!

Sandy Navas
December 22nd, 2014, 12:19 AM
Those anniversaries have such a sneaky way of creeping up on us and deflating our balloons.

Love your star tribute!!

Kgrammiecaz
December 22nd, 2014, 12:22 AM
I am sure Santa needed that hug just as much as you did. Your memorial star is such a nice way to remember someone.

Doloris
December 22nd, 2014, 12:29 AM
Those anniversaries never seem to get easier. 23 years ago on the 19th my mother died. I was 39 years old. My DS is now 39 and I'm glad he isn't going through what I had to. It still seems like yesterday. I often think what would she think of my boys or about other things in my life she missed. To top it off my father died 3 months later on March 18. 10 days after my 40th birthday. This is not my happiest time of the year.

bubba
December 22nd, 2014, 01:08 AM
Those anniversaries never seem to get easier. 23 years ago on the 19th my mother died. I was 39 years old. My DS is now 39 and I'm glad he isn't going through what I had to. It still seems like yesterday. I often think what would she think of my boys or about other things in my life she missed. To top it off my father died 3 months later on March 18. 10 days after my 40th birthday. This is not my happiest to e of the year.

Hugs to you.

2009 was a very bad year for police here that year. Halloween a Seattle officer was killed and his partner seriously wounded....one month later, four Lakewood officers were murdered first thing on a Sunday morning. Thankfully, and I normally don't like being as sick as I was, I had a terrible case of the flu and had called out sick about six hours before it happened. When my friend Kent was shot, I was on vacation and got a call at home and rushed into work to get the dispatchers off the radio who were working. He was in the hospital and died just after Christmas when removed from the machines. His son was only nine or ten and his daughter was 14 or 15 at the time. His wife and I have become friends since and she is about the nicest woman you could ever meet. I can see why he picked her.

Amy R
December 22nd, 2014, 06:47 PM
Terrible tragedies. Beautiful tribute to your fallen friend.

Bubby
December 22nd, 2014, 07:15 PM
That so beautiful, Bubba...you're a good friend to remember.

sally
December 22nd, 2014, 07:18 PM
Hugs to you.

2009 was a very bad year for police here that year. Halloween a Seattle officer was killed and his partner seriously wounded....one month later, four Lakewood officers were murdered first thing on a Sunday morning. Thankfully, and I normally don't like being as sick as I was, I had a terrible case of the flu and had called out sick about six hours before it happened. When my friend Kent was shot, I was on vacation and got a call at home and rushed into work to get the dispatchers off the radio who were working. He was in the hospital and died just after Christmas when removed from the machines. His son was only nine or ten and his daughter was 14 or 15 at the time. His wife and I have become friends since and she is about the nicest woman you could ever meet. I can see why he picked her.

....and now two police men in New York....very sad. I am a Deputy Sheriff myself and you make me proud in the way you honor your friend....Thank you!

bubba
December 22nd, 2014, 08:11 PM
I will honor him always....it's the least he deserves! I wear his bracelet, never taking it off, and look at it several times a day. I feel him always with me. He was quite the guy and I miss him dearly.

MayinJerset
December 23rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
Sad but nice because you are also a special person with the way to remember and honor your friend and how you have made a relationship with his wife and kids. You also gave that Santa a good hug which I'm sure he needed these few days before Christmas.

CARRIE M
December 23rd, 2014, 10:07 PM
Pat,

What a wonderful tribute to your friend. I think it is every dispatcher's nightmare to have an officer injured during your shift. I was very fortunate that it never happened to me.

I'm sure the hug meant as much to Santa as it did to you.

Merry Christmas to you and MM.

BellasQuilts
December 23rd, 2014, 10:33 PM
We will all honor him now. Just post the star, we will know who it is for and remember.

Carrie J
December 23rd, 2014, 10:41 PM
Pat, a wonderful and loving tribute to not only his vocation, life and friendship, but his family as well. I'm with Megan, keep posting the blue star.

And I'm quite sure the Santa you hugged really appreciated it as well. Merry Christmas to you, MM and your entire family. Hugs Pat ;D

Simply Quilting
December 24th, 2014, 03:57 AM
What a nice tribute to your friend.

Over40momma
December 24th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Sad but beautiful Pat......love the blue star and what it means.