PDA

View Full Version : So, what is Hominy?

Sharyn J
December 20th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I'm on a short course to fast meals until Christmas Eve. Found a crockpot recipe for Tomatillo Chilli with Pork and Hominy? What the heck is hominy? It comes in cans, so is it like white beans? What does it taste like?

Is this a southern gal thing? Don't shoot me, I'm just from the south side of Chicago. Does that make me "Southern?"

auntiemern
December 20th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I can only describe it as being blown up corn. Can't stand the stuff myself. Not sure if it is a taste or textural thing.

buckeyequilter
December 20th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I love hominy...it is "blown up" corn.

Here's the definition from Wiki:
To make hominy, field corn (maize) grain is dried, then treated by soaking and cooking the mature (hard) grain in a dilute solution of lye, slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) or wood ash, a process termed nixtamalization.

If you're looking for it...look wherever the Mexican food is.

GuitarGramma
December 20th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I'm from Southern California, but that doesn't qualify either of us to call ourselves Southern! :)

Hominy is a corn product that is similar to polenta. I believe hominy is a bit more gritty than polenta, but you can probably substitute polenta, which I'm sure you can find in Chicago!

Merry Christmas!

JCY
December 20th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Hominy is nothing like polenta. Hominy is large white kernel corn, usually comes in a can. Just google it & you can read all about it & see pictures. I haven't eaten any for years. I limit my corn intake now because of my blood sugars have been running too high.

K. McEuen
December 20th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Hominy is a corn product that is similar to polenta.

No way, no shape, no how! Polenta is a corn meal basted dish, what Southerners know as corm meal mush.

Hominy is exactly what Shirley posted from Wiki. Here, there is a dish called Posole, which is a semi-dry version of hominy, rehydrated and cooked with pork knuckles and red chile with a bit of lime. The canned hominy is sold in regular grocery stores, here it's with the canned veggies, but you might have to look where the Mexican food is.

BTW, I have heard some people refer to "hominy grits" which are grits made from white corn meal instead of yellow.

Angelia
December 20th, 2014, 07:02 PM
You can get it made with yellow or white corn.

snippet
December 20th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Hominy is awesome! I love the stuff. It's in the normal canned veggie aisle down here.

Grits and polenta are the basically same thing, but made with different types of corn. One is coarser than the other and can be substituted in a pinch.

auntiemern
December 20th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Any way you put it...I ain't eatin' it....don't do grits either.Hominy grits, regular grits, or any other kind, lol.....never had polenta so not sure about that one.

Sharyn J
December 20th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Hmmmm, blown up corn huh? I like grits, but the only time I've had them was at a cowboy restaurant downtown........cheese grits! Blew my mind and I didn't even need to dance on the table!

Well, my neighborhood stores are pretty good at having ethnic foods, so maybe I'll try a can. I hope they're not like chic peas......I like the taste but they don't like me! If all else fails, I'll use white beans. :D

Bratbear
December 20th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Just buy it and add it to the dish. You will be amazed at the fact you won't taste it. I hated it as a kid, then this gal made us taco soup, which is browned ground beef and every kind of beans you can think of rotele (spelling) and a can of hominy. Delicious!

Sandy Navas
December 20th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Mine loves me some hominy. We even used to make it at Grandma's - using the ashes from the big caldron where she heated her wash water. The rest of the ashes (aka lye) were used to make soap . . .

Hominy - Mountain Recipe - The Mountain Laurel (http://www.mtnlaurel.com/recipes/160-hominy-mountain-recipe.html)

Lye from wood ash: Journey to Forever (http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_ashlye.html)

bubba
December 20th, 2014, 07:54 PM
We love hominy!!! I know it used to be soaked in lye in the olden days, but I don't know if it still is or not. It's just corn....think corn nuts, but not crunchy.

mpattylou
December 20th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Hominy is actually corn kernels with the outer shell/husk soaked off....so it essentially the inner part of the corn kernel. When the outer shell comes off, the inner part kind of puffs up. I have never eaten eat....but my mom used to make it long long ago.

K. McEuen
December 20th, 2014, 08:17 PM
We used to have a restaurant here that made roasted corn grits. I never cared for grits until I tasted theirs. They roasted the ears of corn over a fire until they got a bit charred and had that nice smokey flavor. Then they made grits out of it. I swear Icould have eaten them by the pound.

My daughter loved hominy when she was a little kid. She would eat a whole can by herself.

If you can't find it, just substitute corn.

bubba
December 20th, 2014, 08:29 PM
If you have a Hispanic / Mexican section in your grocery store, you can usually find it there! It comes in both white and yellow.

Hulamoon
December 20th, 2014, 09:05 PM
My mom used to by it and just buttered and salt and peppered it. It's like eating rice but chunky.

bscuzz
December 20th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Being a Southern girl, I like hominy grits or just plain old grits, cheese grits. If cooked the right way, they're really good; even my Italian hubs loves 'em! I've never cared for just hominy, I think it's tasteless but it can take on flavors from whatever it's cooked with and be pretty tasty! I really enjoyed the article 'Hominy Mountain Recipe fm The Mountain Laurel' - from the sound of it I might like to make it more than eat it! The section about 'fried food' must be time-honored since as a kid we had a lot of fried food even with a 'fancy cook stove' and again as a kid we always had home-made apple butter! My Southern roots are humming.

Gina
December 20th, 2014, 10:20 PM
I can only describe it as being blown up corn. Can't stand the stuff myself. Not sure if it is a taste or textural thing.

What she said! lol

Sharyn J
December 20th, 2014, 10:37 PM
OK 'ya all', I'm going to try it. Must make another grocery store run tomorrow. I'm game. I like corn, I like grits, so if it fits somewhere in there, it will probably be fine. I was a sucker at the store today and actually bought a magazine full of slow cooker recipes by the American Test Kitchens. Lots of good recipes in there, all in one magazine. No wonder they put these by the check-out counter, when I'm very hungry!

I have two more rounds of Kolochky dough and mini cheesecakes to make tomorrow. Christmas dinner will be very simple: baked ham, party potatoes, veggies, and a few other goodies. Will get the GD's to help.

I have a house full of sick people, including myself, so energy is at a low level. Just trying to get through the next few days on made-ahead meals. On a good note, I gave my neighbor the Frost table runner and coasters today. She was thrilled. I am always happy when someone else appreciates the little things in life.

Thanks friends!

ldnanny3
December 21st, 2014, 12:37 AM
I don't think it has much of a flavor, I remember many years ago my Grandmother, Mother & Aunt making some in the back yard in a big iron pot over a wood fire, yes it is made with lye or something. They were making it just for the fun and to see if they really could make it.

Genny
December 21st, 2014, 02:28 AM
I ate a lot of hominy when I was a child. We didn't have much money and hominy must have been really cheap...and to this day I can remember hating it.

bubba
December 21st, 2014, 02:40 AM
Yum!!! Love Kolochies!!! There used to be a place here that sold them and the deputies would bring them in to us at the radio, but they have been gone for years, much to my dismay.

GuitarGramma
December 21st, 2014, 03:59 AM
I am so embarrassed.! My only possible excuse is that I used to work at Denny's, which is where I mis-learned what I thought I knew. We had hominy grits on the menu and I didn't have a clue what they were. The waitress who trained me did her best to teach me, but I guess I was hopeless. And until now I never knew there was a difference between hominy and hominy grits! Boy, do I feel like a ditz.

shermur
December 21st, 2014, 02:51 PM
We love hominy in this house! In fact, it's my daughter's (Halona) favorite! She can eat a whole can by herself!

MartinaG
December 21st, 2014, 03:01 PM
Any way you put it...I ain't eatin' it....don't do grits either.Hominy grits, regular grits, or any other kind, lol.....never had polenta so not sure about that one.
If you don't like the first batch, I'd suggest you stay away from polenta. It is made from corn meal and it is definitely an acquired taste.

I've seen the cans of hominy corn in the stores but never felt the need to buy one. The only reference I've heard is "Hominy Grits" and I honestly DESPISE grits.

Hulamoon
December 21st, 2014, 03:09 PM
I don't think I have had grits. I want to know what the big deal is about risotto. I watch a lot of cooking shows (especially compitition) and they are always making it. What's so special about it?

Sandy Navas
December 21st, 2014, 03:22 PM
I don't think I have had grits. I want to know what the big deal is about risotto. I watch a lot of cooking shows (especially compitition) and they are always making it. What's so special about it?

Once upon a time, someone was 'trying' to make some good rice and didn't use the recipe or learn from an expert rice chef. So they added way too much liquid and stirred and stirred and stirred and stirred until the rice totally broke down and became a rice gravy with no taste, so they renamed it, added some herbs and everyone applauded and proclaimed it good.

Sewbee
December 21st, 2014, 03:44 PM
Personally, I don't care for Hominy. My husband on the other hand grew up eating it and I always keep a few cans on hand for when he wants his "veggie" meal. He is generally a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy, but a meal he often had as a child consisted of Hominy, Pinto Beans, sliced fresh garden tomatoes, fresh thick sliced onions and cornbread!

I always find the cans of Hominy in the canned vegetable section at the grocery store along with the other versions of canned corn.

:)

Hulamoon
December 21st, 2014, 03:48 PM
lol Sandy I like your dictionary discription. We have a Chinese dish here called Jook (congee) That fits this. Dh used to make it with left over rice and Thankgiving turkey. I have a Martin Yan book with a recipe from scratch. The kids used to love it. I think I will make some for dd and her ummm boyfriend. :icon_rolleyes:

bubba
December 21st, 2014, 05:05 PM
Reading more of this post makes me hungry for some fried corn meal mush....too bad I don't have any in the house!!! :icon_cry: :icon_drool:

Dollyquilts
December 21st, 2014, 06:06 PM
My mom used to serve hominy. I was kind of neutral about it. I've never served it or grits, but my niece served them at a family function and they were good. My daughter has never served hominy or grits either. Not sure she's even tasted them. Grits are a nice substitute for rice. I'll have to suggest it to her since I eat at her house several times a week. Her hubby does most of the cooking because she has a hellacious commute and gets home just in time to pick up the DGD from dance most nights.

Bubby
December 21st, 2014, 06:43 PM
Hominy comes in white or yellow. I can't stand it at all, but it's used a lot in Mexican soups and stews. Many people love it - I'm just not a fan.