PDA

View Full Version : Dog toy!

Gina
December 20th, 2014, 10:54 PM
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607989819865499490&pid=15.1&P=0

Has anyone every made one of these? I have never heard of them until today. My aunt asked how hard it would be to make one. The one they bought at the pet store was just plain material. I thought these were cute! Their dog Annie loves them! They have already been through 2 of them. And the third one is about done in! They have an empty water bottle inside!

irishrn
December 20th, 2014, 11:04 PM
They are cute. I've never seen them!!

Hulamoon
December 20th, 2014, 11:12 PM
I v'e heard about them before. If your not giving them as a gift you can just use a sock. My puppy is a distructor, so I think I will make him one. Better the bottle then my arm!

Gina
December 20th, 2014, 11:16 PM
If you google dog water bottle buddy or crunchers they have a lot of different styles! My mini's love to chew on water bottles, but rarely do. I'm scared it might cut their gums to bad. This is a great alternative!

songbird857
December 20th, 2014, 11:23 PM
I have seen these in the pet store - refused to buy one though because I tell myself 'oh I can make that!'... now I just actually have to make one. :)

Gina
December 20th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Anyone know what the best fabric choice would be to make them with?

Hulamoon
December 20th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Anyone know what the best fabric choice would be to make them with?

Since I have a new puppy I went overboard buying toys. lol They are made from plush fabric. But his favorite for awhile was just a sock with a squeaky tied in it. I got them on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/213901141/10-clear-35mm-whistle-plush-toy-squeaker?ref=sc_1&plkey=44be463f30155729d7e0b44c5b628b128c868523%3A2 13901141&ga_search_query=squeaky+toy&ga_search_type=supplies&ga_view_type=gallery

Gina
December 20th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Lorie, thanks for the link! My two love the squeaky ones too! I never knew you could buy just the squeaky! I will order some of these and make some! Think I will make them both a bottle buddy for their stockings!

Hulamoon
December 20th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Lorie, thanks for the link! My two love the squeaky ones too! I never knew you could buy just the squeaky! I will order some of these and make some! Think I will make them both a bottle buddy for their stockings!

There are different sizes, so check around I bought them for my dd when she was living here with her dog and he is a monster size. lol But worked for my little guy. Put three in a sock with seam inbetween and it's just heaven for them!

It's like Catnip for dogs. lol

Pandabear
December 21st, 2014, 12:00 AM
I just saw one of those in the grocery store. I can't buy anything like that since I have labs. That being said... one of the things I am constantly taking away from the youngest lab is the plastic water bottle he somehow gets ahold of. He likes the sound of the crunching.

Sharyn J
December 21st, 2014, 12:01 AM
LOL, our Cyrus used to love squeeky toys, but it was always a bet on how long it would take him to remove the squeeky. Usually only a few minutes! R.I.P. Cyrus

Gina
December 21st, 2014, 12:09 AM
Sorry for your loss, Sharon! He was handsome! I can see why it only took a few minutes!

Hulamoon
December 21st, 2014, 12:19 AM
I know, look at those jaws! It's hard losing a pet :(

songbird857
December 21st, 2014, 11:31 AM
Seriously, my dog loves paper towel tubes after they are empty :) oh... And she steals my dish towels from the oven door.

Sandy Navas
December 21st, 2014, 11:43 AM
It is so funny with DeeOGee - he only has had three toys that he'll play with. One is a fuzzy red spotted monkey that we keep in the shop and the other two are 'road-kill' that I found at Sam's club one year - there's a skunk and a possum and they have a large piece of what looks like a tire across their back. Any other toy we've tried to give him gets ignored. But tell him to go get his skunk, or possum, or monkey . . . and he's in heaven for a while. Loves making us throw sticks for him when we're outside though.

lourixe
December 21st, 2014, 07:11 PM
I just saw one of those in the grocery store. I can't buy anything like that since I have labs. That being said... one of the things I am constantly taking away from the youngest lab is the plastic water bottle he somehow gets ahold of. He likes the sound of the crunching.
My dogs are German shepherd mixes, and they love any plastic that crunches: bottles, flowerpots... Even If they have to empty them from my pansies first. :(

Dollyquilts
December 21st, 2014, 07:21 PM
Stuffed dog toys don't last long here, but the Skinnees, long skinny unstuffed toys with a squeaker, last a good while even though they play tug-a-way with them. A friend of mine told me she was just going to buy a bag of stuffing at JoAnn's because if she gives her dogs a stuffed toy, within an hour there's stuffing all over the floor <lol>. Those water bottle toys are really cute. I may have to make some and see how they hold up.

K. McEuen
December 21st, 2014, 07:27 PM
I used to give my lab a gallon plastic milk jug or a 2 liter empty soda bottle and she would chase it around the backyard for hours. She loved those things.

Gina
December 21st, 2014, 07:38 PM
Seriously, my dog loves paper towel tubes after they are empty :) oh... And she steals my dish towels from the oven door.
My mini's think that anything they can reach belongs to them...kitchen towels, socks, action figures, bed skirts, even the Christmas tree and ornaments are not off limits! :icon_heh: My hubby has lost not one but two pairs of Ray-Ban sunglasses to Chief! Hubby says he is the most expensive dog he has ever seen! Lol! Bo likes to be sneaky, he gets up in the middle of the night and hunts things to tear up!

Dollyquilts
December 21st, 2014, 08:10 PM
Gina, mini whats? My mini longhaired doxy loves my fuzzy socks. She steals them and buries them in the back yard. Only problem is, I have no socks that have a mate. She only takes one.

Dolly

irishrn
December 21st, 2014, 09:48 PM
Dogs are so funny with the things they steal and hide. I've had dogs that stole socks, one lab that ate every piece of paper she could find, including checks!! ( taken off the counter in the kitchen)
I had shelties that hid toys everywhere!
Current new rescue CASEY is so far only into trying to catch squirrels, cats and birds!! Everything else doesn't interest him!!
So far he hasn't been fast enough to bring me any animals!! But he sure has come mighty close!!
And he is my first dog who realizes the squirrel actually went up the tree!!! All the others never figured it out!!
He'd prefer to snuggle with us than any toy we've given him! And that's nice? :-)

ilive2craft2
December 21st, 2014, 10:02 PM
We tried one of the toys with the empty water bottle inside - our golden chewed a hole in the top end and pulled the bottle out. He also tears apart other toys to get the squeakers. The one type of toy that lasted the longest were the flat cat ones - they had multiple squeakers and were made out of duck cloth - the body would be emptied, but the arms and head would still be stuffed. I can't find them anymore.

Carrie J
December 21st, 2014, 10:39 PM
Gina, my Boston LOVES these toys, but with her "destructo" bulldog jaws, they are "I KEEL YOU!!" quickly, lol! Luckily, the body survives a tad longer and I just slap a new water bottle in it for her. Never thought about making them, uhhhhhhh, no pass, I'd never work on another quilt again thanks to my black and white toy killing machine!

Sandy Navas
December 21st, 2014, 11:01 PM
Current new rescue CASEY is so far only into trying to catch squirrels, cats and birds!! Everything else doesn't interest him!!
So far he hasn't been fast enough to bring me any animals!! But he sure has come mighty close!!
And he is my first dog who realizes the squirrel actually went up the tree!!! All the others never figured it out!!
He'd prefer to snuggle with us than any toy we've given him! And that's nice? :-)

That is so funny - because DeeOGee hasn't figured out where the squirrels go either. He's come very, very close to catching them, but if they get to the tree he doesn't know to look up. Poor boy.

On another note, our outdoor cat, Puddy Pie, was busy stalking five huge Tom Turkeys in the back yard this afternoon. Wouldn't know what to do with one if she caught it, though she does show up crying her head off when she brings us a shrew, a mouse, or a vole.

Hulamoon
December 21st, 2014, 11:17 PM
I just made a toy. He hasn't figured it out yet. Moose sock from Alaska.

Pandabear
December 22nd, 2014, 12:52 AM
So far the only thing my 3 labs haven't been able to chew through is a dog bone thing (for lack of a better term) from LL Bean. Kongs last about 2 to 3 days. Cow knuckle bones last awhile, but they chew them down to nothing.

Hulamoon
December 22nd, 2014, 01:02 AM
Have you ever heard of Bully Sticks? They last forever. You can read what they are. lol

What are Bully Sticks? - Best Bully Sticks (http://www.bestbullysticks.com/t/what-are-bully-sticks)

Gina
December 22nd, 2014, 03:29 AM
Gina, mini whats? My mini longhaired doxy loves my fuzzy socks. She steals them and buries them in the back yard. Only problem is, I have no socks that have a mate. She only takes one.

Dolly

Dolly, I have two miniature schnauzers! Chief is 13 years old and Bobo (Bo) is around 10 years old! We rescued Bo from a kennel in Cullman, AL when he was around 3 years old. They were not sure of his exact age.

Gina
December 22nd, 2014, 03:36 AM
I just made a toy. He hasn't figured it out yet. Moose sock from Alaska.

Lorie, that turned out cute! Do you leave the lid on the bottle or take it off?

Dollyquilts
December 22nd, 2014, 02:45 PM
Gina, my doxy is 6 and I have a little rescue mixed breed who is probably around 4. His rescue name when he came to me was Logan, but I changed it to Buddy. He is the happiest, sweetest dog I've ever been around. The AT&T repair guy left the back gate open and he escaped. Honey, the doxy, stayed in the yard, which is surprising because she is the digging escape artist who made me spend $500 hotwiring the fence. A young college-aged guy found him and called me. We met mid-block so I could reclaim him. He said he had fallen in love with him and he was so sweet. The groomers at Petco said the same thing. Our furry friends bring such joy to our lives. They are a true blessing.

Hulamoon
December 22nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
Lorie, that turned out cute! Do you leave the lid on the bottle or take it off?

It is cute,but you should see it now. Poor moose. lol I have some mini bottles that I think are stronger and will leave the cap on this time. My dd's left socks around when they moved out. So I could make a toy everyday. :lol: