PDA

View Full Version : The Deer Matrix

Deegles
December 20th, 2014, 11:59 PM
Have any of you ever been driving down a secluded road and saw a deer near the road? I always choose to slow down because they are jumpy critters. It looks like they are headed in one direction and then all of a sudden change direction. It is like they are being filmed and someone edits the view by changing the camera angle by 90 degrees. It's like the deer is trying out for the Matrix!:D

quiltingtrish
December 21st, 2014, 12:18 AM
I see them all the time coming home late a night on the highway. I slow down too cause you never know what they will do. I even have an area that is residential where 4 to 6 come out and just run across the road. They sure can do lots of damage.

Hulamoon
December 21st, 2014, 12:20 AM
Does a chicken matrix count?

alliek
December 21st, 2014, 12:34 AM
Two years ago Christmas Eve we, DD,DH and I were coming home from Xmas Eve services, There was absolutely no one on the road in either direction (east,west two lanes either side, Large grassy median in between) when two deers darted in front of our van. We hit them one flew up landed on the side after hitting the hood, narrowly missing the windshield. DH was great in controlling the vehicle so we did not end up in a tree. He kept driving as we were about a mile from home and he was afraid to stop if the car would not start again. We made it home amid clunks,clanks,etc etc. Van was totaled by the insurance co. ?We called the state police about the deer they came out and took care of them. They are very dangerous, and not very smart near roads. Thank God we were not injured on that dark lonely road. I was sorry for the deer,

MaryD
December 21st, 2014, 01:26 AM
Kangaroos create a similar problem, only I think they can change direction in mid flight.

Kgrammiecaz
December 21st, 2014, 01:32 AM
Two years ago Christmas Eve we, DD,DH and I were coming home from Xmas Eve services, There was absolutely no one on the road in either direction (east,west two lanes either side, Large grassy median in between) when two deers darted in front of our van. We hit them one flew up landed on the side after hitting the hood, narrowly missing the windshield. DH was great in controlling the vehicle so we did not end up in a tree. He kept driving as we were about a mile from home and he was afraid to stop if the car would not start again. We made it home amid clunks,clanks,etc etc. Van was totaled by the insurance co. ?We called the state police about the deer they came out and took care of them. They are very dangerous, and not very smart near roads. Thank God we were not injured on that dark lonely road. I was sorry for the deer,

I am happy to hear you were not injured. I hrew up in areas where deer could show up almost anywhere amd they did. A couple of my brothers and sister lost against the deer, but they were ok as well. It is sad to see them die for this crazy reason.

auntiemern
December 21st, 2014, 01:39 AM
I see them all the time....saw 5 coming home the other night. We have never hit one, but had one hit us...ran right into the front fender after it tried to jump it...all I saw were antlers.

Tina W
December 21st, 2014, 03:00 AM
Had 1 jump in my pool last year after I covered it for the winter. It was an above ground pool.

Carlie Wolf
December 21st, 2014, 03:02 AM
If I see one I always assume there are more. There usually are. I saw a black panther on the road a few times when I was up in Canada. They seemed to trek though our property about twice a year.

snippet
December 21st, 2014, 04:45 AM
I see deer on the side of the road all the time down here in Texas. I don't slow down, but I do watch out to see what they will do. One time my uncle hit a deer and its antlers got tangled in the grill of the truck and flipped onto the hood. So my uncle drove to the nearest place to figure out how to release the deer. I'm sorry to say it wasn't a good ending for the deer.

I remember when we used to see armadillos on the road too, but they have nearly disappeared. I think they are making a comeback though.

Monique
December 21st, 2014, 07:38 AM
There are lots of deer around here. I had one in my bird feeder yesterday.

shirleyknot
December 21st, 2014, 09:06 AM
I see deer on the side of the road all the time down here in Texas. I don't slow down, but I do watch out to see what they will do. One time my uncle hit a deer and its antlers got tangled in the grill of the truck and flipped onto the hood. So my uncle drove to the nearest place to figure out how to release the deer. I'm sorry to say it wasn't a good ending for the deer.

I remember when we used to see armadillos on the road too, but they have nearly disappeared. I think they are making a comeback though.

Your dang "possum on the half-shell", or "Texas speed-bumps" Have all migrated up here. Just another case of unwanted illegal immigrants.

Bubby
December 21st, 2014, 10:08 AM
We live in deer country. We went to a funeral service Friday night and had three separate deer cross the road in front of us. We barely missed the second one and nearly ran off the narrow 2-lane road to miss the first one. Our ride home was uneventful. It goes with the territory around here.

MillieS
December 21st, 2014, 10:31 AM
We live in deer country and over the years we have hit several..When you see a deer you slow down as chances are there is one you don't see..Deer rarely travel alone.

Sandy Navas
December 21st, 2014, 11:18 AM

Shucks. Up here they put up signs telling the deer where to cross the road. We haven't figured out just how the deer learned to read though . . . and some of them are definitely defiant to any rules and regulations and simply cross where they feel like it.

Monique
December 21st, 2014, 03:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI

oldsewer
December 21st, 2014, 04:23 PM
This morning, just as Mom and I were getting ready to head for church, my sister in law called her to say they had been in a bad car wreck. Deer. Both my brother and sister in law were ok; totaled the car. We are country people and used to the deer threat, but my bro said he had 1 second's notice and couldn't have swerved anyway since they were on a hill. The buck appeared to have survived (disappeared) but may have been badly injured. It's mating season, which makes roads even more dangerous. We take so much for granted. They were on the way to church, not travelling fast, daylight, knowledgeable of conditions, and still not safe. Thank you God for the blessings that are given.

lourixe
December 21st, 2014, 07:04 PM

Shucks. Up here they put up signs telling the deer where to cross the road. We haven't figured out just how the deer learned to read though . . . and some of them are definitely defiant to any rules and regulations and simply cross where they feel like it.

I live also in the country, surrounded by animals. I always slow down as I come by the areas there is more risk of deer to show up, like the small creek short before my house. But I am even more scaried by wildboars. Since wolves' numbers have gone down (their only predators here), wildboars thrive in this pasture/corn culture area. They are stubborn and are known to attack even parked cars. A neighbour woke up with a flat tire, and when he had it repaired, they found a boar's tooth (fang? tusk? I don't know the proper name). They are heavy built: no matter how sturdy your car is, if you hit one of them, it will be totalled and you are lucky if you come out of the wreck uninjured.

Last spring I missed a bunch of them -suposedly a female with her offspring- by two seconds, as they were crossing the road in a row. About 1/4 mile BEFORE the sign that warns of wild animal presence.

buckeyequilter
January 2nd, 2015, 12:29 AM
I hit 'em. That woke me up at 6:30 a.m.