PDA

View Full Version : now is not the time.....

bubba
December 20th, 2014, 01:40 AM
My foot is about the worse it has ever been. I have all orders made, still two deliveries to make. And one quilt top to quilt! I don't know if it's going to get done or not now.......woe is me.

At least all presents are bought, still waiting for a couple to arrive on the doorstep and then they need to be wrapped. Oh, and there is still the problem with the tree not being up yet! MM asked about it today and he seems to think we don't need it!! Uh, the grandkids will be here Christmas Eve, and yes, we do need the tree up Mr. Scrooge!! It's not like you have to hike to the forest and chop it down.....it's down in the basement in the box...remember?

Oh, and then when I was at class last night, the owner handed me an envelope, said here, this is for you! There is also something else that goes with it! Uh, what? A contract to teach bag of the month!!! At least one class a month...two if you want! You can pick the dates!!! Everyone loves you! They want more classes from you and only you and want to make bags!!!! Really.....woe is me.

And please...someone tell me, how can my foot hurt like this all the say to my hip? I've had it in reverse, but never this direction! Aye yi yi!!

MomGram
December 20th, 2014, 02:04 AM
The doctor said the pain travels to other areas because as we move we adjust our bodies to avoid the pain. Since we are moving differently/or incorrectly the other areas become irritated. I hope you feel better soon take care of yourself.

stationarymom
December 20th, 2014, 02:59 AM
Pat doesn't it feel good for people to request you? I know you are tired and sore but at least it's not from sitting in a chair day after day because you have no where to be and nothing to do.My father found himself in that situation after he retired it was sad.I wish you luck in your new classes should you choose to do them.

bubba
December 20th, 2014, 03:09 AM
It does, but it doesn't Joan. I have had fun teaching the classes I have already taught, however, I have had problems with the shop owner in the fact that she did not have the patterns and she also did not have needed supplies in the shop to be bought, ie feet, sliders, toggles, etc. One woman had her husband running around buying them and bringing them to them! Also, after insisting I make up an elaborate and very involved class supply list, nobody was given it. I will have to make a list of wants and must haves and have a sit down with her before it goes any further.

Quiltfreestyle
December 20th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Hey Pat. I hope your foot gets better real quick. It's no fun being sick or in pain at Christmas. You need to be in good shape to chase the grand kids. Ha ha
Good luck in your new teaching career, the shop owner will have to agree to your conditions since so many people want to take your classes. I told you before you need to do a Craftsy class for the rest of us. LOL

Monique
December 20th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Feel better soon.

Andrea F
December 20th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Hope your foot gets better quickly. Are you going to do it? I vote for the craftsy class too! I would take it.

Sandy Navas
December 20th, 2014, 10:28 AM
It does, but it doesn't Joan. I have had fun teaching the classes I have already taught, however, I have had problems with the shop owner in the fact that she did not have the patterns and she also did not have needed supplies in the shop to be bought, ie feet, sliders, toggles, etc. One woman had her husband running around buying them and bringing them to them! Also, after insisting I make up an elaborate and very involved class supply list, nobody was given it. I will have to make a list of wants and must haves and have a sit down with her before it goes any further.

Most definitely - get your ducks in a row and come up with a formal contract. Otherwise she'll take you to the cleaners.

Grandma G
December 20th, 2014, 10:51 AM
MomGram is correct. Other parts of your body tend to compensate for the way you carry yourself when in pain. That's why doctors prefer you come in to see them as soon as an injury has occurred. You asked how your foot can cause pain upward! Heck, it has no where to go but upward!!

I am so sorry life is so crazy right now. Had to laugh about MM's attitude on decorating. My sweet dh tends to feel that way, too. Maybe it has something to do with the 35 plus plastic tubs of Christmas decorations that we have... In any event, the house is decorated, the last of the presents are almost wrapped and my quilting is finally finished for Christmas. Now my dining room table can be cleared and the Christmas runner I made for myself can finally see the light of day on it.

As for your teaching contract - I'm with you. It is hard to say yes to something with that owner's track record. If you do go for it be sure all your requirements are in writing and let her know you don't have a problem with walking out if she doesn't honor your wishes. She is being sweet now because she wants something from you. Having gotten to know you through this forum I'm pretty sure you won't take any guff from her.

I hope you mend soon. BTW - being stressed doesn't help medical conditions. At least that is what my future daughter-in-law, the doctor, "stressed" to me when she told me that last week when we were "sharing" .

Take care!!!

songbird857
December 20th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Feel better Pat - and get EVERYTHING in writing so there is no confusion on either side.

Eriepatch
December 20th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Pat, you need to take some time to heal. You can't teach or sew or anything if you don't
make yourself a priority! And yes, make sure the shop owner is on board with your rules!

GrammaBabs
December 20th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Gotta chime in here.... GF... I've been in your shoes... "it's tuff being liked and in demand"... LOL... YES,, it's a good feeling.. but too much of a good thing is really BAD... sound ungreateful, but it's true... when too many want too much,, and your not a NO kind of gal... it's only YOU that suffers...
First.. it would not hurt to have some bloodwork for RA (rheumatoid arth).... it's a pain from the "inside" that travels ,,, hard to describe but REAL and most painful..I am in remission,, and very happy to be so.. NEVER knew pain could be so relentless..

I think your the gal that "does it all" right?... Tell DH that the boxed tree NEEDS to come upstairs.. it would mean a lot to you... I have the opposite... My DH is a control freak and is constantly "thinking ahead".. it's exhausting.. never a happy medium right:)
Hang in there... it's a shame when we have to rush through with "gritted teeth"... Those days are gone for me,, and I'm not going back!... Take care.. Hugs, B

bscuzz
December 20th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Can I say, take care of your leg, see the Dr., your health is not like Christmas and the next day it's over!! Why is Christmas so "in your face"??? I want, I want, I want, gimme, gimme, gimme, "we" (we know who 'we' is) can do this, we can do this, we can do this - yeah, yeah, yeah - and the next day it's all over?!?!?!?! I feel like Scrooge, but "Bah Humbug" is the best I can do this year!! Feel Better!

whippetmom
December 20th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I am sorry you are not feeling great Pat. The foot is a problem, but maybe some kind of stool under your sewing machine to prop it up? I have a bad hip and my leg as bothered me so we bought a really small step stool that I sit under the machine and rest the left leg. It has helped. I also have to get up and move about every 20 minutes or so, even if it is to just walk around in the room for a couple of minutes.
As to the contract, make sure it is to your liking and have the owner PUT ON THE SIGN UP SHEET all the items needed to attend the class. That way they will know ahead of time what to bring. Make sure the owner has all the supplies at least three weeks before the class, if she runs out then at least she had them before. I am going to get to one of your classes sometime this year, just do not know when. I will email you before I take the class just in case so that I am sure I have all items !!!!!

alliek
December 20th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I sure hope your foot and hip get better., Heat, and analgesics (if you can take them), and rest it as best you can, when you can. I know because I am going through the same thing with my back to my shoulder and neck (arthritis) and it moves. Write down everything you need/want for your classes. Then present this and yes, get a contract with all this in writing. Just feel better soon. Waiting for my DD to come today for two weeks, she will help me decorate the tree,bake,finish the Xmas shopping. God Bless.

bubba
December 20th, 2014, 04:38 PM
My leg and hip are fine this morning......my foot not so much! This is not an injury this time. A couple years ago, I developed planters fasciitis which was caused by two large bone spurs I have on the bottom of my heel. That has cleared up. The Achilles tendonitis they found at the same time, also caused by a bone spur never has. Three doctors have told me there is nothing to be done for it as the surgery is normally not successful. Because of the ortho boot they had me in for five months, I developed arthritis in that same ankle. So, the two combined, especially in this wet, cold weather, does not make for a happy Pat. I will say, I had a nice long spring and summer and fall that was mostly pain free, but the past week I've been tempted to get the chainsaw from the garage and give myself an amputation!

Today is also the anniversary for MM and myself....39 years! Who would have thunk?

Learner quilter
December 20th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Happy Anniversary.. do you think you will keep him? Or is he still on trial? XXX

bubba
December 20th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Happy Anniversary.. do you think you will keep him? Or is he still on trial? XXX

Haven't thought that far!!

Hulamoon
December 20th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Happy Anniversary! You need a break girlfriend. You have been doing some mad sewing lately. Get some rest have some romance today:icon_hug:

Learner quilter
December 20th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Haven't thought that far!!

Tell him "Tree up .. Or you are out.." Merry Christmas hope you get better soon. I have found a bag pattern on- line and will give it a try, all because of your pictures. It is simple not as fancy as yours.. X

ceiliam
December 20th, 2014, 05:15 PM
first Congratulations on 39 years .. a milestone. Im sorry for your pain , feet are the worst . my sweet 89 year old mom really suffers with foot pain, doesn't stop her however. Wish I was near you to take a bag class, they terrify me . However make sure the owner does what you want and need her to do . Good luck and hope that works out. Now getting rest will help with the stress

Iris Girl
December 20th, 2014, 05:15 PM
I say sit back relax, enjoy your retirement. The classes ...meh been there done that for 4 years, its great to be loved by everyone. But you need time for you do what you want not what everyone else wants. The extra cash on the side is nice , but not if its interfering and making you rush and hurt.

jjkaiser
December 20th, 2014, 05:24 PM
So sorry for all your troubles. When they pile up all at once and you aren't feeling good it's easy to become overwhelmed. Tell DH HE is in charge of the tree this year. Tell the lady at the quilt shop you will "consider" her offer to reach but you just can't make a commitment in writing just yet. If she wants you she will wait. You have to learn to practice Me First until you are feeling better. Now try to relax, get a glass of bubbly something and put on some traditional Christmas music...