PDA

View Full Version : First the oven, now the microwave!

Sharyn J
December 21st, 2014, 07:14 PM
It never fails, shortly before Christmas each year, something goes out! It's either the frig, stove, a plumbing leak, washer, or whatever!

Last night the microwave started on fire. Good thing I was in the kitchen. Now I have to run out and find a cheap countertop model until I can replace the over the stove micro. The ignition burner went out on the stove too, this is the 3rd time. $200 for part and service call, no way. Just had one replaced two years ago. Time for a new stove!

It makes me mad that they don't make anything to last anymore. These are top of the line GE Profile appliances and only 11 years old. Maybe it's better to buy cheap appliances and throw them out every few years.

Well, at least I have a large counter top oven for emergencies, but I can't do without a microwave. It sort of defeats the purpose of me cooking crock pot meals to last until the 24th and have to mess up the kitchen with pots to reheat the meals.

I'm in the middle of making my kolachki's, so I'll have to freeze them and take to dad's house tomorrow to bake.
Small rant........over. Life is too short to worry about these little (BIG) inconveniences. May you all have a very Merry Christmas and I'm sending my prayers that the Good Lord keeps watch over your appliances and your meals all turn out perfect and bring great goodness and comfort to your family. I'm sending you each a cookie. :D

Jean Sewing Machine
December 21st, 2014, 07:24 PM
Just relax and eat a cookie! As you say, life's too short for anxiety to ruin things!

K. McEuen
December 21st, 2014, 07:25 PM
I remember one year while living on the Air Force base that my oven went out the day before Thanksgiving. I called housing maintenance and asked for a repairman. They said Monday. I said "Then you are paying for all the groceries that will be bad by then and dinner for 4 families since I am to cook the turkey." They delivered a new stove within 2 hours. :)

I hope you can find what you need without too many problems. The cookies look great!

Shirley
December 21st, 2014, 08:05 PM
Yum! thanks.

So sorry about your appliances. You are so right, they don't last anymore. We even had the repairman say the same thing! He said buy an extended warranty. We did and we've had to use it, sadly.

Marty
December 21st, 2014, 08:43 PM
Our repairman said the same thing. We have a top pf the line fridge. He said to buy the extended warranty and to expect it to last 5 years. Five years?! I was hoping for 25.

laura44
December 21st, 2014, 09:08 PM
So sorry for you! I think I have been lucky.
Just a note, don't run appliances when you go to bed,
my sisters dishwasher caught on fire at 10 at night, good thing
she was still awake and smelled the smoke upstairs!
No dryer after hours too!

Grandma G
December 21st, 2014, 09:18 PM
Sorry about that microwave problem. BTW - I'll take the lemon filled cookie. Looks so yummy!! Care to share your recipe? I have lots of lemon loving people around me!!

Simply Quilting
December 21st, 2014, 09:19 PM
So sorry that the appliances quit on you. When I first got married, my plan was to buy the appliances that I wanted for life. After all, my Grandma's fridge has lasted over 60 years. Sadly, they don't make them to last any more - the make bottom dollar seems to be more important than the waste and filling up landfills with appliances that could last a lifetime.

Hulamoon
December 21st, 2014, 09:20 PM
Those look yummy! Sorry it's happening this time of year :( I had a brand new stove that had to have the electroinc board replaced twice. I have to shut it off once in awhile to 'reboot it' still. Darn thing. The wierd one was when a computer moniter caught fire. how does that happen?

Sharyn J
December 21st, 2014, 09:23 PM
So sorry for you! I think I have been lucky.
Just a note, don't run appliances when you go to bed,
my sisters dishwasher caught on fire at 10 at night, good thing
she was still awake and smelled the smoke upstairs!
No dryer after hours too!

That's great advice Laura! I never leave anything running if I'm not up and awake. I also live in a condo so if anything ever happened, it might affect other residents. I was glad that I was sitting here in the kitchen when the microwave started sparking and flames. It was very odd, as the fire was coming from one of the ceramic shelf support brackets inside. Very odd indeed!

irishrn
December 21st, 2014, 09:29 PM
So sorry to hear about your appliance issues. It's a pain when it happens!
And why it always comes when you don't need it!!!

I lost my refrig 2 days before Mother's Day and my washer 3 days before Father's Day.
That's two! And I've been waiting for the third one to go since then since they always come in 3's in my life!!
Keeping my fingers crossed! Christmas even dinner is already to go!!
Hope everyone has a wonderful Merry Christmas!!!!

snippet
December 21st, 2014, 09:47 PM
Oh, I too am in the broke appliance group. I noticed my refrigerator isn't cooling well. I made sure the seal was good when I closed it, but after two days fully closed, my new milk has curdled. So everything is bad (except the pickles) and I'm wondering if I should call the repairman or skip the repair bill and shop for a new refrigerator since this one is probably 20 years old.

Bubby
December 21st, 2014, 10:28 PM
Your cookies look fantastic! Sorry about your appliances....I feel for you and for the bad timing of the whole thing. ((Hugs))

Sandy Navas
December 21st, 2014, 10:47 PM
Why does everything happen to break down when you need it the most?

And, if you call a repair man it's about $85 here just for them to walk in the door.

Cathy F
December 21st, 2014, 10:50 PM
Oh, can we say YUM! They look very tasty. I'm sorry your appliances give out at this time of year when we really need them to work hard for us.

Sharyn J
December 21st, 2014, 11:16 PM
Well, I got two batches of the cookies made and flash frozen. Still have about 8 batches to go. I'll finish them up in the morning and tote everything to dad's to bake. I had some spirits to help.......in a nice cocktail glass with lots of ice. :D

Gerri, those are apricot filled. I use the same dough recipe every year: 2 sticks real butter, 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, 2 cups of flour. It makes a soft dough. Cream the butter & cream cheese, add the flour. Separate into 3 balls and wrap each in plastic wrap. Press down to make a disk. Chill overnight. This is the secret to a good crust for the cookies....chilling the dough overnight.

I roll one disk on top of a large piece of plastic wrap, sprinkled with flour. A second piece of floured wrap on top. Roll nice and thin, about 1/8 - 1/4". Fill with about a teaspoon of filling. I use the SOLO fillings for convenience. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Re-roll any scraps to use up all the dough and then go onto the next disk! It's time consuming, but nothing better than home made kolachki.

Amy R
December 21st, 2014, 11:55 PM
I know the feeling well this past few weeks Sharyn. So happy you were right there when it happened.

Those cookies look amazing!!

Gina
December 22nd, 2014, 04:20 AM
Sorry to hear about your appliances! Hope the next few days are better for you! The cookies look delicious!

Vonnie
December 22nd, 2014, 07:03 AM
We have had more than one microwave catch on fire. I tell my guys to leave the door closed and let it burn out. It's already damaged by that point and no telling what else will catch on fire if they open the door. I don't know if Arby's still does it, but one of my son's reheated one of their roast beef sandwiches in the wrapper and the microwave caught fire. The wrapper had a thin lining of foil. The other son, years later, reheated a sandwich in a brown paper bag. Microwave caught on fire. Another time we were out of town and left the oldest in charge (he was collage age and asked him to come home for the weekend). The microwave just quit - they did not know what caused it. So oldest boy took little brother back to the dorm with him so they had a microwave. But, they left the dog home alone. They were smart enough to know to shampoo the carpet before we got home! Told DH when we remodel the kitchen to make a microwave shelf instead of a built in - a lot easier to replace. The very first microwave we had was huge and lasted 14 years! The new ones we are lucky if they last 5 and a couple only lasted 2! Of course, putting the wrong items in them and catching on fire does not help either!

I quit buying appliances from Sears. Here's why. We had a Sears repairman come fix our ice maker in the fridge. Took him 10 minutes. I figured we have paid $90 for an hour of work so I asked him a simple question about the store. He would not even answer me. Matter of fact he was extremely rude. Told me he did not work on stoves and call for another appointment! Never again will I buy an appliance from Sears. I will hire locals who are qualified to work on them. Later on we had called someone - an independent repairman. He only charged $60 for his service call and since he was done so quickly, he asked if there was any thing else we needed taken care of since he was already there - Now that's customer service!

Monique
December 22nd, 2014, 07:30 AM
It could always be worse.

Have a wonderful Christmas season.

Grandma G
December 22nd, 2014, 10:29 AM
Well, I got two batches of the cookies made and flash frozen. Still have about 8 batches to go. I'll finish them up in the morning and tote everything to dad's to bake. I had some spirits to help.......in a nice cocktail glass with lots of ice. :D

Gerri, those are apricot filled. I use the same dough recipe every year: 2 sticks real butter, 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, 2 cups of flour. It makes a soft dough. Cream the butter & cream cheese, add the flour. Separate into 3 balls and wrap each in plastic wrap. Press down to make a disk. Chill overnight. This is the secret to a good crust for the cookies....chilling the dough overnight.

I roll one disk on top of a large piece of plastic wrap, sprinkled with flour. A second piece of floured wrap on top. Roll nice and thin, about 1/8 - 1/4". Fill with about a teaspoon of filling. I use the SOLO fillings for convenience. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Re-roll any scraps to use up all the dough and then go onto the next disk! It's time consuming, but nothing better than home made kolachki.

Sharyn - apricot sounds yummy, too!! I'm going to give these a try. Think I'll try the lemon filling. Am betting that will work, too. I will let you know. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Merry Christmas!!!

Grandma G
December 22nd, 2014, 10:51 AM
Just another question...about how many kolachkis do you get out of this recipe? Just trying to figure out the how big to cut the dough. Thanks, again!!